Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know he was a multi-time world champ in WWE, but you have to question the judgment of any promoter, at this point, who looks at Alberto, and thinks "Yes, this man can help me make money". Like say what you will about people who booked guys like Jake Roberts and Scott Hall, but they were both bigger stars who had the potential to draw in casual fans. I doubt that's the case with Del Rio, at least outside of Mexico where his family are pretty prominent.

You can put him on the poster, he won't show up, and then you don't have to pay him. Sounds like a steal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

You can put him on the poster, he won't show up, and then you don't have to pay him. Sounds like a steal to me.

Yeah but nobody is going to a show because he's on the poster, though. I liked Del Rio at first but if my local indy advertised him I wouldn't bother.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oldpainless posted:

Did Alberto draw any money in the US for any promotions?

after he was first released I think he led to a short-term increase in ROH business

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

hard to believe that not too long ago adr was a surprise opponent for cena on a ppv and beat him clean for a title. was that even a year ago?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

hard to believe that not too long ago adr was a surprise opponent for cena on a ppv and beat him clean for a title. was that even a year ago?

And that he was coming in because he was a really loving hot commodity on the indies and in Mexico.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Yeah but nobody is going to a show because he's on the poster, though. I liked Del Rio at first but if my local indy advertised him I wouldn't bother.

Uh hell yes I'm going I might get to see Paige

Who knows how many more months that'll even be possible

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

remusclaw posted:

And that he was coming in because he was a really loving hot commodity on the indies and in Mexico.

He had a lot of sympathy and good will with fans because his 1st departure from WWE was completely bullshit. I think WWE brought him back just for the express purpose of killing off any drawing potential he might have.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Definitely does seem like career sabotage with the really bad Meximerican angle. It really doesn't get much worse than that. Also he really really really hates HHH for some reason. There's got to be more than just HHH trying to wedge himself between ADR and Paige.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I guess you guys have really high class Indies near you if you think ADR wouldn't be a draw.

I have seen places who still book Eugene

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guess you guys have really high class Indies near you if you think ADR wouldn't be a draw.

I have seen places who still book Eugene

Tbf Eugene was more over than Alberto.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My local indie is booking Jack Swagger next month, so that's one Mexamerican down!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Book Eugene vs Del Patron for the Join The Force title

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Book Eugene vs Del Patron for the Join The Force title

Eugene's too busy booking his lil BFE fed, that somehow does 2-3k gates.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm glad Eugene's story got a happy ending.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Eugene's indie promotion is what qualifies as 'big' in the South Dakota/Iowa/Nebraska market.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

EverettLO posted:

Eugene's indie promotion is what qualifies as 'big' in the South Dakota/Iowa/Nebraska market.

Any indy that gets over 500 tickets is a pretty loving big indy. Think of how many promotions are considered bigger but don't regularly get 2,500 customers. Impact, PWG, Evolve all spring to mind.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait is eugene the second best promoter in the country

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

Whichever wrestling promoter makes the most money after WWE is the best promoter, so you'd need to go into profit margins.

And people say there is no money in indy wrestling.....but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who run promotions and/or schools are doing quite well but paying their talent negligible amounts. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a lot of work to be a promoter, the kind of scummy carny poo poo most promoters do would make Del Rio a perfect fit!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

James Ellsworth is since he parlayed into a Smackdown gig.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/adr_fans/status/859506405530681344 Swagger and Del Rio headlining three nights in Mexico

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
So Swagger will win all three matches by forfeit

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nah, it's a winner leaves town match, Alberto wins by default.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

jack swagger is still jack swagger? i thought it was really hard to keep your wwe name, which is why ultimate warrior and ryback legally changed their names to warrior and ryback, respectively.

i still would have changed my name to "dick swagger" if i was him. hell, i still might.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's Mexico. You can be whoever you want, like a Ninja Turtle or a Los Simpsons.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's Mexico. You can be whoever you want, like a Ninja Turtle or a Los Simpsons.

