Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Drakhoran posted:

Since we're linking to Videocardz.com, anyone feel like a 48 core "Starship" chip on 7nm next year?

I feel anything that can be threaded to support 48 cores could be spread across several servers or maybe gpus instead of a single chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Drakhoran posted:

Since we're linking to Videocardz.com, anyone feel like a 48 core "Starship" chip on 7nm next year?

That would be awesome I wonder what the pricing will be or if its server only cpu.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drakhoran posted:

TRANSCODE ALL THE STREAMS

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Drakhoran posted:

The Dreadnought class starship USS Threadripper.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 12, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

spasticColon posted:

The Dreadnought class starship USS Threadripper.

In other news, the newest of the Ryzen class super-dreadnaughts, the Joro Vara launched last week amid fanfare and celebrations at the Advanced Macro Devices shipyard in the Jitzu system. Reports suggest the ship is armed with an unbelievable 48 weapons cores, with a spinal mount Threadripper super-string destabilization cannon. All eyes look to the competing shipyard conglomerate INTEL-NVIDIA in the Pascal-Prescott star cluster for their response. Our hopes and prayers go with our brave fighting men on the front lines against the ArchFoe.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Funny you should mention that. We finally have a Threadripper, and it's a codename for Ryzen 9 parts that correspond to Intel -E/-X parts.

Usual WCCFT caveats apply: Salt now so you're not salty later.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-lineup-threadripper/

Of note:

quote:

The Ryzen 9 lineup, code named Threadripper, will be compatible with a modified version of the company’s SP3 socket, code named SP3r2, which was originally designed for AMD’s 32 core Naples server parts. The new high-end desktop platform is code named “Whitehaven” and brings support for quad channel DDR4 memory support and 44 PCIe lanes to hardware enthusiasts, content creators and developers.

quote:

The Ryzen 9 1998X is allegedly the flagship of the new lineup, featuring 16 cores, 32 threads, a base clock speed of 3.5GHz and a boost clock speed of 3.9GHz with XFR ( Extended Frequency Range ). Amazingly, this CPU is only rated at 155W, 5 watts less than Intel’s upcoming Core i9-7920X 12 core flagship Skylake X CPU.
The Ryzen 9 1998 is the 1998X’s little brother, featuring 16 cores with slightly lower clock speeds of 3.2GHz base and 3.6GHz boost and the same 155W TDP.

I can't be the only one who immediately thought "K6!" as soon as I saw that 1998 number, right?

quote:

AMD’s new Ryzen 9 lineup and Whitehaven platform will reportedly be showcased at Computex (May 30th – June 2nd). According to sources in the upstream supply chain, the new high-end desktop offerings will launch alongside AMD’s 32 core Naples processors in June.

Did I say I was waiting for the May AGESA memory compatibility update before I bought in? Never mind, I have much better silicon to be looking at.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 15, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Funny you should mention that. We finally have a Threadripper, and it's a codename for Ryzen 9 parts that correspond to Intel -E/-X parts.

Usual WCCFT caveats apply: Salt now so you're not salty later.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-lineup-threadripper/

Of note:

I can't be the only one who immediately thought "K6!" as soon as I saw that 1998 number, right?

But the most important question goons have what about ecc?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Nah, a few care about it here since they actually want to do some semi serious work but ECC isn't seen as a must have at all really for the OC'ers/gamers.

Bigger question would be if they have this nasty bug fixed so you can run VM's and legacy 16 bit code properly.

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/vme-broken-on-amd-ryzen/

Supposedly its fixable through a microcode update since internally the CPU itself is just emulating all those old instructions anyways on the hardware. No word on a fix yet though. Seems to only have been known about publicly for a few days now as far as I can tell.

I'd expect it to be fixed soon, their new server platform is launching in a few months after all...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wargames posted:

But the most important question goons have what about ecc?

In all seriousness, given that these are clearly going to be server parts that failed server binning, probably yes.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Not to rip on WCtech or whatever, but: "Amazingly, this CPU is only rated at 155W, 5 watts less than Intel’s upcoming Core i9-7920X 12 core flagship Skylake X CPU."

Whole 5 watts, surely this is a marvel of power efficiency.
*turns on xfr*

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
5 watts less on 4 more cores is pretty neat, yeah

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Still depends if they are still doing the same TDP definition.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Are they going to try packaging an air cooler with the R9 1998x?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Truga posted:

5 watts less on 4 more cores is pretty neat, yeah

Actual power draw will be 200W because hahahah TDP

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Are they going to try packaging an air cooler with the R9 1998x?

It'll be an air cooler alright.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hell yeah party like it's nineteen ninety, uh, eight again because I'm actually thinking about making an AMD system :toot:

E: too bad 3DFX is dead :\

quote:

Did I say I was waiting for the May AGESA memory compatibility update before I bought in? Never mind, I have much better silicon to be looking at.

What's this? If I'm going to go through with a Ryzen rebuild it sounds like getting good memory is gonna be Very Important.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 15, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sormus posted:

Not to rip on WCtech or whatever, but: "Amazingly, this CPU is only rated at 155W, 5 watts less than Intel’s upcoming Core i9-7920X 12 core flagship Skylake X CPU."

Whole 5 watts, surely this is a marvel of power efficiency.
*turns on xfr*

160/12 = 13.3w per core
155/16 = 9.68w per core

Pretty decent difference in TDP, anyway.

e: So it doesn't get lost in the last thread

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 15, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

1997 and 1998 would be brilliant model numbers.

