Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Ehhh I feel pretty comfortable refering to pro players as "bad" even though literally every player highschool and up who can walk without pain is better than me at the sport. It's comparing them to their peers, not to me.

I'm good with criticizing play planning or execution, and there always has to be room for non-athletes/artists/journalists/etc. to criticize the work of athletes/artists/journalists/etc. I'm talking more about someone like a Whitlock calling someone lazy on a handful of plays and some bad assumptions while lacking any self-awareness or humility.

e: Sara Walsh was fired from ESPN shortly after she was preparing to come back from maternity leave. This seems especially messed up now after it turns out that she had previously miscarried in the middle of a live Sportscenter: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUF_v90gu7e/?taken-by=sarawalsh10

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

"Sounds like a good time for a layoff."
- ESPN management

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is it better or worse that ESPN is still paying out the duration of contracts instead of giving buyouts? On the one hand it's nice that a bunch of these people with longer contracts will get paid. On the other other hand it makes it harder to negotiate a new contract somewhere else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BWV posted:

Is it better or worse that ESPN is still paying out the duration of contracts instead of giving buyouts? On the one hand it's nice that a bunch of these people with longer contracts will get paid. On the other other hand it makes it harder to negotiate a new contract somewhere else.

It definitely hurts the lower-tier names, because sitting at home for several months significantly impacts their visibility -- and broadcasting is so superficial, it's basically, "Who are you and what have you done lately?"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

BWV posted:

I don't think it hurts them to continue receiving their paychecks on the schedule they are used to while applying for new jobs. I mean, once they find one, they lose the ESPN paycheck, but I would think this would still enable them to take their time finding a new job.

A buyout for the remaining amount would have been better, though, since it would mean more money in-pocket if they find a job before their ESPN contract would have normally expired.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm sure ESPN would be willing to void the contract if that person was able to find another job.

Until ESPN prevents someone, who they laid off who is seeking a new job, from seeking and getting a new job it's probably better for the employees that they are on contract and getting paid. While being able to relax and look for a job on their own pace.

but lmao if ESPN wants to take the PR hit by trying to enforce a non-compete on their former talent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Beth Mowins is good and earned that spot

Pairing her with Rex Ryan is ... interesting, to say the least

She's not as awful as some people make her out to be for obvious reasons but this is being pretty generous. She's not, like, wildly incompetent or anything but she is really really really boring and generic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

She's not as awful as some people make her out to be for obvious reasons but this is being pretty generous. She's not, like, wildly incompetent or anything but she is really really really boring and generic.

I'll take that over Gruden

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's nothing bad about Beth but she's a pretty bland call and her tone of voice never changes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On the other hand they had been letting loving Berman call that game so blandly competent is I guess a step up

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh yeah you can do a ton worse than Beth Mowins, to be sure. She follows the action well and doesn't gently caress up names.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BWV posted:

The guy who wrote that ESPN book talked about this on Richard Deitsch's podcast.

They openly told everyone they won't stand in the way of them finding another job and they're basically hedging on these people loving their jobs enough that they won't want to just sit around and get paid until their deals expire. ESPN will pay them what is owed until they find another job, at which point ESPN is off the hook.

Also, without directly saying it, he pretty much said the TrueHoop dudes getting tossed was a condition of getting Woj.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/864136349896593420

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well i mean it's the stronger conference and 2 american teams

speaking of jim miller

https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/864120021894799364

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh good, more John Buccigross screaming incoherently during the Frozen Four, awesome.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

oh good, more John Buccigross screaming incoherently during the Frozen Four, awesome.

What, you don't want to take a trip to roof city?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BWV posted:

For ESPN it's the smart move since even if only one person finds a new job somewhere else they are at least off the hook for that money. For the employees, anyone hiring will know they've been laid off and will probably use that as a negotiating tactic, so it really depends on where they're at financially and status-wise in the industry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah paying out through the term of the contract like that is pretty standard across the media industry.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/864456951530434562
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/864458088686002176
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/864458450113351680
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/864458758000439300
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/864459326559277056

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 16, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I am so loving here for a Bomani Jones-Pablo Torre show

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I am so loving here for a Bomani Jones-Pablo Torre show

Same

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who actually watches ESPN during the day if they're employed? That's not supposed to sound dismissive, I just never understood what the audience was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's on in the gym locker room.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The B1G genuinely didn't think they'd get blowback for wanting to show Rutgers vs. Purdue football on friday nights

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

$20M bonus.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who actually watches ESPN during the day if they're employed? That's not supposed to sound dismissive, I just never understood what the audience was.

I have no idea. It's hard not to be dismissive because so much of the response reeks of, uh, "economic anxiety."

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 16, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They also upload all of their talking heads shows as podcasts which is how I listen to their stuff.

I wonder how they were convinced to do that honestly, since it had to drop their viewership by some amount. I mean it was a drop in the bucket for convincing me to drop cable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OH yeah I don't doubt it's a money play, I just loved the facade of thinking people would want to watch it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The waiting area at SPORT CLIPS, the TVs in TGI Fridays/Applebee's/Chili's, and sometimes the TV wall at Target/Best Buy/Walmart. College kids. Airports across the land.

I've been sitting around the house for the last couple weeks waiting for a new contract to start and I've noticed my daytime sports heads yelling at each other viewing as increased from "none" to "lots." Maybe there's a lot of people like me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, it's both smart and stupid in the sense that it's additional money and more eyes on poo poo teams people otherwise wouldn't watch, but you'd have to be completely retarded to not expect blowback.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What i really love out of the Friday night thing is even Northwestern told them to gently caress outta here with that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As someone who works in a bar/restaurant, the channels currently on my TVs are:

-MLB Network
-NBCSN
-beIN Sports

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

euphronius posted:

It's on in the gym locker room.
Those aren't counted by Nielsen though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

THey're there partly because they're cheap (talent costs notwithstanding) and easy to produce, and pretty much anything you put on in daytime weekday slots is gravy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Josh Lyman posted:

Nielsen has developed a way to count those though.

http://adage.com/article/media/espn-bellies-bar/304048/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Josh Lyman posted:

Not knowing anything about the technology that underpins them, I'm honestly surprised that cable and satellite boxes don't report back what they're tuned to.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

howe_sam posted:

Not knowing anything about the technology that underpins them, I'm honestly surprised that cable and satellite boxes don't report back what they're tuned to.

They do. On Direct TV you can even see it, it's in your guide as like "most popular shows right now". The issue is what advertisers will accept to base how much they will pay on.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Got a mail today from Nielson saying I've been selected to participate in one of their surveys. I don't have a cable sub or get OTA channels and just stream everything (PlayStation Vue subscriber) so I'm kind of curious what the questions are and how I will answer them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kibner posted:

Got a mail today from Nielson saying I've been selected to participate in one of their surveys. I don't have a cable sub or get OTA channels and just stream everything (PlayStation Vue subscriber) so I'm kind of curious what the questions are and how I will answer them.

Hopefully they're taking into account people like you, because there are going to be a whole hell of a lot more very soon.

I've got google fiber so I believe I technically 'stream' everything too even though I pay for their TV service which looks and works like cable tv.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/Ben_ESPN/status/864580597813006338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can we rip on the ABC/ESPN NBA coverage guys?

I think the only person I like is Doris Burke.