Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Did nobody run the numbers of trading it in or is there a reason you're keeping it around?
we have been working to retire it for some time now. Just a pain in the rear end to lose the awesome CIFS service on NetApp to go to Windows file shares. We finally bought a pair of Nimble shelves to complete the project and I hope to have it done by Mayish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Walked posted:

Sure; we're aiming for something 20-30tb for a very generic "virtualization" workload; no particular high io workloads; but significant VM usage. Clustered environment.

I've used the Equallogic PS6000 series in the past and it's handled this workload well; but I want to see if there's another option to consider this time through, as cost is a bigger consideration here.

We just had to look into few cheap storage solutions for our hpc cluster and quantum qxs was the cheapest option that still works for us feature wise.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Has anybody ever quoted out FreeNAS certified servers? I'm doing a little consulting with an academic lab who is looking to improve their setup from "~30TB of usable storage on a single RAID controller in a single SUSE server".

They are needing at least 50TB space, preferably more like 70TB. Budget is more like Synology or QNAP filled with 8TB WD Reds than all-flash Netapp. The only hard requirements are reasonable continuous read performance for less than 5 users at once, NFS and CIFS shares, 10gigE. No need for high availability and it will be backed up to tape regularly.

It's a bioinformatics lab needing somewhere to centralize storage of research data. No home folders stored or high IOPS needed, but I would think that one of the certified FreeNAS boxes would give them a better long-term experience than the QNAP or Synology 12-bay NASes. Any other budget options that would give a reasonable experience?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Twerk from Home posted:

Has anybody ever quoted out FreeNAS certified servers? I'm doing a little consulting with an academic lab who is looking to improve their setup from "~30TB of usable storage on a single RAID controller in a single SUSE server".

They are needing at least 50TB space, preferably more like 70TB. Budget is more like Synology or QNAP filled with 8TB WD Reds than all-flash Netapp. The only hard requirements are reasonable continuous read performance for less than 5 users at once, NFS and CIFS shares, 10gigE. No need for high availability and it will be backed up to tape regularly.

It's a bioinformatics lab needing somewhere to centralize storage of research data. No home folders stored or high IOPS needed, but I would think that one of the certified FreeNAS boxes would give them a better long-term experience than the QNAP or Synology 12-bay NASes. Any other budget options that would give a reasonable experience?
What kind of bioinformatics are they doing? How many files are on their filesystem? (It sounds like a ridiculous question, but I once supported a lab that routinely filled their filesystems with a billion tiny files doing de novo assembly.)

The claim is that they don't need high IOPS, but I've never known a quantitative biology group to estimate this correctly. Is this just archival storage for occasional data analysis, or is this actually supposed to be hooked up to a compute cluster?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

What kind of bioinformatics are they doing? How many files are on their filesystem? (It sounds like a ridiculous question, but I once supported a lab that routinely filled their filesystems with a billion tiny files doing de novo assembly.)

Good question, what data I've seen involves fewer much larger files. They do mostly GWAS and pedigree reconstruction, so the genomes are coming to them already assembled. Also their worker machines have 384GB of RAM each or more, and they tend to slurp whole files into memory rather than doing random disk i/o or paging, but that also might be to deal with how much their current storage sucks.

This is where the data is going to be analyzed from, not an archival backup. Good point about they might not know what they want.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 28, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Good question, what data I've seen involves fewer much larger files. They do mostly GWAS and pedigree reconstruction, so the genomes are coming to them already assembled. Also their worker machines have 384GB of RAM each or more, and they tend to slurp whole files into memory rather than doing random disk i/o or paging, but that also might be to deal with how much their current storage sucks.

This is where the data is going to be analyzed from, not an archival backup. Good point about they might not know what they want.
They may also legitimately have no idea how much their storage is costing them in terms of time to complete a run. They might just think it's supposed to be that slow, and they would never say anything unless a known quantity starts taking significantly longer to finish. It's worth doing an analysis to see the access patterns over time (thankfully easy on Linux with minimal setup).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

They may also legitimately have no idea how much their storage is costing them in terms of time to complete a run. They might just think it's supposed to be that slow, and they would never say anything unless a known quantity starts taking significantly longer to finish. It's worth doing an analysis to see the access patterns over time (thankfully easy on Linux with minimal setup).

