Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Okay then ember up, unplug your router until you reach a boss door, plug it back in, summon a sunbro, get souls, problem solved. That's pretty much the only way you're going to be able to opt out of the PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's interesting the way Souls still feel so singular. I started Nioh recently. It's very good, the combat is fairly fast paced , kinda BB-ish but it really lacks the sense of story that Souls games have. It feels kinda mashed together in the way DS2 does.

I love that Souls-like games are a thing but I think all of Froms games are miles better than the imitators.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nioh's alright but way too repetitive and loot-heavy, I lost interest fairly quickly.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's interesting the way Souls still feel so singular. I started Nioh recently. It's very good, the combat is fairly fast paced , kinda BB-ish but it really lacks the sense of story that Souls games have. It feels kinda mashed together in the way DS2 does.

I love that Souls-like games are a thing but I think all of Froms games are miles better than the imitators.

Yeah, that's because the souls-like is a new (sub)genre. Similarly, open-world action games were all kinda garbage until they had their own identity away from Grand Theft Auto (this was also when they stopped being called GTA-Clones)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cis autodrag posted:

I think my biggest problem with invasions, as a total casual, is that there's no real distinction between people who are human either because they want more health/want to summon vs because they're down for being invaded. I really suck and pvp and don't really find it fun, but I like co-oping, so when I get invaded it means I'm probably going to die really quickly, it wastes everyone's time, and no one had fun (unless you really like beating up helpless opponents). I wish there was just like a ring or something people could wear to get high priority in the invasion queue and then normies would only get invaded when there are no people wearing that ring. There just needs to be a way so that whatever people who are into invasions that are online can all be connected to each other.

DS3 is terrible for invaders because the server will always choose invasion victims who have as many allied phantoms in their world as possible. On top of that you can get two additional reinforcements automatically summoned in the event of an invasion if you equip Way of Blue, so quite a lot of invasions end up being a 6v1 curb stomp against the invader.

You will probably be fine if you're co-opping with a bunch of people. And DS3 PvP balance is absolutely abysmal anyway, so you're not missing much. It comes down to about 20% skill and 80% equipping an OP weapon.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Invasions are meant to be spiteful, terrifying occurrences which only add to how forlorn and merciless the world of Dark Souls is. It's one part of the broader picture, and I think toning it down would make the whole experience lesser for it.

Also, the amount of fun and spontaneity you can get out of invasions in say, Sen's Fortress is something pretty awesome and unique, that you can't really mirror in any other part of Dark Souls (and any other game really).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They're a neat idea in concept but I don't think it goes past neat gimmick. I expect game studios to rip off everything from DS besides random invasions.

I do think there's a place for invading other characters by possessing enemy monsters, but the gear discrepancy is just impossible to design a good experience around.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I play offline, I don't care what that says about me

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Invasions from assholes who have specialized pvp invasion builds with stunlock instakill poo poo are obnoxious boring garbage, tho at least theyre over quickly. Thankfully most invaders i've run into while playing solo are up for a bit of waving and fun regular back and forth duel and i'm usually close enough to a bonfire and loaded with humanities from cooping that a loss costs me 20-30 seconds at most. And they're infrequent enough to be refreshingly exciting instead of a constant irritation.

Not that my sample size is really big enough to be representative of course.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 16, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS2 invasions and Iron Keep duels were fun because it was mostly casuals, the tryhards all self-quarantined to the blood arena. So getting invaded was a fun and exciting twist to the experience, especially if it happened at a really inconvenient moment and you had to think on your feet rapidly to survive.

DS3 invasions tend to have a lot of tryhards because things are so comically stacked against invaders in DS3 that you have to be a tryhard just to survive. So going through the game solo with a Dried Finger constantly active is an utterly miserable experience because invaders are mostly likely just going to smash your poo poo in. Or you'll get double-invaded.

e: "casuals" is a bit too strong a word, your average invader would have a working knowledge of PvP, so for instance if you walk right up to them and R1 you're going to eat a riposte for your trouble, but they're not going to be some twitch.tv streaming loving memelord with a maximally optimized griefing build.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I've never had fun being invaded. It's always poo poo like I'm managing inventory at McDuff or farming something. gently caress off I don't have my equipment right.
Like no wave says they're unfortunately mostly a gimmick. If they were more integrated into the experience I think they could be a lot better but people who want to PvP go to arena or fight clubs.

Sapozhnik posted:

And DS3 PvP balance is absolutely abysmal anyway, so you're not missing much. It comes down to about 20% skill and 80% equipping an OP weapon.

Lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

m8 I am longing for a return to the days when the Chaos Blade and Ice Rapier were the sorts of things that were considered "OP"

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I hate invasions in DS3 because of how fast Estus heal, if I can't burst them in one combo they're gonna be back to full a moment later while I regain my stamina, turning the fight into a boring endurance match. Fight clubs outside of Pontiff's crib are cool because everyone seem to respect the unwritten "no Estus" rule.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I hate invasions in DS3 because of how fast Estus heal, if I can't burst them in one combo they're gonna be back to full a moment later while I regain my stamina, turning the fight into a boring endurance match. Fight clubs outside of Pontiff's crib are cool because everyone seem to respect the unwritten "no Estus" rule.

