Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just hope the show gets finished however many season it shall take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I haven't read a single negative review of it so far, so here's hoping

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I felt Anansi's introduction was far more predatory than his personality in the book. It makes sense for Odin to thrive on bloodshed since you sacrifice lives to him in war and on the gallows. But Anansi thrives on songs and dancing and storytelling.

It would have made more sense if Anansi the Spider whispered into the slave's ear telling him what to do, and the slave then engineered a bloody uprising using everybody else as his pawns while he manages to escape in a rowboat. Anansi is like Bugs Bunny, a trickster and survivor. I don't think he would have screwed over his own worshiper. He's supposed to encourage cunning.

I felt one slave should have made it to shore, bringing his loyalty to Anansi with him.

If all the Old Gods demand blood sacrifice, and Technical Boy and Media just want our time and attention, then this narrative is skewed in favor of the New Gods. They are more benign compared to this bloodthirsty version of the Old Gods. In the books, a lot of the old ones were more likable and less parasitic, which made the New Gods seem more sinister.

What if this show is Media's propaganda retelling of the book designed to smear the Old Gods? That would be very meta.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Steve Yun posted:

Here is my spoilery review, mouse over at your own risk:

dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:
dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong

Thinking about a kitten's comment about Bast and cat videos, plus Bilquis using online dating, it does look like they're going for a theme of old gods using new technology, maybe setting up a conflict of interest in the war. In theory Anansi could be another example given cell cameras and social media being utilized civil rights activists. They're not pulling any punches when it comes to racism in America so it wouldn't surprise me if they address this in-story.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I mean, spiders do spin webs. Maybe even worldwide ones :tinfoil:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Escape Addict posted:

I felt Anansi's introduction was far more predatory than his personality in the book. It makes sense for Odin to thrive on bloodshed since you sacrifice lives to him in war and on the gallows. But Anansi thrives on songs and dancing and storytelling.

It would have made more sense if Anansi the Spider whispered into the slave's ear telling him what to do, and the slave then engineered a bloody uprising using everybody else as his pawns while he manages to escape in a rowboat. Anansi is like Bugs Bunny, a trickster and survivor. I don't think he would have screwed over his own worshiper. He's supposed to encourage cunning.

I felt one slave should have made it to shore, bringing his loyalty to Anansi with him.

If all the Old Gods demand blood sacrifice, and Technical Boy and Media just want our time and attention, then this narrative is skewed in favor of the New Gods. They are more benign compared to this bloodthirsty version of the Old Gods. In the books, a lot of the old ones were more likable and less parasitic, which made the New Gods seem more sinister.

What if this show is Media's propaganda retelling of the book designed to smear the Old Gods? That would be very meta.

Well, he was insulted by the enslavement of his people, so he had to retaliate (note also how Wednesday also later says how just because he's not fuming doesn't mean he's not pissed at Technical Boy for lynching Shadow, and that there will be repercussions) Also, the wreckage propelled him to the mainland, which was convenient.

Also it's funny that you compare him to Bugs Bunny, as one of the primary supposed origins of Bre're Rabbit is a transformation from the Anansi stories the slaves brought with them from Africa. One of the driving forces as to why the bunny was popular in their traditions, is that his wily cunning symbolized the attempts to revolt against the white slavers. Like all trickster deities, not all of these attempts were successful (in fact most weren't), but the motivation, rebellious nature, and overriding cleverness were still a major symbolism for the movements. Considering the amount of work Fuller puts into research and symbolism, I'm sure this connection is not lost on him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Escape Addict posted:

If there's one thing Anansi hates more than anything though it's to be confined, trapped and chained. A good chunk of the stories where he's the butt of the joke involve him getting trapped into something and even a few of the ones he's the hero of too. The life of a slave is anathema to Anansi, in his mind he's gifting the believer with a true reward. Death is nothing to a trickster, they do it all the time and are quite good at it.

I mean, sure he could free him and get him to America, but what then? The slave doesn't know anyone or speak the slightest bit of the language. It's only a matter of time before he's back in chains and his children will suffer for 400 years no matter what he did. Better to die on your own terms than live on someone else's.

