Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
less time considering playing more time actually playing

if you hate effort find a different genre

also people have a tendency to make mountains from mole hills with fgs, this is one of the easiest competitive game genres to learn

also tekken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
my advice would be to get tekken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you have a PC download a fightcade romset and just start trying poo poo for free and see what sticks, would be my suggestion. And then in June get tekken

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear Xrd both have really great in-game tutorial/training options and very solid community made guides (https://ki.infil.net and the Guilty Gear Crash Course youtube series, respectively). Both games also have training-wheels modes (KI's Combo Assist and GG's Stylish Mode) which give shortucuts and auto-combos layered over the default controls, so that when you start out you can lean on them as much as you need, but you'll naturally use them less and less as you learn the game.

Neither of these games has the playerbase that SFV has, but that's basically the only good thing I could say about SFV.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

AnonSpore posted:

Reflexes will not make or break your fighting game experience at any level of play except the top

what about games like melty blood where at even mid level play the game can easily become "know the exact moment in this pressure string where you can escape safely or you're going to sit here blocking forever". you need to be able to react to the move that's open to a shield counter or w/e, don't you?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

darealkooky posted:

what about games like melty blood where at even mid level play the game can easily become "know the exact moment in this pressure string where you can escape safely or you're going to sit here blocking forever". you need to be able to react to the move that's open to a shield counter or w/e, don't you?

chances are you aren't reacting to a frametrap, most of this is predictive based on situational awareness

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

ppl talk about reflexes or whatever but training and playing any FG will improve your ability to recognize situations and react to them on the fly, it isnt just a purely physical reflex

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Experience and ~*yomi*~ will carry you through almost all of these situations

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dessel posted:

Are there any fighting games worth getting into as a beginner on PC that will not definitely (but may) make me hate myself?

First of all, this is a SUPER loving good time to get into fighting games on PC. 2017 is like, our year or something.

Can you give a better idea of what you're hoping for? Do you wanna just play anything as long as you can play it with chill peeps that will teach you stuff and not get buttmad about dumb things? Are you wanting to just check out some decent singleplayer content (not what I'd recommend this genre for but there are games that try to address this)? Chances are there's a good recommendation for you but I'm just not sure what you mean yet.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
One of the secrets of baby's first fighting games is to find actual, good friends to play with. I would never have gotten back into fighting games if I didn't have decent people to stomp my rear end in Third Strike.

Also I am ethically obliged to say UNIEL is really good.

Melty is ultimate poverty (and is good). Skullgirls is a lot more complicated but is fine if you're playing with people at your skill level. There's a wide range of fighting games that are very good until you try too hard like Third Strike and Garou that you can find on fightcade.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Serenade posted:

One of the secrets of baby's first fighting games is to find actual, good friends to play with. I would never have gotten back into fighting games if I didn't have decent people to stomp my rear end in Third Strike.

Also I am ethically obliged to say UNIEL is really good.

Melty is ultimate poverty (and is good). Skullgirls is a lot more complicated but is fine if you're playing with people at your skill level. There's a wide range of fighting games that are very good until you try too hard like Third Strike and Garou that you can find on fightcade.

just having friends to play with is the important part. almost every day after school i had a group we'd hang out and play fgs for hours.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

A really fun aspect of FGs is using movement or quick attacks specifically to provoke the opponent's reflexes and cause him to react incorrectly or hesitate, leaving an opening you can exploit. This kind of poo poo works no matter how good the other guy's reflexes are

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

my advice would be to get tekken

gonna have to agree with this post

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What many people attribute to reflexes is often actually anticipation and foresight. The minimum human reaction time is around a quarter second, or about 15 frames, and the only way to get beyond that threshold is making an educated guess and begin responding to something before it happens. If you're trying to learn fighting games as a newcomer it might feel like everyone has some sort of mental reflex advantage over you, but please don't be discouraged; they have just played long enough and seen enough scenarios that they can guess the choices you're likely to make in a panic. Stick with it and you'll start developing this power as well. Don't take losses personally, you're building a database of experiences!