:sun:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
AMD's research arm is hard at work at making it 1999 again through magic or science.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nipples could be a really great HEDT machine. Very interested in seeing it benched.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Nipples could be a really great HEDT machine. Very interested in seeing it benched.

I like nipples well enough but I question their processing power, also I prefer dual core nipples for some reason, any more than that just seems weird to me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like nipples well enough but I question their processing power, also I prefer dual core nipples for some reason, any more than that just seems weird to me.

Oh I agree, I question if I'd ever need 16 Nipples.
Some people these days have sick workloads.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Munkeymon posted:

Hell yeah party like it's nineteen ninety, uh, eight again because I'm actually thinking about making an AMD system :toot:

E: too bad 3DFX is dead :\

What's this? If I'm going to go through with a Ryzen rebuild it sounds like getting good memory is gonna be Very Important.

This month's AGESA updates which they are pushing out to motherboard partners is adding up to 20 memory registers, in order to aid compatibility with XMP to allow kits with higher clocks to be used.

At last check, as the Infinity Fabric interconnect between cores appears to improve significantly with increased memory bandwidth, the higher frequencies of DDR4 are desirable. (Diminishing returns kicks in past 3000, but this should help more kits hit that number.)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This month's AGESA updates which they are pushing out to motherboard partners is adding up to 20 memory registers, in order to aid compatibility with XMP to allow kits with higher clocks to be used.

At last check, as the Infinity Fabric interconnect between cores appears to improve significantly with increased memory bandwidth, the higher frequencies of DDR4 are desirable. (Diminishing returns kicks in past 3000, but this should help more kits hit that number.)

Ah, I was hoping it was some official list of supported SKUs I hadn't heard of before because that'd make shopping easier.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, although more kits should surely be making their way onto motherboard vendor's QVLs in the near future.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Deuce posted:

Actual power draw will be 200W because hahahah TDP

What even is TDP, maaaan? You can't measure power! :okpos:
- - AMD engineers

PerrineClostermann posted:

160/12 = 13.3w per core
155/16 = 9.68w per core

Pretty decent difference in TDP, anyway.

Except that actual measured TDPs under, say, Cinebench 15 multi-threaded have been like 1/3 higher than the official TDP figures. All in all it's pretty much comparable with Broadwell-E - and that's a good result for a first try, yay, AMD numbah 1 Intel numbah 4, hype train choo choo - but it's nowhere near what AMD is advertising it as. AMD is lowballing it, and Intel is leaving some headroom for a moderate amount of AVX. A 6900K/6950X and a 1800X are all ~130W processors at stock clocks.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X-Review-Now-and-Zen/Power-Consumption-and-Conclusions

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review/6

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8072/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-review-intel-battle-ready/index12.html

http://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-benchmarks-and-review?page=10

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 15, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Today as part of their Financial Analyst Day 2017 AMD has shown off Naples chips, which will be marketed as EPYC.

http://wccftech.com/amd-unveils-epyc-cpus-32-cores-64-threads-datacenter/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Niples platform can't come out soon enough.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Since Poe's Law clearly states that without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views, I must therefore assume the worst:

AMD are systematically using quantum tunnelling to siphon off a small percentage of performance from every chip they have created and will create to power their time machine, wherein they have gone back and hired my pimply-faced fifteen-year-old self, or some other individual in that massive sea of teenaged gamers during the 90s and 00s that thought things named "EPYC" and "RYZEN" *were* cool because of the name, instead of the actual underlying silicon.

Or it could just be that those people grew up but never stopped thinking that poo poo was cool and oh my god please STOP.

I swear, if the next product has leet speak for a name, I am done, we're going to In-Vidia and never looking back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Epyc win ryzing from that!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AMD family names are my guilty pleasure :shepspends:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Should have trademarked Threadrypper instead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That's one big fuckin' package. Quick, someone get one into der8auer's hands so he can delid one of those fuckers, see how big the actual die is.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 16, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My condolences to the Asrock engineer who gets tasked with designing a mini-ITX board around this socket.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

My condolences to the Asrock engineer who gets tasked with designing a mini-ITX board around this socket.

Condolences? Fifteen years of Asrock boards, and you still haven't realized that Asrock engineers are all a little touched in the head, and they LIVE for this kind of poo poo?

Zen 2 and Zen 3 are in development, and it will be on 7nm.

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/43676-amd-just-announced-zen-2

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 16, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's one big fuckin' package. Quick, someone get one into der8auer's hands so he can delid one of those fuckers, see how big the actual die is.

Zen 2 and Zen 3 are in development, and it will be on 7nm.

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/43676-amd-just-announced-zen-2

Socket 4094 for quad channel, yet Intel somehow manages the same with half the pins. I assume it's just cheaper for them to reuse the server socket which has 4*4 cores, octo channel and a boatload of PCIe lanes.
It's either that or they need 2000 additional pins to deliver enough current for their creative TDP ratings. :banjo:

e: nevermind, I just realised EPYC is the server chip

eames fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 16, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:chanpop:

Hugethreads.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

e: nevermind, I just realised EPYC is the server chip

It wasn't confirmed today, but the lead-up rumours did state that EPYC and ThreadRipper use the same socket:

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/8353-naples-and-threadripper-will-share-the-almost-same-socket