Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I can't get over the Henckels. Like really, was this dude sharpening this poo poo every week on a belt sander or axe grinder or something? assuming the bolster is the frame of reference for where the heel of the knife originally was, jesus christ 0_0;;

My dad's Henckels looked like that after 10 years on the supplied Henckels pull through sharpener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FogHelmut posted:

My dad's Henckels looked like that after 10 years on the supplied Henckels pull through sharpener.

Same except it has been about 20+ years. It's his boning knife now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So I've been using this knife for 4+ year that I picked up in a thrift store as part of a knife block random "set". It's pretty beat up but it seems like the stamped marking is on the wrong side of the blade compared to every example I can find online for sale.

I was planning to take it to a local knife store along with some Shun knives I have to get them sharpened but if its just some $10 knife I'd rather not waste the time. I've also bought a 1000/6000 grit sharpening stone that I planned to use to maintain the knives but I wasn't comfortable trying to restore a dull edge completely so I'd rather make the effort with the maybe-fake Henckels and get the muscle memory down before trying with the Shun knives.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
What are people's opinion of the Shun Classic or Wusthof Classic? I have some money to spend at Williams Sonoma and both of these seem like a good upgrade from an 8" Fibrox that I haven't sharpened in forever.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't like teh wustof's bolster.

If you won't sharpen just get cutco or w/e

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Kinfolk Jones posted:

What are people's opinion of the Shun Classic or Wusthof Classic? I have some money to spend at Williams Sonoma and both of these seem like a good upgrade from an 8" Fibrox that I haven't sharpened in forever.
Just sharpen your fibrox.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm a fan of my 8" Wusthof Classic chef's knife. Knives are so personal, the guy above does not like the bolster but I find it quite nice. I've had mine for about 3 years now and no complaints.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm a fan of my 8" Wusthof Classic chef's knife. Knives are so personal, the guy above does not like the bolster but I find it quite nice. I've had mine for about 3 years now and no complaints.

The problem with the bolster is that as you sharpen the blade the edge recedes and eventually you can't make contact with the cutting board with the flat proportion of the blade because the bolster gets in the way. This takes a long time but it does happen eventually if you sharpen your knives.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
+1 on not liking the bolster on the classics. I have wustof knives, and they're great - but I prefer the ikon with the higher bolster. also, did I mention messermeister? really still loving that blade after a couple months of using it. I use it side by side with a wustof, as well.

also shuns are really nice, but I prefer my MAC. that said, I have other super thin brittle hanzo steel, so if I didn't have that I might go for a shun - I always have fun using them when I go to someone's house who has (and maintains) them.

I might have too many knives :ohdear:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The problem with the bolster is that as you sharpen the blade the edge recedes and eventually you can't make contact with the cutting board with the flat proportion of the blade because the bolster gets in the way. This takes a long time but it does happen eventually if you sharpen your knives.

Gotcha. I haven't gotten there yet, but I see what you mean now.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had no complaints about my Henckels until I used a Japanese style knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VERTiG0 posted:

Gotcha. I haven't gotten there yet, but I see what you mean now.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Just got MY favourite Wusthof 8" chefs knife sharpened this weekend and look what came back:

Top is the sharpened one, now with mirror finish. Only 11 years old so bolster intact.
Bottom is the carving knife from the same block, unsharpened, but still sharp enough to use - with original satin finish.

I think I preferred the original finish, is there any difference in performance? Jerry the Knife Guy was very informative, but didn't think to ask him why he did the mirror finish. Maybe to justify the $40 service?

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Kinfolk Jones posted:

May be bullshit, but when I got the Wusthof Classic chefs knife above sharpened, the guy cracked a woody and reckoned it was worth $249 alone.
The 5 blade block (7 pieces including scissors and steel) it came in was $400 11 years ago. Nice knife, lasted me a long time between pro sharpenings.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BastardAus posted:

Just got MY favourite Wusthof 8" chefs knife sharpened this weekend and look what came back:

Top is the sharpened one, now with mirror finish. Only 11 years old so bolster intact.
Bottom is the carving knife from the same block, unsharpened, but still sharp enough to use - with original satin finish.

I think I preferred the original finish, is there any difference in performance? Jerry the Knife Guy was very informative, but didn't think to ask him why he did the mirror finish. Maybe to justify the $40 service?

