Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What I wouldn't give for a modern-era political simulator where you play as a political party, and the central mechanic involved "Political tension" that you could exploit during elections and negotiations and passing laws and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

DrSunshine posted:

What I wouldn't give for a modern-era political simulator where you play as a political party, and the central mechanic involved "Political tension" that you could exploit during elections and negotiations and passing laws and so forth.

Doesn't sound like it would sell very well

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Doesn't sound like it would sell very well

I highly doubt he was envisioning it as a AAA game that needs 5 million sales to break even.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Sounds a bit like the Democracy series, though there's no geo-political aspect to that. All domestic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

The KR panel was great, half the "history of KR" presentation was about modder drama and every fight for control since 2006. They barely talked about any development milestones except for when they moved to a new game.
go on

Drama is manna to me

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Sounds a bit like the Democracy series, though there's no geo-political aspect to that. All domestic.

Aside from the core flaw of being a glorified puzzle game, Democracy doesn't really fit the bill. You play as the leader of the country, not a political party, there's no intra-party politics and there's no gameplay in opposition. Since losing an election means game over, the goal of the game is to achieve such hegemony that you functionally transform the country into a one-party state.

Which is ironic for a game called Democracy.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

. Since losing an election means game over, the goal of the game is to achieve such hegemony that you functionally transform the country into a one-party state.

*looks at recent events* yes how unrealistic

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Democracy 3 taught me that it's insanely easy to get re-elected indefinitely, raise GDP, keep every single demographic happy, and lower crime rates, inequality and health problems year after year.
I guess real politicians are just too lazy?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Guildencrantz posted:

Aside from the core flaw of being a glorified puzzle game, Democracy doesn't really fit the bill. You play as the leader of the country, not a political party, there's no intra-party politics and there's no gameplay in opposition. Since losing an election means game over, the goal of the game is to achieve such hegemony that you functionally transform the country into a one-party state.

That would be my ideal game -- essentially, a combination of Victoria II, Democracy, and CK2. You have pops that vote (and sometimes revolt), you play as a party led by leaders with unique traits and characters, and the goal is generally "domestic politics" functioning within a geopolitical simulation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrSunshine posted:

That would be my ideal game -- essentially, a combination of Victoria II, Democracy, and CK2. You have pops that vote (and sometimes revolt), you play as a party led by leaders with unique traits and characters, and the goal is generally "domestic politics" functioning within a geopolitical simulation.

You could always play Power and Revolution

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

GrossMurpel posted:

Democracy 3 taught me that it's insanely easy to get re-elected indefinitely, raise GDP, keep every single demographic happy, and lower crime rates, inequality and health problems year after year.
I guess real politicians are just too lazy?

Real politicians don't see those as their objectives.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait why are we talking about meiou all of a sudden

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Eh it's the general pdx thread so anything goes?

I really wish Paradox would take a swing at a political game,(grand strategy or something else) If not Victoria 3. Playing the democracy games to get my politiks fixx sucks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how about running for office and getting your politics fix directly

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

goon project: form a marxist militia

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stairmaster posted:

goon project: form a marxist militia

I think that's the oldest goon project and the one that has been failing constantly since.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ZearothK posted:

I think that's the oldest goon project and the one that has been failing constantly since.

No the oldest goon project is making new game ips.

Which also fails.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Paradox should buy the rights to Zybourne Clock.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Im wayyy too stoned for that.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Democracy is the weirdest series because it's a game about leading a political party in a representative democracy where losing an election loses you the entire game. The games' numerous other flaws aside, that's... a bit of a limitation, I'd say.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

But how am I supposed to paint the map like that?

(I actually like how difficult it is to hold on to huge areas of land personally in Victoria 2. It's the only Paradox game where "winning the war, losing the peace" is actually a common occurrence)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gradenko_2000 posted:

As someone who is in that world, if you want to get a politics fix without all the work, just play Vampire LARP.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So is At the Gates dead or what?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

It's "coming soon," as every Kickstarter update for years has made clear

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

StashAugustine posted:

New update was posted on kickstarter within the last week. We'll see. Don't know if he's moving to Sweden and working AtG part time or what.

