Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's an AMA Jamie Mathieson did on Reddit shortly before the episode came out.

One thing he mentions is that he hasn't heard from Chibnall about contributing to season 11 and he expects that Chibnall will largely have his own team with him. Disappointing if that's how it pans out but probably not unexpected.

I'm not nearly as apprehensive about Chibnall as showrunner as I once would have been (he's grown a lot as a writer since the dark dark days of early Torchwood) but this certainly isn't the best news I've ever heard.

Then again, I doubt all those decisions have even been made and frankly I'll be happy if we have a Season 11 at all before 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Chokes McGee posted:

Nardole's head is organic, the body is the robot. I mean, the Doctor can't just sew his head onto a corpse after what happened during River's episode.

... right?

He gave him River's old one.

Nardole's... let it go a bit.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Shut up Nardole, and stop wriggling, can't get it in.'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's only so many good tv writers in the UK, especially ones who will happily work on Who. Matthison will be back.

Also, yes! I now remember thinking 'ah, respiratory bypass!' while watching the episode.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

There's only so many good tv writers in the UK, especially ones who will happily work on Who. Matthison will be back.

Also, yes! I now remember thinking 'ah, respiratory bypass!' while watching the episode.

Time Lords can also survive in the vacuum of space (Twelve specifically had zero problems taking his time getting into a spacesuit) so I'm not sure how long they were out there if his eyes boiled in the meantime. :ohdear:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Oxygen was a good episode, but of all the obvious twists this one was the most obvious.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Time Lords can also survive in the vacuum of space (Twelve specifically had zero problems taking his time getting into a spacesuit) so I'm not sure how long they were out there if his eyes boiled in the meantime. :ohdear:

Have we seen a time lord exposed to hard vacuum for more than about thirty seconds or so? The impression I have is that they were outside for about five to ten minutes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Looks vaguely in the direction of the woman he hears speaking to him. "You're a beautiful woman, probably."

:lol: Capaldi has been channeling Four a little bit this season.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The trailer for the next episode reminds me of The Red Lady, which was one of the best of the small handful of BF adventures I've consumed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sad King Billy posted:

I don't care what gender, sexuality, colour or whatever 'ism the Doctor is. The important thing it that they are selected because they would make a good Doctor.

What if they're blue?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

*Blueish

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Astroman posted:

What if they're blue?

Great, a racist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That blue alien/racist bit reminded me of the RTD days, but in an endearing way. He loving loved that joke :)

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Astroman posted:

What if they're blue?

The aliens from Blue by Eiffel 99 have no credibility and should have no part in Dr Who.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is a pretty strong season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I agree with others about the twist at the end of last episode; it's either something that's going to be resolved really quickly and be inconsequential or else it will get annoying pretty fast.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is a pretty strong season.

So far, best it's been since season 5. Bill's a solid companion, as others have said, Nardole is great comic relief and they don't overuse him too much, and I think they've taken away some of the dire grumpiness from the Doctor and restored his cheerful whimsy without shoving down our throats. I also like some of the more direct reaffirmations of what drives him ("The Universe reveals itself to you most when it's asking for your help", etc.).

It's funny that right after we discussed how the Doctor doesn't get involved in rebellions or attack systems anymore, he immediately caused a rebellion against space capitalism by embedding knowledge into two people to incite a workers' rebellion. It's not the same as the subtle ways he used to it, but I thought it was pretty good. I've really loved all four of Mathieson's episodes (I know some people are pretty lukewarm on The Girl Who Died because of the baby translation, but I really liked it). I also hope Sarah Dollard comes back. I'm not sure how I feel about Mike Bartlett yet. Most of what I liked about Knock Knock involved David Suchet himself but most of what I disliked about it were pacing issues in introducing the housemates, which could be either a writing or a directing thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's been years since I considered this show to be consistently good so I'm glad they're giving Capaldi a strong finish, because man the past two seasons were pretty fuckin bad. No real complaints about this season though, the Victorian London episode was probably the weakest but it was still good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
One interesting bit was this:

James Mathieson posted:

I made the Doctor blind but cured him by episode's end. Moffat took it and ran with it... For how long? I have no idea....

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jesus christ :cripes:

Is there any way around email registration? Because so far as I know the over 75 licence is still per household and my grandma sure as hell doesn't have an email address.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

One interesting bit was this:

I also like this bit about last season:

quote:

One thing that niggles me about the speech is his naming of the Boneless. There were originally a couple of recurring bits in scenes before this where he was struggling to name them. He would overhear the cleaners call them 'Crawling Death' or somesuch and you could see him in the Tardis considering the name, then rejecting it, making his naming of them The Boneless more of the end of a process rather than a proclamation out of nowhere.

e: confused about the comments on Chibnall sticking with Broadchurch writers, though; isn't that just... him? I don't think there are any other writing credits on the show.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also was the Ganymede mining company a red dwarf reference

I dunno, but Den of Geek saw that and the use of Eurostile in the graphics and sent me an email about it those both being RD homages, then made an article out of my half-guessed ramblings, which is slightly amusing:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/49433/doctor-who-series-10-the-hidden-roots-of-its-graphic-design

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

I saw an advert for it and it looks pretty bad. :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/864149784407486469

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, Volume Two: The Smug Year

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
AHHHHHH YESSSSSSSS

Edit: they're running a 24 hour sale on the first set of 10th stories, half off.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 15, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Wow, I guess Tennant really liked Big Finish!

Now we wait for a full Five/Ten crossover.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The fact that David is willing to come back makes 10's inclusion in the Chronicles line even more baffling to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Wow, I guess Tennant really liked Big Finish!

Now we wait for a full Five/Ten crossover.

I mean, he worked for them a ton before he even played the Doctor, so of course he'd come back to reprise the role.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
JACKIE'S BACK!!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, he worked for them a ton before he even played the Doctor, so of course he'd come back to reprise the role.

Oh. Right. :downs:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

JACKIE'S BACK!!!

After her story from the 9th Doctor Chronicles...yeah, this is some of the best news here.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

The fact that David is willing to come back makes 10's inclusion in the Chronicles line even more baffling to me.

Presumably they want as many new series stories as they can do and having David Tennant around once a year to record 3 hours worth of stories is not ideal, especially compared to how 4 through 8 record loads.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Now they just need to get Eccleston. Him, Piper, and Barrowman together on an audio would be The Best.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Too bad Eccleston hates Doctor Who.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

Which show is it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Too bad Eccleston hates Doctor Who.

That's not the impression he gave in a few statements in the lead up to the 50th. He's just put Doctor Who behind him and (currently) has little to no interest in reprising his role.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

He's just put Doctor Who behind him and (currently) has little to no interest in reprising his role.

Because he loving hates Doctor Who.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do you have a source on that? The worst I've heard him say is that he had some disagreements with some of the production staff from his season. That wouldn't be a problem for coming to do Big Finish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's no source either way and he's probably just, as you say, exploring other stuff in his career and busy, but he definitely did have some issues with the direction on the show, enough so that he found the experience unpleasant. It doesn't help that professional, polite actors would definitely say "Oh yeah, wonderful fans, not time for me to go back to that yet, but I hope all the best for the show its & current actors" is just the kind of thing someone would say whether they hated the show or really were just taking some space from it.

I think he probably has enough space from the parts of the show that he didn't like that he wouldn't be averse to coming back, but that Big Finish probably just isn't part of his current career path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't have a source for this but I mean, he said no to the 50th Special, poor Nick Briggs has to voice Nine for BF, and he's the least involved in anything to do with the show of practically every living actor who's played the part of The Doctor.

Dude hates Who.

• Locked thread