Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
DRR DRR DRR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mother Ukraine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3760335/He-s-having-bad-Dae-woo-Motorist-s-miraculous-escape-driving-hole-cliff-65ft-drop-sea.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tiny thing in the green circle is the rear spoiler flying off.

https://gfycat.com/SoupyTenseIaerismetalmark

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/hbOS09t.mp4

hello there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a bolt from the blue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I almost had a horrible mechanical failure. I saw this when I was bringing in the dumpster.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Thats an odd place to keep a chainsaw file...

So we've got this little mini skid steer at work. Looks like this.

Using it today and its making an awful screaming and banging noise from the RH track. Got it back to the workshop tonight and loosened the track off and pulled it apart and found this.

Front idler off the track.

WITH NO BEARING IN IT!

This things been used for MONTHS with that bearing howling and carrying on before it finally exploded. Theres metal shavings EVERYWHERE under the track and the thing has been bashing itself to death for so loving long that the inner race for the bearing is TOTALLY MISSING.

I hate my coworkers. How loving hard is it to say to the boss 3 months ago "The Vermeer is making a horrible noise when we drive it!" and get it fixed before it writes off the entire bearing and shaft. Fortunately it doesnt look like its totally eaten the outer race yet, so the idler wheel might be ok.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ferremit posted:

I hate my coworkers. How loving hard is it to say to the boss 3 months ago "The Vermeer is making a horrible noise when we drive it!" and get it fixed before it writes off the entire bearing and shaft. Fortunately it doesnt look like its totally eaten the outer race yet, so the idler wheel might be ok.

"Nah, it's always been making that noise. It's normal."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Welcome to the company. This is our break room. This is our time clock. This is our skidsteer. Don't worry about the noise."

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I also love the people who drain the last bit of coolant, way oil, cutting oil etc and then don't say a word to anyone. We have a guy to order that stuff, it takes 2 minutes to let him know we're out and problem solved.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

honda whisperer posted:

I also love the people who drain the last bit of coolant, way oil, cutting oil etc and then don't say a word to anyone. We have a guy to order that stuff, it takes 2 minutes to let him know we're out and problem solved.

It's no different from the office coffee maker.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

Some people have bosses who resent the fact that you finished something quite reasonably in the course of your job.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's no different from the office coffee maker.

Let me tell you about the six or seven times I've been caught without bog roll at work after taking a massive dump.

I've just started to pile up like 20 rolls on the back of the cistern now.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The worst thing is I work for a state government department so if poo poo breaks its not even like the boss can get lovely cos it's out of his pocket!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd settle for my coworkers flushing. After that, we could work on hand washing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I will never understand how there is piss on the floor under the urinal at the office.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Beach Bum posted:

I will never understand how there is piss on the floor under the urinal at the office.

At least yours is under. Someone at work is pissing ON TOP of the urinal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Someone in my office is managing to spray poo poo on the underside of the toilet seat. How does that happen; tying your shoes while riding the coaster at Hershey Park?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Beach Bum posted:

It bounces off the back of the urinal and lands on the floor.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Midjack posted:

Someone in my office is managing to spray poo poo on the underside of the toilet seat. How does that happen; tying your shoes while riding the coaster at Hershey Park?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Midjack posted:

Really violent loose bowels. Don't ask me how I know.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Midjack posted:

Serious reply: explosive diarrhea. I've managed to do that to my own toilet more times than I'd like to admit.

e;f;b, damnit

The worst is when the dookie flies out so violently that you splash it all over your rear end... even better is when you manage to splash it out of the toilet, and onto the phone you're holding at the time. :barf:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

I've located a sophisticated fluid dynamic simulation to illustrate this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

You ever skip a rock off the water an a 90 degree angle? Like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Midjack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVinRxcoFQ

Wait for it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I've located a sophisticated fluid dynamic simulation to illustrate this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

The little "ffrrt" at the end sells it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've always been partial to this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFvqbSfgqM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thank you, that was the other one I was looking for.

Took me a while - who knew all I needed to Google was "how to blow a pig" :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PainterofCrap posted:

Really violent loose bowels. Don't ask me how I know.

Post/Username combo

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The crap posts reminded me of something my mom told me, not sure if she was there firsthand or heard from a friend. Anyhow she (or her friend) were at a salon getting their hair done when some middle aged women came tearing in and asked to use the bathroom. Salon lady said sure and motioned to the door in the back of the salon. 10-15 minutes later, lady comes out just saying "I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry" and leaves $20 on the counter and books it out the door. Salon lady goes WTF and heads into the crapper.

poo poo and blood everywhere.

EVERYWHERE.

Floor, toilet seat, side of toilet, back of toilet, walls, sinks, loving everywhere. :cry:

Here is a photo I took on the job yesterday. I would not expect everyone to get it, but what's wrong with this picture and why?

e: Also, WTF? Chris Cornell? Didn't see that coming. :(

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 18, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

Here is a photo I took on the job yesterday. I would not expect everyone to get it, but what's wrong with this picture and why?

Do you find yourself able to NOT making drilling jokes when you hit on girls?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ground through a bearing will weld the balls to the race? Possible grease fire too?

roachman14
Jun 17, 2004
Not really automotive, but definitely a failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ako5guyzNg&t=357s

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

roachman14 posted:

Exhibit A of why you never put any part of yourself under a suspended load.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

roachman14 posted:

"I knew I should've replaced that cable, but I didn't do it, and now it's cost me"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrYenko posted:

Do you find yourself able to NOT making drilling jokes when you hit on girls?
No sure I get it... but I'm dense. :/

Equipment is a pulp press.

honda whisperer posted:

Ground through a bearing will weld the balls to the race? Possible grease fire too?
Yeah.

Even if it doesn't weld the elements (spherical bearing in the pillow block) it's an express way to fluting the bearing which will lead to premature failure. I was walking by and pointed it out to the maintenance manager "Uh, hey, notice that?" and his eyes rolled back in his head, a look of despair on his face and "yeah, price me a out a new bearing OK?" :(

BloodBag posted:

Exhibit A of why you never put any part of yourself under a suspended load.
Holy poo poo no kidding

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

slidebite posted:

Wait, doesn't this kind of depend on where the welding is happening? ...if the welding is happening on the screw, wouldn't the bearing be ok?

Still risky and could have been done better, and a bad habit to establish, but is that actually a problem?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

glyph posted:

Wait, doesn't this kind of depend on where the welding is happening? ...if the welding is happening on the screw, wouldn't the bearing be ok?

Still risky and could have been done better, and a bad habit to establish, but is that actually a problem?

The welding appears to be on the casing, in the background of the photo. So the full welding current has to go through the bearing to get from the shaft to the case.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's literally just laziness, right? Like "hey I can clamp to this spot easier than another spot, let's get welding" without thinking of the potential consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Belongs in the OSHA thread: