Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What word is missing from this sentence to make it make sense to me?

"Coherence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thanks for something bigger than 60x80 and not artifacted to oblivion.

These boxes are just too fuckin tiny. You have to already know what they are just by a tiny version of the box.

Which is terrible for recs.

War of the Roses doesn't even exist any more. It and the viking sequel both got shut down in February, and before that it was basically just a zombie with maybe 2-3 active servers.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

And I think the other two are Thomas Was Alone and Machinarium. I could be wrong on the first one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I like how the USA had something like 1-2% of the world GDP in the year 1000, some 800 years before it started existing.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Zereth posted:

I like how the USA had something like 1-2% of the world GDP in the year 1000, some 800 years before it started existing.

That just proves how GREAT it is! :patriot:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/863401376487010304

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Praseodymi posted:

A fairly minor one from the BBC, but what is the point of a key if it needs a key to explain it?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

These boxes are just too fuckin tiny. You have to already know what they are just by a tiny version of the box.

Which is terrible for recs.

This is Machinarium which is absolutely great, as is everything from Amanita Design.

If this got recommended to your (hell, even if it didn't) you should play them.

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
Continuing the UK GE theme

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Why would you ever make a drill number scale that goes down when the actual diameter goes up?

Space Kablooey has a new favorite as of 14:48 on May 15, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HardDiskD posted:

Why would you ever make a drill number scale that goes down when the actual diameter goes up?

Drill gauge sizes work like that because wire gauge sizes work like that.

Wire gauge sizes work like that because in the beginning, a number 1 wire was a wire that had been drawn once, a number 2 wire had been drawn a second time (making it slightly narrower), and so on.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HardDiskD posted:

Gauge goes down when the actual diameter goes up. 12AWG wire is thicker than 14AWG wire. A 12-gauge shotgun has a wider bore than a 16-gauge shotgun. 6-gauge sheet metal is thicker than 8-gauge sheet metal. In the case of wire, a higher gauge count meant more passes through the drawing dies, yielding a narrower diameter. For shotguns, the gauge meant the number of lead balls of bore diameter that would weigh 1lb. But a larger gauge number meaning a narrower item is entirely standard.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks, I didn't know what gauges actually were.

That brings me to the question: Why are gauges a thing when you could just refer to a thing's thickness directly?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HardDiskD posted:

That brings me to the question: Why are gauges a thing when you could just refer to a thing's thickness directly?

In olden times it was probably easier to use 'passes through wire drawer' or whatever than finding a good pair of calipers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phanatic posted:

Gauge goes down when the actual diameter goes up. 12AWG wire is thicker than 14AWG wire. A 12-gauge shotgun has a wider bore than a 16-gauge shotgun. 6-gauge sheet metal is thicker than 8-gauge sheet metal. In the case of wire, a higher gauge count meant more passes through the drawing dies, yielding a narrower diameter. For shotguns, the gauge meant the number of lead balls of bore diameter that would weigh 1lb. But a larger gauge number meaning a narrower item is entirely standard.

Which makes the typos in news articles referring to a .12 gauge shotgun funny. Can't imagine a guy hauling in a 9 pounder​ artillery piece to hold up a liquor store

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HardDiskD posted:

It's lot easier to remember "14 gauge wire" than "1.628mm diameter" wire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HardDiskD posted:

Same reason not everyone uses metric.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

canyoneer posted:

Which makes the typos in news articles referring to a .12 gauge shotgun funny. Can't imagine a guy hauling in a 9 pounder​ artillery piece to hold up a liquor store

We have places like Florida to ensure poo poo like that does happen occasionally.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Shikantaza posted:

Continuing the UK GE theme

lord help you if you can't understand this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Phanatic posted:

It's lot easier to remember "14 gauge wire" than "1.628mm diameter" wire.

But not any easier than remembering “1.6 mm wire”.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Where were the respondents from?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

I'm guessing it was an internet poll based on the obvious troll answers. Like even if you don't know anything about geography, you probably aren't going to pick an arbitrary spot in the middle of the ocean when asked to point out a specific country.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm guessing it was an internet poll based on the obvious troll answers. Like even if you don't know anything about geography, you probably aren't going to pick an arbitrary spot in the middle of the ocean when asked to point out a specific country.

Oh what faith you have in humans

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Outrail posted:

Three guesses. :fsmug:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...d=tw-share&_r=0

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like some of those answers might be "I have no idea, better pick a random spot." Like that map that asked Americans to find Syria and there were a bunch of dots in Wyoming or wherever.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
What is this sloppy poo poo, where is Landerig?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What does Back to the Future count as?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ahh the rainbow snow cone hypothesis.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
You should feel guilt and shame drinking those last bits of melted ice and sugar syrup

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
the cone of shame

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bullshit y'all know that's the best part. Just like drinking the mostly melted ice cream and bits of cookie dough in a cookie dough blizzard.

NO SHAME!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Sex toys are getting way too complicated.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

poo poo, and I just graduated with a degree in Urban Gangs.