Edit: Also, bear in mind that a lot of trickster stories that get told have been heavily sanitized. Especially the African ones that were transcribed by the English. There are a ton of stories out there that would've made the Brothers Grimme blanch.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 12, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If the show goes meta and has Media speak to us, the audience, I think that would be the best thing ever.

e: and there has GOT to be a Media scene where Shadow walks by a TV playing an old X-Files episode, right? Right?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If there's one thing Anansi hates more than anything though it's to be confined, trapped and chained. A good chunk of the stories where he's the butt of the joke involve him getting trapped into something and even a few of the ones he's the hero of too. The life of a slave is anathema to Anansi, in his mind he's gifting the believer with a true reward. Death is nothing to a trickster, they do it all the time and are quite good at it.

This is a good point. Thanks for explaining it. I was a little put off by how malicious Anansi seemed, but in this interpretation, he's still the good guy since death is freedom. Also the book Anansi Boys goes to show how little he cares about dying himself.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escape Addict posted:

the magical black man wasn't pure good, and it destroyed this poor goon's mind.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Escape Addict posted:

In addition to what Macdeo said, think of it this way; the old gods will take your body as sacrifice. The new gods (or at least Media so far) want to ruin your soul.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Normal Adult Human posted:

the magical black man wasn't pure good, and it destroyed this poor goon's mind.

omfg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Escape Addict posted:

Have you never read a single story that featured a technological Dystopia??

Seeming more benign just makes it more insidious. In the long run its just as bloodthirsty.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Edit: Also, bear in mind that a lot of trickster stories that get told have been heavily sanitized. Especially the African ones that were transcribed by the English. There are a ton of stories out there that would've made the Brothers Grimme blanch.

Yeah plus, Anansi isn't exactly super nice guy happy times. Think of Spider in Anansi Boys, and that's just one part of Anansi. He can be a right rear end in a top hat.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 12, 2017

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think there's probably a criticism you can have of the Anansi scene without it necessarily coming from a place of "I don't like this angry black man." I'll agree with many of the points above that this was both a hell of a scene and a great depiction of Anansi the trickster god in this context. It was not, however, a depiction that at all resembles the way Mr Nancy is depicted in the novel American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I think that is a fair criticism of the TV show American Gods from a fan of the novel who wanted to see a silly old magical black man who only shows up to tell fun stories and save the main character from danger.

The TV show's depiction seems to be pretty obviously the better, more powerful choice though. It makes the character a lot more interesting, more faithful to the spirit of the Anansi myths, and has a lot of resonance in this time and place a decade and a half from the writing of the novel.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I think the fact that everyone here has sacrificed at least ten bucks and countless hours to this forum is proof that goons are firmly in Technical Boy's camp. Participating in a discussion of this show is a tribute to Media and doing it on the Internet is feeding Technical Boy.

The New Gods don't need traditional prayers or rituals. Just sitting down to watch a cool TV show is worshiping Media. Being a goon means sacrificing minutes of your life on Technical Boy's altar.

No matter how much we condemn the New Gods as characters in a TV show, our actions show that really, we're totally fine with the sacrifice. Are our souls ruined by consuming media and using technology? It seems like the New Gods' demands of humans are pretty reasonable compared to the old school bloody sacrifice.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
One suspects that part of that Old God / New God split is just how many people there are kicking around now. In terms of raw devotion, an hour of television doesn't possibly seem on par with having your own eye put out with a knife. But consider the tens of millions of people offering that up every moment of every day.

I'd be curious about two things. First, if we'll see any new New Gods. Gaiman was pretty broad in the original book with the main trio of Technical Boy / Media / Mr. World (and the Spookshow). But I'd be curious to see if the show adds anyone to that roster, and what they may represent. Aside: If they already are and I missed it in a teaser somewhere, I stand corrected.

Second, if any of the Old Gods will be adamantly Anti-Wednesday. Apparently Vulcan is going to feature in this season. He had the trailer line "The power of Fire is Firepower", American gun fetishization has to be worth some worship, right?

