Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Is U2F happening this year in Firefox? I've seen it in a few places on a road map and know that there are switches in about:config, but don't actually know when it will be finalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did 53.0.2 come with a performance boost or is it just patch placebo? Everything just seemed a bit snappier after the last update, like zooming GMaps 3D. Even the GIF thread scrolled smoothly for a full page, but started eating poo poo on the next. Still, it seems to be eating poo poo more smoothly than before.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ola posted:

Did 53.0.2 come with a performance boost or is it just patch placebo? Everything just seemed a bit snappier after the last update, like zooming GMaps 3D. Even the GIF thread scrolled smoothly for a full page, but started eating poo poo on the next. Still, it seems to be eating poo poo more smoothly than before.

I am noticing an improvement on this old laptop compared to plain 53, but plain old 53 crashed a lot on it. So I assume there was just some sort of bug that got patched.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well I think I've finally found the source of my problems with Firefox crashing when I do certain actions and the good news is that it doesn't seem to be Firefox's fault.

The bad news is that it all seems to stem from the Windows 10 Creator's update. Now that I've gone looking, I'm finding issues in several other programs - even good old notepad! - where they just crash to desktop when opening and saving files.

So I went and checked the image folders where I store the random poo poo I like and it has actually been just over a month since I downloaded any images, so that explains why I never noticed that particular behaviour until recently.

So, off to the Windows thread now to trawl for answers.

FML.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Marvel Heroes thread had someone post that the Win10 Creators thing was crashing the game for them, so yeah, I'm not surprised it's the cause of your problem, too.

Their fix was to delete the gigs of dump files Win10 made in the Steam directory, but I guess you didn't see any in your images directory, so that's not it for you. I hope it's a simple fix.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alereon posted:

(standard edition portable zip doesn't have anime or ads).

Thread title?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ola posted:

I noticed a big boost too, in loading new tab pages, and just general rendering speed. I came from v47, but only really upgraded because FF went into its yearly poo poo-mode, where everything was kinda sluggish and laggy, and no amount of restarting and disabling add-ons would work, so I upgraded.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I had an add-on or setting or something that minimized the url/button toolbar and my bookmarks toolbar so all you saw was the tab bar on top. Mouse-over shows the url but instead of the usual full width it drops down to the center with curved sides like the Australis tabs.

Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

e: and I had tweets load inline on SA but now they don't and I can't remember what I used to do that either :shrug:

e2: found the first thing it was called Beyond Australis

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 11, 2017

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The tweet thing is a forum feature that gets disabled if you have firefox's tracking protection enabled.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Even the soft version of Tracking Protection uses disconnect.me, without the option to turn off social media blocking (and you know they could do it if they wanted to because their iOS ad-blocker does).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dodoman posted:

The tweet thing is a forum feature that gets disabled if you have firefox's tracking protection enabled.

Oh yeah, thank you :tipshat:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I need a working add-on for saving all the images in a tab.

Or better yet, for saving all the images in all the open tabs in a single window.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Right click-->View Page Info -->Media
Sort by type, shift-select all the images and click the "Save As" button.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Firefox for Android question, is there a way to change the tab selection menu (not the new tab page, which all my Google searches seem to refer to :() back to the one row view? I really hate the new two row view.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Xander77 posted:

I need a working add-on for saving all the images in a tab.

Or better yet, for saving all the images in all the open tabs in a single window.

TGPs still exist???

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tamba posted:

Right click-->View Page Info -->Media
Sort by type, shift-select all the images and click the "Save As" button.
Something a bit more convenient?

~Coxy posted:

TGPs still exist???
No idea what that means.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

orcane posted:

Firefox for Android question, is there a way to change the tab selection menu (not the new tab page, which all my Google searches seem to refer to :() back to the one row view? I really hate the new two row view.

Is this on a phone or tablet and are you running a beta version? On my phone running 53.0.2 I still have the single column in the tab chooser screen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xander77 posted:

Something a bit more convenient?
No idea what that means.

Use DownThemAll!

You can switch it to either grab all images that are actually being displayed, or all files on links in the page (so on a page with a bunch of thumbnails that link to the larger images, it will get the larger images). It will only operate on one page at a time, but you can queue up the next page's downloads while the previous page's downloads are executing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

Is this on a phone or tablet and are you running a beta version? On my phone running 53.0.2 I still have the single column in the tab chooser screen.

53.0.2 and it's on a phone. Actually I found it, there's an option called "compact tabs" in settings/general, although I don't really know why it was suddenly enabled (or when it was added).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
So, here's a thing I can't figure out. Embedded Youtube videos, like what you might find, say, here on SA, lag my Firefox to hell and back, and not just when playing, I mean if they're there at all. If I close the offending tab it stops. Even in safe mode it still happens, as far as I can tell it's not a plug-in or add-on that's making this happen. I've started using Disconnect and it lets me get an idea what's going on but no idea how to solve it.

Basically, Google is sending infinite requests to me. The highest I've let it go is 70,000. It really will not stop and it basically destroys Firefox's performance altogether, it's like an instant memory leak or something. The weird thing is, it's only embedded video. I can watch videos on Youtube all day just fine aside from ublock no longer blocking video ads. Coincidentally, this started happening right around the time ads started leaking through ad blockers, so a few weeks/a month or so. Never used to have a problem with embedded until then.

