Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

The writing of these last two episodes doesn't seem as good to me compared to last season. Did they get different writers or something? Am I the only one?

This is part of the network fuckery set of episodes. Won't be normal until 3 into the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is part of the network fuckery set of episodes. Won't be normal until 3 into the next season.

No? The extra episodes will be part of season 3.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just caught up on this week's episode and that was super fun. Maze stole every scene, as per usual for her.

"She'll learn to cut them with words, and then I'll teach her the knives. And then Chloe just looks at her, deadpan.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well, that was... :stare:

Also, Dan you are officially the dumbest human being on the planet.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How come they don't say Satan on the show? Is that a bad word?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dongattack posted:

How come they don't say Satan on the show? Is that a bad word?

Because Lucifer and Satan are two separate beings. :ssh:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Wow, really good episode! I thought the last two after it came back on were kinda weak, but this one was great.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also we need to start a petition to get Timothy Omundson on to the show on a regular basis.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

Also we need to start a petition to get Timothy Omundson on to the show on a regular basis.

Can't agree more with this in regards to any show. All shows needs more Timothy Omundson.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I see they've opted to be sensitive towards the mentally ill.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Echophonic posted:

It's not exactly a surprise.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
What a strange episode. I don't know if it's good or not?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
The whole 'date at Chloe's' thing is delightfully cringe.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh my god, this "date" is amazing.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
"Great, now we can get on with our plan!"

*medallion slides off and clatters on the floor*

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Oh my god, this "date" is amazing.

As is Lucifer's unintentional cock-blocking.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just stunned they made it through an entire episode without one joke about Johnson. Especially given the writing team AND the stars of the show. You'd think that would have been one of the first things to end up in the script.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Good episode, but I'm disappointed it wasn't actually god. I would have loved omundson as an occasional guest star

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It might have been.

They left it a bit open ended in case they want to return to the plot idea. The guy does work in mysterious ways, after all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"My father would never use public transportation. That song is completely unrealistic."

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Maze is amazing, wow.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"You're trying to Parent Trap God and the Divine Goddess?"

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
^^^^New thread title, methinks

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Because Lucifer and Satan are two separate beings. :ssh:

Is that a thing from the comic?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yes, and also lots of people of think they are.

Like you can find a whole warren of crazy rabbit holes if you google "are Lucifer and Satan different beings".

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lucifer is a word that represents "morning star" or "bringer of dawn" referring to the planet venus. It's used only once in the bible in reference to a dead babylonian king. it has nothing to do with satan, and this is something historians all agree with.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

lucifer is a word that represents "morning star" or "bringer of dawn" referring to the planet venus. It's used only once in the bible in reference to a dead babylonian king. it has nothing to do with satan, and this is something historians all agree with.

Right, but uh, in the context of the show, and the comic, Lucifer IS "The Devil" and ALSO a separate character from Satan. So it's not really related to that mix-up.

I'm pretty sure it's more related to how they wanted there to both be a Satan to poses the serpent in Eden, while also having a war in heaven later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snak posted:

Right, but uh, in the context of the show, and the comic, Lucifer IS "The Devil" and ALSO a separate character from Satan. So it's not really related to that mix-up.

I'm pretty sure it's more related to how they wanted there to both be a Satan to poses the serpent in Eden, while also having a war in heaven later.

Isn't all this sourced back to Paradise Lost? Since the role of Satan was cast as Lucifer.

It gets confusing, since Samael and Satan are interchangeable at times in the Talmud. Although Satan appears to be more of a title (accuser), and Samael roughly means "God's Poison/Venom".

The are probably other sources, but the only thing I've seen that actually has Lucifer and Satan as two different people is Steven Brust's brilliant To Reign In Hell, told from the POV of Satan. Other than the Lucifer Comic that is. And Gaiman's Lucifer and Hell seems to be inspired by Brust's novel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tiggum posted:

Nope. It's an actual thing in the Christian mythology that fundamentalists and people that don't study the Bible too closely like to ignore because it's too much :effort: to keep track of who is who.

Satan is basically God's District Prosecuting Attorney, going about looking for reasons why everyone deserves to go to Hell.