Now I really want a Raphael turtle in costume but in his flasher trench coat and fedora to come out through the crowd and interfere in a match. Only to be topped by a Kevin Nash dressed as Super Shredder. gently caress it just have Vanilla Ice on commentary too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/adr_fans/status/859506405530681344 Swagger and Del Rio headlining three nights in Mexico

Too bad Dutch Mantel is back with TNA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Del Rio did an interview with WrestlingInc

On Ryback claiming promotions won't do well in India because people are poor posted:

*laughs* That really makes me laugh. To be honest, I really like Ryback. He's a guy that...*laughs* I mean, I like the guy, he's a nice person. But I mean - it's ridiculous that someone like him, who hasn't done much in the business...he had some good times. In WWE, he had some good moments, he had a good run, he had a good career. But he hasn't really done anything in this business yet. And I'm putting this in the nicest way because I like the guy. I don't want to disrespect the guy. But his comment is completely stupid.

On how he said the last interview he had there he'd be in the business for maybe 3 more years and is that still true posted:

Yes, definitely. Definitely. I'm not going to be doing this for too long. I'm tired, I'm just tired. I'm going to stop doing so many shows outside of the US. I'm going to come back to India anytime they need me with Impact Wrestling. But I'm not going to do so many shows in Europe. I just cancelled one of the shows in Chile.

On his future posted:

Well, I'm going to retire from pro wrestling soon. And if everything goes well, I will stay at Impact working as an agent, a producer.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is Ryback wrong about India? I thought that's why Ring Ka King ended.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Is Ryback wrong about India? I thought that's why Ring Ka King ended.

I'd think that if his logic were true Mexico's wrestling industry would have died long ago. The peso crashed in '94 but all that meant was that less gringos were booked, the industry survived. I would also think Ring Ka King died because it was being run by TNA.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jarrett was in charge of it, so it never stood a chance

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

I would also think Ring Ka King died because it was being run by TNA.
Yeah, it's this. Ryback is retarded

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ryback markets a supplement that keeps your balls big and meaty

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

I'd think that if his logic were true Mexico's wrestling industry would have died long ago. The peso crashed in '94 but all that meant was that less gringos were booked, the industry survived. I would also think Ring Ka King died because it was being run by TNA.

I don't think Ryback is that wrong with what he meant. India can have a wrestling industry, but WWE is at the awkward level of it's not expensive, but not cheap either. Per Capita income in India is $1,570 a year, and typically wrestling fans fall on the lower level of the economic spectrum. If the WWE network is 10% of your year's wages, it's less palatable.

Chris James 2 posted:

Del Rio did an interview with WrestlingInc

He really thinks going with TNA long term is the best of ideas? Oh wait, it's an interview while at TNA, it means nothing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

There is an Indian middle class with insane amounts of disposable income. Income taht they didn't have even half a generation ago.

But will they spend that money on wrestling is teh question. I would argue no. The IPL already exists as a way to strip money from over-cashed Indians wanting something flashy, fake and almost a sport.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't know what any of that poo poo means but Ryback is probably closer to the truth, Jinder is something different but I don't see the India scene suddenly exploding because of him right now. They're basically relying on a WCW style pop of the ratings when David Arquette became champion where almost everyone just thinks it's kind of silly.

Especially when Jinder's gimmick is teetering on Muhhamad Hassan's and I think they're almost banking on Americans to be too stupid to know the difference between a middle eastern and an Indian because they're both brown and speaking a foreign language which is a problem in itself.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

Especially when Jinder's gimmick is teetering on Muhhamad Hassan's and I think they're almost banking on Americans to be too stupid to know the difference between a middle eastern and an Indian because they're both brown and speaking a foreign language which is a problem in itself.

There's probably a significant portion of the audience that's upset a "filthy muzzie" is champ I'd bet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jinder is so bad on the mic I wish they would muzzle him

Mar 2, 2005

OPTIC BLAST!

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's probably a significant portion of the audience that's upset a "filthy muzzie" is champ I'd bet.

Really? I mean, how many people really can't tell the difference?
I'm yet to see anyone (here or in real life) make this mistake about Jinder.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

061469 posted:

I imagine some people living in the Ozarks think Jinder is a drat dirty Muslim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

061469 posted:

Someone in the goon discord unironically went "Have Sami Zayn come out and say that the fans can't be racist, because they like me!" so it is definitely A Thing.

• Locked thread