Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If Subnautica was easy to mod it would have been modded like crazy already. I could really do with some more base building options and more sources of Titanium at lower depths. It's really annoying having wrecks be the only real source of building blocks for your bases. In my new campaign I wanted to build little outposts all over the place but turns out it's super tedious to get enough titanium for even a small outpost so I just defaulted to loading up the Cyclops with a few plants and an aquarium full of the water fish.

If a mod was able to re-balance crafting costs and keep materials relevant for more than 2 recipes before moving on to the next tier I'd never play without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I expect if Subnautica was moddable, then we'd get the Realistic Calorie Consumption Mod.

Somehow, someone would go through the pain to establish all these realistic data modules on energy output per hr, and then say we need to eat twice as often in game because 'realistic' survivor.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

I expect if Subnautica was moddable, then we'd get the Realistic Calorie Consumption Mod.

Somehow, someone would go through the pain to establish all these realistic data modules on energy output per hr, and then say we need to eat twice as often in game because 'realistic' survivor.
That would be great because then the people who enjoy that sort of thing will be happy and the devs wouldn't feel they have to implement ideas to make only a small, vocal segment happy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

That would be great because then the people who enjoy that sort of thing will be happy and the devs wouldn't feel they have to implement ideas to make only a small, vocal segment happy.

Nah, even with Mods for super brutal "survival" effects you still get people clamoring to make things harder :v: For example, look at the average survival difficulty discussion for modern Fallout games.

They want these things as much for bragging rights by default. It's harder to claim you are better at videogames when things are well balanced enough for most to not complain it's annoying. But the more annoying it is, the more they can say "Well I love it, and in fact think it should be worse to keep CoD casuals like you out of my game :smug:" to the average sane person giving critique.

Even if you are good at the game, people will still talk poo poo regardless of the genre if you suggest it could be more balanced. Did you beat Artorias and Kalameet on the first try on your first blindplaythrough of Darksouls, AND had red Vagrants spawn every time on the anor londo bridge? You're a casual because you are miffed at dying by way of clipping through the floor and outside the map geometry. Did you beat the boss in Freedom planet the devs are asking "So we've noticed death spikes in the literal hundreds, help us fix this" no problem? You're a casual for mentioning the second playable character could stand to use 0.5 seconds more I frames with a full super bar because the bosses are designed around the first character having a double jump and Sparkster dash. Etc.

"This is OLDSCHOOL Sonic gameplay. You can't handle oldschool" "Oldschool Sonic? You mean like Mercy invulnerability that this game doesn't have? Cool lets put in more oldschool then." "Uh, well... gently caress you go back to CoD"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 10, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The current experimental patch actually seems to be making things easier BTW. 2 rubber from 1 creepvine seed instead of 1 from 2. 1 lube from 1 seed instead of 1 for 3. Magnesium is gone and now the repair tool just needs 2 salt. That sort of thing. Also finally replacing old placeholder graphics.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The first thing I would mod in is a little Michael Biehn in a Seamoth that spawns in the void and just sinks screaming until he implodes.

I was playing there yesterday and was tooling around the lost river by the skeleton of that huge beast and I was thinking "Wow, how pants making GBS threads would it be to meet that creature alive." randomly peppering the void with huge home brewed monsters both ethereally beautiful and deadly would be a cool project for the community. I would enjoy a weird slideshow journey the further and deeper you got. Just for shits and giggles.

I also got some new speakers recently and I don't know if they updated the sound much too, but the sound design is unbelievable now. The ranges and quality of the deep bass sounds is spectacular. It's not like I had bad speakers before or the game sounded bad. But holy shitballs the atmosphere when you are in the vast, deep areas.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 11, 2017

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'm definitely going to purchase a good set of headphones for my next and final playthrough. Just waiting for 1.0.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure they've done it in part to hide how horizontally small the map is. You can cross the map from one "void" edge to the other in a few minutes using the seamoth (Delays from pop in or bonesharks/reapers not withstanding) and even in the slow cyclops it didn't take particularly long.

Done what? Because it certainly isn't the Cyclops changes seeing as the thing practically flies (relatively speaking) at flank speed. Now getting past the boring part of a trip takes no time at all.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I accidentally stranded my cyclops in the lava cave because I didn't know that the lava worms suck energy. This kinda sucks.

On the bright side I found the secret thing and I brought a bunch of junk with me to build a base, so I think I'll just set up a base here with a bio and thermal reactor and recharge my cells.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I accidentally stranded my cyclops in the lava cave because I didn't know that the lava worms suck energy. This kinda sucks.

On the bright side I found the secret thing and I brought a bunch of junk with me to build a base, so I think I'll just set up a base here with a bio and thermal reactor and recharge my cells.

