Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: ^^^^^ Yes, exactly.

How about we all stop giving a poo poo about these particulars that don't matter that much and just enjoy the show without being spergs about it? :colbert:

Forget it Jake, it's TVIV

Justin Credible posted:

Whiskey never tastes great.

...the gently caress?

precision fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Akumos posted:

Wait.. this showed is supposed to be in 2001-2002? What the gently caress? They really are expecting us to suspend a lot of disbelief with character appearances and basically nothing happening between the end of this show(I can't imagine it ends right before BB if it's that far back) and Walter meeting Gus on BB. Could easily see this show wrapping up in a season or two and ending in 2003-2004, so it seems weird to leave out the other like 6-7 years between the shows if that happens, unless we get some massive time skips here.. and not sure how we'd ever get the Walt cameo most people expect if it's that far back.

I continue to expect/hope that the last season of the show will be post-BB, and the season before that will be right before the time fade.

Fading the black & white intro into color would just work perfectly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would definitely watch a whole season of Cinnabon Tycoon 2017

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Just lollin at peeps taking legit offense and feel the need to defend literal poison that smells and feels like drinking a wood fire somewhere between balsa and those pressed sawdust pellets with rubbing alcohol as an accelerant. Goodness. I didn't even say it tasted bad, just never great. Okay at best. I even gave an example of liquor I have tried that wasn't garbage like whiskey.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who though Don Pratt instantly. Pretty much channeling the exact same energy just without the whiny tone.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

this is angel, not frasier. it's assumed to fully enjoy you have seen bb :colbert:

That didn't feel true of seasons 1 and 2, which is why I'm a bit disappointed now. BCS was my favorite show, but now it's getting harder to treat as potentially its own thing, to recommend on its own merits.

In any case, some of the Gus-centric scenes are just plain out of place. If you've seen BB, it's meaningless "hey remember this" stuff. If you haven't seen BB, then they suddenly tacked on a brand-new POV character without trying all that hard to first solidify his relevance to the ongoing story arcs -- why would you care yet that Drug Kingpin #2 is looking at real estate?

I've been waiting for them to tie Mike or Nacho back into Jimmy's life, but instead it feels more and more like two shows sharing an episode. "BCS is still my favorite show, though it's too bad they dropped some of the characters. I'm also enjoying Breaking Bad Season 6, which took a week off so BCS could have a full 47 minutes for episode 5."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Seconding the Gus scenes being way too "'member berries". It's just a hollow reference. Tell an actual story.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
These complaints are getting completely ridiculous. Does it really matter that drat much that we saw Gus buy an old lot and Lydia was there.

The show was still doing this sort of stuff from the very start unless everyone forgot Tuco being randomly brought into proceedings in episode one and then the twins showing up the next season. Additionally the pacing is so much better this season that I'd really have to recommend it over season 2, which really seemed to struggle at finding a real plot for the cast to follow, especially Jimmy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VagueRant posted:

Seconding the Gus scenes being way too "'member berries". It's just a hollow reference. Tell an actual story.

I don't agree about all of them, but the laundromat one certainly was unnecessary, unless Jimmy becomes involved in it. Maybe Gus hires him to do commercials for it.

khwarezm posted:

These complaints are getting completely ridiculous. Does it really matter that drat much

No man, it doesn't matter that drat much and I think most people would rather chill. It's Okay To Not Like Things. I doubt anyone here is

Justin Credible posted:

taking legit offense

and if they are, well, they need to chill too.

Everyone just chill. Life's too short my dudes.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It'd be nice if they paid it off like that, but I got doubts. All of the Gus stuff feels like filler to me.

khwarezm posted:

These complaints are getting completely ridiculous. Does it really matter that drat much that we saw Gus buy an old lot and Lydia was there.

The show was still doing this sort of stuff from the very start unless everyone forgot Tuco being randomly brought into proceedings in episode one and then the twins showing up the next season. Additionally the pacing is so much better this season that I'd really have to recommend it over season 2, which really seemed to struggle at finding a real plot for the cast to follow, especially Jimmy.
I haaaaaaaated the Tuco reveal at the end of the pilot because it seemed like this, but they made up for it by it leading to the scene of them in the desert with Jimmy negotiating down murder to some broken legs and that sequence is still one of the best arguments for the existence of this spinoff. (And works without the context of Breaking Bad!)

