Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They usually release a video for each of their album's singles over time, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regalingualius posted:

They usually release a video for each of their album's singles over time, right?

Idk they technically already released singles of the first five songs, and gave four of them crappy looping animations and Saturnz Barz a proper video.

Who knows how this sort of thing works in a post streaming world though. What even is a single.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Not necessarily. This was the case for the first 2 albums, but plastic beach hit a snag and I think they ran out of money or something. Empire Ants was supposed to be a music video but got canned and then they made a new single (Doncamatic) and gave that a video.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rhinestone Eyes was going to be the video. Jamie Hewlett released the animatic for it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...So apparently the band used Pewdiepie to promote the album?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

I just found out he's been a fan for 5+ years.

So yeah, there's plenty of people out there failing to take in the lyrics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regalingualius posted:

You'd think a google search would have brought up that whole controversy and they'd have stayed away. Apparently he didn't even like the album!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
After finally getting my download links and listening to the deluxe edition of the album...it's average. Like really average. I get that it's been seven years since their last good album but even Plastic Beach had more of a distinctive sound than this. Each album or phase has its own special style that shapes it in their own era, and Humanz is no different.

However, there are some songs which actually have a good electro beat to them and some that just sound like a jumbled mess and make me wonder did Damon really think they sounded good enough to be on the album, or where the production crew being rushed to get them done by the release date. Hell, even the intermissions weren't all that interesting, I was hoping they'd give them the same amount of quality as Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head, but they last under a minute and don't add anything to the album, Ben Mendelsohn couldn't really save them.

That being said though, there are still a few good songs that stand out, the ones that do are 'Momentz', 'Charger'*, 'Andromeda', 'Busted and Blue', 'We Got The Power'**, and 'Out of Body', 'the Apprentice' was alright too.

As for Damon censoring any mentions of Trump, the only songs where they definitely mention him are 'Ascension' (directly) and 'Hallelujah Money' (through the poetry lyrics). I'm personally glad there's no blatant political commentary in the album, as it kind of takes you out of the songs and they're not really done in a way that's subtle and not made so obvious. A good example of this is Booty Brown's line in 'Dirty Harry' "the war is over, so said the speaker with a flight suit on" which references Bush and his 'mission accomplished' speech, but that's only briefly mentioned, it's clearly not the point of the song and and the main message is it's anti-war and anti-military, just like with 'Kids With Guns' and how the message in that song is the popularity of firearms and how they attract people who don't understand how dangerous they are.

As a Gorillaz fan for 7 years now, this album really could've been better, and I can only appreciate it with the deluxe tracks, otherwise the standard album isn't all that great.

From the looks of things, there seems to be a few good songs mixed in with a bunch of tracks that should've been B-sides at best. I can't say this is up there with Demon Days or Plastic Beach, but apparently Damon still has plenty more songs to produce so hopefully they'll make up for this.

5/10

*Okay maybe this song may not stand out for some people, but there's a part of me that personally likes it and finds it funny for some reason.

**I know the album version sucks because it's not longer and more pumping and kicking like the live version, and I know Anthony Fantano hates this, but believe me when you start hearing this in the Demon Dayz festival, you WILL dig this!

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 5, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Why in the world is the version of We Got the Power so loving short on the album? Like it even is labeled the "Version 2:18" on the album suggesting it's not the intended version. Why?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yeah that post is pretty weird, although I do agree that Jenny Beth was a strange inclusion in 'We Got The Power', the electro beat and loud pumping stuff sounds nice and all but I didn't think she really fit in with the composition, also apparently Noel Gallagher is featured in the chorus, but I found it hard trying to separate the voices from him and Damon, they're just mashed together.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 5, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Junior Jr. posted:

As for Damon censoring any mentions of Trump, the only songs where they definitely mention him are 'Ascension' (directly) and 'Hallelujah Money' (through the poetry lyrics).

Don't forget the opening lines to Let Me Out. I dunno, I think it could have been the first great political album of this era.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's still an extremely political album though. It just doesn't have constant direct references to current politics (though it does have a fair few).

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

also apparently Noel Gallagher is featured in the chorus, but I found it hard trying to separate the voices from him and Damon, they're just mashed together.

Almost as if being blended together and unified as one despite differences is more important than being distinctly separate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Avril Lavigne posted:

Almost as if being blended together and unified as one despite differences is more important than being distinctly separate.

It basically just sounds like Albarn though tbf.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

It basically just sounds like Albarn though tbf.

Albarn is the sound of world peace.

Hug Every Cat
Oct 13, 2011

I just want to hug all of them but I can't because that's crazy. I can't hug every cat. I just want to.
I've been excited for Humanz and I was not disappointed at all. I think for me personally, it does stand with Demon Days(my other favourite) as an album I can listen to all the way through and enjoy. I think my favourites are Saturnz Barz, Charger, Momentz, Sex Murder Party, and Out of Body. It's actually hard for me to pick a non-favourite. I'm not as into Andromeda and We Got The Power as most of you but a few more listens and they are growing on me.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Avril Lavigne posted:

I'd like it if they did like a stereo trick and have Damon singing on one speaker and Noel singing on the other, but I'd love it if they done a duet like the last time they did.