So what's the best bang for buck way to make it faster? They're hoping to spend less than $15k to get that 50-70TB of space, hence my comment that the price range is more like "Synology with WD Reds in it".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

So what's the best bang for buck way to make it faster? They're hoping to spend less than $15k to get that 50-70TB of space, hence my comment that the price range is more like "Synology with WD Reds in it".
Standard ZFS best practice: metadata on fast disk, aggressive write-back caching, batching of jobs where reasonable so these huge sequential things don't run concurrently and stomp all over I/O locality. I'd definitely be looking hard at cheap consumer SSD for the ZIL if they're going to be doing any significant writing. The L2ARC might buy you something, but probably won't matter for sequential reads of that size unless you have a big cluster crunching the same dataset.

When it comes down to it, their budget is their budget, but a holistic approach would be to look at their whole tech spend and see if they can avoid, say, adding cluster nodes by making their existing runs faster.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 29, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

We store a lot of this on low end netapps. Write performance is utter garbo but read's ok. Map your performance requirements beforehand.

Twerk from Home posted:

Vulture Culture posted:

When it comes down to it, their budget is their budget, but a holistic approach would be to look at their whole tech spend and see if they can avoid, say, adding cluster nodes by making their existing runs faster.
Vulture's advice is p core here. It's no use having gobs of compute if it sits in IO-wait 80% of the time. I would really try to map their entire workflow and go from there.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 29, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

maxallen posted:

Curious if anyone has any thoughts why this happened:

I work for a company, we resell software/equipment (in a field that's small enough you could narrow me down if I was more specific.) We have a support/maintenance contract with one of our local customers, upgraded them to the newest version a few months ago. While we did this, we transitioned from physical to virtual servers. We have one server that hosts our application, one that hosts MSSQL.

Customer's IT department installed and prepped the SQL server (we finalized install), and they installed the SQL instance datastores on an iSCSI drive hosted on a Nimble controller.

Yesterday about 11:23 AM, the iSCSI drive suddenly died. Windows reported it as a RAW partition, disconnecting and reconnecting did nothing, and ... well let me post the description the IT Manager gave to the IT director:

So his boss sends to [Division Director] that they'll look into it, but who really needs to look into it is us, because they don't know our program (keep in mind we have nothing to do with the storage solution or how it was set up, that was all their IT department, and this server only hosts MSSQL). So I do some investigating and find two things in event viewer that kicked off when it started and just kept repeating afterwards:

Nimble service:
I/O Complete. Serial Number 1C4101B848DC3A536C9CE90097376601. Address 01:00:01:00. Path ID 0x77010001. Path Count 2. CDB 2A 00 01 EE 3D D7 00 00 01 00 -- -- -- -- -- --. Sense Data -- -- --. SRB Status 0x04. SCSI Status 0x18. Queue Status 0, 1. ALUA State: Active Optimized. Device State: Active Optimized.

Ntfs service:
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: E:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume6.
({Device Busy}
The device is currently busy.)

(repeat every few seconds until the iSCSI connection was terminated).

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen this before?

Tl;dr: Customer's nimble iSCSI share suddenly kicked the bucket, and only on our instance, and it's up to me to figure out why

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006849

Looks like a microsoft/iscsi error that was kicked off by a snapshot

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

We talked to iXsystems about their stuff for secondary storage and the quotes they came back with were substantially higher than our primary storage costs. I went through things with them a number of times to make sure they didn't misunderstand our use cases/requirements and that did not appear to be the case.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

maxallen posted:

Curious if anyone has any thoughts why this happened:

I work for a company, we resell software/equipment (in a field that's small enough you could narrow me down if I was more specific.) We have a support/maintenance contract with one of our local customers, upgraded them to the newest version a few months ago. While we did this, we transitioned from physical to virtual servers. We have one server that hosts our application, one that hosts MSSQL.

Customer's IT department installed and prepped the SQL server (we finalized install), and they installed the SQL instance datastores on an iSCSI drive hosted on a Nimble controller.

Yesterday about 11:23 AM, the iSCSI drive suddenly died. Windows reported it as a RAW partition, disconnecting and reconnecting did nothing, and ... well let me post the description the IT Manager gave to the IT director:

So his boss sends to [Division Director] that they'll look into it, but who really needs to look into it is us, because they don't know our program (keep in mind we have nothing to do with the storage solution or how it was set up, that was all their IT department, and this server only hosts MSSQL). So I do some investigating and find two things in event viewer that kicked off when it started and just kept repeating afterwards:

Nimble service:
I/O Complete. Serial Number 1C4101B848DC3A536C9CE90097376601. Address 01:00:01:00. Path ID 0x77010001. Path Count 2. CDB 2A 00 01 EE 3D D7 00 00 01 00 -- -- -- -- -- --. Sense Data -- -- --. SRB Status 0x04. SCSI Status 0x18. Queue Status 0, 1. ALUA State: Active Optimized. Device State: Active Optimized.

