Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Ashex posted:

I'm 100% certain they're not the stock pads as the guy told me he had changed them but I can't remember the name (I got these 5 years ago). If the MSR7 pads don't work out (which I hope they will) I may just jump for Beyerdynamic pads as I've heard about people using those.

If the MSR7 pads don't work out but you're still keen on the headphones themselves try some Brainwavz HM5 protein leather (or lambskin, whatever you prefer).

HM5s fit extremely well on the MSR7, which is something I had to do when the stock pads were too small for my ears. Would recommend non-angled pads though unless you have Prince Charles ears and need the extra depth - assuming the drivers in your Sonys behave the same with regards to how distance to ear affects the presentation.

(then again if you don't mind losing some bass impact and want more sound stage, get angled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got the m1060s in today and I've only had an hour to test them out but I'm very satisfied with it. Powered adequately by my laptop ((though I'll still try it out later with my FiiO E11), gets a bit warm but it was a high of 90 today so that was probably a factor. The band does feel a bit fragile but the cups are solid.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Budget - $200-$300
Source - PC. I usually use a little USB sound DAC but I can use my motherboard, which I think has a good DAC, or an external DAC if that is better bang for the buck.
Isolation Requirements - No, although if it doesn't impact the decision much it wouldn't hurt as my wife sometimes watches TV and our computer room and living room are open and adjacent.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, I guess specifically Full Size, Circumaural.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Mostly for gaming, so I assume balanced or slightly bass heavy?
Past Headphones - Currently Sennheiser PC 320 "G4ME". I like them quite a bit. Not too heavy, very comfortable and I think they have good sound quality but wanted to see what else is out there. Previous Sennheriser PC 151, which were decent but not as good. If I'm listening to music out and about I usually prefer IEMs like Sennheiser CX 300B MK II, Sennheiser CX 2(or 3?) or Symphonized NRG.
Preferred Music - Not really for music, but when it is usually some flavor of rock or electronic.

I'm really not super disappointed by my current Sennheiser PC 320 "G4ME" headphones but I have some spending money and was wondering what else was out there. I'd like to separate out my mic and my headset as it sounds like I can get better quality headphones that way, so if anyone has mic suggestions as well I'd love to hear them. I do use a mechanical keyboard at home so it would have to be something close to my mouth or something that has good directional pickup or whatever fanciness.

Thanks goons!

I'm sure this is a super boring question for this thread but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sure this is a super boring question for this thread but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

NewFatMike posted:

The 50X have bass boost, which is fine if you prefer bass, but it kind of pulls them out of reference territory. I believe build and quality are all the same, but the 50X charges you $30+ for the bass boost.

Have only had the 40X, so that's just what I've learned from reading around, someone here may have more experience.

They didn't quote your question but I'm pretty sure it was directed at you. It's good advice too.

To use more longhand it's the Audio Technica ATH-M40X / M50X.

If you want "all the above but also brighter" then you want the ATH-MSR7 but it carries a significantly higher price. All of them can be pad swapped easily if you're into that or want to improve comfort.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, I totally missed that that was directed to me. Thank you both for the suggestions!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Honestly, you should just get the monoprice M1060. They have some design quirks, but you can live with them. They handily compete with $800, ultra-nerd boutique headphones, there's nothing else even remotely comparable at $300.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I need to just sell all my headphones other than these Audio Technica AD700Xs. Nothing else I have tried comes close to making me as happy.

edit: or buy a higher end model, but dunno what I would get for it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 20, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The hardest part is figuring out your own personal apex of comfort and sound signature. Also isolation if you want that.

The worst part is listening to stuff you really like and hearing all the flaws in the mastering.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks again for the continued suggestions everyone. It seems like the M1060 is a good choice, but I am concerned about the weight. I can't do wireless headphones because of the weight and am worried 500g may be too heavy. Can anyone who has used them speak to that? Because that's really my only hangup on pulling the trigger.

Looking at other, lighter choices:
ATH-M50x
ATH-AD700X (should I just do the M50x instead?)
ATH-MSR7BK
AKG Pro Audio K702
and maybe Sennheiser HD 598?