The big boring buildup to Gus served no real purpose and was, like, fake tension. Because a) we know Gus exists at this time. b) we know Gus is in season 3 of BCS because they revealed in season 2, and had advertising and press about it.

The setting up of the lab is a pretty long scene of a man poking around an empty building. It serves no more purpose to those of us who saw Breaking Bad as it does to people that haven't. I don't think the TV show I'm watching should waste my time with pointless scenes because that makes me NOT want to watch it? (And when it's moving, it's really good TV, so I care more about when it's bad.)

That was a little stream of consciousness-esque and now I feel bad.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I mean okay this drug guy who is playing a long game and in a battle with various elements in that world is scoping out a building, looking at something that tilts up and examining electricity components. And he gets into the car with someone and says something is moving forward. As a BB non-viewer (I'm not) it just seems like a more or less standard sort of mystery 'what are they up to' setup. Which I assume will have a payoff to the elements that were established, such as what he's looking to do with that space (they will, as I have seen BB).

No need to be terribly knee-jerky just because it might feel like a bunch of nods (it does, and is). Vince knows how to make a show with multiple layers. That's just one, the normal one of a setup and payoff and mystery to kind of mysterious, interesting characters is another.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't mind if a show that appears on the surface to be fan-servicey actually has very interesting characters and story and development but then actually does some fun pointless fan-servicey things once and a while.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

VagueRant posted:

I haaaaaaaated the Tuco reveal at the end of the pilot because it seemed like this, but they made up for it by it leading to the scene of them in the desert with Jimmy negotiating down murder to some broken legs and that sequence is still one of the best arguments for the existence of this spinoff. (And works without the context of Breaking Bad!)

I don't think so, that scene on its own is good but its not very well integrated into a wider story at all. Its main purpose is a rather melodramatic introduction of Nacho to Jimmy, and they probably could have gotten there without the Skateboards kids and the Abuelita and the Kidnapping. Tuco ends up being a glorified cameo and even though it looked like this was the beginnings of Jimmy's involvement in that Business it hasn't really been developed upon in three seasons. That scene seems increasingly superfluous and fanservice-y as time goes on, and I think its much more egregious than any of the Gus stuff so far. At the very least they've set up a clear plotline for Gus (and Mike, and Nacho) that presumably will get some payoff for the future.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The whole deal with Jimmy and the skateboarders and Tuco served a very clear point both in introducing us to our main character and nudging him into new elements.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was the Gus scene really that long? It felt like only a minute or two to me.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I don't mind if a show that appears on the surface to be fan-servicey actually has very interesting characters and story and development but then actually does some fun pointless fan-servicey things once and a while.

it's a prequel. it's not fan service to assume people have seen breaking bad. it is not a standalone show. it is a prequel.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's a prequel. it's not fan service to assume people have seen breaking bad. it is not a standalone show. it is a prequel.

The first two seasons functioned well as a standalone show.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ditocoaf posted:

it is a prequel. i know this is hard to understand, so i will keep repeating it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ditocoaf posted:

The whole deal with Jimmy and the skateboarders and Tuco served a very clear point both in introducing us to our main character and nudging him into new elements.

Leaving aside the fact that most viewers are fairly familiar with Jimmy and his shenanigans, the problem I have is that the whole sequence doesn't gel very well with the rest of the show and its overall direction. Early episodes in most TV shows lay down the core conflict and drive of the plot, Breaking Bad is obvious, by the end of episode one Walt is diagnosed with cancer, making meth and killing criminals, and all subsequent events cleanly follow on from the stuff we see in the first couple of episodes. By contrast a lot of the stuff that gets developed with the Tuco situation in BCS sort of ends there, Its kind of odd in retrospect. Jimmy hasn't gotten anywhere close to such a genuinely dangerous position again, most of his arc has been about much more tame lawyer and family matters. Jimmy's most significant dealings with the Cartel business between then and now was Nacho coercing him to prove his innocence. The skateboarders looked like they were being set up as secondary characters that would pop up every now and again a la Skinny Pete and Badger, but that was the last we saw of them and similarly Tuco looked like he was being set up to play a very important antagonistic role but he's only had one appearance since and instead that role's gone to Hector. The series as its happened so far barely changes if Jimmy never stumbled into Tuco's living room and tonally the stuff we've seen since is quite far from what we saw there, the whole thing never sat well with me as a result.

