Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Where are you butts getting the true Aftermath templates from? Or are you just making it in photoshop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Edit Stepped up the back half to 1W since Valor Made Real is only W, and Aftermath is supposed to be more expensive.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 10, 2017

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Veyrall posted:

Where are you butts getting the true Aftermath templates from? Or are you just making it in photoshop?

http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/13814

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I prefer the regular split template as easier to read in a medium wherein you can't reorient the card. Anyway, let's get recursive.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blightning Jr. + combo fuel = ????

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This one's got style. (Each creature without flying*)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Should have used the mat from Office Space.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Turns out that Bear heads, legs, don't actually contribute any power or toughness.

The mana part comes from the torso, though.

BaiSha
Jul 9, 2012

I'm mostly proud of the name

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

EDIT, EDIT - made some suggested changes and fixed up wording on Dictatorship//Democracy
link to old version

Lker fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 12, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Making the second half synergistic with the first is proving quite difficult.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I really wanted to do something with another mechanic fishing around in Standard right now, Madness. If you're able to discard the card and pay the Madness cost then it's basically just a better Boom but Madness exiles the card and means you don't get the Aftermath. If you just cast it regularly as a shittier Stone Rain you get rewarded with an Aftermath option to help you rebuild the land you just trashed.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 13, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZeroCount posted:

I really wanted to do something with another mechanic fishing around in Standard right now, Madness. If you're able to discard the card and pay the Madness cost then it's basically just a better Boom but Madness exiles the card and means you don't get the Aftermath. If you just cast it regularly as a shittier Stone Rain you get rewarded with an Aftermath option to help you rebuild the land you just trashed.
Seed should definitely cost 1G, otherwise it's basically Explore for G.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Seed should definitely cost 1G, otherwise it's basically Explore for G.

You're right, fixed.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I was trying to think of more X to Y aftermath namings that nobody had used yet but my brain kept getting stuck on 'Ashes to ashes' even though the two halves of an aftermath card can't have the same name. Or can they? What if it's just one half?

It's been a while since we got a Shittier Lightning Bolt printing like Rift Bolt or Lava Spike.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Gone is already a card, unfortunately

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ZeroCount posted:

Casting a spell via madness doesn't exile it on resolution.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Casting a spell via madness doesn't exile it on resolution.

Elyv posted:

Gone is already a card, unfortunately

Oh, uh, darn. I've had Madness all wrong for quite some time now then.

EDIT: Not gonna change the card though, land destruction owns and accidentally buffing it through a misunderstanding of the rules is cool and good

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 13, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ZeroCount posted:

Oh, uh, darn. I've had Madness all wrong for quite some time now then.

EDIT: Not gonna change the card though, land destruction owns and accidentally buffing it through a misunderstanding of the rules is cool and good

No worries, don't feel bad for making mistakes on weird interactions on Wizard Poker: A Bafflingly Complex Game (For Kids!).

As a refresher, madness now works as follows.

1.) Something causes you to discard a card that has madness.
2.) Madness puts the card into exile and triggers a player choice.
3.) A player can choose to can the spell from exile ignoring usual timing restrictions or passes on the trigger.
4.) If it wasn't cast or was an instant or sorcery that was cast it is then put into the graveyard.

Even breaking it down in simple way is still silly complicated for the effect. Yay the Animate Dead effect.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

My computers art folder was totally nuked, so I had to settle for what I could get while I try to rebuild. Anyone got any good links to art databases?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I had some time to kill so I tried ranking the current entries from roughly best to least best, excluding mine:

wonder to behold
hot to trot
ready to rumble
only way to be sure
talk to the hand
jump to conclusions
rear end to rear end
set them up to knock them down
right to bear arms
gone to seed
scare to death
time to kill
made to measure
drink to forget
farm to table
work to rule
setup to fail
axe to grind
spin it to win it
ashes to ashes
fade to black
cradle to grave
path to exile
soup to nuts
dictatorship to democracy
tear to shreads
mouth to mouth

It was pretty fun and the top half of the list switched around a lot, would recommend.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 16, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's three more

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Needed an excuse to reuse this image sooner or later.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PMush Perfect posted:

Needed an excuse to reuse this image sooner or later.