Not optimistic, but crossing my fingers.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its a really weird project. It started out as a Kickstarter for a game and as the years have gone by it increasingly seems as if its more of a hobby for Shafer to play around with and write about.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't donate to Shafers on Kickstarter

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

meiou, more like 没有

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yes

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Update posted a week ago says that they plan for a January release.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

But how am I supposed to paint the map like that?

(I actually like how difficult it is to hold on to huge areas of land personally in Victoria 2. It's the only Paradox game where "winning the war, losing the peace" is actually a common occurrence)

Switch to "Party" view and sponsor regimes with the same Ideology and Ethics as you! :haw:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stairmaster posted:

wait why are we talking about meiou all of a sudden

Version 2.0 was just released - DDRJake has a good overview of features here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdDqnY7S4BE&t=2262s

Jeoh posted:

meiou, more like 没有

boo this man.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Update posted a week ago says that they plan for a January release.

Out of curiosity I looked the game up and the offical website hasn't been updated in close to a year and the 'revised' release date was Q1 2017. Which ended 6 weeks ago.

Even if he did ever get back to it I have no idea how you'd approach the community without them immediately lynching him. I can't really see him or Paradox announcing anything new without at least discussing what happened either, as it is almost guaranteed to come up in an interview.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 15, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Quote is not edit...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Out of curiosity I looked the game up and the offical website hasn't been updated in close to a year and the 'revised' release date was Q1 2017. Which ended 6 weeks ago.

Even if he did ever get back to it I have no idea how you'd approach the community without them immediately lynching him. I can't really see him or Paradox announcing anything new without at least discussing what happened either, as it is almost guaranteed to come up in an interview.

The kickstarter has more up to date information than the main site: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates/posts/1879147

The backers aren't very happy, no.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
My favourite part of the recent updates is where he just casually mentions that he had to vanish for 8 months without warning or explanation but it's okay now and just picks things up where they left off - then in almost the same breath announces he'll be splitting his time between AtG and whatever else he has lined up.

To the Paradox spin doctor who covers this new endeavor, good luck to you. I have a feeling the community is going to be a lot more venomous than usual.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

My favourite part of the recent updates is where he just casually mentions that he had to vanish for 8 months without warning or explanation but it's okay now and just picks things up where they left off - then in almost the same breath announces he'll be splitting his time between AtG and whatever else he has lined up.

To the Paradox spin doctor who covers this new endeavor, good luck to you. I have a feeling the community is going to be a lot more venomous than usual.

I would have been sympathetic and philosophical with anything upto and including full cancellation of the project as long as it was communicated promptly and honestly. But when he vanishes for a like nine months, posts this:

quote:

I'm in the middle of updating the schedule and will let you all know what things look like here within the next few weeks.

Speaking of which, to better keep you guys in the loop we'll be hiring someone to handle the communications side of things so that the rest of the team (especially yours truly) can continue to focus on the nitty-gritty details involved with finishing up the game while still ensuring you guys aren't in the dark along the way. So hopefully no more lengthy periods of radio silence from here on out!

and then utterly vanishes for another eight months.... ugh. Failure is fine with me, but taking $100,000 and then de facto vanishing for ~18 months is real lovely.

I mean, it looked like a cool game, and I hope the Paradox salary gives him the ability to finish AtG, and he makes great games with them and everything is cool, but I'm glad I only backed for $30. :lol:

:smith:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The backers aren't very happy, no.

As a backer, I totally forgot about this and filed with the other 2 or 3 games I backed that I know are never coming out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HBS have it right - one update every 3-4 weeks just to do a page of 'hey guys we're still doing stuff' and maybe dropping a screenshot or two is all the effort anyone needs to keep faith. More in the form of streams etc is appreciated, but there's just that minimum level of effort you need to give to people you've sold a bill of goods to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly completely forgot about At the Gates until Shafer recently resurfaced with that update out of the blue. I'd probably have never thought about it if he never brought it up. It was just another KS that I'd written off as never coming out.