Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do driving suits expire? My friend is trying to recruit new for Lemons/ Chumpcar and I would love to not buy a new suit. I think mine is SFI 3.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
No but from what I've seen, tech doesn't like it if you've avoided washing it long enough that it's probably flammable from being dirty. There was this one guy...

3.2A1, A5 or what?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Drove my e30 tuned fiesta at Waterford raceway today. Some buddies rented the track and there were maybe 5 cars total on the track at any given time. Perfect weather and group to do my first track day with.

Stock all seasons on the fist were singing some songs! I need some real summer tires. I ran the entire track in 3rd and uses 4th on the two straights. Very tight track, longest straight I hit 85-90 mph I think.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Signed up for both days at Inde Motorsports Ranch, May 27/28.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A Volkswagen dealership is like the perfect place to do pulls. You're definitely sure you're never going to hit anyone.

e: is that a loving routan

e: e: the TL front end looks better than I could have imagined.

Hah, my friend is a mechanic at the dealer. It's awesome, the owner is super into racing. Has mk5 with a golf R motor that makes 320hp/380ft-lb, and an older mk3 ITB car.

And it's an EL front end, :canada:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Just signed up for my first ever track day. HPDE June 17th-18th at NJMP. Is anyone else going to that event? Would love to meet up with some people.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Just signed up for my first ever track day. HPDE June 17th-18th at NJMP. Is anyone else going to that event? Would love to meet up with some people.

See you there! '92 sunburst with the perpetual left arm giving point-by. What are you gonna be driving? Sold the miata?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Partial Octopus posted:

Lots of goons going to this one. #3 silver WRX, probably next to the #45 black STI. Come throw things at us.

whyfeel
May 20, 2004
Anyone going to Buttonwillow June 10th? Only 135$ if you sign up this week with https://www.ongridtrack.com. I'll be there with my 280zx.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

All being well I should be going to my first PDX this Sunday at Homestead Speedway and I'm pretty excited. Hoping I don't mess it up too bad.

Anyone ever use a racing sim to prepare for a track? It's not that crazy a thing to do right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

whyfeel posted:

Anyone going to Buttonwillow June 10th? Only 135$ if you sign up this week with https://www.ongridtrack.com. I'll be there with my 280zx.

Hmmm, prices look good. I'm going to add these events to my calendar for later this year.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

net work error posted:

All being well I should be going to my first PDX this Sunday at Homestead Speedway and I'm pretty excited. Hoping I don't mess it up too bad.

Anyone ever use a racing sim to prepare for a track? It's not that crazy a thing to do right?

It will help you get a solid knowledge of the tracks layout so no corners will be a total surprise but that's about it. Sims only give feedback visually and through the wheel if you have a ffb one. Actually driving on the track will be a much more physical experience.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I'm trying to install my 6pt schroth 3" bolt-in harnesses in my e30 and the instructions are sparse on details as far as hardware goes

Do I need a special type of bolt to make this attachment to the lap belt and the anti sub belt?

I'm using vac Motorsports mounts:

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-floor-mount-adapter-for-bmw-e30-p2847.aspx

with their anti sub belt attachment:

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-harness-anti-sub-mounting-bracket-p2106.aspx

and lap belt attachments:

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-lap-belt-mounting-bracket-kit-p2303.aspx

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 21, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I found you can buy Sparco poo poo directly from sparco.it and it's stupidly cheap compared to the US. There was a coupon code floating around for 15% off but it literally expired last week.
A single Sparco Evo costs about $710 shipped. Two cost $1300 shipped.

Still not a bad price, considering they are $800 MSRP in the US. Anyone know of somewhere cheaper and in the US?

Edit: holy gently caress, murray motorsport is $539.55 SHIPPED for an Evo.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 21, 2017

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I survived my first track day and now I'm really good at pointing people by.

About how long would you guys say it takes for it to be safe to leave put the parking brake on again?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I could probably do something like 650 shipped on an evo, but not 540. But are you sure that's all it will be? No duty, extra delivery fees added on at the end?

I feel like it's good to have those head side bolster things on a seat though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 22, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, the Ergo has the removable containment wings. I wonder how those fare in a incident. I would also prefer a containment seat, but space is limited in the S2000.

Unsure on duty, but no more delivery fees.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

net work error posted:

I survived my first track day and now I'm really good at pointing people by.

About how long would you guys say it takes for it to be safe to leave put the parking brake on again?

Did you have a good time?

30 minutes or so. Just park the car in gear or get a wheel chock to keep in your paddock spot.

I pull the handbrake on the ND after autocross runs and you can clearly see where the pad was on the rotor afterwards. :x

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Any of you guys ever run in the Silver State Classic Challenge?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

Did you have a good time?

30 minutes or so. Just park the car in gear or get a wheel chock to keep in your paddock spot.