Specifically for gaming, do any of these stand out? Most are half the weight (~250g) of the M1060. Should I just try to M1060s and see if the weight isn't a problem? Otherwise I was leaning towards the AKG Pro Audio K702 or ATH-MSR7BK.

Thanks again. Audio stuff always scares me. Whole lot of bullshit out there.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If the suspension system is as well executed as the M560, it won't really feel like you're wearing anything at all. Monoprice has a really solid return policy, too IIRC.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NewFatMike posted:

If the suspension system is as well executed as the M560, it won't really feel like you're wearing anything at all. Monoprice has a really solid return policy, too IIRC.

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all! Nothing at all! Nothing at all!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, sold. I'll post about how just I love them shortly. :)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

grack posted:

Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all! Nothing at all! Nothing at all!

~winces~ Stupid sexy grack!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
sony xb50's or xb80's?

the 50's are kinda bulky, which is the one thing I'm leaning against, but reviews say they're surprisingly comfortable for how bulky they are, but at even more bulky than soundsports, i'm iffy on them. Reviews on the 70's say they're a little too bass heavy.

I have a 70% off coupon, so i was curious which would be preferred. Or I can do one of the xb over the ear ones, but i'm planning on using them for biking, and don't like closed back over the ear since i can't hear traffic. I could get the xb80's too, but as someone who wears a walkie earpiece at work, the back of my ear is always sore after work, so i really don't want something behind my ear like that. There's only a $5 difference between the 50's and the 70's, and i don't mind the neckband part.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a headset or headphones + mic that I can use to play games and still hear my wife across the house yelling for me, so open-back or whatever. I still want it not to pick up the noise of my ceiling fan. What do I buy?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I got a pair of LZ-ZO3As because I needed to get something cheap that shipped with Prime delivery just before I was set to travel, and I actually like them a lot. They're lightweight and comfortable, and are fun. Good choice for $23.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking for a pair of IEMs that can stand up to gym abuse. Been using a cheap pair that have lasted forever but I'm ready for better sound quality. I've had previous pairs die when the cable got messed up so a replaceable cable would be nice. Budget is around 100 I guess, maybe more?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Looking for a pair of IEMs that can stand up to gym abuse. Been using a cheap pair that have lasted forever but I'm ready for better sound quality. I've had previous pairs die when the cable got messed up so a replaceable cable would be nice. Budget is around 100 I guess, maybe more?

Imo for gym use a good bet is to go Bluetooth.

I've been using my Powerbeats for well over a year every day at the gym with no issues.

You can get the Powerbeats 3 for around 129.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Imo for gym use a good bet is to go Bluetooth.

I've been using my Powerbeats for well over a year every day at the gym with no issues.

You can get the Powerbeats 3 for around 129.

Really? The Amazon reviews are not too great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Reviews seem fine on Amazon.

[Edit: Actually, looks like they were good at one point but you're right all the current reviews are terrible.]

I'm not a big gym person but I've been happy with my Plantronics BackBeat Fits for when I do go.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 24, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I don't know what's up with the amazon reviews. Mine have held up great but that's just me.

The backbeats are great for the gym but IMO they really don't sound that great but that's probably mostly because they are more open then all the other IEMs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I think they're open because they're meant to be used while biking or running outdoors so you can maintain situational awareness.

My wife and I both have pairs and use them for biking and they've been great.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

Yeah I think they're open because they're meant to be used while biking or running outdoors so you can maintain situational awareness.

My wife and I both have pairs and use them for biking and they've been great.
Yeah, I love mine for running and cycling too.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'd definitely like more closed headphones. I don't want to hear the music at the gym at all. Not going to use them outside at all.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I don’t know what I’m doing!

Budget – Up to $300
Source – Phone, occasionally PS4
Isolation Requirements – Very important
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, Full Size, Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - None
Past Headphones - Skullcandy IMEs
Preferred Music – I won’t notice the difference with the garbage I listen to

I’m currently using IMEs around 6 hours a day and my ear canals are killing me. I’d like to step up to a fully encompassing unit for comfort and above all isolation. Bluetooth would be nice as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Springfield Fatts posted:

I don’t know what I’m doing!