Why is it silver bordered? It's the best card!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PMush Perfect's One // Many: Why is this silver-bordered? This card is great and aside from the art could totally be printed black-bordered. At most it might need the second half's cost increased by 1.

ZeroCount's Gone // Seed: Even without the Aftermath side, I doubt a 1-mana Stone Rain would ever see print, even if it required a discard outlet and a fetchland.

TheChirurgeon's Scare // Death: I like what you're going for here -- casting them both together is Plague Wind, Plague Wind costs 9 mana, so it should be fair, right? The problem is that Scare is an Instant, so you can Scare in your opponent's end step, then Death on your own turn for a one-sided Wrath much earlier in the game. Considering that the two halves have plenty of utility independently, also making it a playable Plague Wind feels a bit overdoing it. I think this would be really nice if Scare were sorcery-speed, though -- two solid effects on one card that let you do something cool if the game goes super late.

Veyrall's Set Them Up // Knock Them Down: I love how the second half completely recontextualizes the first half. Not sure the first half is something red can get for two mana, though.

FuzzyMammal's Cradle // Grave: A lot of your early designs didn't seem very cohesive, but this one is really nice. The two halves aren't a combo, but the flavor of protecting one creature long-term throughout its life is cool.

ZeroCount's Ashes: This is actually a pretty cool design. We've seen cards before that can't be cast except in an alternative manner (Evermind, Ancestral Visions), but as far as I know it hasn't been done with Flashback yet. I'd remove the last effect, though; there's plenty of ways to get a card into your graveyard, and that slow and weak ability just makes the card much uglier.

TheChirurgeon's Ready // Rumble: I think Aftermath and Fuse cards are cooler if the two halves have some sort of synergy if cast together, but that's not absolutely necessary. What is necessary, though, is the opposite: the two halves really should function independently. Without the mass untap effect from Ready, Rumble just doesn't really make sense.

Veyrall's Only Way // Be Sure: This doesn't excite me that much in terms of gameplay, but I like the way the effect represents the title.

Third Place
BaiSha's Talk // The Hand:

Cycling plays interestingly with Aftermath. Sticking this particular conditional counterspell on the Aftermath side is cool too -- since it's visible in your graveyard, it's telegraphed in a way that lets the opponent play around it by casting something more expensive, but still lets you surprise them by increasing your hand size suddenly. Or you could just pay four mana to cycle and counter at once as a surprise. Lots of cool choices in this card.

Second Place
PMush Perfect's Wonder // Behold:

What really makes Aftermath designs work for me is when the two effects are solid on their own but also work well together, and this is a perfect example. My only concern was that it seemed a little undercosted, but it looks like you edited it since posting to fix that.

First Place
FuzzyMammal's Jump // Conclusions:

I love this card. Two halves that work independently but work particularly well together. What really sells this card for me is the image of this person leaping away from a massive explosion.

Congratulations FuzzyMammal!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, that one's going on my favorites list.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All right! Thanks, Lottery. I'll come up with a topic for tomorrow morning.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lottery of Babylon posted:

TheChirurgeon's Scare // Death: I like what you're going for here -- casting them both together is Plague Wind, Plague Wind costs 9 mana, so it should be fair, right? The problem is that Scare is an Instant, so you can Scare in your opponent's end step, then Death on your own turn for a one-sided Wrath much earlier in the game. Considering that the two halves have plenty of utility independently, also making it a playable Plague Wind feels a bit overdoing it. I think this would be really nice if Scare were sorcery-speed, though -- two solid effects on one card that let you do something cool if the game goes super late.

Yeah, I thought about that and intentionally made it so you could split them off turns. Sorcery-speed "tap all creatures your opponents control" just isn't very good, and it doesn't seem really blue either (it's more a red thing to take away blockers). That does let you tap your opponent's dudes, then untap and kill them, but requiring UU and BB to do it in my opinion makes the comparatively lowered cost to the not-so-good plague wind a fine tradeoff. I briefly considered Scare being 3UU, though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The next contest will be to design: Mana Rocks

Usually colourless artifacts themselves, mana rocks tap to ramp, splash, filter, or more exotically cantrip or animate themselves. They range in strength from power 9 and edh staple to limited late pick. They range in complexity from the basic to rather complex.