That's why it's worthwhile to scan and read the entries on everything new you come across. One neat trick is to pull all your powercells for a minute and then put them back in. With no power to suck, they detach and swim away.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 13, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

That's why it's worthwhile to scan and read the entries on everything new you come across. One neat trick is to pull all your powercells for a minute and then put them back in. With no power to suck, they detach and swim away.

Yeah I should have thought ahead and brought a reinforced diving suit too. I hope growbeds work down here because I brought a full seed bank, my plan was to set up a fully operational base in the lava zone but I might just move it a bit up so going outside doesn't kill me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just bring a breeding pair of Reginalds and enough glass to make a containment tank.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 13, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

Just being a breeding pair of Reginalds and enough glass to make a containment tank.

You also need Creepvine for lubricant/rubber.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you're trying to do everything you can do on the surface. What do you need a replenishing source of rubber/lubricant for at that point anyway? I wouldn't think it'd be fun spending a couple hours of bringing materials down for the 5 minute feel good that you did so.

I assumed a lava base is just a source of food/water.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I love playing house, I wish the game had a greater variety of base components and interior decorative objects but I have a feeling this close to launch that isn't in the cards :saddowns:

Haven't yet attempted to decompile the game. If I get around to it I'll report back on my findings (I'm expecting obfuscated code but on the off chance it isn't, the game's about to get a lot more interesting!)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty posted:

If you're trying to do everything you can do on the surface. What do you need a replenishing source of rubber/lubricant for at that point anyway? I wouldn't think it'd be fun spending a couple hours of bringing materials down for the 5 minute feel good that you did so.

I assumed a lava base is just a source of food/water.

You need lube for every kind of power plant and if you have to replace a vehicle. Rubber is good for bulwarks and ion cells and such. Besides you just need one seed to get it started and you gotta put something in the Aquarium planters anyway.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Xibanya posted:

I love playing house, I wish the game had a greater variety of base components and interior decorative objects but I have a feeling this close to launch that isn't in the cards :saddowns:

This is where modding would be amazing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Haven't done this yet but it's tempting. One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed. I just want a chill underwater exploration thing where I can zip around in my fighter plane seamoth. Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Right, I'm pretty sure this means the thread has reached unsalvageable levels of negative garbage. Between this and my last attempt at being positive about the game I'm sure as hell never coming back.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Why does this game break people's brains so easily lol. Looking forward to Section Z's 8 paragraph response that says nothing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

Yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I3pcSPDwic

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed.

Yeah, I follow the development progress in the hopes that they will release some novel content or game mechanics that will entice me to start a new playthrough. As things stand, the game has very little replayability.

• The map is static rather than randomized, so after the first playthrough you learn where everything is and the sense of exploration goes away.
  • There is no character development so you can't say "next time I'm going to build my character as an Explorer/Builder/Scientist/etc."
  • The "plot" is linear as well so you can't say "next time I'm going to kill those bastards instead of forming an alliance with them"

Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun game the first one or two times. Then it gets stale, because the core mechanics are too repetitive and tedious (inventory management, the constant need to eat/drink, etc.) and there is no variability to anything.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I havn;t played this yet, was thinking of getting it, but the last page of this thread makes me feel like this is a bad game?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 14, 2017

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I don't know. I'm not in love with the cyclops changes since it adds more tedium for essentially no reason except for perhaps under some false pretenses of "realism" in a game with dark matter space ships and stasis guns.

Overall the game is still fun. I'm just not a fan of the cyclops changes. Increasing tedium for apparently no reason is something I'm not a fan of. My hope is that they give us more options to reduce the tedium by making new pieces of equipment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I havn;t played this yet, was thinking of getting it, but the last page of this threads makes me feel like this is a bad game?

I think it's definitely worth $20, but the price is going to go up with release so if you are interested you should get it now.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I really like hand-crafted worlds and rarely replay games more than once or twice, so the static setting doesn't bug me at all really.

As for the Cyclops, I haven't played with it yet so I'll reserve judgement, but it at least sounds alright to me. What is tedium and what is fun gameplay isn't clear cut.

Also, people seem to treat any changes as final patches when the game is actually in Greenlight. Maybe the general player base really are crazy and leading the devs down a bad road. But making far reaching changes and tweaking them later is pretty par for the course in development. It's fine to think the cyclops being destructible is a bad choice, that's probably not going to change until release, but how much hp it has, how aggressive wild life is and what animals are aggressive to it may very well change.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Haven't done this yet but it's tempting. One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed. I just want a chill underwater exploration thing where I can zip around in my fighter plane seamoth. Is it possible to revert to a pre-april 2016 build somehow? (serious question)

Lol.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I really like hand-crafted worlds and rarely replay games more than once or twice, so the static setting doesn't bug me at all really.