I think that whole scenario was created less because it was really important to the plot and characters but because it made it easy for Breaking Bad fans to settle in to the new series. We got an action packed, dramatic opener with lots of mischief from the title character and the appearance of a long dead but well remembered character that was clearly massaging people's nostalgia with more than a little fanservice. Its not bad by any means but I think it was a lot more cynical than any of the stuff we've seen recently.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm really dense. I didn't put it together that Jimmy was Slippin' Jimmy until they literally spelled it out much later in the season.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ditocoaf posted:

Not really. Who would watch a show about lawyers and meandering low stakes drama unless they knew with a certainty that it was going to some place fun and exciting? I can't imagine someone sticking with it if they didn't know about Saul and didn't know Mike was going to be involved with a big drug empire.

Thank god for Gus and Hector.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's literally no reason to watch this show aside from seeing how he turns into the guy from the other show.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Well I hate people who do the whole "haaaaaaaated" thing. I mean jeez, "hate" is a strong enough word already.

Cojawfee posted:

There's literally no reason to watch this show aside from seeing how he turns into the guy from the other show.

Aside from the fact that it's really good and entertaining?

But I can actually empathize with the people who get frustrated at the Mike (and now Gus) subplots taking up time that could be spent on Jimmy's story instead. Sometimes I just want to see more of Jimmy too. But then Mike does something really cool or Hector totally steals yet another scene and it makes me glad the show is the way it is.

e: Oh yeah, and I'm also really glad Rebecca finally came out and said what I've been saying for a long time: Chuck is mentally ill and Jimmy isn't, so it was always on Jimmy to take the moral high ground and stop making the situation worse even in the face of Chuck's antagonism.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 18, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cnut the Great posted:

e: Oh yeah, and I'm also really glad Rebecca finally came out and said what I've been saying for a long time: Chuck is mentally ill and Jimmy isn't, so it was always on Jimmy to take the moral high ground and stop making the situation worse even in the face of Chuck's antagonism.

Only to a point. Past that point, why should Jimmy sacrifice his life to Chuck's mental illness?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really get why she was being so lovely about Jimmy not wanting to help Chuck. She was in the room, she heard all the things Jimmy did for Chuck. Not to mention it would be very bad for Jimmy to go badger Chuck immediately after his deferment from breaking in, not to mention that bar hearing. It should have been pretty clear that Jimmy is the one person in the world who doesn't owe Chuck anything.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really get why she was being so lovely about Jimmy not wanting to help Chuck. She was in the room, she heard all the things Jimmy did for Chuck. Not to mention it would be very bad for Jimmy to go badger Chuck immediately after his deferment from breaking in, not to mention that bar hearing. It should have been pretty clear that Jimmy is the one person in the world who doesn't owe Chuck anything.

I'd be shocked if there's not a no contact order attached to his probation. I'd stay the hell away from someone who'd pressed charges of me regardless to avoid even the appearance of harassment.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'd be shocked if there's not a no contact order attached to his probation. I'd stay the hell away from someone who'd pressed charges of me regardless to avoid even the appearance of harassment.

Plus, I wouldn't think that having Jimmy show up could have any possible outcome short of further disaster. I mean, how does Rebecca really expect Chuck to react if Jimmy goes over there?

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 18, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Only to a point. Past that point, why should Jimmy sacrifice his life to Chuck's mental illness?

Not going to extreme and elaborate measures to gaslight his sick brother in order to get back a client he legitimately poached from his girlfriend is not the same thing sacrificing his life to Chuck's mental illness.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Sure, but we all know the real reason he doesn't want to go over there is because he just doesn't give a poo poo about Chuck's well-being anymore and would be perfectly content to just let him rot to death in his house. And it's easy to understand why Jimmy feels that way, but it doesn't make it right.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 18, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Plus, I wouldn't think that having Jimmy show up could have any possible outcome short of further disaster. I mean, how does Rebecca really expect Chuck to react if Jimmy goes over there?

exactly. maybe he should explicitly say "I can't risk my freedom to support Chuck's neurosis anymore" but JFC

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Not going to extreme and elaborate measures to gaslight his sick brother in order to get back a client he legitimately poached from his girlfriend is not the same thing sacrificing his life to Chuck's mental illness.

Sure, but we all know the real reason he doesn't want to go over there is because he just doesn't give a poo poo about Chuck's well-being anymore and would be perfectly content to just let him rot to death in his house. And it's easy to understand why Jimmy feels that way, but it doesn't make it right.