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Countblanc posted:

By "not make you hate yourself" do you mean "win and lose roughly 50:50 right out of the gate"? Because if so SFV is probably the only fighting game on PC with a large enough install base where you may come even remotely close to that (but you still won't). If you instead meant "controls well, has minimum lag, good load times, and so on" then there's quite a few choices.

Controls well for sure. Having complicated controls/combos/w/e for the sake of being complicated sounds horrible. Community not being a stinking pile of poo poo would help too (Is chat even generally a thing?). I don't mind getting my rear end beat as long as I'm learning something. It's fun to even get your rear end beat when the opponent is generally polite about it. I would expect to start finding some decent matches after a full week of gaming every night though.

In Training posted:

If you have a PC download a fightcade romset and just start trying poo poo for free and see what sticks, would be my suggestion. And then in June get tekken

This is a good suggestion, will take it into consideration, especially if it helps to see how each series plays generally speaking.

Trykt posted:

First of all, this is a SUPER loving good time to get into fighting games on PC. 2017 is like, our year or something.

Can you give a better idea of what you're hoping for? Do you wanna just play anything as long as you can play it with chill peeps that will teach you stuff and not get buttmad about dumb things? Are you wanting to just check out some decent singleplayer content (not what I'd recommend this genre for but there are games that try to address this)? Chances are there's a good recommendation for you but I'm just not sure what you mean yet.

Definitely online. I don't mind singleplayer but that's not why I even have the interest for the genre at all. I want to get my rear end beat (to a certain degree) and just keep on getting better at a game. Decent in-game community would be nice too. For Honor's duels are best when you have an opponent who's knowledgeable about the game and you naturally end up having at least a small conversation about the balance/scene of the game.

Tekken 7 might be an idea, I have a For Honor buddy of the same nationality that's probably getting the game and we've been doing things together almost daily for few weeks now. (Him being so much better would be a problem though obviously). I'll have to look at visuals/style of each game too I guess to see what ticks. There seems to be varying degrees of... "anime", not that I mind it at all, to be quite honest. Just surprised it's so prevalent across games and about none seem to be completely devoid of it.

Once I decide on a game and if I get invested into it I guess I'll have to start getting into control methods too. I'm a huge nerd for different control methods and I can see fight sticks and fighting games being a bottomless pit to delve into, but I'll worry about that at a later date :suicide: Currently my choices on PC would be a mechanical keyboard or DualShock 4.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

I started out Tekken not knowing anything and had a blast because it turns out even people way better than you and who can take you 100-0 in a set feel it in their nuts a little when you land Paul Phoenix's Signature Move, The Death Fist (a.k.a. Phoenix Smasher).

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

but really if you're on the fence watch some videos and see what looks cool i guess. hemming and hawing about it here isn't going to make anything any easier for you

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

What's the competitive appeal of Tekken? I used to have fun button mashing in the original tag game but watching the game being played doesn't make it look fun to me anymore. Because of how few special move there are, as an observer the game looks really homogeneous to me with players just trying to use the same few strings to get big damage. Is it all about footsies and catching people's recovery and things like that?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

I started out Tekken not knowing anything and had a blast because it turns out even people way better than you and who can take you 100-0 in a set feel it in their nuts a little when you land Paul Phoenix's Signature Move, The Death Fist (a.k.a. Phoenix Smasher).

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Deathfist my rear end, Paul Phoenix.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dessel posted:

Once I decide on a game and if I get invested into it I guess I'll have to start getting into control methods too. I'm a huge nerd for different control methods and I can see fight sticks and fighting games being a bottomless pit to delve into, but I'll worry about that at a later date :suicide: Currently my choices on PC would be a mechanical keyboard or DualShock 4.

Tekken works perfectly well on a DualShock, and is just as good on a stick if you decide down the line that you want to nerd out over hardware. It will also have great online play and a bunch of goons all trying to learn it, so that's a big plus.

