Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think every AA driver except Harvey has tried that RHR front wing, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I watch F1 but don't often watch IndyCar stuff (aside from sorta watching the "500" for the last couple years). I know vaguely what's going on, but are there any decent primers for a casual fan to prepare for this? It always seems like there's a million and one things happening in the lead-up, what are the important things for someone relatively new to watch?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

just spamming the same epic for the lulz memes over and over and over in multiple languages

But enough about gbs

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

But enough about gbs

There's a GBS?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Today through Thursday, there's practice scheduled every day for six hours, noon to 6PM EDT. It's just going to be everyone working on setups, mostly on race-day setups (more downforce, more stable, able to run in traffic). Today will probably be the 'quietest' day overall since a lot of teams are going to be running a lot of installation laps to check the cars out.

Friday they crank the boost up to qualifying spec, so you'll see most practice being run in a trimmed-out qualifying setup, often with cars running solo in short stints.

Saturday there's a final bit of practice, but mostly first round qualifying. Everyone has to make at least one attempt, and you'll see some "bumping" from cars trying to make it into the top 9. With 33 entries, there won't be any bumping worrying about getting into the race.

Sunday everyone gets one last qualifying attempt. Cars in positions 33-10 qualify for those spots, then the top 9 cars qualify for those spots.

After that, the cars are only on track two more times for practice before the race. Monday immediately after qualifying, and then the Friday before the race, aka Carb Day.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Today through Thursday, there's practice scheduled every day for six hours, noon to 6PM EDT. It's just going to be everyone working on setups, mostly on race-day setups (more downforce, more stable, able to run in traffic). Today will probably be the 'quietest' day overall since a lot of teams are going to be running a lot of installation laps to check the cars out.

Friday they crank the boost up to qualifying spec, so you'll see most practice being run in a trimmed-out qualifying setup, often with cars running solo in short stints.

Saturday there's a final bit of practice, but mostly first round qualifying. Everyone has to make at least one attempt, and you'll see some "bumping" from cars trying to make it into the top 9. With 33 entries, there won't be any bumping worrying about getting into the race.

Sunday everyone gets one last qualifying attempt. Cars in positions 33-10 qualify for those spots, then the top 9 cars qualify for those spots.

After that, the cars are only on track two more times for practice before the race. Monday immediately after qualifying, and then the Friday before the race, aka Carb Day.

Cool, thanks for the rundown. :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As an aside, because there is so much practice time for this race, you'll see all sorts of "weird' things that you will rarely see outside of Indy, especially from big teams. A driver will go out with parts still wrapped in one of their teammates' colors, to do some quick A/B testing on changes that are more than just a turn of wing. You'll also see drivers full on swapping cars, usually a veteran running a rookie teammate's car to make sure the feedback is valid.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
First incident of the year comes as Jack Harvey hits the SAFER barrier exiting Turn 2

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

So no discord then?

There's a SASCAR discord. Discord servers aren't hard to make.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

NASCAR has problems but should definitely not die.

Maybe Brian France?

Edit: God dammit your edit makes my post make no sense. Whatever! :argh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Norns posted:

NASCAR has problems but should definitely not die.

Maybe Brian France?

Edit: God dammit your edit makes my post make no sense. Whatever! :argh:

I changed the rules halfway through my post. [FRANCE'D]

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/864211064556142593

Dunno if he had a tire going down or broke something, seemed to be crawling into Turn 2 before he hit the wall.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/McLarenIndy/status/864207772149321730
:shlick:

(also Nando on track now)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've just been doing quali laps at indy in iRacing and watching this all day.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Kinda funny after all the "ALONSO P1 AFTER FIRST PRACTICE!!! IT'S SO EASY!" posts F1 fans made on social media, he's scrubbing around in 20th, 3+mph off the pace.

Graebob
Apr 16, 2005

DO A BARREL ROLL

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is super useful for Indy noobs, thank you. Just one question - what do you mean by "bumping"?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dsriggs posted:

Kinda funny after all the "ALONSO P1 AFTER FIRST PRACTICE!!! IT'S SO EASY!" posts F1 fans made on social media, he's scrubbing around in 20th, 3+mph off the pace.

It would be kinda hosed up if he was just crushing it right away.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Graebob posted:

This is super useful for Indy noobs, thank you. Just one question - what do you mean by "bumping"?

I might not be completely right, but back when there were more than 33 cars qualifying, teams would wait until near the end of the session, and if they were close to the bottom or were out, they would make an attempt to sure up their position or "bump" out the driver in 33rd spot. Now it's for the top 9, who get a guaranteed spot, but the idea is the same.

