Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Previous thread that spans 8 years of Twin Peaks discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Many thanks to those who participated in the series rewatch from August 2019 to May 2020. It was a fun tradition and I enjoyed revisiting the series with y'all!

Watch in this order to (help) avoid being lost: Season 1 > Season 2 > Fire Walk With Me > The Missing Pieces > Season 3

It also helps to familiarize yourself with Lynch's film work like Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Inland Empire, etc., as Twin Peaks shares themes and actors with them.

And remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Given the whole Rachel Dolezal situation recently I think we're ripe for a return of OG trans-racial representation Mr. Tojamura.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Given the whole Rachel Dolezal situation recently I think we're ripe for a return of OG trans-racial representation Mr. Tojamura.

God, that part was so hard to get through. That accent :ohdear: Hahaha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also this is topical: Flying Lotus remixed the Twin Peaks theme recently, though personally I find it pretty boring and it sounds like a remix that anyone could do. There are any number of piano/guitar covers of the theme song on YouTube that are more interesting to me than this.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Good thread, I'm sure we'll be here for the next 25 years.

Actual Content: I don't think Laura Dern is going to play Diane. In my mind it's more likely Tamara Preston.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

More likely, it's Tamara Preston.
Possibly, though it's also possible Preston's story will be left to whatever Frost's second book will end up being.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I recently finished watching the original series and was about to post in the other thread when I saw you put this thread up. The show has certainly been an experience, for good and ill. I am definitely not looking forward to seeing James in the revival. I'm planning to watch the movie next and don't know what the missing pieces are. I can also say that I finally understand what that Black Lodge game was about, and the influence this show had on Deadly Premonition.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

I recently finished watching the original series and was about to post in the other thread when I saw you put this thread up. The show has certainly been an experience, for good and ill. I am definitely not looking forward to seeing James in the revival. I'm planning to watch the movie next and don't know what the missing pieces are. I can also say that I finally understand what that Black Lodge game was about.
"The Missing Pieces" are deleted scenes from FWWM that weren't ever released until Lynch loosely edited them into a feature for the blu ray set a few years ago. If you're going to watch it, do so after FWWM.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mraagvpeine posted:

I am definitely not looking forward to seeing James in the revival.
I can't wait to see his forehead !

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
So what's the spoiler policy gonna be for this thread? Black out all spoilers for the old seasons until the new premiere?

Also am I the only one who always thought that there never really was a black lodge or white lodge, only the red room area that encompassed both? Hence the black and white interlocking zig-zags on the floor. This would fit a major theme in the show and all of Lynch's work, that the good and bad sides of life are inseparable and constantly intermingling.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

So what's the spoiler policy gonna be for this thread? Black out all spoilers for the old seasons until the new premiere?

Also am I the only one who always thought that there never really was a black lodge or white lodge, only the red room area that encompassed both? Hence the black and white interlocking zig-zags on the floor. This would fit a major theme in the show and all of Lynch's work, that the good and bad sides of life are inseparable and constantly intermingling.
I always figured the Red Room and the Black Lodge are one in the same, but I'm not entirely convinced the White Lodge was ever directly depicted in the show.

Maybe the final shots of FWWM with Laura and Cooper are brief glimpses of them entering the White Lodge, but frankly that raises way more questions than it answers.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 17, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Remember that fear and love are the keys and that they can warp a person's perception. Now that I think about it, Albert was probably right in following his path.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I always figured the Red Room and the Black Lodge are one in the same, but I'm not entirely convinced the White Lodge was ever directly depicted in the show.

Maybe the final shots of FWWM with Laura and Cooper are the brief glimpses of them entering the White Lodge, but frankly that raises way more questions than it answers.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to fit that scene with anything else either. Its a scene that is emotionally striking but defiant to interpretation.

Also anyone know if Lynch or Frost are big fans of William Burroughs? Because a lot of the mythology of the show reminds me so much of Burroughs' work after Naked Lunch, and the recent book seemed to solidify that even more.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there a consensus we can come to as to when FWWM takes place? Is it a prequel to the original series or does it take place during an alternate timeline?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there a consensus we can come to as to when FWWM takes place? Is it a prequel to the original series or does it take place during an alternate timeline?
I dunno. The novel might imply it actually is some form of alternate timeline, unless Frost just majorly goofed up on multiple points of continuity.

