Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
checks out, straight people wouldn't do it constantly if it was a crime for them

also bachelorette parties are the only time i've ever actually been groped by a woman its like their one chance to objectify and assault people before they submit themselves to the rightful will of god & their husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah, I am a straight woman and I'm pretty reluctant to go to gay bars simply because I don't want to invade someone else's space, even though I would never act like you're all describing. I pretty much only go to a gay bar when there's a performer I want to see. I've loved drag since I was a tween and first gaped at Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show, I started going to local shows in college, and now with RPDR taking off so much it seems like there are so many more straight people, esp. women, at drag shows, and I have heard some grumbling from the gay community that they feel like drag is being taken away from them. I don't know what to do about that one though. I love drag, I don't want to stop going to shows, as if I alone could turn back the mainstreaming effect. I appreciated what Lady Gaga had to say in the first episode, about being a straight woman who wants to pay the gay community respect and still be in some way a part of it. Not really a solution though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

Yeah, I am a straight woman and I'm pretty reluctant to go to gay bars simply because I don't want to invade someone else's space, even though I would never act like you're all describing. I pretty much only go to a gay bar when there's a performer I want to see. I've loved drag since I was a tween and first gaped at Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show, I started going to local shows in college, and now with RPDR taking off so much it seems like there are so many more straight people, esp. women, at drag shows, and I have heard some grumbling from the gay community that they feel like drag is being taken away from them. I don't know what to do about that one though. I love drag, I don't want to stop going to shows, as if I alone could turn back the mainstreaming effect. I appreciated what Lady Gaga had to say in the first episode, about being a straight woman who wants to pay the gay community respect and still be in some way a part of it. Not really a solution though.

I appreciate your concern. I think generally, if you want to go to a drag show, go. Queens make more money with more people there to tip them. It's how many of them make your living. Go and support the artists you love. Be respectful of the fact that you're in a space not catering to you. Don't try and outshine the Queen. There are plenty of videos out there of drunk straight girls, like Brandi Glanville, trying to steal the spotlight from the Queen on stage.

If you're there with your gay friends, it sounds like they already want to be there. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy your friends. They enjoy you.

If you're there with a group of your straight girl friends, maybe start making plans to move on to the next location when the show is over.

Even if you're on your best behavior, this is still a gay space. Gay bars and clubs are some of the only places that many gay people have where they are amongst their own, where there is a short hand, where people understand their life experiences, and where if they see someone they find attractive, there is a better chance that we can find someone to take home for the night, or take home to mom. The more straight people there, the less and less of a gay space it becomes. A lot of gay people are going to see a large group of straight girls, or several large group of straight girls, and feel resentful, or even unwelcome in one of, if not the only, safe spaces they have in their lives.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Holy moly, the Ru Reddit is exploding.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Sarcopenia posted:

Holy moly, the Ru Reddit is exploding.

If only that were literally true.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i understand maybe 3 percent of what anybody on the rupaul reddit is talking about and even that seems like a high estimate

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

From what I gather the explosion this time is justified, but in general I think that sub is way too enthusiastic with their pitchforks and this kinda feels like more of that kinda behavior

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Seems like the r/rpdr mods accepted money or something and used it to pay for tickets and hang out with drag queens, i do not know how nobody saw it coming

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/6b915w/your_brand_is_perfect_its_beutiful_it_looks_like/
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditD...=SubredditDrama

From the second link:

quote:

Basically:
  • A celebrity/previous and extremely messy contestant in and out of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 4 and All Stars 2,Phi Phi O'Hara, called out a r/rupaulsdragrace/ mod for being Donald Trump with regards to deleting posts
  • /r/rupaulsdragrace/ mods made a post to apologize to contestant.
  • They apparently talked it out with the rogue mod.
  • They added a new mod, who claims to be the friend of that contestant, Phi Phi O'Hara
  • The most known mod,broosh, said that the new mod was added in order to brand the subreddit in order to get closer to the contestants.
  • The sub hates it because they want the subreddit to be a free discussion forum instead of just sucking up to contestants.
  • The new mod being messy and petty about the drama
  • members being extra messy
  • Phi Phi just watching the chaos ensue - She's that girl we knew she was.
  • The new mod has been removed and contrary to popular belief, the rogue mod,saintrorem, was never removed from the list of moderators.