Lucifer is one of the beings that rebelled against the order of things and was cast down to Hell.

This is why when you get to the book of Job you are suddenly reading about Satan being allowed to just wander around in Heaven and talk poo poo at God about Job. It's a pretty big biblical clue that they are not the same being (in spite of a bunch of traditions saying they are).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nope. It's an actual thing in the Christian mythology that fundamentalists and people that don't study the Bible too closely like to ignore because it's too much :effort: to keep track of who is who.

Satan is basically God's District Prosecuting Attorney, going about looking for reasons why everyone deserves to go to Hell.

Lucifer is one of the beings that rebelled against the order of things and was cast down to Hell.

This is why when you get to the book of Job you are suddenly reading about Satan being allowed to just wander around in Heaven and talk poo poo at God about Job. It's a pretty big biblical clue that they are not the same being (in spite of a bunch of traditions saying they are).

I don't think any of this is particularly accurate. There's certainly a lot of interpretation involved in reconciling the various bits of the Bible with each other, but that doesn't apply any more to Satan/Lucifer than it does to God or various other characters and events. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think "Lucifer" is even a specific character in the Bible?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I don't think any of this is particularly accurate. There's certainly a lot of interpretation involved in reconciling the various bits of the Bible with each other, but that doesn't apply any more to Satan/Lucifer than it does to God or various other characters and events. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think "Lucifer" is even a specific character in the Bible?

Depends on the translation. Satan was definitely a title used for Samael (whose name is God's Poison/Venom) in the Talmud. It meant Accuser.

The King James version holds that Lucifer and Satan are one and the same. But there's a lot of evidence it was used to describe a Babylonian King who thought he was a god, but wasn't. There is an entire Christian movement that maintains that the KJV of the Bible is the authoritative English version. Most modern incarnations of Christianity don't doctrinally conflate Lucifer with the Devil or Satan. Although many of their congregation may, due to exposure to Paradise Lost (which uses a KJV representation, I believe) and the countless stories based off it.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

quote:

The Hebrew words הֵילֵל בֶּן-שָׁחַר (Helel ben Shaḥar, "day-star, son of the morning") in Isaiah 14:12 are part of a prophetic vision against an oppressive king of Babylon.

quote:

However, the understanding of the morning star in Isaiah 14:12 as a metaphor referring to a king of Babylon continued also to exist among Christians. Theodoret of Cyrus (c. 393 – c. 457) wrote that Isaiah calls the king "morning star", not as being the star, but as having had the illusion of being it. The same understanding is shown in Christian translations of the passage, which in English generally use "morning star" rather than treating the word as a proper name, "Lucifer". So too in other languages, such as French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish. Even the Vulgate text in Latin is printed with lower-case lucifer (morning star), not upper-case Lucifer (proper name).

Calvin said: "The exposition of this passage, which some have given, as if it referred to Satan, has arisen from ignorance: for the context plainly shows these statements must be understood in reference to the king of the Babylonians." Luther also considered it a gross error to refer this verse to the devil

quote:

Adherents of the King James Only movement and others who hold that Isaiah 14:12 does indeed refer to the devil have decried the modern translations.

e: wording and spelling

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 19, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Echophonic posted:

:same:

That's some stock Hollywood Mental Illness right there. Appropriate for where it takes place, I suppose, but kind of insensitive and offensive. I still enjoyed the slow-mo walk-through of the chaos.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Interesting episode. Maybe Amenadiel will finally get his balls powers back.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How are you seeing these a day early?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
It airs on Sunday night in Canada.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Just proof that Canada is better than the US. I mean, if the Trump thing didn't make it obvious this really does.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
In a way I kind of do hope that Dan winds up marrying Charlotte. Then he'd be, like, Dan Almighty.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
And lucifer can have two duchey dad's to be mad at.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So is it just me or has Mom, Amenadiel and Lucifer kind of skipped over exactly how they're going to get to heaven in this grand plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maze brandishing the karambit knives in the shrink's office was fantastic. Leslie-Ann Brandt owns that character.

• Locked thread