If there is some timeline shenanigans, Laura writing about Cooper in her diary (If she did so) might have actually changed how events played out (Though that doesn't explain all of the continuity errors in the book that take place before the time of the series).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 17, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Since time-travel was introduced in FWWM who knows, but I'm guessing the new season isn't going to be an alternate timeline as much as its going to just be whatever Lynch and Frost want to do wtihout regard for previous canon or continuity. Without in-show explanations for the retcons, like the Star Trek reboot did or whatever.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 17, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I started watching Twin Peaks for the first time properly just recently. I'm an episode away from the end of season 1 and am really liking it, then I saw that season 2 is 20+ episodes and according to the OP the middle third are "mad sketchy" so I doubt I'm gonna get through them in a rush :smith:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I rewatched the series recently, for me the whole thing is entertaining. It's definitely a different thing for those middle episodes of season 2, less Lynchian, but I still enjoy the wackiness and overall it's very watchable for me. Agreed the green stuff on the chart there is way better though, and the show ends really really strong with a Lynch directed ep.

Can't wait for the new stuff this Sunday, it looks so drat good. Been waiting years for some new Lynch, and it being Twin Peaks is pretty sweet too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

I started watching Twin Peaks for the first time properly just recently. I'm an episode away from the end of season 1 and am really liking it, then I saw that season 2 is 20+ episodes and according to the OP the middle third are "mad sketchy" so I doubt I'm gonna get through them in a rush :smith:
If you treat Season 2 as close to the same length as Season 1, you'll be fine. The main plotline gets wrapped up in like the first third of the season, so after you finish with that, just skip to the finale. You'll be bypassing a lot of really terrible subplots and getting some closure at the end of the series ( :lol: just kidding :v: ).

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

But then you miss out on Josie's fate

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

And you know, the context behind the entire plot of the finale. And also some important bits of FWWM.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Personally I think Windom Earle is a much more interesting character before he is actually shown on screen. Skip that part and you can just imagine something better.

(Really though the whole show is worth watching at least once).

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 17, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lord Krangdar posted:

Being trapped inside a doorknob ? :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Your mileage will vary, but if you find it doable I'd give three or four of those red episodes a try to see. For me it did have a lull right after the green area there ends, but it bounced back I found. Overall a dip in quality for one of the top TV shows ever is still some worthwhile TV.

And I wouldn't want to miss any Michael Parks, David Warner, hell, some quality Billy Zane...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For me, I noticed a dramatic dip in quality after the green zone ends that it doesn't really recover from until the end. I watched it because I'm a completionist, and there are some moments in there that are so stupid they're fun, but I absolutely would not call most of it necessary, even if you're a fan of the the first season/first third of the second season.

Like the guide says, every episode gives clues to the mythos of the series, but I'd say you're better off watching a Season 2 recap video on YouTube or something to get a summary of those clues than actually watching dull episode after dull episode after dull episode.

Something like this, though obviously only watch it if you've watched the good parts of Season 2 and you're sure you don't want to watch all the bad episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tr3lyH41fM

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 17, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, but if you skip Earle, you skip... this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, but if you skip Earle, you skip... this.
That was one of those moments that I'd completely forgotten from my first watch of the series, and when I was watching it all last week, I belly laughed at it because it's so loving ridiculous :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Huh?

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
If the words sound queer
and funny to your ear,
a little bit jumbled and jivey
Sing "Mares eat oats
and does eat oats
and little lambs eat ivy

I'm back! Back and ready!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Any excuse to watch Blue Velvet again is fine by me v:shobon:v

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

Wow, this is such a dumb troll. Lost Highway is obviously the penultimate viewing, and then you watch Island Empire. Are you trying to get people confused or....what?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jerusalem posted:

Any excuse to watch Blue Velvet again is fine by me v:shobon:v

Plus it's an excuse to see Dean Stockwell in his prime!

Stato-Masochist posted:

Lost Highway is obviously the penultimate viewing, and then you watch Island Empire. Are you trying to get people confused or....what?

Very true, and I love that Balthazar Getty is on the new Twin Peaks cast list too. Plus Naomi Watts and whatnot of course, it's gonna be a David Lynch party.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stato-Masochist posted:

Wow, this is such a dumb troll. Lost Highway is obviously the penultimate viewing, and then you watch Island Empire. Are you trying to get people confused or....what?
I dunno, the movie is just a bunch of sex scenes and who wants to watch that?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Raxivace posted:

Seems legit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raxivace posted:

Watching the likes of Robert Loggia and Gary Busey in great roles is more spiritual than sexual for me, but maybe both!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus it's an excuse to see Dean Stockwell in his prime!

Stockwell just sitting in a room with some fat chicks then remarking,"Oh. Frank's here." gets me every time.

"Here's to your gently caress :cheers:"

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I'm Robert Loggia, and you're the tailgater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5I7lXV9b88

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

My understanding is that events in the lodge exist outside of linear time. So, what's happening there can be referenced at anytime in the 'real world' narrative, because it's a different realm with different rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stato-Masochist posted:

My understanding is that events in the lodge exist outside of linear time. So, what's happening there can be referenced at anytime in the 'real world' narrative, because it's a different realm with different rules.

Which is confirmed in missing pieces with Annie saying her line about Dale while in the hospital bed after the finale

And since they are the best characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbG7CfFsmE