Hey you can hit them with a lloyd's and then deal with them spamming roll for a full minute instead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Most of the times I've been invader in DS3 the invader has been pretty sporting, either chugging all their Estus before the fight or never doing so even when the opportunity arises. In a way it's kind of cool having this gentleman's agreement not to ruin the match by healing, though I don't know why From had to go bust the perfectly fine invasion balance (twinking and Humanity not withstanding) they had in DS1, none of the games since have ever recaptured that dread/thrill of being hunted down in your own world.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I understand and respect wanting a fun, fast no-Estus duel but that's what the red soapstone is for. If I'm getting invaded, I'm healing if I need to and I expect invaders to do the same. I usually only heal as an invader if I'm outnumbered or the host heals first, though. :shrug:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've beaten the firsttwo bosses. They drop these big souls that can be consumed for the level-up currency. Is it safe to do this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I've beaten the firsttwo bosses. They drop these big souls that can be consumed for the level-up currency. Is it safe to do this?

You can turn them into weapons.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

A certain boss (Curse-Rotted Greatwood) drops an item that you can give to an NPC that allows said NPC to sell you unique items (mostly weapons) in exchange for boss souls. So hold on to them until then and see if they exchange for something you want.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

I understand and respect wanting a fun, fast no-Estus duel but that's what the red soapstone is for. If I'm getting invaded, I'm healing if I need to and I expect invaders to do the same. I usually only heal as an invader if I'm outnumbered or the host heals first, though. :shrug:

One of the areas DS2 shined, disable healing for phantoms and invaders. Made things move faster and also made warmth useful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'd say keep them. Even if you have no intention of using them to make weapons, the amount of souls they provide isn't that huge. You could grind for 5 minutes and get the same amount. Might as well keep them in case you ever decide you want something made from them for whatever reason.

hanales posted:

One of the areas DS2 shined, disable healing for phantoms and invaders. Made things move faster and also made warmth useful.

Warmth would still be useful in DS3 if it didn't heal at a pitiful rate while taking 2 slots and requiring 25 faith. All its really good for is trolling hosts in the Spear fight.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

maev posted:

Invasions are meant to be spiteful, terrifying occurrences which only add to how forlorn and merciless the world of Dark Souls is. It's one part of the broader picture, and I think toning it down would make the whole experience lesser for it.

Also, the amount of fun and spontaneity you can get out of invasions in say, Sen's Fortress is something pretty awesome and unique, that you can't really mirror in any other part of Dark Souls (and any other game really).

I want to agree with this, but the PvP in Dark Souls is such an arcane nonsense math of animation frames and compensating for the full half-second of lag that there's nothing fun about it. The souls series would genuinely have my favorite PvP of all time if it wasn't for the fact that the Venn Diagram of "times I have done damage to an invader" and "times the model of my sword has struck the model of the invader" weren't two completely separate circles on opposite sides of the observable universe.

The only reason anybody enjoys Dark Souls PvP is Stockholm Syndrome.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd say keep them. Even if you have no intention of using them to make weapons, the amount of souls they provide isn't that huge. You could grind for 5 minutes and get the same amount. Might as well keep them in case you ever decide you want something made from them for whatever reason.

Not to mention even now the game is receiving plenty of balance updates. A weapon that was terrible last week might be great the next, so it's worthwhile holding onto your boss souls just in case one of the weapons gets buffed.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Deport The Irish posted:

The only reason anybody enjoys Dark Souls PvP is Stockholm Syndrome.

2 is the best at reducing the stuff you describe, that is why B Team is Better.

Well, that and the fact that in 2 you can do things like make an overly-spinny Keyblade Master straight out of Kingdom Hearts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I invaded a guy and smashed him to pieces with my hammer. Then I invaded a dude who clowned me with a katana. Instant Karma right there. Vordt's hammer is hella telegraphed so it's probably time to respec or use a faster weapon, I was going for a pure STR build but now I'm thinking of going for quality. I snagged a Shotel from some skeletons and I'm gonna beef it up and R1 spam my way to success in the meantime.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tallgeese posted:

2 is the best at reducing the stuff you describe, that is why B Team is Better.

Well, that and the fact that in 2 you can do things like make an overly-spinny Keyblade Master straight out of Kingdom Hearts.

2 has had without a doubt the worst laggy PvP phantom hits and ethereal weapon nonsense I've had to deal with in the series

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Just popping in to say gently caress Dancer phase two. That is all

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I've never had fun being invaded. It's always poo poo like I'm managing inventory at McDuff or farming something. gently caress off I don't have my equipment right.

One of the most tense experiences I've had was being invaded by a Darkmoon Blade on the ledges to the merchant in Sen's. I won by knocking him off before he could do the same to me. :v:

Similarly I was summoned for once a couple weeks ago into someone's game only to be instantly killed by a naked lightning Avelyn user and all I could do was smile knowingly.

