Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Tubby Smith cannot stop loving up lol

What happened now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I mean honestly whoever stopped him should be ashamed of themselves

quote:

On February 13, 1994, controversy ensued when he threatened to kill then-University of Massachusetts Amherst coach John Calipari at a post-game news conference, where Calipari was speaking at a podium.

Chaney entered the conference mid-speech, accusing Calipari of manipulating the referees. When Calipari attempted to respond to the accusations, Chaney yelled, “Shut up goddammit!”, and proceeded to charge the stage, before being stopped by security. While being held back, Chaney shouted, "When I see you, I'm gonna kick your rear end!". As security restrained Chaney, he repeatedly yelled, "I'll kill you!" and angrily admitted telling his players to "knock your loving kids in the mouth."

He got one game for this

I miss John Chaney

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
5 star recruit Kevin Knox is supposedly declaring sometime later this week. Apparently he is leaning towards Duke or North Carolina, but also could still go to Kentucky, Florida State or Missouri. He seems to be doing the smart thing and waiting to see how the early entries are faring. Grayson Allen coming back to Duke and Joel Berry coming back to Carolina are probably big factors. I'm sure a lot of guys wished they waited longer. Tony Bradley probably wouldn't have signed with Carolina if he knew Kennedy Meeks and Isiah Hicks would stay for their senior years and occupy all the minutes at PF.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think Mizzou is probably out of the running for him at this point, but it was nice to seriously think about for a little.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Knox to Kentucky.. I wish him well there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cholmondeley posted:

Huh, I kinda stopped paying attention when Mizzou was out of things but I thought they were maybe even fourth behind Missouri according to most guessing sites at the time.

Better than Duke.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I don't think many Kentucky fans expected that. Gonna be loaded up front with or without Bamba. Not as deep at guard though, especially if Diallo stays in the draft. Getting that transfer from Pitt would help there, plus it would be someone who has actually played college basketball before. Right now UK has only one guy returning that played meaningful minutes last year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Cholmondeley posted:

haha
https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/861013944529498112

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Valpo is joining the Missouri Valley Conference.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pubic works project posted:

Valpo is joining the Missouri Valley Conference.

That seems reasonable. They seem like consistently one of the best Horizon teams.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I'm cool with Valpo.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Jaquan Lyle arrested for publix intox. But it's ok! It's not OSU's problem since apparently he had quit the team on April 11th. It's been "Trust Matta, he built the team up from what he inherited" for a few years now and he will get fired after winning probably 8 games next season.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Eltoasto posted:

Jaquan Lyle arrested for publix intox. But it's ok! It's not OSU's problem since apparently he had quit the team on April 11th. It's been "Trust Matta, he built the team up from what he inherited" for a few years now and he will get fired after winning probably 8 games next season.

From Big 10 and national title contenders to complete dumpster fire in 4 years. Well done, Thad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eltoasto posted:

It's been "Trust Matta, he built the team up from what he inherited" for a few years now and he will get fired after winning probably 8 games next season.

I mean it is kind of confusing. Like what happens to guys who take over kind of down programs, turn them into legitimate powerhouses (or at least pretty good and scary teams), and then turn them back into poo poo?

I guess OSU isn't completely poo poo yet, but they're trending down for sure.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

He always relied on recruiting to boost up the teams, Matta and his staff has never improved players once they got there. But he survived on the 1-and-dones and the guys who came in good but stayed 4 years. Take a guy like Craft, he was the same as a Senior as he was as a Freshman. Guys never improved shooting and you never had the guy come off the bench after a couple seasons and turn into a valuable starter. Matta has had the foot issue for a long time and my suspicion is that it just got bad enough to impact recruiting, and everything unraveled from there.

I can't really be mad at him if it's a medical thing, but it's a very bitter pill to watch the administration stick with him as the good coach in waiting goes off to IU. Hopefully there will be decent coaches out there after this season, OSU can certainly offer good money and facilities, but by that point it's going to be another build from scratch. Everyone good in the program or who was committed has left or is on their way out.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

After some speculation DePaul took the lead on Tilmon, he committed to Mizzou. Seems like things are set now for Mizzou (unless Jontay Porter reclassifies) and they should finish above .500 next year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dwight Coleby is transferring out of KU.

http://www.kuathletics.com/news/2017/5/15/mens-basketball-ku-grad-dwight-coleby-elects-to-transfer.aspx

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A good article about the death of Bryce Dejean-Jones: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709769-the-night-that-cost-bryce-dejean-jones-his-life-and-nba-dream

Not the first time someone has been done in by an anger problem exacerbated by alcohol and won't be the last. I'm always sad and angry at him every time I'm reminded of this.