EDIT: Regarding Goon God Technical Boy. Remember that every time you hit Post here you're reminded "We all pray to god it doesn't suck." ...Just saying.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I never did manage to finish the novel as I found the concept and premise to be way more interesting than the actual contents.

Im curious, as an atheist and sports fan, if there is a sports-related new god considering the prevalence of Americans who watch football on sundays instead of attending church.

Also, if there is a food related god. It makes me think of a quote from The Wire where the russian hitman tell the drug dealer, "In this country, supermarkets are cathedrals."

Anyway, the first two episodes were pretty interesting and im hoping they are better than the novel was for me.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Escape Addict posted:

The Technical Boy thrives on Liveleak and Worldstar.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

I never did manage to finish the novel as I found the concept and premise to be way more interesting than the actual contents.

Im curious, as an atheist and sports fan, if there is a sports-related new god considering the prevalence of Americans who watch football on sundays instead of attending church.

Also, if there is a food related god. It makes me think of a quote from The Wire where the russian hitman tell the drug dealer, "In this country, supermarkets are cathedrals."

Anyway, the first two episodes were pretty interesting and im hoping they are better than the novel was for me.

Of course there's a food god. He wears a yellow suit and has cherry red hair, and we indoctrinate our children young to love him.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escape Addict posted:

Are our souls ruined by consuming media and using technology?

Well, yes, I think the loss of identity through homogenization is a big theme of the book. Whether you buy into that tautology is another thing but that's certainly a central aspect of the book and something that in Gaiman's work is a matter of course as much as gravity pulling things down - that something essential is lost in the move from the old to the new.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 12, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Escape Addict posted:

Are our souls ruined by consuming media and using technology?

The poison is in the dosage now isn't it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Escape Addict posted:

I think the fact that everyone here has sacrificed at least ten bucks and countless hours to this forum is proof that goons are firmly in Technical Boy's camp. Participating in a discussion of this show is a tribute to Media and doing it on the Internet is feeding Technical Boy.

The New Gods don't need traditional prayers or rituals. Just sitting down to watch a cool TV show is worshiping Media. Being a goon means sacrificing minutes of your life on Technical Boy's altar.

No matter how much we condemn the New Gods as characters in a TV show, our actions show that really, we're totally fine with the sacrifice. Are our souls ruined by consuming media and using technology? It seems like the New Gods' demands of humans are pretty reasonable compared to the old school bloody sacrifice.

Like Wednesday says, better to die than be forgotten.

Vikings may have died in bloody sacrifice to Odin, but they presumably live forever in Valhalla? We don't know. Meanwhile those who worship technical boy are just mindless, faceless goons, totally anonymous, and may as well not even exist. (Like us :cheeky:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

One suspects that part of that Old God / New God split is just how many people there are kicking around now. In terms of raw devotion, an hour of television doesn't possibly seem on par with having your own eye put out with a knife. But consider the tens of millions of people offering that up every moment of every day.

I'd be curious about two things. First, if we'll see any new New Gods. Gaiman was pretty broad in the original book with the main trio of Technical Boy / Media / Mr. World (and the Spookshow). But I'd be curious to see if the show adds anyone to that roster, and what they may represent. Aside: If they already are and I missed it in a teaser somewhere, I stand corrected.

Second, if any of the Old Gods will be adamantly Anti-Wednesday. Apparently Vulcan is going to feature in this season. He had the trailer line "The power of Fire is Firepower", American gun fetishization has to be worth some worship, right?

EDIT: Regarding Goon God Technical Boy. Remember that every time you hit Post here you're reminded "We all pray to god it doesn't suck." ...Just saying.

Yeah the idea is Vulcan has more power than the other old gods because he's managed to transform himself into something like a new god, he's gone from the god of forge to the god of guns, and american loving worship guns.

The point you put out about a few hardcore believers vs a toooooon of people who just do small acts of worship is pretty interesting and valid.

As for new gods, we already talked about casting showing that there's going to be several flavors of Jesus-i. (Jesuses?) Those are new old gods though, not new new gods. We'll see if there's any new new gods, but considering they're expanding the book across like 5 seasons and linking in side-stories, I think its extremely possible.

