Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BloodBag posted:

In 2008 I was test driving a VW jetta TDI DSG and the radio headunit quit working on the drive. I can't say I'm surprised yours took a poo poo.

Exact same thing happened to me on a 2011 golf TDI test drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MarsellusWallace posted:

Might be the ///Type R/// you're thinking of, the Si styling isn't terribly over the top. Finally got my finances in order enough to afford a new car while maintaining proper savings cushion, drove a civic hatchback with the stickshift, really liked it (literally everything but the high-ish cabin noise) found out there's literally no way to get a stick with Android Auto and a hatchback :saddowns: guess I'll wait until next year? Maybe the Elantra GT will be pretty good? What the hell Honda, take my goddamn money

The rear center mount exhaust is bad as is the odd large black plastic shapes in the lower part of the rear diffuser.

What I really want is a Type R with more subdued styling.

Powershift posted:

Instead of wanting the civic to be a golf, why not just buy a golf?

I don't like the way it drives, I hate German interior controls, and I have a soft spot for Honda, and I'd like to own it after Month 36?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Pryor on Fire posted:

Exact same thing happened to me on a 2011 golf TDI test drive.

How is it a decade into the 21st century and there still are manufacturers that can't get such basics down flawlessly?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

smooth jazz posted:

Just traded my Focus ST for a 2018 S4.

Really liked the ST. It was a rattletrap but what a joy to drive. It did what it said on the tin and never left me stranded.

As soon as i got my S4 home from the dealer, the 360 degree camera system failed. Blank screen. Less than 60 miles on the odo.
Welp I guess I'm going to experience German Reliability Myth firsthand...

Congrats on your new car, Audi friend. Can you share a pic or two of your brand new S4? Sorry about your camera. That may take a hit on INITIAL QUALITY but I bet after the first components fail it'll be pretty reliable for a long while. What a dumb thing to miss in QA for an expensive vehicle though.

I recently picked up a '13 A4. It's basic luxury, serves my needs, makes me happy. I live in a city so if I had a car like an S4 (or even a FiST really) I would get to hit its limits so infrequently it would never feel worth it. However they are undeniably beautiful machines.

Do those sons of bitches come with premium audio standard?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 16, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

travisray2004 posted:

How is it a decade into the 21st century and there still are manufacturers that can't get such basics down flawlessly?
Electronic items normally fail in a U-curve: either right away or only after several years. That's one of the reasons why modest extended warranties for stuff like TVs/Blu-Ray players are a cash cow for electronics retailers.

If we're sharing random VW anecdotes, the only off-warranty issue my 2008 GTI (bought with CPO warranty in 2012) has had is the high-pressure fuel pump going bad (apparently a very common VW issue). I had some trade-in appraisals done out of curiosity since I've been looking around at cars I can actually fit in and the amounts are so drat low I'll probably hold on to it until it starts falling apart for real.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The rear center mount exhaust is bad as is the odd large black plastic shapes in the lower part of the rear diffuser.

What I really want is a Type R with more subdued styling.

For me it barely works on the crazy Type-R, but the rear bumper is very similar on the normal Civic hatch and it's very close to a deal breaker. I don't know why the Civic hatch is so ugly - like, as ugly as the current-gen Prius ugly - when the sedan and coupe are fine. A total shame too because it would be around the top of my new car list too if it weren't so drat ugly.

E: I'd really like to see GM's performance division tackle a Cruze SS. I don't know how well it could work given that the current Cruze is tuned heavily towards comfort, but those people made magic with the last-gen Camaro so they could make it happen.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 16, 2017

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Godzilla07 posted:

E: I'd really like to see GM's performance division tackle a Cruze SS. I don't know how well it could work given that the current Cruze is tuned heavily towards comfort, but those people made magic with the last-gen Camaro so they could make it happen.

I got out of the sport compact scene right around the Cobalt SS came out, supposedly they weren't terrible. I don't think there's much of a market for a Cruze SS though, and I doubt they'd invest in something like that right now with the automakers starting to pull back on stuff

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I think Sport Crossover is where it needs to go. Honestly. Is it even possible with the high ground clearance and CoG? People don't want small cars anymore.