Actually on the latter point, if you want to play any fighting game with people who aren't dicks and will be open minded about trying to help you, definitely find matches with goons through Discord instead of rolling the dice in matchmaking. I've played fighting games my whole life and I still find random online Ranked battles extremely unfun.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Dracula Factory posted:

What's the competitive appeal of Tekken?

Tekken has one of the highest skill ceilings of any fighting game, but not for bullshit arbitrary reasons like having to memorize/execute insanely complicated sequences of things. There's a lot of improvisation, like a LOT, while still offering plenty of exchanges with the traditional 2 choice or 3 choice guessing games that form the core of most good fighting games.

Also it looks real good and has rad music.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Trykt posted:

THE BEST MUSIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM-BKvcQvc

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Play KOF XIV. We need more people, and as long you play Americans the vast majority of people you'll fight will be very bad and won't stomp you.

But seriously, start off with Fightcade. Try a few games that seem interesting, and see what sticks.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Trykt posted:

Tekken has one of the highest skill ceilings of any fighting game, but not for bullshit arbitrary reasons like having to memorize/execute insanely complicated sequences of things. There's a lot of improvisation, like a LOT, while still offering plenty of exchanges with the traditional 2 choice or 3 choice guessing games that form the core of most good fighting games.

on top of that i think it's paced really well and does a good job making stuff look like it hurts to get hit with

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Reiley posted:

What many people attribute to reflexes is often actually anticipation and foresight. The minimum human reaction time is around a quarter second, or about 15 frames, and the only way to get beyond that threshold is making an educated guess and begin responding to something before it happens. If you're trying to learn fighting games as a newcomer it might feel like everyone has some sort of mental reflex advantage over you, but please don't be discouraged; they have just played long enough and seen enough scenarios that they can guess the choices you're likely to make in a panic. Stick with it and you'll start developing this power as well. Don't take losses personally, you're building a database of experiences!

This app tests your raw reaction speed to Millia mixups, with no guessing allowed. It's hard! http://www.teyah.net/milliablocker.html

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dessel posted:

Controls well for sure. Having complicated controls/combos/w/e for the sake of being complicated sounds horrible. Community not being a stinking pile of poo poo would help too (Is chat even generally a thing?). I don't mind getting my rear end beat as long as I'm learning something. It's fun to even get your rear end beat when the opponent is generally polite about it. I would expect to start finding some decent matches after a full week of gaming every night though.

This is a good suggestion, will take it into consideration, especially if it helps to see how each series plays generally speaking.

Definitely online. I don't mind singleplayer but that's not why I even have the interest for the genre at all. I want to get my rear end beat (to a certain degree) and just keep on getting better at a game. Decent in-game community would be nice too. For Honor's duels are best when you have an opponent who's knowledgeable about the game and you naturally end up having at least a small conversation about the balance/scene of the game.

Tekken 7 might be an idea, I have a For Honor buddy of the same nationality that's probably getting the game and we've been doing things together almost daily for few weeks now. (Him being so much better would be a problem though obviously). I'll have to look at visuals/style of each game too I guess to see what ticks. There seems to be varying degrees of... "anime", not that I mind it at all, to be quite honest. Just surprised it's so prevalent across games and about none seem to be completely devoid of it.

You're honestly way overthinking things. Just buy a game that looks fun to you and play it. Anything from the "what's hot now" list in OP will have players for you to fight online. Dualshock will work fine for any of them.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

is recommending fightcade to new people looking for a fun game advice that people will take

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figure people will because its free, relatively painless to set up and gives you access to more games than you could ever dream of.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Trykt posted:

Improvisation sounds fun, and I do like the way the game looks and while I think most of the character designs are boring, they do have a cat-head man and that's pretty great. Maybe I'll give it a go when it comes out on PC, I played tons of Soul Calibur 2 and 3 when I was young so I have more of a foundation with 3d fighters than I did with 2d.