:munch: I love it. They're calling for the main mod's head on a platter in the main subreddit. It's fun!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's some pretty choice drama right there.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

graynull posted:

If only that were literally true.

Yeah, I occasionally lurk it once or twice a month for the "memes" and funny twitter exchanges. It's just permeating every thread.

I spent like 30min too many trying to figure out what was going on. Seems to be a case of mods knew?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
phi phi strikes again

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Troposphere posted:

phi phi strikes again

Yeah it's this.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

I just want to start by saying that I know this makes me a garbage person, but I'm just now getting around to watching All-Stars Season 2.

I'm glad there's Phi Phi drama, because I need to talk about that bitch.

Look, I'm not even mad at her whole "Oh, I'm just here to rehabilitate my image *immediately becomes a raging turboshit again*" thing. We all expected that. It's the scorpion's nature to sting the frog glamour toad.

But that utter trash fucker actually said "G-I-F". She spelled it the gently caress out. No hard G, no soft G, she just spelled it out like that's a thing human beings are supposed to do and not immediately be locked in prison for it.

gently caress the current drama, gently caress season 4, gently caress her attitude or whatever, why is she not currently spread across 5 different Chicago dumpsters right now for SPELLING OUT "GIF" RATHER THAN JUST PRONOUNCING THE WORD?

We cannot have a functioning society if this is allowed to happen without penalty.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nihonniboku posted:

I appreciate your concern. I think generally, if you want to go to a drag show, go. Queens make more money with more people there to tip them. It's how many of them make your living. Go and support the artists you love. Be respectful of the fact that you're in a space not catering to you. Don't try and outshine the Queen. There are plenty of videos out there of drunk straight girls, like Brandi Glanville, trying to steal the spotlight from the Queen on stage.

If you're there with your gay friends, it sounds like they already want to be there. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy your friends. They enjoy you.

If you're there with a group of your straight girl friends, maybe start making plans to move on to the next location when the show is over.

Even if you're on your best behavior, this is still a gay space. Gay bars and clubs are some of the only places that many gay people have where they are amongst their own, where there is a short hand, where people understand their life experiences, and where if they see someone they find attractive, there is a better chance that we can find someone to take home for the night, or take home to mom. The more straight people there, the less and less of a gay space it becomes. A lot of gay people are going to see a large group of straight girls, or several large group of straight girls, and feel resentful, or even unwelcome in one of, if not the only, safe spaces they have in their lives.

Thanks for this. I don't go to gay clubs even a fraction as much as when I lived in SF (go figure, and it was with a good gay friend and his people), but it's always nice to be validated that if a straight girl isn't being a shitheel, it's okay to be there and support a very cool scene. It's one of those cases where people as a whole can be terrible, but individuals who mind themselves are okay. I've never seen a bachelorette party get out of hand, but it doesn't take much to understand the situation. I just figure it's our job as straight girls who don't suck not to shy away and try to contribute positively.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
straight girls are gay bars suck because I try and hit on them and they're like oh no I'm not actually gay tee hee

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Troposphere posted:

straight girls are gay bars suck because I try and hit on them and they're like oh no I'm not actually gay tee hee

That's why you should hang out at bear bars. I've never seen a straight woman at a bear bar. We shatter the illusion that all gay dudes are makeup-wearing twinks permanently generating a cloud of glitter, and that makes them feel all icky, like they're talking about actual people or something.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

It's been taken over by straight people looking to do some gay cultural tourism, and the gay community has mostly moved on, feeling unwelcome at our own bar.

This is why I avoid gay clubs for the most part. I don't want to be perceived as a tourist. And I don't want to mislead someone into hitting on me only to have to turn them down because I'm straight. That's not nice and it's not fair. I completely get the whole idea that it's a safe space and I don't understand this obsession some straight women have with invading it. Stop. It's not for you!