People buy cars to last them a million years these days, small cars are only good in a relatively narrow set of circumstances in life stages and don't scale well with family changes etc.

I do know that the Q5 is Audi's best seller in the U.S.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BloodBag posted:

Don't feel so bad, that v6 it has sounds like a dog farting through a walkie-talkie.

See i dont mind that much
In fact im more impressed by cars that do their thing and go fast without the RAAAR BRAAAR AAAARRRRR

(Though sound flaps would be nice)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

skipdogg posted:

I got out of the sport compact scene right around the Cobalt SS came out, supposedly they weren't terrible. I don't think there's much of a market for a Cruze SS though, and I doubt they'd invest in something like that right now with the automakers starting to pull back on stuff

The Cobalt SS Supercharged was a real performer but was just a bit too early to be truly New GM quality of product. Went fast, handled well, bad interior, got the rattles early, etc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Cobalt SS Supercharged was a real performer but was just a bit too early to be truly New GM quality of product. Went fast, handled well, bad interior, got the rattles early, etc.

Exactly: The Cobalt SS was a notably good performer, but it was also a Cobalt.

I had a fever dream once that Chevrolet built an AWD, turbo-Ecotech Cruze competitor to the Focus RS. They certainly have the technical ability, they simply lack the marketing to sell it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
TBH with how much it would probably cost I'd just go for a Camaro or something. I also don't really get the Focus RS but it's cool that it exists. At the same time I'd rather have a Mustang.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

TBH with how much it would probably cost I'd just go for a Camaro or something. I also don't really get the Focus RS but it's cool that it exists. At the same time I'd rather have a Mustang.

Mustangs are for going straight, RS's are for going sideways.

I know that's not entirely true now and Mustangs can hold their own on the track, but you really have to drive an RS to "get" it. It handles like Mario Kart.

I've also fit the following things in mine: 6 ft long bench, Computer chair, Large dog, Bicycle, Luggage for 4 (inc. people), my ex. None of those things fit in a Mustang.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 16, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BloodBag posted:

In 2008 I was test driving a VW jetta TDI DSG and the radio headunit quit working on the drive. I can't say I'm surprised yours took a poo poo.

At least it wasn't the transmission that shat itself as happened to me on a rental Golf (a brand new one)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KillHour posted:

I know that's not entirely true now and Mustangs can hold their own on the track, but you really have to drive an RS to "get" it. It handles like Mario Kart.

So you have to drift to go anywhere?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So you have to drift to go anywhere?

You don't have to, but what's the point if you don't?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Speaking of Elantras, is the new Elantra Sport worth getting? I'm shopping a Civic Touring 1.5T against it.

It is a great vehicle in manual. If buying a DCT read up on the issues and drive one before considering though. The savageese youtube review of it is very favorable.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Congrats on your new car, Audi friend. Can you share a pic or two of your brand new S4?

So the camera's working fine today :shrug:

I was hoping for silver or white to calm my detailing OCD, but I suppose Audis are supposed to be panzer grey.

You're absolutely right. After Fords for 20 years, the panel gaps, fit and finish on this thing is amazing. TBH the selling point for me was the continuity of the hood line all around the body.

I'm in Canada so the packages are different but yea, the B&O stereo is extra.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 17, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KillHour posted:

You don't have to, but what's the point if you don't?

Who uses drift mode on public roads?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Who uses drift mode on public roads?

This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOelONV_unQ&t=38s

Honestly, though, the RS will grip in the corners so hard you have to be doing something extremely idiotic to break the tires loose.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
New RS owner here, can confirm it handles like a go-kart. Had my first :drat: moment driving it yesterday. The thing just loving sticks like flies on poo poo when it corners, so I've been progressively getting on it earlier and earlier in corners to try to test the limits. I was driving in sport mode out in a newer part of the city where there are nicely paved new roads, but no development on them yet. I made a wide left handed sweeper onto a road in second gear at about 30 mph, and I put my foot down early, before the apex, so that it was well into boost by the apex. As I'm hitting the apex the rear end breaks loose and I perform the most satisfying controlled drift around a corner at 45+ mph I've ever done. I felt like a loving god. I wasn't even in drift mode, it was just so perfectly controllable and smooth. I loving love that car.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

We should be seeing that torque vectoring AWD system in more cars now (gkn twinster) since its really half of what makes the RS so good. From what the company says theyre looking into RWD applications.

