Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The worst thing about this show since it's been cutting things and deviating plotwise is that they keep setting poo poo up in the prior season that just gets dropped entirely. They were clearly planning on keeping sansa's extended plot in the eyrie until the next season where she's suddenly auctioned off to ramsay. The set up Dorne (badly) and then heel-turn and axe everyone immediately, wasting Siddig in a completely unearned and unsatisfying death. That kind of poo poo just screams lack of foresight, and i know they're busy but they should've worked on a story structure to keep through AFFC/ADWD when this was getting off the ground floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I remember there are some videos that Dorne wasn't planned a lot, so it was rushed.
Edit: Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdE8VEQReP0

But for the critique they receive a dance and feast have so many story lines and so convoluted, that I imagine the nightmare to make a season of them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

benzine posted:

I remember there are some videos that Dorne wasn't planned a lot, so it was rushed.

But for the critique they receive a dance and feast have so many story lines and so convoluted, that I imagine the nightmare to make a season of them.

lol this guy needs 5 hours to explain why dorne is bad

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

benzine posted:

Feast and Dance both have very linear story lines the only issue some people have with them is that some of those story lines are very ancillary to the main plot which does not move a lot. I'd even argue that those books are a hell of a lot easier to turn into a TV series than ASOS because most of the action is indoors and dialogue, not huge battle scenes. The Winterfell plot is just masterfully written and you could probably make a season just about that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Feast and Dance both have very linear story lines the only issue some people have with them is that some of those story lines are very ancillary to the main plot which does not move a lot. I'd even argue that those books are a hell of a lot easier to turn into a TV series than ASOS because most of the action is indoors and dialogue, not huge battle scenes. The Winterfell plot is just masterfully written and you could probably make a season just about that.

Are you talking about the winterfell plot with fake Arya?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

lol this guy needs 5 hours to explain why dorne is bad

That is equal just to half a GOT season!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

benzine posted:

That is equal just to half a GOT season!

Or 5/7th of this season!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

hanales posted:

Are you talking about the winterfell plot with fake Arya?

fake Arya, Ramsay, Theon, Abel and his spearwives, fat lord Manderly, the Freys and a shitload of northern nobles.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well now we know that all turns into a wet fart since the show is pretty far past it. I'm assuming Sansa shows up leading the Vale army with LF in the books and that's how we get to the start of this season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dear god it's even worse than I thought

quote:

And yes, before someone asks, I AM STILL WORKING ON WINDS OF WINTER and will continue working on it until it's done. I will confess, I do wish I could clone myself, or find a way to squeeze more hours into the day, or a way to go without sleep. But this is what it is, so I keep on juggling. WINDS OF WINTER, five successor shows, FIRE AND BLOOD (that's the GRRMarillion, remember?), four new Wild Cards books, some things I can't tell you about yet... it's a good thing I love my work

He's working on all 4 spinoffs plus the new one he just announced and 4 wild cards books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

He's working on all 4 spinoffs plus the new one he just announced and 4 wild cards books.

LMAO gently caress him

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Barreft posted:

LMAO gently caress him

I feel the winds of a whiner itt

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And there's more. We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five. We have added a fifth writer to the original four. No, I will not reveal the name here. HBO announced the names of the first four, and will no doubt announce the fifth as well, once his deal has closed. He's a really terrific addition, however, a great guy and a fine writer, and aside from me and maybe Elio and Linda, I don't know anyone who knows and loves Westeros as well as he does. This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the pilot.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Oh and he said none of the projects are Robert's Rebellion (Because it will be covered in the books that are never going to come out) or Dunk and Egg (because he doesn't want to get passed by the show again on a side project).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

jesus loving christ, someone get him some adderall or something.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Haha remember when people thought it was done cuz he started doing things he said he wouldn't until it was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's still a guy in the bad thread that just said he expects the book to be completed this June. It's sweet in a way.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's still a guy in the bad thread that just said he expects the book to be completed this June. It's sweet in a way.

I didn't know the bad thread still exists. Do you have a link?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hanales posted:

It is but a pale moon reflecting the brilliance that was the burning sun of our hatred of gurm in the late 2000's, but here it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

hanales posted:

You're in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

He clearly loves his work, in the sense that jerking off 20 times a day means someone "loves sex".

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there like a megathread for old HBO shows? I finished Rome from the last thread and started Deadwood and wanna talk about my bad observations

And whats the date that the season starts. Extra long wait for two extra short seasons?? boy howdy

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 18, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

And whats the date that the season starts. Extra long wait for two extra short seasons?? boy howdy

July 16th.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is there like a megathread for old HBO shows? I finished Rome from the last thread and started Deadwood and wanna talk about my bad observations

I like Deadwood and, by the power vested to me with this Wild Card's gang tag, I declare this GRRM thread shall be open to all cowboy themed TV show conversations.