My guess - he went crazy with a bench grinder to restore the edge (it's absolutely the fastest way to get it done, at the expense of taking a ton of material with it). In the process he probably marred either the surface of the knife or left noticeable tool marks on the bevel somewhere. Polished the poo poo out of it to make it less obvious.

So no, there shouldn't be a difference in performance. He's just your standard knife guy, albeit with higher prices - typically ~ $2/inch is standard, sometimes with a small service fee.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

My guess - he went crazy with a bench grinder to restore the edge (it's absolutely the fastest way to get it done, at the expense of taking a ton of material with it). In the process he probably marred either the surface of the knife or left noticeable tool marks on the bevel somewhere. Polished the poo poo out of it to make it less obvious.

So no, there shouldn't be a difference in performance. He's just your standard knife guy, albeit with higher prices - typically ~ $2/inch is standard, sometimes with a small service fee.

It's probably this, also you better hope he didn't ruin the heat treat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BastardAus posted:

May be bullshit, but when I got the Wusthof Classic chefs knife above sharpened, the guy cracked a woody and reckoned it was worth $249 alone.
The 5 blade block (7 pieces including scissors and steel) it came in was $400 11 years ago. Nice knife, lasted me a long time between pro sharpenings.

I hate to say it, but this is a classic sales technique. Telling you that your knife was worth at least $249 alone makes you think you made a wise purchasing decision in the first place, that he's an expert in knives in general, and that it is absolutely worth it to have him professionally care for them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Wusthof classic, don't get me wrong (unless you use it/sharpen it to the point of wearing the blade down past the bolster). If you're happy with it, no need to replace it. But in the future, using a honing steel regularly and a sharpening stone or system (with some help from Youtube or this thread) will save you money in the long run, keep your knife more consistently sharp, and add years to the lifespan of your knife.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

BastardAus posted:

$249, you say?

They're not bad knives at all, but $249 would be robbery.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BastardAus posted:

yeah, unless he is a Polished Knife Enthusiast, he probably scratched something and wanted to cover it up. also $40 sounds absurd, I hope that was the total cost and you got 8-10 knives done. our neighborhood knife dude does them $3-5 per knife just as a point of comparison. which I think is pretty inexpensive, so I'd forgive a dude charging $10 a knife I guess. maybe.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Shooting Blanks posted:

He makes a point of mirror finishing every knife he sharpens, off the back of his (disabled driver) car - probably to justify the price. Good job though.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hate to say it, but this is a classic sales technique. Telling you that your knife was worth at least $249 alone makes you think you made a wise purchasing decision in the first place, that he's an expert in knives in general, and that it is absolutely worth it to have him professionally care for them.

I was totally awake to this little technique, thanks for confirming that I'm not as abject a cynic as I thought I was :)

This reminds me to ask you guys, totally OT – has EVERY sales assistant from clothing to giftware to laser-guided buttplugs have to say as part of their spiel "This one is MY favourite!!"? Crept in about 2 years ago and the more I hear this condescending bullshit from some underpaid teenager the harder I want to slap them. Which is lame because it's not their fault, they're probably being coached to say it, but srsly I'm slightly younger than your dad: don't try and make me feel extra-validated for making a choice, jesus gently caress it demeans us both.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 14, 2017

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Yond Cassius posted:

$249, you say?

They're not bad knives at all, but $249 would be robbery.

Don't forget the Australia tax mate :( (it's robbery alright)

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's probably this, also you better hope he didn't ruin the heat treat.

gently caress, I hope he didn't do that but as he has this mad setup poking out the end of his car(!) I'm guessing there's not enough grunt to equal a bench grinder. Either way, it's a one off for me and I'm happy enough, here's his takeaway instructions - he's a bit eccentric, so don't be too hard on him but please call out obvious bullshit:
Page 1
Page 2

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BastardAus posted:

gently caress, I hope he didn't do that but as he has this mad setup poking out the end of his car(!) I'm guessing there's not enough grunt to equal a bench grinder. Either way, it's a one off for me and I'm happy enough, here's his takeaway instructions - he's a bit eccentric, so don't be too hard on him but please call out obvious bullshit:
Page 1
Page 2