A shame its already more or less capped out, by their admission, at 350/350 hp/tq.

E:VVV Woops, meant the AWD system.
Theyve said that its at its limits in the stock RS, and im likely to believe them, like you said as is you can still get more.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 17, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's pretty much at its limits at higher RPMs without a bigger turbo, but tuners are getting 80-100 extra lb-ft at lower RPMs with bolt ons.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We should be seeing that torque vectoring AWD system in more cars now (gkn twinster) since its really half of what makes the RS so good. From what the company says theyre looking into RWD applications.

A shame its already more or less capped out, by their admission, at 350/350 hp/tq.

E:VVV Woops, meant the AWD system.
Theyve said that its at its limits in the stock RS, and im likely to believe them, like you said as is you can still get more.

GM's AWD system in the upcoming Regal is touted to be a cousin of the RS's; it'll be interesting to see how it actually performs in the real world.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think it's already available in the current Regal and LaCrosse.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What keeps Ford from bolting in bigger turbos? I assume as always it's concerns about long-term reliability, is that with the engine, trans, etc?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Reliability, more power, more heat, more stress on a lot of expensive parts.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also the big one
Emissions and mileage.

This has me thinking: whats the biggest turno fitted in a production car?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 17, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also the big one
Emissions and mileage.

This has me thinking: whats the biggest turno fitted in a production car?

If you include diesel 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, I'd wager it'd be something hanging on a Cummins or Powerstroke.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Michael Scott posted:

What keeps Ford from bolting in bigger turbos? I assume as always it's concerns about long-term reliability, is that with the engine, trans, etc?

I've always understood that Ford sizes their turbos like they do to maximize low end power/torque (where most people need it) and eliminate turbo lag. You can design long term reliability into engines with larger turbos, they just don't drive the same. Joe Driver is going to think something is wrong with the car if they stop on their new turbo performance vehicle at 1800RPM's and power doesn't kick in until 3K RPM or more.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Bigger turbos take longer to spool up and produce more back pressure, which can adversely affect driveability if the engine itself is too small. More boost also puts more stress on internal engine components, which means either redesigning them or more expensive materials/manufacturing, or more wear and warranty issues.

It's a balancing act. Manufacturers will generally go conservative on boost to limit their costs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 3.5 is neat as poo poo, just a cute little woosh and it's up to full boost.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hypothetically speaking: Since so many manufacturers are piping in... "enhanced"... exhaust sounds, could a hacker, if so-inclined, hack the audio settings to, say, make the car fart profusely when you step on the gas? :allears:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Hypothetically speaking: Since so many manufacturers are piping in... "enhanced"... exhaust sounds, could a hacker, if so-inclined, hack the audio settings to, say, make the car fart profusely when you step on the gas? :allears:

The one on the ST was basically just a physical tube with tuned acoustic properties or something. Stick a speaker in the tube. Mission accomplished. If its piped in through the stereo, then the sound files need to exist somewhere and somehow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new ford superduty's look kinda tall and awkward as pickups, but when they're rigged up as a dump truck they look like legit itty bitty trucks

There's a coal mine in BC that uses trucks up completely in a year/60,000kms, like completely torn to poo poo. it'll be interesting to see what the aluminum trucks coming out of there look like.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That new Eclipse eh?

:cripes:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

That looks like any car that has been produced by many other companies for many years. Way to go, Mitsubishi.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

New Vision

To build a small SUV that is so similar to the forty three other offerings currently on the market that you could swap the emblems on the nose and steering wheel, and ninety five percent of people wouldn't notice.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrYenko posted:

New Vision

To build a small SUV that is so similar to the forty three other offerings currently on the market that you could swap the emblems on the nose and steering wheel, and ninety five percent of people wouldn't notice.

That is actually substantial progress for Mitsubishi. They might actually sell a few if people think they're something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Mitsubishi has really cool car names it's a shame they are all wasted