Ntfs service:
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: E:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume6.
({Device Busy}
The device is currently busy.)

(repeat every few seconds until the iSCSI connection was terminated).

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen this before?

Tl;dr: Customer's nimble iSCSI share suddenly kicked the bucket, and only on our instance, and it's up to me to figure out why

The scsi status 0x18 indicates a reservation conflict, meaning some other iqn reserved the device. If this is a cluster then it could indicate an issue with the cluster configuration where one node tried to take control of the resource without the services failing over properly. If it's a standalone server then it probably means someone hosed up and presented that LUN to another server and attempted to initialize it there.

The NTFS error just means that it could not complete write operations to the device, which could be any number of issues, absent other info.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Twerk from Home posted:

Would this be such a bad option? The performance requirements don't sound that high and it doesn't sound like you would need the advanced features Netapp and such could provide. At work I could get 10*8TB PowerEdge server for 5k. Buy a second for backup duties, everyone can just switch to using the backup server until the repair man shows up NBD. Hardware support from the manufacturer, software support from Red Hat/Microsoft.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
X-Post from the Packrat thread.

eames posted:

The CTO of iXsystems and project leader of FreeNAS is leaving the company in a week to move on to "the nanotech / biomedical field"

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/moving-on-from-ixsystems-and-the-future-of-freenas-corral.52426/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Whenever we've gone down the ix/nexenta/tintri/(other zfs-derivative) route for quotes they always seem to be priced at 10% less than everyday netapp instead of the commodity plus 20% that id prefer to see. That may be an unrealistic expectation; ymmv.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I'd be interested in a thumbnail sketch (which tools?) on how you are doing that analysis if you wouldn't mind sharing.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I just got a quote for two zfs appliances from Oracle, both fully licensed, both with 68 1.2tb disks and the associated SSDs for ZIL and l2arc for a fabulous price that I can't share, but trust me, it's low enough that it is worth looking into if you are looking at storage.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

I'd be interested in a thumbnail sketch (which tools?) on how you are doing that analysis if you wouldn't mind sharing.
I haven't worked there in a good amount of time, but sure. I'm going to ignore general stuff on managing storage performance like keeping an eye on your device queue sizes, because there's plenty of good information out there already on that.

We ran a couple of different storage systems. BlueArc (now Hitachi HNAS), IBM SONAS (now hopefully dead in a loving fire), Isilon, and a bunch of one-off Linux/OpenIndiana/FreeBSD boxes, so we had a mixture of different vendor-specific tools, standard Linux utilities, and a bunch of client-side analysis we were doing. Understanding the user workloads was the first step. We dealt with a lot of the same applications between research groups (ABySS, Velvet, etc.), so we had a pretty good idea of how they were supposed to perform with different file formats. If someone's runs were taking abnormally wrong on the cluster, we'd start looking at storage latencies, access patterns, etc. Some file formats like HDF5 do well with random access, while others like FASTA generally work better when the whole thing is slurped into memory sequentially (though random access is possible if it's preprocessed with .fai or FASTQ indexes first). You want to stagger those sequential jobs so they aren't all doing their I/O from the same volume at the same time.

Most storage vendors don't give you very good insight into what the workload is doing on disk. Where we could, we relied a lot on ftrace and perf_events to see what was happening. Brendan Gregg has an awesome utility called iolatency that can give you a latency histogram sort of like VMware's vscsiStats. This is mostly useful once you've already reached the saturation point where your latencies plateau, and you want to figure out what's going on in the workload underneath. That helps you figure out stuff like, okay, should I be adding SSD caching, should I be adding more disks to serve reads, or should I look at replacing this whole volume with a RAID-10 or adding a massive fast ZIL to speed writes?

For some really insidious cases, we ended up trawling /proc/self/mountstats on each compute cluster node to get per-mount counters on each NFS operation. I actually wrote a Diamond mountstats collector to pull these numbers at 60-second intervals and forward them onto Graphite where they could be filtered, aggregated, and graphed -- this gave us a lot of really useful heuristic data on stuff like "how often is this job opening files?" and "does this application stream reads, or does it slurp everything in at start?" (We actually spotted a regression in SONAS's GPFS file locking behavior by diving deep into the performance characteristics associated with each specific NFS operation.)