To focus the scope a little bit, I'd like entries to be fit power-wise in to a modern day expansion or commander product, where commons and uncommons serve a limited purpose (common would somewhat conform to NWO principles, an uncommon would frequently be part of a splash enabling cycle or two colour theme), constructed playables and splashy edh targets are rare, and a mox level card is clearly mythic.

Feel free to fix broken cards of the past, pair the mana ability to set mechanics or new mechanics, or make parts of cycles.

I will evaluate cards based on,

1) Cohesiveness. Does the card feel printable? A splashy rare, powerful first pick uncommon like a signet, limited 22nd pick, et cetera.
2) Creativity. Does it do something new? Is it a fresh take on a series of similar cards we've seen before?
3) Execution. Templating and flavour/concepting, basically.
4) Taste. My taste I guess :)

Today's Wednesday the 17th, so let's leave it open until EOD Saturday the 27th. Good luck!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still like my Primal idea, so I try to bring it back every so often, in one form or another.

Pretend that there isn't a Standard format that drowns itself in artifacts and colorless mana right now.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This is one of several cards I made with affinity for a creature class. (It says artificers, not artifacts!) My theory is that, despite its reputation, Affinity is actually fine as a mechanic in principle, you just need to have it be affinity for something that costs more than 0 mana and isn't mass produceable. This gives you a simple way make cards that have tribal synergy rewarding you for using a creature class, but aren't worthless without that class. The class is always thematically appropriate to what it gives you a discount on. So artificers can build your trinkets more efficiently, but assassins help you destroy creatures, and so on.

And then there's this thing, which is a mana rock that turns its wielder into another mana rock.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Will make this pretty later but getting the template down now:

Suntouched Chalice -- X

Artifact

Sunburst (This enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it)

1,tap: add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool where X is the number of charge counters on Suntouched Chalice.

Its basically a scalable signet, ideal for 3-5 color edh stuff, without being overpowered due to things like sol ring etc. Plays well with my favorite EDH card, contagion engine as well by being able to proliferate up to more and more mana.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Will make this pretty later but getting the template down now:

Suntouched Chalice -- X

Artifact

Sunburst (This enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it)

1,tap: add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool where X is the number of charge counters on Suntouched Chalice.

Its basically a scalable signet, ideal for 3-5 color edh stuff, without being overpowered due to things like sol ring etc. Plays well with my favorite EDH card, contagion engine as well by being able to proliferate up to more and more mana.
I think you're gonna need to make it cost X1 or XX. Otherwise, I and everyone else would just X=2 it for a better Signet.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Costing mana rocks is difficult, hence the existence of the power 9. 0-cost moxen need really strong drawbacks and even then they usually see play (or get banned like the artifact lands). 1 mana, you get cylixes and eggs, put mana in, get mana out, with the filter either dying and drawing a card or staying in play. 2 mana, you get signets, myr and diamonds. Artifact creatures with summoning sickness, enters the battlefield tapped, or requires a mana investment. You do get a handful of straight up ramp here, cards like Mind Stone, Prismatic Lens, Felwar Stone or the Talisman cycle. Colourless, one or two colour sits here with some filters. 3 mana, you can get 3+ colours plus something extra.

So, for a single colour mana rock, 2 mana you need a drawback (enters the battlefield tapped, pay mana to get mana or pain), 3 mana you need a boost (Ramosian artifacts, Totems, else be a strictly worse manalith.)

A plain, no frills single colour rock with no benefits or drawbacks therefore sits at 2.5 mana. Or, to put it another way,

If you have the colour this cycle is better than the Diamonds. If you don't, you pay extra for the fixing. Simple, elegant, powerful, poses an interesting challenge drafting.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 17, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AJ_Impy posted:

A plain, no frills single colour rock with no benefits or drawbacks therefore sits at 2.5 mana. Or, to put it another way,

If you have the colour this cycle is better than the Diamonds. If you don't, you pay extra for the fixing. Simple, elegant, powerful, poses an interesting challenge drafting.

I love this.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's cool. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to have the hybrid be off colour even, as CD mana is more useful to players than CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Ok, did a few attempts this time.

I was surprised this hadn't been done on an artifact yet, but I like how it's OK in draft, likely unplayable in standard but could potentially see play in degenerate legacy decks.

A second shot. This may be *slightly* undercosted at 3, but it felt overcosted at 4.

And just for shits and giggles, I'm making a pass at a Mox wooooooo