Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Hey everyone.

I'm here cause I care or I'm full blown gay or whatever. Let's talk about the absurd qualities that win fights here. I think it could help some people. Otherwise, let's stick to our thread topics.

I think Askren has an intangible people can't pin down. I'd like to talk about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
My favorite absurd qualities that win fights are knockouts, followed by submissions.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

beggar posted:

My favorite absurd qualities that win fights are knockouts, followed by submissions.

What made Fedor good at that and what made Fedor bad at that? I want your opinion, not a link. Unless it's funny.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Who?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Word.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
What the hell is the point of this thread?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I'm not sure what's happening here, but I assume Tim Elliot fits.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Cyber Dog posted:

I'm not sure what's happening here, but I assume Tim Elliot fits.

does the elephant man ever break free and start an internet thread? never seen the movie. if he did, it would be this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm pretty sure he's wanting to talk about strategic things relating to fights. A thread dedicated to fight breakdowns, analysis, and discussion.

This would, :ofcourse:, be assisted by a larger opening. In the interest of furthering the discussion, here's BJJ Scout's breakdown of some Ben Askren stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO1kS8wmP2Y

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

does the elephant man ever break free and start an internet thread? never seen the movie. if he did, it would be this

the bad thing about arguing with elephant man on the internet is that he never forgets

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Captain Log posted:

What made Fedor good at that and what made Fedor bad at that? I want your opinion, not a link. Unless it's funny.

racism is what made fedor really good at that, but the thing that made fedor bad at that was all the racism

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

racism is what made fedor really good at that, but the thing that made fedor bad at that was all the racism

he also had really good timing to duck josh barnett

and really good hips to dodge fighting josh barnett and instead fight a kid what got turned into an adult via a cursed fortune telling machine

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I'm running the moneyballs on MMA

I'm still crunching data, but according to my research so far, the best strategy is to be Travis Fulton

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That's what this thread is for. That stare.

Do any of you guys use a heuristic approach to picking fights? I fundamentally cannot do well at MMA and blow other sports sky high.

Probably the punching.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

the bad thing about arguing with elephant man on the internet is that he never forgets

Literally. I got "diagnosed" with a photographic memory because of the grappling thread. . Everything here feels like a light hearted conversation to me. I like that vibe.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

this is what cage fighting is right

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I remember hearing somewhere about a sport called bangarang. Basically it's bareknuckle boxing bu tyou're only allowed to hit people in the head. Did I make this up? Like is this a thing?

Also, is there a kind of fighting where only headbutting is allowed? I'd watch that.

Thanks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Cavauro posted:

I remember hearing somewhere about a sport called bangarang. Basically it's bareknuckle boxing bu tyou're only allowed to hit people in the head. Did I make this up? Like is this a thing?

Also, is there a kind of fighting where only headbutting is allowed? I'd watch that.

Thanks

You're looking for something called "Ultimate Surrender", check it out

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cavauro posted:

Thanks

Chuck Liddell was way more drugged out than I've been in my life, since I quit drinking years ago. If the forums are too thin that's not my fault. Sometimes laughing is the bravest because life is actually way more stupid than this slice of real estate. You just need to know a bad investment.

Did anyone worth a good God drat come out of that Russian hobo fighting are whatever they call a skirmish fighting in Russia. Isn't Russian MMA about as open human cockfighting as a country can get? Seems like the one place that would pay for that skill. I think old stupid videos are important right now.

If I ever figure out how to Roidtech a fight, you guys will be the first to see me get headkicked in person. I appreciate that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I love this place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Man the No Retreat, No Surrender series took a weird turn....

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Teruto Ishihara is an exciting prospect who lost a fight with T. rex when he was asked to tone down his horniness in interviews

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SquirrelGrip posted:

Teruto Ishihara is an exciting prospect who lost a fight with T. rex when he was asked to tone down his horniness in interviews

I have real poo poo working knowledge of the Japan part of that era. Worth a watch?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Teruto Ishihara trains with Team Alpha Male.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sometimes I worry about you being very dense, but I also forget your brain is real broken, almost as bad as the rest of your joints.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Captain Log posted:

I have real poo poo working knowledge of the Japan part of that era. Worth a watch?