Did you miss the part where Jimmy was actually sacrificing his life to help his brother?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cnut the Great posted:

Did you miss the earlier seasons? Chuck's consumed years of Jimmy's life.

quote:

it's easy to understand why Jimmy feels that way, but it doesn't make it right.

It does because Chuck's not entitled to the life of his sibling.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

Except as far as Rebecca knows, Jimmy didn't do any of that poo poo and Chuck's just mentally ill and obsessive about how he could never make a mistake when it was one after Magna Carta and Jimmy defecated through a sunroof. Her position is basically "Holy poo poo, Jimmy, please help me help your brother," and Jimmy's position is not even "him seeing me now could only make things worse for him," which is a line of reasoning I'd think she'd accept, it's "I don't care lol."
Like I am convinced that Rebecca could have came to the office and told Jimmy Chuck hung himself and Jimmy would have just kept drinking champagne from a coffee cup.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

exactly. maybe he should explicitly say "I can't risk my freedom to support Chuck's neurosis anymore" but JFC

He actually did allude to that, but that clearly wasn't the main thing on his mind. The main thing he's feeling in that scene is "gently caress Chuck, I'm out for myself from now on."

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in this thread are going to be at a real loss as to how to feel going forward in this season, as it looks right now like Jimmy is set to become increasingly more of a self-serving jerk even as Chuck comes to terms with the fact that his illness is all in his head and becomes a more self-aware, sympathetic character.

e:

Cojawfee posted:

Did you miss the part where Jimmy was actually sacrificing his life to help his brother?

That's not what has Chuck holed away in his house at that moment going through a mental health crisis. It's the fact that Jimmy gaslighted him, committed a felony, humiliated him in front of a panel of his professional peers, and managed to convince everyone that he was a babbling lunatic when he was in fact the one telling the actual truth--all while Jimmy gets off with what is basically a slap on the wrist. Obviously Chuck has his own share of responsibility for all the indignities that have been visited upon him, but that doesn't mean Jimmy gets to be absolved of his own share of personal responsibility for the extremely poor choices he's made.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 18, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Not being able to work for a year in your chosen profession is a "slap on the wrist" to you?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
To be fair, according to my recollection Chuck at one point explicitly refers to a suspension as a 'slap on the wrist', so that's his point of view.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, yeah, Jimmy's a bastard and so's Kim for lying in court about a felony, but on the other hand, gently caress the way HHM treated Kim, gently caress the way Chuck treated Jimmy, and a big wag of my finger to Rebecca for believing, based on what she thinks she knows, that Jimmy should go over to Chuck's place and help him, when literally nothing good could possibly come of that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I mean, yeah, Jimmy's a bastard and so's Kim for lying in court about a felony, but on the other hand, gently caress the way HHM treated Kim, gently caress the way Chuck treated Jimmy, and a big wag of my finger to Rebecca for believing, based on what she thinks she knows, that Jimmy should go over to Chuck's place and help him, when literally nothing good could possibly come of that.

Congratulations on the run-on-half-sentence award.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Even if you didn't understand the laundromat reference, it's still heavy foreshadowing of something that's presumably getting addressed in the future. Why is this drug trafficker trying to buy this industrial building? Who is this woman in the car with him? Let's find out!

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

That shot with Huell was communicating was that he wasn't just some random guy that Chuck bumped into, but likely the man that Jimmy had hired at the episode's beginning and foreshadowed the scam that made up that episode's climax.

It is also "Here's some Breaking Bad fanservice" if you recognize the actor, but the shot and Huell's inclusion served a purpose naturally in the story beyond just being that.

EDIT: To put it another way, if the character they had used HADN'T been Huell, the formal choices still would have made sense in that scene with Chuck in the hallway.

Also Breaking Bad established Huell as a master pickpocket, because he was the one that stole the ricin cigarette off Jesse for walt. When they mentioned a heavy guy, it telegraphed, for me anyway, that Huell was the guy, and the lingering shot was the payoff of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The show is compelling because all the characters are so complicit in the events that are taking place. No one comes away clean. I understand why this thread is pro-Jimmy and I'm cheering for him myself. But regarding Jimmy taking care of Chuck, Jimmy had been enabling his mental illness for some time.

e. I mean, Chuck obviously loves being served. That scene with the whiskey was so spot on. He expects people to mince and cowtow.

• Locked thread