Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

What's a good way to get sunlight medals on a lvl 120 character? I've been getting summoned at a decent rate for Demon Prince but the fight is really long and hosts die a lot. Am I better off just farming Lothric Knights? I've thought about doing invasions/fight clubs but I'm burnt out on pvp after farming tongues and shackles.
Sunbro success rates for Gael and Midir have been pretty dire (or maybe i've just gotten a lot of hosts on their very first attempt), Demon Prince is rough but not as bad. I got 40-50 just from nameless king and Friede, usually those are gimmies unless it's an insanely laggy (or squishy+aggressive) host. Soul of Cinder is pretty fun, as is Champion Gundyr (if you can get summoned for him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Patch notes include

Reduced stamina consumption of L1 (LB) attacks and increased damage for “Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords”

lol

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

What's a good way to get sunlight medals on a lvl 120 character? I've been getting summoned at a decent rate for Demon Prince but the fight is really long and hosts die a lot. Am I better off just farming Lothric Knights? I've thought about doing invasions/fight clubs but I'm burnt out on pvp after farming tongues and shackles.

Yhorm is the best for Sunlight medals.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Patch notes include

Reduced stamina consumption of L1 (LB) attacks and increased damage for “Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords”

lol

Yeah, but the trade off is they made it so you can't just 100-0% a dude with your dual attacks

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Patch notes include

lol

They nerfed the tracking in exchange.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Last time I fought someone with those swords in a duel I waited for his jump, rolled behind him, and he spun 180 degrees in midair before flattening me. Good riddance.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Wow, Demon Prince does not give a gently caress about lightning. I generally hit stuff for around 850 with Sunlight Spear, but I was hitting him for about 250. Went with throwing bugs at him and that went pretty easy. Gael is a monster against him, though, and staggered him about 5 times.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am loving Voldt's great hammer. I managed to kill a Black Knight in only 3 swings. This thing is a bastard and a half and the frostbite damage is the cherry on top.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Finally beat the demonprince by assigning a hundred percent of my estus to ashen, grabbing the sunless talisman and dorheys gnawing and throwing bugs over and over from the sidelines while Pat- LAPP and gael tanked everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Finally beat the demonprince by assigning a hundred percent of my estus to ashen, grabbing the sunless talisman and dorheys gnawing and throwing bugs over and over from the sidelines while Pat- LAPP and gael tanked everything.

Ha, so the first run of the DLC it took me like thirty tries.

Second run at it, I beat Demon Prince first try by doing Doryhs Gnawing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What if.. instead of having to apportion your Estus ahead of time, you just had a certain number of charges and you could take either a blue sippy or an orange sippy as you pleased :shrug:

That would have been a lot more fun I think.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sapozhnik posted:

What if.. instead of having to apportion your Estus ahead of time, you just had a certain number of charges and you could take either a blue sippy or an orange sippy as you pleased :shrug:

Honestly I don't have a problem with the current estus system and on-the-fly estus switching would probably have been a bit harder to implement. I do wish you could apportion it yourself at any bonfire though, there's no reason why you should have to tell Andre to do it for you.

e: while we're spitballing random mechanics changes though, I wish you could attune multiple copies of spells to shave a little bit off their FP cost

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 14, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I wish you could level up at the best waifu, a bonfire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the bonfire can't be barefoot so miyazaki didn't support it being the thing to level at

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Johnny Joestar posted:

the bonfire can't be barefoot so miyazaki didn't support it being the thing to level at

I'm sure there's someway we can turn the bonfire into a waifu. we have the technology.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Have you guys seen the Adventure Time episode with the circular train? It's a parody of video games in general, but I think Dark Souls in particular, because it sums up the depressing self-critique at the heart of these games' weird universe. Plus Old Finn looks a lot like a souls boss

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

swamp waste posted:

Have you guys seen the Adventure Time episode with the circular train? It's a parody of video games in general, but I think Dark Souls in particular, because it sums up the depressing self-critique at the heart of these games' weird universe. Plus Old Finn looks a lot like a souls boss

Parry Lord Fynn to death and link the first flame.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sure there's someway we can turn the bonfire into a waifu. we have the technology.
Against better judgment i consulted The Technology (aka google) and have two things to report:
1. Never not use safe search, even when you think you're safe. Especially when you think you're safe.
2. Of course it has a know-your-meme entry.

Silver lining: it also lead me to this (which FROM never delivered on, sadly)

source
even comes with a sufficient amount of bare feet!