Budget – Up to $300
Source – Phone, occasionally PS4
Isolation Requirements – Very important
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, Full Size, Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - None
Past Headphones - Skullcandy IMEs
Preferred Music – I won’t notice the difference with the garbage I listen to

I’m currently using IMEs around 6 hours a day and my ear canals are killing me. I’d like to step up to a fully encompassing unit for comfort and above all isolation. Bluetooth would be nice as well.

ATH-M40X with ZMF oval cowhide earpads.
(since you emphasized comfort and isolation)

It's fifty USD for the earpads and whatever bargain you get the M40s for so you should have decent change.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I hope this is the right thread. My PC audio is really staticky so I'm in the market for a USB dac. Needs to have a dial to adjust the volume and bonus points for both a 3.5mm output and a 1/4inch(?) one for my small speaker and headphones (not necessary since I assume I can use a splitter of some kind).

Edit: Changed input to output.

Previously I used a FiiO E9/7 combo. The 7 died so I just used the E9 as a volume knob for my pc which works alright but the constant loud static is really starting to bug me.

My headphones are HD598s.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 25, 2017

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Micca Origen+ has both of those inputs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I second the Micca Origen+

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Virtue posted:

I hope this is the right thread. My PC audio is really staticky so I'm in the market for a USB dac. Needs to have a dial to adjust the volume and bonus points for both a 3.5mm output and a 1/4inch(?) one for my small speaker and headphones (not necessary since I assume I can use a splitter of some kind).

Edit: Changed input to output.

Previously I used a FiiO E9/7 combo. The 7 died so I just used the E9 as a volume knob for my pc which works alright but the constant loud static is really starting to bug me.

My headphones are HD598s.

I've talked a lot about my Asus Xonar 7.1 in this thread, and I'll keep recommending it. It's been a huge upgrade over onboard Audio in every computer I've tried it on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Can't speak for strictly USB audio because I love me some self powered DAC/Amp combos but I have read that the Schiit Fulla 2 is pretty good and it has a volume knob.

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Also the price is pretty nice if you don't need more power.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

How do DT -770s compare to M560s? I use the former at work and looking for a comfy closed back set to use at home for games and movies. I love the comfort of the DT770s and might just buy another pair for home but I'm always curious to try new things.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

How do DT -770s compare to M560s? I use the former at work and looking for a comfy closed back set to use at home for games and movies. I love the comfort of the DT770s and might just buy another pair for home but I'm always curious to try new things.

I haven't used either but I've read both are good. Maybe try the M560s for a different sound signature (plus planar are always fun if you want different) and see how you like them?

Flip a coin or see what the best deal is really. No bad choices.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Haven't tried the DT 770, but the M560 is genuinely a great pair of cans. You don't need anything special to drive them, and they sound great.

Earpads may be a little small for some folks, but I've got no trouble wearing them for hours on end. They're really fabulous for everyday use.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My M1060s got delivered but I'm out of town for the next few days. :eng99:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you tell me your address I'll make sure they're safe.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure it's in a package locker, so at least there's that, but ugh. The countdown until I can get home and try the new headphones going to be rough.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I just lost my Sennheiser IE8's after owning them for like 8 years, and I'm really bummed but I had been thinking about upgrading soon, so I guess this is the universe's way of saying it's time to buy something.

I liked the IE8's but I'm sure there's better nowadays, any recommendations in the 300-600 range similar to the IE8's?

Edit: I'll answer more questions if this helps

Budget - 300-600 (will MAYBE consider a bit more if absolutely worth it but would rather not)
Source - iphone and macbook pro for the most part
Isolation Requirements - Not really but im open to both.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Never really had over the ear before, I usually use IEM's because I like them more lightweight and portable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - A balance, I like detail
Preferred Music - Classic rock, electronic, pop,

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 27, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I finally decided to purchase the Audeze LCD3s and they are wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Anyone have recommendations for a decent amp to drive AKG 701s? I've had a Millet Starving Student for 8 or 10 years now and I think it's given up the ghost. I don't get any audio from the right side. I'd like to spend less than $200. Any ideas?