Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Sad to say, but despite the apparent intelligence levels of the people who make some of this poo poo, I have never been able to wrap my head around building environments in one of these games. I just can't seem to figure out how to get those loving editors to work to create even a simple cave and attach it to a door somewhere in the world, a door that I also place somewhere in that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChieGuevara/status/863956714856382464/photo/1

That whole thread is good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I especially enjoy the part about the polygon count, as expressed in about of power armors it's equal to.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I never knew that Samus had fallen on such hard times. :smith:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Coolguye posted:

i would actually be willing to give this at least a partial pass in many contexts, because gently caress knows there are folks who bust their asses all day to do what they need to do for themselves and their loved ones, but still come home thinking about things to be something more than what they are. if someone's working at a hard job for 10 hours a day, i can definitely understand 2 hours of video games as simple mental maintenance so they don't eventually crack under the strain.

as one of these people, yeah

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

But those bullets are closer to the end of the barrel, they'd come out faster right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I highly suggest looking at the entirety of that mod. It's full of unnecessarily revealing armors and casual racism!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kikas posted:

I especially enjoy the part about the polygon count, as expressed in about of power armors it's equal to.

lol that was my post

Babe Magnet posted:

final unzipped sized is 538 mb lmao almost half a gig for a single loving weapon

I think I was making a suit of power armor at the time so that's why I kept comparing things to it

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 16, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
lmao at baby modellers who think more polygons = more good. Half a loving gigabyte for a single goddamn loving gun. In a gunfight your entire graphics card is going to be hogged up by the guns alone if these dipshits were making the art assets.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It wouldn't be so bad if a lot of them would stop being such weenies about it. I can get where the line of thinking comes from, since if you don't have to make stuff for rendering or for games (so, if you're a hobbyist artist who only makes display pieces) you don't ever really think about optimization, but people get super defensive about it. I think it was the STG44 or whatever I got banned from a while ago for bringing up that the gun was way too dense (it was like 40-50k polies I think at a minimum?) and that if he planned on letting enemies access the weapon he should think about lower the density a bit and he hit me back with a "Modern games use this many polygons, this is the new standard" before banning me.

Like, I got rips of Blops 3 and Hardline guns and they only time they approach 15k+ is static display models used during menus and loading screens but okay

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh also be sure to check the credits on those super dense guns, because one thing I noticed during the brief period I gave a poo poo was that most of the time the guys creating the mod are not the same people who actually made the models lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Slime posted:

lmao at baby modellers who think more polygons = more good. Half a loving gigabyte for a single goddamn loving gun. In a gunfight your entire graphics card is going to be hogged up by the guns alone if these dipshits were making the art assets.

IIRC the 2k version RU-556 gun for Fallout 4 unzips to be about 400mb because it has like 50 attachments that each have their own 2k textures. The 4k version is probably around 1 gig. I was going to try to downscale the textures (why does a magazine need to be 2k?), but they've done something to prevent the textures from being opened by any image editor. It owns.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if it's a .dds, which is what most of them are since that's the filetype the engine reads, you need a special plugin to be able to edit it in anything, especially photoshop

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So basically this is the video game gun equivalent of buying a cheap katana from an anime store on ebay and thinking it makes you a samurai?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

KataraniSword posted:

So basically this is the video game gun equivalent of buying a cheap katana from an anime store on ebay and thinking it makes you a samurai?

That's actually a fantastic analogy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Babe Magnet posted:

if it's a .dds, which is what most of them are since that's the filetype the engine reads, you need a special plugin to be able to edit it in anything, especially photoshop

I know. I've tried using photoshop with the nvidia .dds tools, compressnoator and infranview. None of them can read the textures.

Also, as a comparison, this one gun's 2k filesize is larger than most of the vanilla game's 4k weapons.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I know. I've tried using photoshop with the nvidia .dds tools, compressnoator and infranview. None of them can read the textures.

Also, as a comparison, this one gun's 2k filesize is larger than most of the vanilla game's 4k weapons.

Have you checked if the game actually opens them? Could be that they just uploaded garbage files.

And here I was getting nervous when my latest guns poly count went past 3k.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Checking them out, the only thing I've found that can open them in loving visual studio.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rectus posted:

Have you checked if the game actually opens them? Could be that they just uploaded garbage files.

And here I was getting nervous when my latest guns poly count went past 3k.