Sleekly posted:

Wasn't that some ones fan art?
Probably the guy who's deviantart i linked directly under the image which is also watermarked with his appropriately deviantart-y alias

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 14, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Wasn't that some ones fan art?
I remember ladder mimics and switches as well in that style. Ladder mimic particularly evil.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The closest we got to a bonfire mimic were the suddenly exploding ones in Scholar of the First Sin

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jay Rust posted:

The closest we got to a bonfire mimic were the suddenly exploding ones in Scholar of the First Sin

I thought he was an enemy the first time I played scholar and ran away because the rotton wooped my rear end

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Finally Miyazaki's true vision is realized.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The bonfire sword is actually poking out of a waifu's head and when you pick "level up" she rises out of the ground and says "Bearer seek seek lest"

Swastikatzen
Apr 10, 2006

Despite logging hundreds of hours in the series I've never had a serious go at a Faith build. I remember casting being pretty meh overall at launch, but figured with all the DLC a lot has probably changed. Is faith decent now? Should I go full faith, or do something like dex/faith or str/faith and basically just use miracles for buffs and utility? Any build suggestions and weapon recommendations appreciated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Augus posted:

The bonfire sword is actually poking out of a waifu's head and when you pick "level up" she rises out of the ground and says "Bearer seek seek lest"

If you're hollow there's a one in one hundred chance you hear "FEEBLE CURSED ONE".

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Swastikatzen posted:

Despite logging hundreds of hours in the series I've never had a serious go at a Faith build. I remember casting being pretty meh overall at launch, but figured with all the DLC a lot has probably changed. Is faith decent now? Should I go full faith, or do something like dex/faith or str/faith and basically just use miracles for buffs and utility? Any build suggestions and weapon recommendations appreciated.

Buffs and healing while waiting for late game offensive miracles is your best idea, yeh.

The lothric straight and astora great swords get an s scaling in faith when lightning infused. Astora and sunlight straight sword scale off faith (somewhat).

Executioners sword can be buffed and is strength/strike damage like the mace but actually has range.

The fact you can stack health regen makes faith/strength builds perfect for trading hits. Plus there are a ton of str/faith weapons so I'd go down that path (it starts with wolnirs faith-scaling bastard sword and ends with mornes trade hammer).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

If you're hollow there's a one in one hundred chance you hear "FEEBLE CURSED ONE".

Straid is still my favorite NPC because he does not give a single god drat

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay. I finished The Ringed City.

I encountered precisely one awful thing that was probably a bug at the very, very beginning, and the rest of it proceeded to loving dazzle me beyond all expectations. And terrify, and thrill, and emotionally gut-punch.

On one hand it's a little bittersweet, because you could probably take the Ringed City setting itself to make an entirely separate game, but as it stands, you couldn't ask for a better note to end the series on.

I think Midir might by one of my favorite bosses in the series, because you gotta love how the best way to take on a gigantic terrifying dragon is to always be right up in his face. All the better to see the poor guy's meticulously-animated exhaustion, like the dragon equivalent of an old family dog who just ain't got it in him, anymore. You did good, boy. :smith:

swamp waste posted:

Plus Old Finn looks a lot like a souls boss

Someone please make a mod that gives Slave Knight Gael Finn's hat

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Swastikatzen posted:

Just go for the min faith to use the miracles you want. Doryh's gnawing is going to be your primary offensive miracle. Lightning and blessed scale a lot better now, but the best scaling items are all in the dlc. Earth Seeker and the crucifix of the mad king

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Sapozhnik posted:

It'd change up balance a lot though since it'd mean everyone would have tons of healing, you got fifteen uses and if you're playing your wizboy right you won't be compromising on your melee damage output meaning you won't be spending very many sips on magic but you are pretty fragile which'll mean you wanna stay topped up on the red stuff. It'd make pvping more of a slog basically.

Protip, miracles are support for being a swordboy and will never be your primary 'thing', no matter how much lightning used to own bones at the start of dark souls 2

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Swastikatzen posted:

You can do either.

Lightning arrow is one of the two really good spells for pvp, if you're at all interested. Holding a lightning arrow(casting with talisman for poise) until your opponent attacks and then trading, then casting black flame(while still in poise from the talisman) is basically unbeatable for a lot of builds

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They patched that out

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh yeah, I would also appreciate it if someone please modded MGR:R's "It Has to Be This Way" as the music that plays fighting Gael.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

Straid is still my favorite NPC because he does not give a single god drat

Straid is such a smug rear end poo poo and I love him every single second for it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah but he's also so desperate for somebody to talk to that it is literally impossible to be too stupid for him to acknowledge you (he has lines for this but it's impossible to get your INT low enough to actually hear them)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He can't be that desperate considering he's standing in the same room as 10-ish exploding suicide bomber mummies. Not only are they not good for conversation, they will detonate anybody who is!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I wish Straid had a quest. Dude talks the talk, but he just sits in a room all game. What a poseur

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

He's actually running a D&D game for all those exploding mummies.

v v v There is a reason for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish 99% of the Dark Souls 2 NPCs had quests! Why won't Chloanne acknowledge the existence of her father even though she's sitting 10 feet away from him!