Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's doing it right but a little out of my budget at the moment. And triple the value of the trailer they would go on.

I'll probably end up grinding off the existing welded-on coupler, bolt a new one on and just live with surge brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops wrong thread

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, that's doing it right but a little out of my budget at the moment. And triple the value of the trailer they would go on.

I'll probably end up grinding off the existing welded-on coupler, bolt a new one on and just live with surge brakes.

How much weight are you towing?

EOH are definitely a bit of an investment but worth it.

I tow a 5500lb dry boat so probably 7500 or 8000 loaded up with trailer. It is night and day difference from surge drums to EOH discs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My father had electric brakes on his boat trailer that we used for years when I was a kid, and there were never any problems with it. Maybe if you are launching in salt water it might be a problem, but for fresh water I don't think there is much to worry about as long as things are properly maintained, or at least I don't remember any issues for the many years that we hauled the boats around.

Later on we changed boats and the trailer on the new boat had surge brakes, and I remember my dad hated them with a passion after having the electric brakes for so long.

My car trailer had electrics and you are right, the ability to apply the trailer brakes independent of the tow vehicle is really great for stabilizing things if the trailer decides to get a bit squirrely.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Dear God, EoH is the way to go. I towed a 12000 lb boat trailer from MA to basically the entire East Coast. Hydraulic brakes saved my rear end more times than I can count. Electric drums suck.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The thing with electric brakes is that on a car hauler or box trailer they make sense.

But with a boat trailer, you're literally putting electricity under water. I realize they are sealed but only for so long and then poof.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they're properly sealed, it doesn't matter.

People put submarines under water and those are full of electricity.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I always unplug my trailer lights before launching or retrieving my boat, and give them a bit of time to drain before plugging them back in. Granted, they're not trailer brakes, but it works well enough.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you unplug them, you're disabling one of the big advantages of electric brakes instead of surge...which is that you have trailer brakes in reverse on sometimes steep and slick ramps.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Scrapez posted:

How much weight are you towing?

EOH are definitely a bit of an investment but worth it.

I tow a 5500lb dry boat so probably 7500 or 8000 loaded up with trailer. It is night and day difference from surge drums to EOH discs.

My trailer's GVWR is 5000, I doubt the total weight will is over 3600lbs.

I'll only be launching in freshwater for the foreseeable future.

I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself. Who knows if new brakes will even fit my weirdo square, 2500lb axels from 1974.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Are you guys regularly submerging the tongue of your trailer when launching? Maybe we just have steep ramps around here but that seems like a rare occurrence. Not sure why EOH would be more worrisome than surge from a wiring standpoint, the brake wires don't go to the calipers, just to the pump on the tongue. Factory trailer wiring tends to be woefully lovely anyway and the lights are pretty cheap these days too, so you gotta figure on replacing it every decade at least unless you never go in salt water/are religious about rinsing.

gently caress drum brakes forever.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've ever heard a worry about EOH.

In my case, EOH is out on account of cost. I will try to stick with the drums I have and either replace the wheel cylinders or switch to 10" electrics. Even if the electrics only hold for a season or two they're cheap enough that I can deal with it, and as a trailer noob I'm terrified of sway coming downhill.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Big Taint posted:

Are you guys regularly submerging the tongue of your trailer when launching? Maybe we just have steep ramps around here but that seems like a rare occurrence. Not sure why EOH would be more worrisome than surge from a wiring standpoint, the brake wires don't go to the calipers, just to the pump on the tongue. Factory trailer wiring tends to be woefully lovely anyway and the lights are pretty cheap these days too, so you gotta figure on replacing it every decade at least unless you never go in salt water/are religious about rinsing.

gently caress drum brakes forever.

He wasn't suggesting putting on EOH. He was talking about installing straight up electric drums. 12 volts directly to the hubs that are submerged.

That is precisely the reason for EOH, it insures you don't submerge anything electrified. Definitely want to put your EOH actuator in a spot that it isn't going to get submerged and if you're launching somewhere you have to put your trailer in that far, you might want to find a different ramp. lol

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Those exist?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Big Taint posted:

Those exist?

I guess. Could just be the Internet pulling my leg.

And why do they call it EOH? Shouldn't it be Hydraulic over Electric since the brake signal is transmitted electronically? HOE brakes, rite?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Boat season is coming! :woop:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

monsterzero posted:

And why do they call it EOH? Shouldn't it be Hydraulic over Electric since the brake signal is transmitted electronically? HOE brakes, rite?

It makes sense to me... Electric command over hydraulic brakes.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

monsterzero posted:

Electrically-operated Hydraulic?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Electrically-operated Hydraulic?

As opposed to steam-hydraulic?

Nah just kidding, they'd just shoot steam right through the winches back then. Because gently caress you, that's why.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
This is all getting much to complicated. I'm just going to run a line up to the the window of the truck. If I release it, it will drop an old anchor that's chained to the trailer to slow me down.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

drat, they do exist. My previous comment stands: gently caress drum brakes forever. No matter how they're actuated.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Having owned both AOH and EOH, I'd say get air every time. It runs off a packaged 12v compressor so you don't need to do anything stupid with your car/truck and the brake actuation is much faster than EOH. You also don't need to have a separate trailer battery & charger for a break-away system.

n-thing the 'gently caress drums' crowd.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Ended up ordering a new actuator and drum assemblies. Unfortunately, everything is on back-order because it's fix-yer-trailer season.