Dark Souls is very different without other people. It's much more desolate. That said I think the multiplayer aspects are what makes the series special, not the combat mechanics. Even if BB played identically to DS1 or 2 I'd still care less about it than them because of that.

quote:

2 has had without a doubt the worst laggy PvP phantom hits and ethereal weapon nonsense I've had to deal with in the series

The trade off are the T-Pose Crew in DS3.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 17, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there a way to play specifically with a close friend?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^set a multiplayer password in the menu, and have your friend set the same password. That way your summon signs will only be visible to one another, and you can ignore the normal soul/weapon level restrictions on multiplayer.

RBA Starblade posted:

The trade off are the T-Pose Crew in DS3.

I have never once seen this happen in probably 100 hours of invading

All the Souls games have PvP lag that is initially offputting but easy enough to learn to work around. Frankly I don't notice any difference between DS1, 2, and 3 in this regard. In all of them it is a frequent occurrence to receive damage when the enemy's weapon does not visibly intersect the playermodel. Yeah it's annoying, but that's how poo poo goes. If they knew how to fix it, no doubt they would.

The one area in which the games have definitely improved is the actual experience of connecting to other players. DS2 is massively more reliable than DS1 in that regard and DS3 is somewhat more reliable than DS2.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

skasion posted:

^^^set a multiplayer password in the menu, and have your friend set the same password. That way your summon signs will only be visible to one another, and you can ignore the normal soul/weapon level restrictions on multiplayer.

All the Souls games have PvP lag that is initially offputting but easy enough to learn to work around. Frankly I don't notice any difference between DS1, 2, and 3 in this regard. In all of them it is a frequent occurrence to receive damage when the enemy's weapon does not visibly intersect the playermodel. Yeah it's annoying, but that's how poo poo goes. If they knew how to fix it, no doubt they would.

The one area in which the games have definitely improved is the actual experience of connecting to other players. DS2 is massively more reliable than DS1 in that regard and DS3 is somewhat more reliable than DS2.

I've seen more ice skating in DS3 then I ever did in DS2.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

skasion posted:

lmao this moron

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

DS2's connection issues can seem worse than the others because the hitbox of most weapons (especially Katana) extends at least a full foot beyond the actual model of the weapon. This happens less in 1 and 3 though some are still weird.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 17, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

skasion posted:

Dude it happened all the time back when the game was new a few months back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They're right though, although all the games have weapons with phantom range even outside of lag. It's typical of games to give player hitboxes(but not enemy hitboxes) somewhat extra size compared to the size of the actual weapon/attack so you get less situations where you feel like you hit but whiff(due to perspective, mostly). This isn't very noticeable in singleplayer but of course when another player does it to you it feels worse and you noticed much easier(this is why enemies typically get smaller hitboxes than the actual attack visuals rather than the other way around), and lag certainly makes this worse.

skasion posted:

I have significantly less time invading than that and I have seen people sliding around with no animation at least 5 times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was co-oping in Anor Londo and when an Aldrich Faithful named Unstable DS3 showed up the framerate dropped to 1 and kicked me and the host out of the game. So that's cool I guess.

e: gently caress Aldrich is an annoying fight

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 17, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jay Rust posted:

I guess all of you DS2 apologists are forgetting that they removed the wacky physics from corpses???

God yes. DS2 is easily the worst in the series because smashing through stuff is NO fun whatsoever. I always forget that when discussing it and remember it when I'm playing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also while co-oping in Anor Londo two invaders ended up behind us so we ran up the elevator to the AL bonfire. We spent a few minutes raising and lowering it between us to be assholes to the invaders. When we finally got bored and they got up, one almost immediately fell off a cliff and died after realizing that the statue by the elevator isn't usually there and is in fact a host. The other did pretty well considering his backup fell in Honorable Battle, but still died. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jay Rust posted:

I guess all of you DS2 apologists are forgetting that they removed the wacky physics from corpses???

Instead they just weirdly sink into the ground half-way so when you walk back it looks like you're growing a fresh crop of dudes.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'unno, I've enjoyed the various Souls-likes more than either of the sequels. Maybe it's just that not taking place in the Dark Souls world is actually a selling point to me by now- Fromsoft never found a way to follow up the vague storytelling of the first game that wasn't either masturbation or gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deport The Irish posted:

The souls series would genuinely have my favorite PvP of all time if it wasn't for the fact that the Venn Diagram of "times I have done damage to an invader" and "times the model of my sword has struck the model of the invader" weren't two completely separate circles on opposite sides of the observable universe.

That's basically what I feel too :hfive:

I really like the idea of it, and the Dark Souls mechanics could make for some pretty cool PvP scenarios but the amount of lag (due to geographical location or otherwise) makes it completely unplayable for me. This is also why I think the invasion system is inherently bad; for a lot of us it's essentially an RNG death in a series otherwise prizing itself on fairness. People talk about how it's supposed to be thrilling when someone invades, but to me it's just "oh yay, another teleporting t-pose who lagstabs me from across the area when I'm just trying to progress" every time :sigh:

This is also why I feel it's very selfish when people get mad at the idea that we should be able to opt out of invasions. Messages, bloodstains, co-op, ghosts, every other online feature works fine even with lag but invasions just... don't.