Anyone got any clue what the gently caress and how to fix it? Because I don't. For the time being I've been using Disconnect to block Google content requests completely which keeps it from loving up but also makes it impossible to watch an embedded video without quoting someone to get the video's URL.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 16, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Disable embedded videos on SA, they'll get changed to just normal urls.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Greasemonkey script YouTube Link Title will still let you see the video name and shows a preview image of the video as well.

On my old computer, any time I opened a video heavy thread Firefox would start chugging. This fixed it while still allowing me to quickly see what the videos were.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SALR also does the youtube title thing (no preview image, but you can click the link to embed just that video) if you want it just on SA.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

astral posted:

SALR also does the youtube title thing (no preview image, but you can click the link to embed just that video) if you want it just on SA.

It's really great to just see the title and realize, no I don't want to embiggen this video. Good to know what it is but yeah.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
That does at solve the issue here but it still happens anywhere with embedded video. I guess just keep it blocked and at least I can get to whatever videos here.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Edit - nevermind!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2017

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm looking for a Firefox extension that will display the title of a Youtube video when I hover over the link, and maybe the description, given how often people just drop youtube links into posts without any context.

I found this one: Youtube Tooltip
but it is ancient and doesn't work.

This one does work: YouTube on Hover Preview
but it just starts playing the video in a pop-up which is a bit more than what I was looking for honestly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

I'm looking for a Firefox extension that will display the title of a Youtube video when I hover over the link, and maybe the description, given how often people just drop youtube links into posts without any context.

I found this one: Youtube Tooltip
but it is ancient and doesn't work.

This one does work: YouTube on Hover Preview
but it just starts playing the video in a pop-up which is a bit more than what I was looking for honestly.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Greasemonkey script YouTube Link Title will still let you see the video name and shows a preview image of the video as well.

5 posts above yours. :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But I can point out that if you comment out every line which starts with "embed:function" you prevent the script's popup player from launching.

So now you can play the video inline without a popup player starting as well, but still get the advantage of both the full title appearing and the thumbnail.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

But I can point out that if you comment out every line which starts with "embed:function" you prevent the script's popup player from launching.

So now you can play the video inline without a popup player starting as well, but still get the advantage of both the full title appearing and the thumbnail.

Oh drat, that's really useful to know! Thanks!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For some reason browser.showQuitWarning in about :config does absolutely nothing. The browser still instantly shuts down when I accidentally click the big red X.
Anyone knows what's up with that?

EDIT: In case I misunderstood what browser.showQuitWarning is supposed to do, is there any way to make Firefox ask me if I really want to close it when I accidentally click on the X?
Literally 9 times out of 10 I'm closing the whole browser without actually wanting to.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 23, 2017

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Are you talking about the confirmation pop-up when you are closing a window with several tabs? Cause that's handled by browser.tabs.warnOnClose

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bourricot posted:

Are you talking about the confirmation pop-up when you are closing a window with several tabs? Cause that's handled by browser.tabs.warnOnClose
Which is easily accessible here:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bourricot posted:

browser.tabs.warnOnClose is already True

Flipperwaldt posted:

Which is easily accessible here:

and my Options menu doesn't have that option for some reason?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Jack Trades posted:

browser.tabs.warnOnClose is already True

and my Options menu doesn't have that option for some reason?

Same. I don't see that option.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Y'all got any of them there tab extensions installed?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

xamphear posted:

Y'all got any of them there tab extensions installed?

Nothing like that from what I know.
I tried disabling all of my extensions and see if it changed anything. It didn't.

EDIT: Found the cause of the problem!

If "When Firefox starts:" set to "Show your windows and tabs from last time" then it won't ever ask you for confirmation when closing it.
Which is pretty dumb, if you ask me.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 23, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've run into a strange little situation with Firefox on a Mac. Ever since Firefox upgraded itself to 53.0.2, it launches the "Update Ready to Install" popup on every single startup, offering to upgrade itself again:

Hitting the Restart Firefox button does indeed restart the app, which brings this same box right back up, as many times as you please. (The funny part is that I've already manually upgraded to 53.0.3, and it's still offering 53.0.2.) This happens on both of the profiles that I have set up.

I've tried replacing the .app file (with the newer version), and also blowing away the ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox folder containing the profiles; neither one had any effect. Even turning off all Automatic Updates stuff in Preferences>Advanced->Updates dialog doesn't change it.

This obviously isn't a very big problem (all I have to do is hit the Restart Later button or move the dialog to the background), but it's a little annoying, and I'd like to get automatic updates unstuck. Does anyone know where Firefox keeps these files, and how I might clear the blockage?

Thanks.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like this has happened before, but while chatting on discord, the pages I was viewing in the background went black. restarted firefox, everything is fine. graphical error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spit on my clit posted:

I feel like this has happened before, but while chatting on discord, the pages I was viewing in the background went black. restarted firefox, everything is fine. graphical error?

Yeah sounds like a minor graphics driver glitch. If it starts happening more often, you might have an actual fault in the video card.