TommyGun85 posted:

That sounds very possible.

poo poo, look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Sj4uHp0s4

This may as well take place in the same universe as American Gods.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't imagine being invested in this show for five seasons if that's how long it'll take to cover the one book. That's going to be some loving horrible pacing no matter how much they pad it out. Like, can anyone imagine a world in which you aren't bored shitless by hour 30 of this pacing?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Personally, I would be pretty happy just staring at the visuals and watching the cast do their thing for as many seasons as they want to drag it out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Keep in mind that A) these seasons are 8 episodes long, and 2) Fuller's original vision for seasons 3 and 4 of Hannibal had to get condensed into one season because he couldn't come up with enough material, so things might change with American Gods as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Personally, I would be pretty happy just staring at the visuals and watching the cast do their thing for as many seasons as they want to drag it out

Yeah, that's the whole design of the show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So this spoiler thread is the only place to talk about American Gods? That sort of sucks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gaunab posted:

So this spoiler thread is the only place to talk about American Gods? That sort of sucks.

Hm? There's a show-only thread too. This one was created because, well read the title of this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818200

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaunab posted:

There's two threads for that whole reason. This is actually the second one made, the other one came first.

Besides, how do you think SA works? If you want another thread to talk about american gods just go make one?? But there's no need.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Posting from the awful app makes it easier to glaze over the titles of tv show threads. It's my fault. Please forgive my transgressions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gaunab posted:

Posting from the awful app makes it easier to glaze over the titles of tv show threads. It's my fault. Please forgive my transgressions.
To attain forgiveness, you'll have to make a sacrifice to Crapfountain, the god of forums posting

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Mr. Wednesday's talk about our collective faith in aviation makes me think there ought to be a New God of Airplanes. Like the Railroad God of the 1800's.

He tells Shadow never to take the highways, because that's the territory of a Transportation or Freeway God, maybe it's just the God of Cars. Automobile fatalities are one hell of a vehicle for human sacrifice, so Car God is probably really strong. Think of how car enthusiasts fetishize the latest models, or fawn over classic cars. Lots of blood and money for the Car God.

I bet there is a Spectator Sport God, like some NBA/NFL/NHL/NASCAR/WWE hybrid superfan. Maybe he's Media's brother.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Shoot, Media IS the god of sports entertainment. Media is exactly why sports are such a big deal today, because she tells us it is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I definitely feel like there's some kinda overlap going on, but the people begging for blood at hockey games are probably summoning something else altogether.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
I'm not sure the God of Sports should even be a New God- that kind of worship's been around for centuries. The Nika riots killed tens of thousands in the 6th century, and that started over some drat chariot races.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Escape Addict posted:

Mr. Wednesday's talk about our collective faith in aviation makes me think there ought to be a New God of Airplanes.

That speech hit a real personal note for me. There is a very strong accent in the region I grew up, Northeast PA, think almost like a Chicago accent but with a proclivity to ignore diphthongs i.e. "Huh many you'se want, couple two, tree?"

Thanks to a middle school science teacher with the accent a chunk of my class thought airplane could fly if they had enough trust.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Escape Addict posted:

Mr. Wednesday's talk about our collective faith in aviation makes me think there ought to be a New God of Airplanes. Like the Railroad God of the 1800's.

He tells Shadow never to take the highways, because that's the territory of a Transportation or Freeway God, maybe it's just the God of Cars. Automobile fatalities are one hell of a vehicle for human sacrifice, so Car God is probably really strong. Think of how car enthusiasts fetishize the latest models, or fawn over classic cars. Lots of blood and money for the Car God.

I bet there is a Spectator Sport God, like some NBA/NFL/NHL/NASCAR/WWE hybrid superfan. Maybe he's Media's brother.

There are car gods mentioned in the book, and it's specifically mentioned that the sacrifice they accumulate is "tens of thousands each year, a human sacrifice unheard of since the Aztecs" or something along those lines.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TommyGun85 posted:

sports probably fall under the realm of johnny appleseed aka totally worthless and valueless worship that feeds nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

It's pretty good for cities when their teams are doing well, though, so maybe it's not completely worthless.

• Locked thread