Hand-crafted worlds are fine if they are large enough. Witcher 3 is a great example: multiple huge zones, each with numerous areas and countless nooks and crannies means spending tens of hours of gameplay just to explore. Granted that is a $50 game, but it's an example of how to do hand-crafted worlds correctly.

On the other hand, if the development team is small and the budget is small, the logical thing to do is to create lots of presets and develop a method of randomization that will stitch them together during world generation at the beginning. There are many games that do a superb job with this as well. I feel like Subnautica's team bit off more than they can chew, as evidenced by the fact that the game has been in Early Access for two and a half years.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ambaire posted:

you are a gigantic baby

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If you don't want to worry about the survival stuff, why not just play creative mode? You can spawn subs and never have to worry about anything. If you want to play survival, you have to recognize that the fact that you could build a 100% invincible mobile base that also provides infinite food and water needed to change. I really don't get you people.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is not a 100 hour game and trying to play it over and over like one isn't going to increase your enjoyment. Judging from the plot that's already there It's looking like a 15-20 hour experience with a static plot and a specific end goal without a ton of replayability.

It's going to be plenty of fun for people who haven't been obsessively installing and playing every patch.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Bhodi posted:

This is not a 100 hour game and trying to play it over and over like one isn't going to increase your enjoyment. Judging from the plot that's already there It's looking like a 15-20 hour experience with a static plot and a specific end goal without a ton of replayability.

It's going to be plenty of fun for people who haven't been obsessively installing and playing every patch.

Even after the storymode dries up for you (replayability may vary between players) it's still got value as a cool alien fish touching simulator.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The game is still worth $20 imo, and I'm not deleting it. I put in like 50 hours, it's a good game; it's just a shame that effort is being spent on silly things at this point.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I havn;t played this yet, was thinking of getting it, but the last page of this thread makes me feel like this is a bad game?

It's a good game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Yeah man, I was an early adopter of "I bet they do X cool sounding thing in a tedious way" and even I'm not holding a gun in my mouth over buying this. All my frustrations are how much of a cool game there is still in here getting progressively chipped away by bog standard survival hobo design. A good game being liberally sprinkled in annoying decisions, rather than a bad game with a couple good points.

emoji posted:

Why does this game break people's brains so easily lol. Looking forward to Section Z's 8 paragraph response that says nothing.

I don't need as many of those when "Nothing" is handled by more thread posters these days :v:

7c Nickel posted:

If you don't want to worry about the survival stuff, why not just play creative mode? You can spawn subs and never have to worry about anything. If you want to play survival, you have to recognize that the fact that you could build a 100% invincible mobile base that also provides infinite food and water needed to change. I really don't get you people.

Creative mode disables the story. While there isn't much of one to speak of, it's what drives the need/desire to travel any distance in the first place. But then "If you don't like it, just play creative mode" has always seemed like a cop out on any balance discussion.

Well that and people jumping the gun to "Why do you want the game handed to you on a silver platter!?". It's not like anybody is asking for swimming, seamoths, or exosuit to be invulerable hugbox zones. Just questioning small sharks ramming the poo poo out of your giant submarine not even reapers can eat for no reason but "Videogame predators = always on aggro".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a difference between 100% invincible and "have to drive in first gear everywhere to avoid taking tedious chip damage from everything."

Making it vulnerable to massive lifeforms and environmental hazards would be one thing but I see no compelling reason to make it vulnerable to smaller things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

There's a difference between 100% invincible and "have to drive in first gear everywhere to avoid taking tedious chip damage from everything."

Making it vulnerable to massive lifeforms and environmental hazards would be one thing but I see no compelling reason to make it vulnerable to smaller things.

Meanwhile, people on the more official and steam forums are busy complaining that you should still be attacked while in stealth mode. We could make stealth mode run on a limited time uranium battery charge and the people encouraging this sort of mechanic would always complain it's OP so long as anything designed to protect you, actually protects you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not even as though it does anything, moving around on the surface is easy, in any vehicle. Why would the biggest most expensive vehicle be more affected by wildlife than any of the other vehicles?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

OwlFancier posted:

The thing is, the way things are implemented now you are still functionally immune to wildlife (as far as I've seen) as long as you stay in stealth mode. Really all they've done is make you move slower in your cyclops and have to repair the thing every time you run into a rock. If you don't fix your ship it will start to harass you about hull damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You can drive full speed pretty much everywhere it's practical to drive full speed. And full speed is faster than before. The main thing this changes is that you can't just ram leviathans for fun. If you want to taunt the big wildlife just get in a Seamoth with the zap system or torpedoes. Or grapple on to it with a Prawn suit and punch it.

https://streamable.com/of6cn