The only thing wrong on the first page is the bit about plastic cutting boards blunting knives, plastic is actually fine. The second page, well, it's right in some ways but very dependant on what sort of knife is being worked on, like the bit about knives being meant to be used with a rocking motion, not all are and not everyone uses a rocking motion. A mirror finish will help to prevent corrosion, but this only really matters to carbon steel knives without stainless cladding which are pretty rare. He's generally right about angles, though he is assuming a very thick blade with a 2-4mm bevel, I prefer a 15° main bevel with an 18° micro-bevel, that's probably not something he can really do on his equipment and is not appropriate for most of your softer steel knives that he is working on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since I've posted a few times asking if anyone knew where i could get a tojiro ITK that didn't require international shipping I found this today that has a bunch of reasonably priced carbon steel japanese knives

http://www.chefslocker.co.uk/carbon-steel.html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I don't live in the UK, op.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BastardAus posted:

Page 1
Page 2

lol

the first obvious bullshit is $40 per knife, gently caress that dude. if he's restoring one completely destroyed with a chipped tip like his 2nd page photo, and it's like loving king authur's motherfucking excalibur of knives, fair enough - but just setting an edge, I mean come on. I realize there's the AUS/USD exchange rate too, but still...

second bullshit is 'longer the taper the sharper the knife' - more like 'the more I make your knife look different from factory, the more I can justify my $40 bullshit'.

no wonder your knife is polished as poo poo, the dude just loves grinding away at knives to remake them to his imaginary perfect specifications.

to be honest I'd be angry if someone took that much metal off my knife for a regular $5 sharpen. sure maybe the knife is sharp as poo poo, and maybe the dude did a good job and the edge will hold for a while - but you took like a centimeter of metal off my poo poo. gently caress you, go slowly destroy someone else's knives for $40. did I mention $40 is like pretty close to half the price of a brand new decent knife?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 15, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Are there really many knives which come from the factory at a 35 degree edge?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

Are there really many knives which come from the factory at a 35 degree edge?

Not many, but sometimes when I'm browsing the kitchen store some major knife brands will have random new angles they're trying out, like 16 or 17 or 18. Why not 15 or 20? I have no idea. But either way, not a whole lot of them do this.

If anything, the main trend I'm noticing is that Western knives are abandoning 20° bevels and going down to 15°, probably because they want that "super sharp out of the factory" perception that Japanese and Victorinox knives have, even if it might be better for their softer steel knives to be 20°

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 15, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

lol

the first obvious bullshit is $40 per knife, gently caress that dude. if he's restoring one completely destroyed with a chipped tip like his 2nd page photo, and it's like loving king authur's motherfucking excalibur of knives, fair enough - but just setting an edge, I mean come on. I realize there's the AUS/USD exchange rate too, but still...

second bullshit is 'longer the taper the sharper the knife' - more like 'the more I make your knife look different from factory, the more I can justify my $40 bullshit'.

no wonder your knife is polished as poo poo, the dude just loves grinding away at knives to remake them to his imaginary perfect specifications.

to be honest I'd be angry if someone took that much metal off my knife for a regular $5 sharpen. sure maybe the knife is sharp as poo poo, and maybe the dude did a good job and the edge will hold for a while - but you took like a centimeter of metal off my poo poo. gently caress you, go slowly destroy someone else's knives for $40. did I mention $40 is like pretty close to half the price of a brand new decent knife?

I have to agree with MP here. You got hosed. I'd be pissed that he made my knife look fugly regardless but he over charged you at the very least. I don't think I've ever paid more than $7 and that knife needed to be repaired to fix a chip.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As a point of reference on prices, the only knife sharpener I know in DC charges $15.75 for a 5-9" and $18.75 for >9". I imagine that's toward the high end in this area, but I sharpen my own so I've never shopped around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know of one guy in Los Angeles who charges $40, but I think that's because he's some super spergy knife expert with a youtube tutorial channel who specializes in Japanese knives and can do asymmetrical bevels. Everyone else is $5-10 here and last time I asked for a chip to be removed it was no extra charge

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018367469/kuroi-hana-japanese-knife-collection-edge-of-belgr

Premium Japanese AUS-10 steel! :allears:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The steel's not crap but everything else around that kickstarter is

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Those knives are plenty pretty but I can't picture using a pinch grip with that awful "ergonomic" handle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

7.5"

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Those knives are plenty pretty but I can't picture using a pinch grip with that awful "ergonomic" handle.

Yeah, I see their knives pop up on a deal website I follow often and I always thought the handles were stupid from a usability standpoint.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Let's turn to a testimonial from a guy who just woke up

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

could be worse

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048684157/fini-cutlery-chef-invented-knives-perfected

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Man, isn't it cool when people reinvent the wheel without bothering to figure out why it was round in the first place?

• Locked thread