PCjr sidecar posted:

Whenever we've gone down the ix/nexenta/tintri/(other zfs-derivative) route for quotes they always seem to be priced at 10% less than everyday netapp instead of the commodity plus 20% that id prefer to see. That may be an unrealistic expectation; ymmv.
This is also true when you're looking at Gluster, Lustre, Ceph, etc. I don't get it. The offering isn't bad, but these companies never provide you the global logistics and support of the big vendors, so people buying must either be clueless or pressing them down to discount levels way lower than I was ever able to get.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If you run your own storage on Linux, one other fun thing you can do when you're profiling applications is to use dm-delay, which allows you to insert I/O delays into the stream. This gives you a very easy and very reproducible path to see what happens to a specific workload when disk latency spikes.

e: for dynamically-linked binaries, you could probably do this for NFS by using LD_PRELOAD to override glibc's read and write functions with a wrapper that inserts local delays

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 31, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

This is also true when you're looking at Gluster, Lustre, Ceph, etc. I don't get it. The offering isn't bad, but these companies never provide you the global logistics and support of the big vendors, so people buying must either be clueless or pressing them down to discount levels way lower than I was ever able to get.
This has been my experience. And then on top of that you can't go out and hire a semi-decent storage engineer because there's fuckall install base.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adorai posted:

I just got a quote for two zfs appliances from Oracle, both fully licensed, both with 68 1.2tb disks and the associated SSDs for ZIL and l2arc for a fabulous price that I can't share, but trust me, it's low enough that it is worth looking into if you are looking at storage.
I get the feeling they've been giving those away for a long rear end time now. No real surprise since they've lost the whole "engineering" coat center I guess.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

This has been my experience. And then on top of that you can't go out and hire a semi-decent storage engineer because there's fuckall install base.
The terrible irony of storage: if you can't afford a storage engineer, you have to run a roll-your-own storage system.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

The terrible irony of storage: if you can't afford a storage engineer, you have to run a roll-your-own storage system.
Heh. TBH you can totally get by with consulting if you run bog-standard poo poo like we do. When we don't have the time to learn a new system we just call someone in and they do the install/setup while we peek over their shoulder and scrutinize their docs.

Whoever rolls their own because they "can't afford" an engineer 100% has a politics problem (you're paying the dude less, but he'll be busy forever).

When we take over other research groups/departments, we spend half our time just ripping out bullshit string and tape contraptions and replacing them with standard stuff that's maybe 50% more expensive on paper but in practice ends up with a 50% lower TCO because you just plonk it down and update it once in a while, and when it fails all you do is let the nerd with the spare through the door.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 31, 2017

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I will never run a SAN in production without a maintenance contract, period. If the company is willing to accept that risk, then it's time to find a new company.

At the job I just left, I migrated the data center to a colo space on a new SAN, but there was a 3 month period where the old SAN was out support and still running business critical applications, due to various delays. I still puckered anytime a disk failed in the old SAN, even though I had spare drives sitting on the shelf ready to go.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I haven't worked there in a good amount of time, but sure. I'm going to ignore general stuff on managing storage performance like keeping an eye on your device queue sizes, because there's plenty of good information out there already on that.

We ran a couple of different storage systems. BlueArc (now Hitachi HNAS), IBM SONAS (now hopefully dead in a loving fire), Isilon, and a bunch of one-off Linux/OpenIndiana/FreeBSD boxes, so we had a mixture of different vendor-specific tools, standard Linux utilities, and a bunch of client-side analysis we were doing. Understanding the user workloads was the first step. We dealt with a lot of the same applications between research groups (ABySS, Velvet, etc.), so we had a pretty good idea of how they were supposed to perform with different file formats. If someone's runs were taking abnormally wrong on the cluster, we'd start looking at storage latencies, access patterns, etc. Some file formats like HDF5 do well with random access, while others like FASTA generally work better when the whole thing is slurped into memory sequentially (though random access is possible if it's preprocessed with .fai or FASTQ indexes first).

Most storage vendors don't give you very good insight into what the workload is doing on disk. Where we could, we relied a lot on ftrace and perf_events to see what was happening. Brendan Gregg has an awesome utility called iolatency that can give you a latency histogram sort of like VMware's vscsiStats. This is mostly useful once you've already reached the saturation point where your latencies plateau, and you want to figure out what's going on in the workload underneath.