I'd say watch Ishihara vs Erosa from 196 and vs Guitierrez from Some Fight Night insteas

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Hey everyone.

I'm here cause I care or I'm full blown gay or whatever. Let's talk about the absurd qualities that win fights here. I think it could help some people. Otherwise, let's stick to our thread topics.

I think Askren has an intangible people can't pin down. I'd like to talk about that.

Ben has good cardio and is excellent in scrambles. He is good and experienced in situations/positions that most people don't spend a lot of time training. I don't know what his intangibles would be

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Ben pledges allegiance to the funk of the united funk of funkadelica. That's the grappling version of having footwork like cruz.
I don't know anyone here OP but I've seen over time that you know your fencing and that lately you're interested in Danaher as a coach.
I've seen you express interest in modern day knight fights like M1 Medieval too, so I think maybe you should look into coaching some fencing.
It's a way to keep a foot in the water you can't swim in anymore, and who would want to get slashed, rofl, in the helm for a living?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Chillanese posted:

Ben pledges allegiance to the funk of the united funk of funkadelica. That's the grappling version of having footwork like cruz.
I don't know anyone here OP but I've seen over time that you know your fencing and that lately you're interested in Danaher as a coach.
I've seen you express interest in modern day knight fights like M1 Medieval too, so I think maybe you should look into coaching some fencing.
It's a way to keep a foot in the water you can't swim in anymore, and who would want to get slashed, rofl, in the helm for a living?

Did the brain worm that took over Log get you too?

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

Did the brain worm that took over Log get you too?

I don't know him 0.o that's not nice. I posted that because of his brain worm or whatever the story is.
He knows fencing and he's been asking about coaching vs competing so it's like hey man maybe coach some fencing.
I have no idea what the Askren question was so I just said something about funk being a codeword for being a professional spaz.
That's my fight theory for this very important thread.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

RIP fatherdog

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I don't know if this is fight theory or just masturbatory pontificating, but I kinda like some of this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzfzm-9n_Fo

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its masturbatory pontificating by some guy who probably never trained to be halfway good at something in his life .. that kind of thing is just a delusionary narrative on the part of the audience, or the promotion selling fights, or the fighters themselves like in the case of some ecuadorian (unsure) submission artist i saw in some fight night card over a year ago, who was fighting to get his kid out of poverty, his kid had some kind of disease or something. i believe he got submitted after having a point taken from him for grabbing the fence a bunch. if only he loved his kid more maybe he would have won, right? its really because the other guy was better than him though.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
99% of the intangible mental stuff people talk about is dumb as hell, at least at the UFC level, because nobody reaches that point without being really psychologically suited for the fight game. There are only a few people who I've seen in the UFC in the past few years who I think just aren't fighters at heart. Anthony Johnson is one. He made it to the very top on sheer talent but really didn't have the mental game to be a fighter and would basically crumble when his opponents managed to fight back. Or maybe he did, I don't know the man and I've never done anything like what he has.

I wouldn't actually bet on a fight based on "Anthony Johnson has no heart", though the no heart factor might have contributed to things like him fading and not fighting back after long grappling exchanges.

Most psychological things about fighters tend to be more related to adjustment/fight IQ. Like I think Vitor tends to just quit 7 minutes into a fight because he's never really developed a Plan B beyond "murder this guy with lots of punches". Or more generally, front runners who fall apart when things don't work are just experiencing a failure of fight IQ. Someone like Matt Brown has a "lot of heart" because he's used to getting in a lot of trouble early in fights and gutting it out to win anyway. Erick Silva's early fight career was just him murking guys, so he didn't really have an answer when he fought less naturally gifted guys like Fitch and Brown who just kept getting up after he hurt them bad.

basically you can make judgments about fight IQ and durability, but not about heart

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Guys. It's time for some game theory.

The optimal solution is a Nash equilibrium where two fighters have a fair fight and are both motivated to win the fight. I contend that this can only be accomplished when each fighter has a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God did not make all men equal, but Samuel Colt did.

• Locked thread