Edit: Nice lap from Alonso

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Saavedra's got a real good looking paint job.

https://twitter.com/sebsaavedra/status/864210559692144641

Nothing else new that's really outstanding looking this year (although I haven't seen Alonso's yet in person). Sato's looks really sad with little tiny "Panasonic"s and big empty sections of solid blue on the sidepods.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Race Control site borked :jebstare:

I blame Nando.

bennyfactor posted:

Nothing else new that's really outstanding looking this year (although I haven't seen Alonso's yet in person). Sato's looks really sad with little tiny "Panasonic"s and big empty sections of solid blue on the sidepods.

Ok that's hot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Graebob posted:

:corsair: History lesson:

Back in the day, you'd have way more than 33 cars and drivers show up to try and make the race. Qualifying occurred on two separate weekends - one day that set the pole winner and the first X cars in the field depending on the rules for any given year, then other days for the remaining grid spots. Once you get to 33 cars qualified, anyone who is not currently in that top 33 but makes a faster pass than one of the qualified cars, "bumps" the slowest non-locked-in car out of the race.

This meant you had big qualifying drama on at least two days. The fastest run on Pole Day would get the pole position, even if faster runs were run on later days (see: 1996, and probably other years as well). A car could requalify by withdrawing its time, so sometimes you'd see a qualified driver pull out to see if they could find more speed in another run (or in a backup car). This would happen right up until the end of qualifying at 6PM EDT, signified by a starter's pistol ('the gun' as you'll hear it referred to by announcers).

Then, the last day of qualifying is Bump Day. This time it's mostly drama from cars trying to get into the field. Sometimes it was lower-tier teams who didn't even bother trying on Pole Day in an effort to spend more time practicing, sometimes it's big teams who just completely missed the mark (Rahal 1994, Penske 1995) and went to extreme measures. Either way you end up with the same rush-to-get-in with drivers taking attempt after attempt, sometimes waving off early if it's not going to be fast enough, in hopes of pulling in, making a change, and going right back out again.

These days, since Chevy and Honda are pretty heavily tapped out supplying 33 fresh engines between them, there is zero drama to get into the field. If/when ICS gets a third manufacturer, we could maybe see entry counts in the 34-35 car range so there would be at least some competition for 33rd. I don't see any way we get 40+ entries again. The cost of just getting to qualifying is too high to do without some serious sponsor money, and not many sponsors are going to be willing to put their name and money behind a car that might not make it in the field.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

bennyfactor posted:

This is a good retro year with the McLaren Orange, Miller Gold, and 7/11 look.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FartingBedpost posted:

This is a good retro year with the McLaren Orange, Miller Gold, and 7/11 look.

Does Menard's count as retro?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The ghost of Scott Brayton says so.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does Menard's count as retro?

Probably. Does Dixon have the lightning bolt Target car? I haven't seen him run yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FartingBedpost posted:

Probably. Does Dixon have the lightning bolt Target car? I haven't seen him run yet.

Target dropped their sponsorship of Chip Ganassi Racing after last year. :smith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The white stripe they added to Rahal's car is very Target-esque

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

IOwnCalculus posted:

Target dropped their sponsorship of Chip Ganassi Racing after last year. :smith:

Yeah, I thought so. :smith: I was just kinda hoping they would run a one-off or something.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

that little clip of pagenaud trying to pinch montoya, so juan reaches over and shuts his golfcart off, thats why i watch this all day

also racecars at indy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

looks like weve got our first engine failure of the month out of the way. Rahal with a big puff of smoke out of the right side

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Marco with the first 225 of the session.

Isn't this like, the fourth straight time he's had a killer practice session?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Race control is dead :rip:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FartingBedpost posted:

Marco with the first 225 of the session.

Isn't this like, the fourth straight time he's had a killer practice session?

Yep, and usually on the first session of the day. He seems to roll off quick but makes no progress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like Jack Harvey had a steering failure on his way out of the pits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5TdzHsuNU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Practice session results:
http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Documents/3732/2017-05-15/indycar-results-p1.pdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TK's 223.936 was #1 on the no-tows btw.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I know we're all past the GP last weekend, but I wrote up some statistical analysis of this past race. Check it out

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey Shibby, question for ya, do you happen to know when indy is releasing the render for the road course aero kit?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Hey Shibby, question for ya, do you happen to know when indy is releasing the render for the road course aero kit?

I haven't heard any rumblings about it. I know they typically design the superspeedway package first since it's far simpler than the road course one. I'll do some digging when I'm down at IMS next weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, thanks!

• Locked thread