Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
rumor has it kelvin's fighting weidman. kelvin will win too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Unfunny Poster posted:

It is awesome that half of Garbrandts TUF team got eliminated.

that loving poetry bit caused me actual pain

After we watched it my wife said "I think Jesse Taylor has an acquired brain injury".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Joe Daddy is a poet, and he knows it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cody Garbrandt blowing his load early, you say?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

WEIGH INS MUTHAFUCKAS

ARIEL HELWANI COMMENTATING IN HUSHED TONES: http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/12/15626786/ufc-211-weigh-in-video

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The genetic passport is lovely because a fighter can fail retroactively and be punished because certain "levels" have "changed." IMO it's unethical to find guilt when they haven't even identified that a banned substance was taken to begin with.

:siren:Bad analogy incoming :siren: It'd be like the police comparing your bank statements and salary from 5 years ago and determining that you had too much money running through your account, therefore you are guilty of armed robbery.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marching Powder posted:

rumor has it kelvin's fighting weidman. kelvin will win too.

Maybe Kelvin was the savior all along? I'd like him to smash weidman and call out jon jones, lol

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Jared Gordon vs. Michel Quinones cancelled according to Helwani.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

No drama so far. Maia looked kinda hosed up IMO but made weight.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Masvidal has to get nekkid but weighs in at 171.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

tesilential posted:

IMO it's unethical to find guilt when they haven't even identified that a banned substance was taken to begin with.

Except they did find a banned substance.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tesilential posted:

The genetic passport is lovely because a fighter can fail retroactively and be punished because certain "levels" have "changed." IMO it's unethical to find guilt when they haven't even identified that a banned substance was taken to begin with.

:siren:Bad analogy incoming :siren: It'd be like the police comparing your bank statements and salary from 5 years ago and determining that you had too much money running through your account, therefore you are guilty of armed robbery.

You don't get flagged for levels changing on the genetic passport, you get tested for drugs that they don't normally test for but that might have caused the change.

It's like you signing an agreement to let the police monitor your bank statements and pay stubs, and if they find any anomalies, they investigate further. Don't abuse analogies when you haven't even read the article.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

Thats not what happens, they keep your old samples and if levels change suspiciously they can re-test the old samples with a better idea of what theyre looking for. Penne got flagged because of unusual variation in the passport and they went back and tested an old sample and found a banned substance

A better analogy is that they look at your bank statement and you have too much money running through your account so they look into it and find out you committed armed robbery, therefore you are guilty of armed robbery

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
lol, beaten

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Medical surveillance is bad but were talking about people beating each other up for entertainment, its probably less concerning that some sanctioning body has your hematocrit levels on record than if they half-assed the drug testing like in other sports and the guy making 11/11 gets his head caved in by a guy who can afford to abuse designer PEDs

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Now Jon Anik has joined Helwani. This is like an ASMR video about beating the poo poo out of people

Edit: Vick also makes weight via getting nekkid

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not talking about Penne.

I recall reading the actual USADA policy regarding Genetic passport and it explicitly stated if things seem out of whack they could punish a fighter without actually identifying which banned substance was taken. Could be recalling incorrectly but I remember that standing out at the time, will try to find the quote again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

manyak posted:

Medical surveillance is bad but were talking about people beating each other up for entertainment, its probably less concerning that some sanctioning body has your hematocrit levels on record than if they half-assed the drug testing like in other sports and the guy making 11/11 gets his head caved in by a guy who can afford to abuse designer PEDs

It absolutely surprises me to this day that when the UFC realised they should probably clean things up a bit, instead of calling whoever the NFL uses for their "testing", they got USADA on the phone and agreed to their prices.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait until 2060 when testing has advanced to the point USADA can backtest to prove that Everyone is on Steroids and all fights are ruled NC.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
UFC hall of famer Josh Barnett 0-0-43

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Alvarez, Miocic, JDS and JJ still to weigh in.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

tesilential posted:

I'm not talking about Penne.

I recall reading the actual USADA policy regarding Genetic passport and it explicitly stated if things seem out of whack they could punish a fighter without actually identifying which banned substance was taken. Could be recalling incorrectly but I remember that standing out at the time, will try to find the quote again.

They can in theory but they dont really. It wouldnt hold up when the athlete appeals unless there was a ton of evidence . Its happened a few times when someones hormone levels go up 10x overnight or something that cant be explained physiologically by any other means, and at that point its not really any different than conventional drug testing that looks for biological markers of drug use

99% of the cases they see some suspicious levels and they retest the sample and find something

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Stipe weighed in fine, 246.2

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its no good for anyone involved if someone gets wrongly sanctioned so youll hardly ever see it happen. even in cases where the athlete was probably on something it can end in disaster for the doping agency and the promotion if it cant be proven beyond doubt, cyclist roberto heras was recently awarded the equivalent of $1 million for successfully appealing an EPO sanction, despite testing positive for EPO

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Just JJ, JDS and Alvarez now. Not sure if Pettis needs to weigh in to get his show money? Quinones just did.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a dog, best weigh-in livestream of all time.

lol, Eddie's face when the official said "one fifty-six point... zero".

Memento fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 12, 2017

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Alvarez makes weight.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Hopefully JJ isn't the latest fighter to fall afoul of the Embedded curse

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

30mins left for JDS and JJ to weigh in I think.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Probably a dumb question, but why would JDS not have weighed in yet since he fights like 30 pounds under the heavyweight limit? Is he just running late or something?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My first thought when I saw jj eating that cupcake was that she's hosed and not making weight. Andrade will win

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Probably a dumb question, but why would JDS not have weighed in yet since he fights like 30 pounds under the heavyweight limit? Is he just running late or something?

That's what has been confusing me as well. He's not a massive HW.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you only get a fine for showing up late anyway .. its not exactly dramatic. and i think the champ gets an extra few hours in an emergency anyway

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

JDS makes weight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Joanna being real late is a bit worrying especially after tons of shots in the Embedded of her eating seemingly a decent amount of junk food.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
She made the weight, looks like a tough cut as she does seem to be visibly shaking. I'd say more money may start coming in on Andrade now.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

JJ defeats the Embedded curse and makes weight.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
JJ 115.0, looks like grim death

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

she coulda made an effort to stay much bigger this camp bc she knows andrajde is gonna push her around. she also abandoned her usual intimidation tactics in the buildup, which is interesting.

Jessica's assessment had a realistic candor that makes me think she has a good chance. she straight up says that jj is the more complete fighter but that shes going to be afraid of getting hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

I.N.R.I posted:

its no good for anyone involved if someone gets wrongly sanctioned so youll hardly ever see it happen. even in cases where the athlete was probably on something it can end in disaster for the doping agency and the promotion if it cant be proven beyond doubt, cyclist roberto heras was recently awarded the equivalent of $1 million for successfully appealing an EPO sanction, despite testing positive for EPO

Isn't that because of false positives? One of the reason cycling was so obviously doped to the gills was that every single test ever was coming up negative, if the tests were legitimate and no one was doping, you would randomly get a false positive and have to retest the sample. That's got nothing to do with the biological passport which, for instance, says your testosterone has been between 600-2100, a bit above normal human range but with enough scope to be realistic your whole life, and if you suddenly start hitting 10000, something fucky is going on, even if you don't test positive for Test roids blood sample wise.

They have to do this because there is a Testosterone that you literally can't catch in someone's blood if you don't test them whilst they are using it that very second and can be flushed very easily out of the system.

• Locked thread