I pull the handbrake on the ND after autocross runs and you can clearly see where the pad was on the rotor afterwards. :x

I definitely had fun and will do it again hopefully. Ended up using wheel chocks and let the car sit for two hours in my parking space at home.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

net work error posted:

I definitely had fun and will do it again hopefully. Ended up using wheel chocks and let the car sit for two hours in my parking space at home.

How far is your drive to the track? while driving they will cool off pretty quick so don't get too paranoid. Coming off a hot track, yeah don't use it but if you're driving home and am on the highway for even a few minutes you're probably fine.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

net work error posted:

Just leave it in gear until the next session.

In my Miata I kill the motor while rolling back and let the car roll into my trailer's ramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9fTY4VkX0g

Left the track around 85mph.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need some sparco pro2000 covers. Are they really like £200?! I'll just buy new seats if so haha

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Larrymer posted:

How far is your drive to the track? while driving they will cool off pretty quick so don't get too paranoid. Coming off a hot track, yeah don't use it but if you're driving home and am on the highway for even a few minutes you're probably fine.

It's about an hour drive back I was just concerned because the pedal still felt a little squishy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

net work error posted:

It's about an hour drive back I was just concerned because the pedal still felt a little squishy.

What pads did you end up getting?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You probably cooked the fluid. You don't touch the brakes or set the parking brake because you don't want to leave a big chunk of pad into the rotor as it cools.

What car, track, pad, and fluid?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WRX with Hawk Street/Race pads. Still had the stock fluid but that will be swapped out soon now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I use Project Mu G-Four 335 Fluid in my MR2. It works great. I hear good things about Stoptech STR660 as well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

net work error posted:

WRX with Hawk Street/Race pads. Still had the stock fluid but that will be swapped out soon now.

Which ones? The HP+? I found that those only lasted me a few track days. Check them when you get a chance.

Might also want to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines, they're relatively cheap.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Street/Race is a newer compound - basically DTC30.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

net work error posted:

Yeah, definitely the fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if you cracked the bleeder and was sucking air for a while.

What track? The WRX gets up to speed quite fast and you put exponentially more heat into the system when you're braking from 120+ mph. A lot of local guys who are doing laps in their Mustangs or Corvettes usually opt to coast after 135 because braking at 135-140 gives them double the pad life than braking from 150+.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ah I didn't realize that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

Yeah, definitely the fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if you cracked the bleeder and was sucking air for a while.

What track? The WRX gets up to speed quite fast and you put exponentially more heat into the system when you're braking from 120+ mph. A lot of local guys who are doing laps in their Mustangs or Corvettes usually opt to coast after 135 because braking at 135-140 gives them double the pad life than braking from 150+.

Homestead-Miami Speedway, configuration A I believe. No NASCAR high banking for me but you get two really fast left hand turn ins that you don't lift for and it was a test of courage for me.

I didn't get it to too high speeds since I'm still a novice on track so the hardest braking I did was probably in the 80-90 mph range down to about 30-40 mph or so.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

DTC30 may stop fine, but DTC60 squeaks more and that lets everybody in the paddock know you mean business.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Roman Rambo posted:

DTC30 may stop fine, but DTC60 squeaks more and that lets everybody in the paddock know you mean business.

I swear, the DTC60 is so much nicer than the oldschool Blues or Blacks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

yep, probably just boiled fluid then. Get some high temp stuff in there and you'll be good to go until you exceed the heat range of those pads.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I forgot how fat the WRX is, but the pads were probably OK. The DTC-60s are <3.

Looking at the configuration... I can kind of see that you're probably on the brakes a lot? I'm not that familiar off hand with that particular track, but you can run into issues if the brakes never get a chance to cool off.

VIR Full is considered a high speed fast track with some significant braking events (two 120+ to 45 in a straight line), but there's a bunch of time in-between them, so it's not awful on brakes. CMP isn't nearly as fast, but you're constantly going from 90ish to 45-50 with short straights in between and the track has a reputation for eating brakes.

I know you're a novice, so step 1 is getting that fluid out of there and replacing it with either ATE or the good Motul stuff. After that, a pad change maybe... those Hawks are supposedly good to 1200F (but the WRX is 3k+). Definitely change out the fluid.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

I believe this 100% but it still doesn't seem like they're coasting when they pass me in my miata going 35mph faster...

At least I have near infinite brake and tire life? :sigh:

Blaise fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 23, 2017

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I'm guilty of being a sandbagging fucker with respect to straightaway speeds. I will go fast enough to pass the cars and that's basically it. Except when I forget my rule. Then I go too fast :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know how you guys in Miatas keep sane. Riding a slow bike isn't bad because there is PLENTY of room to pass someone slow on a fast bike... but not in a car. Seems like it would get frustrating real quick.