Zand posted:

is recommending fightcade to new people looking for a fun game advice that people will take

Is there something like a goon FG discord? I've been thinking of trying fightcade games like super turbo but finding people to play with has been my issue.

Dracula Factory fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 12, 2017

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Can we rename the thread title to "Buy Tekken"

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Luna Was Here posted:

Can we rename the thread title to "Buy Tekken"

"preferably on PC but really any way you can get it, Buy Tekken"

Dracula Factory posted:

Is there something like a goon FG discord? I've been thinking of trying fightcade games like super turbo but finding people to play with has been my issue.

It's in the OP, but also: https://discord.gg/0wBmC7rtxZPBgPkW

You can definitely get people to play ST and other fightcade games with you there. Once you're there I can also hit you with a secret Illuminati non-goon Fightcade discord chan

Trykt fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 12, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also to the new guy SFV is free this weekend for a beta test in a separate client you can just search for it on Steam. It is multiplayer only but everyone is just trying out new characters and poo poo from what I can tell.

Ed is surprisingly fun btw

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Echoing the "Play anything that looks fun to you" sentiment.

As someone relatively new to the genre, the game that looked fun to me was King of Fighters XIII, which I started playing long after new players left the game so everybody was a killer, and started despite having nobody I know play the game, and it having a bad reputation for being incredibly hard to get into, and needing to learn three characters instead of one, and....

The point is, if it looks fun, anything that sounds bad will fade away because you'll have fun figuring all of this stuff out. Don't be afraid to drop things that don't mesh with you, right now is a great time to get into fighting games. There are a multitude of amazing free games available on Fightcade with a lot of people playing, Tekken 7 looks amazing (and Tekken has always been tons of fun to mess around with if you don't really know what you're doing too), KoFXIV just got announced for steam (GET THIS AND PLAY IT, it's so much fun and KoF is faster paced and movement feels soooo gooooood), SFV is pretty simplistic and has a lot of leeway for newer players, especially if you're willing to put in some time, get beat up a lot and learn from goons.

As for reaction times, give this a read. It should help put things into perspective.

You'll have a lot of fun if you like to analyze and try to improve things on your own, and even more fun if you don't mind tracking down like-minded players who can give you pointers, and this community has always been great for that as far as I've experienced.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hobojim posted:

As for reaction times, give this a read. It should help put things into perspective.

such a good link that will be read by almost nobody that should read it

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Filipino man wising up

https://twitter.com/Filipinoman/status/863119152201859072

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Play anything you want. Fun is the biggest motivation, especially for a newcomer.

To give more specific answers to narrow it down, SFV is on free Beta right now on Stream, Skullgirls is always cheap and is growing, Melty Blood is Melty Blood, Guilty Gear is hot right now with a cheap new entry in a few weeks, Killer Instinct is free to play with one permenant character and one rotating one.

Hobojim posted:

Great read.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 12, 2017

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Whatever you may have heard about past installments, Smash 4 plays different from its predecessors and you may be surprised by how much you enjoy it. It's built around two stocks rather than three or four so each stock sees a lot more meaningful play and the neutral feels closer to a traditional fighter than any other Smash game. The netplay is not good but it is a very popular offline game and there are scenes for it everywhere. There's a character for literally almost every playstyle and a whole new vocabulary of finger puzzles to solve. Play Smash 4: It's Not Melee™.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash 4 is pretty fun even if most FG players don't want to admit it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zand posted:

It's how I started.

Also if you're playing on PC and exclusively online, your main game should be something with GGPO or other non-SFV rollback netcode. So it's basically Fightcade, Melty Blood, Skullgirls, or wait for developers to pull their heads out of their asses.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hobojim posted:

I read it, it's great. Until I got Injustice 1 a week ago I hadn't played a non-Smash fighter since MK4 and everything seemed a little overwhelming, good read to get your head on straight.