A God drat Ghost posted:

I love drag and have pretty much the same experience as you. I will occasionally go see a drag show at Hamburger Mary's but even then I feel like I'm intruding. I just make sure I bring lots and lots of cash with me and am very generous. It helps with the guilt.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Dear Prudence posted:

And I don't want to mislead someone into hitting on me only to have to turn them down because I'm straight.

My strategy for dealing with this is to just be fat and hideous, it's super effective.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

My strategy for dealing with this is to just be fat and hideous, it's super effective.

if you can't love yourself ...

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Trig Discipline posted:

Same but wearing ugly garbage clothes

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

if you can't love yourself ...

I can, it's just that nobody else wants to watch.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

That's why you should hang out at bear bars. I've never seen a straight woman at a bear bar. We shatter the illusion that all gay dudes are makeup-wearing twinks permanently generating a cloud of glitter, and that makes them feel all icky, like they're talking about actual people or something.

I can confirm bear bars are the best because they are where gay people and their friends go to socialize in a gay space, rather than where gay people and their fans go to emulate the gay scene they saw on their favourite netflix show / a recent buzzfeed article.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tote up a bags posted:

I can confirm bear bars are the best because they are where gay people and their friends go to socialize in a gay space, rather than where gay people and their fans go to emulate the gay scene they saw on their favourite netflix show / a recent buzzfeed article.

What Netflix show features the gay scene?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
stranger things

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
BoJack

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

My Heroes For Hire fanscript.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Last night Dax came into my work and I made him food. The girls I worked with were jealous of how good his skin looked. He was very nice. That's my story.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

My entire impression of gay people is 100% shaped by RPDR and Titus Andromedon

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

ALFbrot posted:

My entire impression of gay people is 100% shaped by RPDR and Titus Andromedon

Phi Phi is why people hate us. :sigh:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Phi Phi is why people hate us. :sigh:

SHE SAID SHE FELT

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I still like PhiPhi I don't care what anyone says. :colbert:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Nihonniboku posted:

Game of Thrones

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Let me ask a very fair question: what does Farrah do successfully?

I kept waiting for her to blow me away with something besides cuteness, and it never really happened. What the hell is her Vegas show?

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Toast Museum posted:

I kept waiting for her to blow me away with something besides cuteness, and it never really happened. What the hell is her Vegas show?

She's an expert sommelier, known up and down the strip for her extensive knowledge of whines.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I still like PhiPhi I don't care what anyone says. :colbert:

Stop it, you're tearing our community apart!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

one of the most savage "poo poo gets real" untucked questions of all time

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

one of the most savage "poo poo gets real" untucked questions of all time

I don't particularly dislike Farrah, but I really wonder how she became successful in the Vegas circuit given how cutthroat and high-production quality it is. What's her selling point?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pellisworth posted:

I don't particularly dislike Farrah, but I really wonder how she became successful in the Vegas circuit given how cutthroat and high-production quality it is. What's her selling point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYP2qLsC3x4

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

so is Pearl :shade donkdonkdonkdonk:

e: Pearl is loving gorgeous in and out of drag, would totally smoke a joint and hang/bang her. I wouldn't pay money to see her and that's kind of my qualifier for drag queens. Would I pay ten-twenty bux to see her perform? Pearl, Farrah, Kimora, hell even Cucu are passes. Maybe I'd see a CLF show but you gotta put on a Got. Damnt. Show.

edit2: I guess I'm just not a fan of pure "look" queens. As much as I think Kim Chi is stunning and unique I dunno if I'd pay to see her, I really want a queen to be funny or put on a stellar performance.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

This is the truest poo poo part about straight girls in gay bars. That and when other lesbians assume you're also straight b/c you don't have a Tegan and Sara haircut.

Seriously, though, I'm all for straight guys and girls being in gay bars, drag show or no, so long as they're being respectful and not being a douche. Like it's weird if they're alone or only with other straight people, and there isn't a show, but if they're being nice who cares.

• Locked thread