To start it off, how awesome was season two of Deadwood and Justified?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I've probably mentioned this before, but it always irked/baffled me that the show never let Stannis or Robb have crowns, yet Renly did and, bizarrely, Euron too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someday I'd love to see a very accurate adaptation with all the crazy armor and crowns and such.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The anime will also have all the diarrhea.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Someday I'd love to see a very accurate adaptation with all the crazy armor and crowns and such.

They just made a Warcraft movie.

Lycus posted:

The anime will also have all the diarrhea.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like Deadwood and, by the power vested to me with this Wild Card's gang tag, I declare this GRRM thread shall be open to all cowboy themed TV show conversations.

To start it off, how awesome was season two of Deadwood and Justified?

I'm 2 episodes in and other than Ian McShane, David Carridines chinese knockoff brother, and the hardware boys I am having a horrible case of goon induced face blindness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm 2 episodes in and other than Ian McShane, David Carridines chinese knockoff brother, and the hardware boys I am having a horrible case of goon induced face blindness.

I was like that too for the first couple episodes. The good thing is that everyone basically dresses in exactly the same outfit/hat for the entirety of the show., so that should help. I'm not kidding.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only
Tits and dragons

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Nah, the armor in the books was all that goofy late period stuff where literally every knight wore a dumb paper mache animal on their head that everyone tries to forget happened.
BUT IT DID

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It is but a pale moon reflecting the brilliance that was the burning sun of our hatred of gurm in the late 2000's, but here it is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738

The last stage of a dying thread, posting of Achewood comics.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The thread is basically dead anyways. Once the show starts it will kick back up again, but between seasons there's nothing left to discuss because nothing has happened in the books worth talking about since 2001.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The spoilers make season 7 look awful.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Season 6 makes season 7 look awful.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

Reddit, my girlfriend is exploiting my cancer for personal gain and I'm so angry but have no idea what to do.

A little while ago I was diagnosed with Stage 1 cancer which is terrifying, but I was given a rosy outcome by the doctor.

Most of it was removed via surgery, but I am doing a round of chemo just to be safe and reduce the chance of it coming back. Even though the outcome was as good as it could possibly be, this whole thing has completely shaken me. It really flipped me on my head to realize that I could die at any moment, and it seems to have created a shift in my entire thinking. As a result, I'm in a really bad place right now, so I don't know if my rage that this post is regarding is consistent with my normal behavior.

My girlfriend has been super supportive through this whole thing, which is why it's so shocking that she would even CONSIDER doing something like this. For some background, my girlfriend is kind of an enormous Game of Thrones fans.

She has read all of the Game of Thrones books multiple times and went to events and stuff, and she is constantly on forums on reddit and other sites talking about it. This doesn't bother me at all — I have my own obsessions. I have, in the past, asked her if she wanted me to watch the series or read the books and she said I didn't have to. Which is good, because I've never really been into fantasy.

Anyways.

A couple of hours ago I reach for her laptop to print something out and I open Microsoft Word and see that she is currently drafting a letter to George Martin (the writer of Game of Thrones). It starts off as a normal cutesy fan mail but then in the second paragraph it goes on to state that her boyfriend is his biggest fan and has been given 6-8 months to live by his doctor, and that it would "make his life complete" (actual words) to be able to read the next book before I die. She essentially asks if theres any chance he can finish it in time so that her boyfriend can enjoy it before his passing. And she uses my actual name in there. I AM loving LIVID. I don't get how she could use me in this way, or even joke about my death. She could have easily just put her own name in there instead. I guess she didn't think I would mind because she made no effort to hide it or anything, but I just can't loving believe she would be so oblivious to something like this. I deleted the letter in a rage and now I'm actually up and pacing around trying to think what to do. She gets home in 4 hours.

Reddit, is this grounds for breaking up? What do I do?

tl;dr: Girlfriend exaggerated my cancer diagnosis for her own personal gain, and now I'm so angry and hurt I can't see straight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

The thread is basically dead anyways. Once the show starts it will kick back up again, but between seasons there's nothing left to discuss because nothing has happened in the books worth talking about since 2001.

And even then, all it is to discuss is how awful the show is compared to the majesty of the books.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Some more cool speculation to tide you over till July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUVr_lUxYf8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I can't believe this guy gets hundreds of thousands of views for content that amounts to click bait about theories that are old as dirt. There are angelfire pages about the Knight of the Laughing Tree that outline the exact same information as in the video (well, except for the ridiculous warging stuff). I guess you gotta respect his entrepreneurship.

• Locked thread