Hug Every Cat posted:

I've been excited for Humanz and I was not disappointed at all. I think for me personally, it does stand with Demon Days(my other favourite) as an album I can listen to all the way through and enjoy. I think my favourites are Saturnz Barz, Charger, Momentz, Sex Murder Party, and Out of Body. It's actually hard for me to pick a non-favourite. I'm not as into Andromeda and We Got The Power as most of you but a few more listens and they are growing on me.

I'd like to judge songs on how well they hold up after some time. Like when I listened to DoYaThing, I thought it was just weird at first and didn't really have that Gorillaz feel to it, then after a few listens and finding it again months later, it grew on me and I got into how jumpy and funky it was. Also with Plastic Beach, I just listened to a few songs every now and again and they sounded great and held up years later.

I know I judged Humanz after listening to it a couple of times just now, but the real question I should be asking is does it still hold up after say a year from now? I don't think it will really...but who knows?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 6, 2017

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Humanz is a strange one for me, I feel like I had to force myself to like it because I'm such a big Gorillaz fan, but after listen number 5 it clicked. There's some great features, some average ones and an unfortunately weak appearance from De La. There's a surprising lack of Damon vocals, but lyrically and sonically, there's something so compelling about it. Its almost a giant "gently caress it" from Damon. Like he's just making music for artists he likes, for them to shine on and centralizing a doomsday theme like he's done so well previously.

Also I love Kilo Kish and Danny Brown.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

I'd like to judge songs on how well they hold up after some time. Like when I listened to DoYaThing, I thought it was just weird at first and didn't really have that Gorillaz feel to it, then after a few listens and finding it again months later, it grew on me and I got into how jumpy and funky it was. Also with Plastic Beach, I just listened to a few songs every now and again and they sounded great and held up years later.

DoYaThing is fine, so long you don't get the 10 minute long version. Because it's the poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress there are still tickets left for the O2 shows. That's a bit depressing. I feel dumb for jumping on the first overpriced seating tickets I could get in the presale.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Posting on my phone so can't give all the details, but new song database listings show we are getting b-sides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gorillaz/comments/69qmvl/here_is_the_list_of_new_gorillaz_songs_registered/

They are probably going to be on that 14 record vinyl set as all the b-sides to each song. Some are alt versions but some are entirely new songs by the look of it!

Anyway check on Reddit at the moment for more info.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Interested to hear an alternative Busted and Blue. I hope we get an absolute poo poo load of remixes, enough to get a disc 2 of H Sides.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So I just went and got a ticket for the O2 gig, and now I've got that and the Demon Dayz festival to look forward to.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Busted and Blue sounds like a way more anemic To Binge, I can't get into it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't know what anemic means but if you're saying that To Binge is good and also much better than Busted and Blue then I agree.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think I've settled on The Apprentice as solidly being in my top five. It's really weird that it's a bonus track, especially because it just might be the most radio-friendly song here.

I actually heard it in a bar last Friday.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Crain posted:

Oh yeah, I know. It's still great. But that whole "cataclysmic event" thing is where I get the idea of there being two competing narratives. One side of the album has humanity suffering through it and emerging victorious (We Got The Power) or humanity getting hosed and just descending into chaos and destroying itself (Ticker Tape).

Those two feel like ending songs both. So while the bonus tracks don't necessarily follow directly in their position on the second disk, I think they do fit in the overall narrative of the album.

There's no reason why they have to be mutually exclusive. We Got the Power can be read as precataclysmic hope that never comes to fruition. I mean just because we have the power doesn't mean we'll actually use it correctly.

Hug Every Cat
Oct 13, 2011

I just want to hug all of them but I can't because that's crazy. I can't hug every cat. I just want to.

IUG posted:

DoYaThing is fine, so long you don't get the 10 minute long version. Because it's the poo poo.

It's the only version I listen to. :cool:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

IUG posted:

the 13 minute version of do ya thing is loving brilliant

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know, it looks lovely. :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are there any theories/confirmed canon as to what each interlude/track means in context? At times I feel like the album's telling a clear narrative with the elevator structure but I'm struggling to work out how most of it fits.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Steve2911 posted:

Are there any theories/confirmed canon as to what each interlude/track means in context? At times I feel like the album's telling a clear narrative with the elevator structure but I'm struggling to work out how most of it fits.

Try reddit

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I hope there's a way to buy the super deluxe tracks separately some time after they release the set. I'd love to hear even more of these songs but $350 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for one album.

EDIT: The more I read about this box set the more it feels like a parody of the concept of deluxe box sets

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 14, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzJGWAfmBco

Unexpected! Was this one of the ultra deluxe wealth magnet songs?

Either way I dig it.

e: I kind of hope the video is an indication that Damon realises how loving poo poo the attempts to live mocap the band have been.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 8, 2017

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
This is not a super deluxe song. This song was made on Monday.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really hope there's a compilation of all this extra stuff

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's honestly better than some of the album. Needs a proper release.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Steve2911 posted:

It's honestly better than some of the album. Needs a proper release.
The Fall, part 2?

Also weather for Demon Dayz is looking good. Looking forward to it!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

We still need PB-Sides, then we can get H-Sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Really not sure how I feel about the album yet. Then again I hated Plastic Beach on my first listen and now its one of my favourite albums ever.

Either way I'm pretty jealous of my co-workers who are seeing Gorillaz live. They had to get tickets in Kansas City because it's the closest place that wasn't sold out (we live in Canada).