For some really insidious cases, we ended up trawling /proc/self/mountstats on each compute cluster node to get per-mount counters on each NFS operation. I actually wrote a Diamond mountstats collector to pull these numbers at 60-second intervals and forward them onto Graphite where they could be filtered, aggregated, and graphed -- this actually gave us a lot of really useful heuristic data on stuff like "how often is this job opening files?" and "does this application stream reads, or does it slurp everything in at start?" (We actually spotted a regression in SONAS's GPFS file locking behavior by diving deep into the performance characteristics associated with each specific NFS operation.)

Thanks; we're already pulling per-client NFS stats into Graphite but per-mount will be more useful; we've been looking server-side (perf, network, etc.) for usage information. Lustre's generic per-client stats aren't bad but I want to start using the jobstats feature to tag each in-flight IO with a job ID.

Brendan Gregg's book is good.

quote:

In our experience if you look at GB/s/$ Lustre is very difficult for NetApp/EMC to come close to, for sufficiently large values of GB/s. That's assuming your workload will actually run well on Lustre (or any other clustered FS); while it is POSIX-compliant it really isn't a general-purpose file system. Highly recommend a partner that has experience with Lustre and has a contract with Intel for L2/L3 support.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

devmd01 posted:

I will never run a SAN in production without a maintenance contract, period. If the company is willing to accept that risk, then it's time to find a new company.

At the job I just left, I migrated the data center to a colo space on a new SAN, but there was a 3 month period where the old SAN was out support and still running business critical applications, due to various delays. I still puckered anytime a disk failed in the old SAN, even though I had spare drives sitting on the shelf ready to go.

Yeah no poo poo. Servers these days are just the delivery boys and processing oomph for what the san delivers (If you are doing virtualization like a smart person). You could take a hammer to every server in my rack and I wouldn't flinch. I can recover. My SAN? Makes me pucker.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Servers these days are just the delivery boys and processing oomph for what the san delivers (If you are doing virtualization like a smart person). You could take a hammer to every server in my rack and I wouldn't flinch. I can recover. My SAN? Makes me pucker.
Someone on one of the mailing lists I am on mentioned starting a project to move off of physical servers and into virtualization. Yesterday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They'll be on the :yaycloud: by 2030 then!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Catalogic ECX: rough price? I'm reading something like $5k / controller?

I may be getting a client off tape forever :mmmhmm:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

They'll be on the :yaycloud: by 2030 then!

Its just someone else's server.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
RIP nimble... you were great. HPE is the loving worst they destroy everything they touch. It has already started, nimble canceled their guardians of the galaxies moving screening in my area. I can already smell the HPE stench all over this. I just hope they can keep their support at least half decent until our nimbles are EOL.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

tehfeer posted:

RIP nimble... you were great. HPE is the loving worst they destroy everything they touch. It has already started, nimble canceled their guardians of the galaxies moving screening in my area. I can already smell the HPE stench all over this. I just hope they can keep their support at least half decent until our nimbles are EOL.
Honestly, the movie poo poo is annoying anyway.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adorai posted:

Honestly, the movie poo poo is annoying anyway.

Free movies that you're not obligated to attend are annoying?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll take a short sales pitch for a free screening in a nice cinema

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

Free movies that you're not obligated to attend are annoying?
It's annoying that half my team wants the same day out of the office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tehfeer posted:

Client I'm working with bought Nimble for their AIX system, now I can't wait to see which way that goes...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really, really like Nimble's offerings and their integration with Veeam. It's a real shame they got bought by HPE because they were my #1 choice for hardware replacement coming up next year, but HPE ruins everything they touch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

loving robocopy is steadfastly refusing to copy security info and it's making my job way harder than it has to :<

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I really, really like Nimble's offerings and their integration with Veeam. It's a real shame they got bought by HPE because they were my #1 choice for hardware replacement coming up next year, but HPE ruins everything they touch.

What are you going to look at instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm really not sure. We're finally having a discussion internally on what we are going to do when this hardware comes up for renewal, whether continue maintaining our private cloud or go all-in on public cloud IaaS/SaaS. Hoping things will shake up a bit in the storage world before I have to make a decision, but quick, granular backups and replication is a huge selling point to me. Veeam is great but having a ~12 hour RPO (backups+replication) kind of sucks and I do not want to give our Veeam VMs read/write access to our VMFS formatted LUNs. Just sounds like a bad day waiting to happen.