Yeah, the game can load them fine. :iiam:

delta534 posted:

Checking them out, the only thing I've found that can open them in loving visual studio.

That owns.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao what the gently caress

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I vaguely remember something like this from years back. It was something like a hex editor tweak to the file, a couple bytes of garbage or elided footer that the game ignores, but makes editing software poo poo its pants.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao what the gently caress

It's that the textures were saved in a newer/more obscure pixel format that most views/editors don't recognize yet.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I downloaded it, and the Nvidia Photoshop plugin doesn't to seem to have any issues opening the images. SageThumbs even generates thumbnails for them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

turn off the TV posted:

I might know your problem, maybe? Nvidia tools haven't been updated since 2013. Use Intel's DDS plugin. There's something about the format of normal maps in particular that's different in Fallout 4 and Intel's can handle it where you have to do extra steps in Nvidia's.

I've had stuff done in Intel's not load right in Nvidia's for whatever reason.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I use GIMP to edit .dss files if that helps.

Also I would kill for someone to tear out that Samus Power Armor and make it a seperate mod... assuming it's not like a ridiculous number of polygons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My favourite one is this;

There's a big difference between "underslung grenade launcher" and "underslung grenade".

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a big difference between "underslung grenade launcher" and "underslung grenade".

Pistol grip, rifle but, revolver cylinder, second revolver cylinder? Shotgun Barrel? Energy Weapon balls instead of a pump action?

Does this person even know what a gun is?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I like the absolutely, completely nonsensical combination of stripper clips just loving everywhere on a gun that's a revolver. There is no way in hell you're going to load a stripper clip quickly into anything that's a revolver. They're for bolt-action rifles or to quickly reload a magazine. Instead they're on the side of the worst possible weapon to use a stripper clip for.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the self-destruct device to prevent the weapon falling into enemy hands.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
In defense of that gun, I think the pistol grip is the standard for that buttstock, and those aren't stripper clips so much as ammunition holders like this, which it's perfectly reasonable to hang off a buttstock. Dangling off the side of the barrel, though, is less reasonable. The rifle's still absurd, but the pistol grip and ammo carriers are perfectly fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But the grenade makes perfect sense, right?

This reminds me of the crazy guns you could craft in Phantom Pain, before they patched it out. Or the Fallout 4 mod that allowed every weapon to take every weapon mod.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Of course, the modder just couldn't think of a way to add a little red button to the model.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The thing that confuses me about the insane Mexican man's mod is that it varies so, so very much in terms of quality. Some of the textures and models look pretty passable, while others are just completely poo poo.

He also, somehow, created his own power armor frames and designed his power armor around them, with working and pretty good looking animations, so I can't imagine that he stole them.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I might know your problem, maybe? Nvidia tools haven't been updated since 2013. Use Intel's DDS plugin. There's something about the format of normal maps in particular that's different in Fallout 4 and Intel's can handle it where you have to do extra steps in Nvidia's.

I've had stuff done in Intel's not load right in Nvidia's for whatever reason.

I have CS3 so I'm stuck with the nvidia tool.

Chaltab posted:

I use GIMP to edit .dss files if that helps.

Also I would kill for someone to tear out that Samus Power Armor and make it a seperate mod... assuming it's not like a ridiculous number of polygons.

He, uh, kind of did this. Still needlessly insane.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24263/

Also the metroid suit makes anime noises.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samus looks so sad to be in this videogame.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

turn off the TV posted:

The thing that confuses me about the insane Mexican man's mod is that it varies so, so very much in terms of quality. Some of the textures and models look pretty passable, while others are just completely poo poo.

He also, somehow, created his own power armor frames and designed his power armor around them, with working and pretty good looking animations, so I can't imagine that he stole them.

I have CS3 so I'm stuck with the nvidia tool.

He, uh, kind of did this. Still needlessly insane.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24263/

Also the metroid suit makes anime noises.

I like how the empty frame, meant to be under inches-thick armor, still has a sculpted boob plate and an open back so I can ogle my character's rear end :cheeky:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This reminds me of the crazy guns you could craft in Phantom Pain, before they patched it out. Or the Fallout 4 mod that allowed every weapon to take every weapon mod.

I only started playing Phantom Pain this year and now the customization system makes a lot more sense! I was wondering why it wouldn't let me make the fun combos.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Someone link some Resonance of Fate guns.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brainamp posted:

Someone link some Resonance of Fate guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't know why, but the sniper scope is the funniest part of that to me.