Posted it here because I think more people are familiar with him from his time in the NCAA than his short stint in the NBA.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

After some speculation DePaul took the lead on Tilmon, he committed to Mizzou. Seems like things are set now for Mizzou (unless Jontay Porter reclassifies) and they should finish above .500 next year

Missouri had another transfer from Anderson's recruits too, redshirt freshman Jakoby Kemp, who....uh...must not have been very good since he's a big and Missouri was absolutely desperate for bigs last year. So if Jontay reclassifies they officially have space open for him.

It's weird, I don't even care if he comes this year or next (assuming he comes eventually). If he wants to try to build his name up with another year of AAU ball I have no problem with that at all, same if he wants to come play a year with his brother in college. Well I wouldn't have any problem with that at all on an actual human level anyway, but I mean just as a fan.

It's insane how quickly things have gone from abject horror when thinking about the Missouri basketball program to hope.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is a good read that I wouldn't have seen otherwise because BR, thanks for posting it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Grittybeard posted:

This is a good read that I wouldn't have seen otherwise because BR, thanks for posting it.

My pleasure. It was linked by the Pelican bloggers I follow and they said it was good so I gave it a shot.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Caleb Swanigan showing signs he might be back next year:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/lighter-swanigan-still-trying-figure-nba-fit-220837215--nba.html

If he is it will be a fun Big Ten race with MSU.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

Caleb Swanigan showing signs he might be back next year:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/lighter-swanigan-still-trying-figure-nba-fit-220837215--nba.html

If he is it will be a fun Big Ten race with MSU.

to come in second behind the Northwestern Wild Cat

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Don't know if this will really mean anything.

https://twitter.com/RyanSilver1/status/865703536838836224

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

What was the requirement before? Were there exceptions made if you were below 2.3?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bird in a Blender posted:

What was the requirement before? Were there exceptions made if you were below 2.3?

I think a 2.0.

e: yeah, this site used to say 2.0 instead of 2.3: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/play-division-i-sports

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
First ACCT game goes 13 innings before Miami finally sees off Georgia Tech, ending the Jackets' season apart from a meaningless (for them) game against Wake.

Coming up: NC State prepares to go 0-4 against BC on the year.

Meanwhile in the SEC, South Carolina beat Vandy in 11 to keep very slim tournament hopes going; they'll need at least one more good win to have a chance.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Good to see Miami is winning at a sport again (also wrong thread)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whoops, I missed it yesterday but Jontay Porter committed to Mizzou. Still no word on if he's reclassifying to 2017 or not, although he has some quotes out there that sure sound like he's going to do it.

Even without the younger Porter this might be Missouri's best recruiting class ever, and certainly is since Rivals really became a thing. If Jontay goes to 2017 they'll probably be top 5 in the nation, which is so utterly ridiculous after the Kim Anderson and Frank Haith years I can't even....just I have no words.

I mean Cuonzo will probably turn all of this into like a .500 team but things are different for sure.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 24, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Whoops, I missed it yesterday but Jontay Porter committed to Mizzou. Still no word on if he's reclassifying to 2017 or not, although he has some quotes out there that sure sound like he's going to do it.

Even without the younger Porter this might be Missouri's best recruiting class ever, and certainly is since Rivals really became a thing. If Jontay goes to 2017 they'll probably be top 5 in the nation, which is so utterly ridiculous after the Kim Anderson and Frank Haith years I can't even....just I have no words.

I mean Cuonzo will probably turn all of this into like a .500 team but things are different for sure.

A .500 team would be different for sure

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Glad if mildly surprised that Yurtseven is coming back to State next year, coaching change must have made a big difference considering how bad Gottfried hosed up using him last year. (Also how low his draft stock dropped after being misused.)

Not ideal for Keatts' run-and-gun but I'm sure a lot better than the team would be without him, considering how thin the frontcourt was getting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Svyatoslav Mikhailiyuk is coming back to Kansas per his instagram.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Caleb Swanigan and DJ Wilson are staying in the draft.

Moe Wagner is going back to Michigan, pretty sure that's the last of the Big Ten guys with legit chances to leave. Good news for Michigan State, bad news for Purdue and Michigan.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU is getting a forward from Nebraska. He's 6'-9" 240 lbs, so he'll and some size at least, which I feel is something ISU has struggled with for a while. Has to sit out a year though. Anyone have any clue if he's good?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Hamidou Diallo coming back to Kentucky. That probably takes UK out of the running for Cam Johnson.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

After a two-year absence, we're gonna be back in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge and hosting Texas Tech. Should be fun.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Jalen Coleman-Lands is transferring from Illinois.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

americanzero4128 posted:

Jalen Coleman-Lands is transferring from Illinois.
To Depaul. Hah. (Depaul hired his high school coach).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU is getting a forward from Nebraska. He's 6'-9" 240 lbs, so he'll and some size at least, which I feel is something ISU has struggled with for a while. Has to sit out a year though. Anyone have any clue if he's good?

He's a decent rebounder but that's about it. He shot under 40% from the floor last year despite ostensibly being a post player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Matta is stepping down from OSU after 2017-2018 season. His health must be really declining.

• Locked thread