In the meantime I got to work replacing my keel hanger bolts. Three of the four were replaced easily. Number four was a rough pentagon or rust so I went at it with a bolt remover, impact driver and a big hammer. It turns out I'm not the first to attempt pulling this sword from the stone:

That's some PO's eZ-out.

Looks like I'll need to cut a hole in my pristine sole so I can grind out the weldment. I guess it's good I wasn't planning on sailing any time soon.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I have a 1988 Evinrude 88 outboard. I had an intermittent hard miss in the engine after about a half hour's run the last time I took it out. It would go minutes between missing sometimes, and it never made the engine stall completely. It was not RPM dependent. It's always had a slight miss at idle sometimes, but all of these I've seen do. I went through today and tested all the coils and spark plugs, tested the rectifier, then cleaned all of the contacts and slathered them in dielectric grease. I didn't notice anything wrong when running the engine on the hose, however I DID notice a spark jumping from the CDI box to the ground point on the engine block every so often, maybe 10-20 seconds apart. There doesn't seem to be a rhythm to it. The epoxy on the box isn't burned anywhere, could this just be a bad ground connection causing it to arc?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

...however I DID notice a spark jumping from the CDI box to the ground point on the engine block every so often, maybe 10-20 seconds apart. There doesn't seem to be a rhythm to it. The epoxy on the box isn't burned anywhere, could this just be a bad ground connection causing it to arc?

I don't know outboards, but that doesn't sound right at all. Is it oily at all? I would definitely check all connections and grounds, and go from there.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

monsterzero posted:

I don't know outboards, but that doesn't sound right at all. Is it oily at all? I would definitely check all connections and grounds, and go from there.

It's plausibly oily, as is everything on a 30-year-old two-stroke engine. I will clean all connections and see if it persists.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

It's plausibly oily, as is everything on a 30-year-old two-stroke engine. I will clean all connections and see if it persists.

'Well preserved' is how I would describe my 1975 6hp. Lightly pickled maybe.

Where exactly are you seeing the spark? Is it the connector marked 44 on this parts diagram?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the 3d printing thread, making replacement light fixtures for my Scout 172.

A quick and dirty boat light fixture replacement:

The exterior:

The back side. The old incandescent lamp backing has disintegrated over the 20 years the boat's been around.

Replacement printed:

LEDs installed. Still going to insulate the connections with silicone.

Clamped together to get the feel:

Probably going to print one more iteration after I try this one out on the boat tomorrow. I don't think the lens sits deep enough in the print to fit flush on the boat. Already have the design tweaked, just got to print it tomorrow.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looks like you just need to counter bore the screw holes for the bezel, or is there not enough thickness in the print?

savex
May 28, 2014

Neslepaks posted:

Boat season is coming! :woop:

Not soon enough!!!!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Looks like you just need to counter bore the screw holes for the bezel, or is there not enough thickness in the print?

There is, and I will. The screw holes aren't exactly lined up either. I'll probably drill it out and reinforce with some glue/epoxy around there.

Also, the recess for the lens wasn't deep enough on that one, so the one I'm printing now should be better.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

monsterzero posted:

'Well preserved' is how I would describe my 1975 6hp. Lightly pickled maybe.

Where exactly are you seeing the spark? Is it the connector marked 44 on this parts diagram?

It's similar. It's a ring terminal that goes around the mounting bolt.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

It's similar. It's a ring terminal that goes around the mounting bolt.

Is it still doing it after cleaning/reseating? If you see arcing at a ground point, that's a problem.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Courtesy lights installed:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Got the boat into the water today, but of course it's got a very annoying engine issue :negative:
I changed the diesel filter last fall and don't think I bled the fuel system properly, so now I'm chasing that air bubble. The engine runs, but unevenly and at low RPM. Sometimes it peps up and goes back to normal but then it goes back to running badly. I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do (bleed the injector lines) but I didn't have time to do it today so now I get to be annoyed at an unsolved problem all week...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Racing season is delayed, as our harbor is underwater and everything is eroding. :ohdear:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TrueChaos posted:

Racing season is delayed, as our harbor is underwater and everything is eroding. :ohdear:

Same thing here, but we won't even be able to get to the storage yard for a few more weeks, way things are going. Never mind being able to launch, have floating docks moored, or waiting until the river is clear of debris.

Also if you want to be subtle about your location, you might want to blur those registration numbers, eh?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doesn't work on me! I grew up just down the road from lol but really and I'd recognize those houses on the water any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Oscillating tools are pretty cool.

I'll glass in a new one this weekend and hopefully stand the mast for the first time. And maybe fix my trailer.

Has anyone used those little chrome solar powered vent fans on their boat? Do they move enough air to keep a small boat, a Catalina 22 specifically, fresh while sailing/camping out or is it more of a way to keep your boat from getting funky in the slip?