Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Divine Blob posted:

Hi, so I'm new to the whole fightstick thing. I'm planning on making GG XRD2 my first PC game and I'm planning on getting a stick for it too. Now that Madcatz is gone, is there a new best or should I just go with the Hori RAP4 for now and switch out the buttons at a later date?

(This isn't my first fighting game, I've played BlazBlue forever on my xbox but the community on it is kinda dead, and none of my friends play xbox fighters)

I'm a big fan of the Razer PS4 stick, but hori had really good mid range priced sticks. I don't like the buttons on them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's okay to be bad at fighting games. Just don't be an annoying sour grapes baby about it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

TheManSeries posted:

I'm a big fan of the Razer PS4 stick, but hori had really good mid range priced sticks. I don't like the buttons on them at all.

seconding razer panthera. has new pc drivers that are fantastic. the art is moddable now. I thought I'd never buy another razer product after atrox stick failures and my piece of poo poo deathadder mouse but this stick is fantastic.

I don't like to recommend horis to new players because you can get better hardware for a similar price with the Panthera. but ive been seeing the horis on sale for sub 150...

speaking of sales, there's sales very frequently, usually around tournaments, check out a tourney stream on a weekend, see Twitter accounts for razer/markman/hori/qanba/eightarc/whoever else

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Eightarcs are pretty great

Oh poo poo! I remember almost buying one of these years ago. I'll take a look at them and see how they compare.

Zand posted:

seconding razer panthera. has new pc drivers that are fantastic. the art is moddable now. I thought I'd never buy another razer product after atrox stick failures and my piece of poo poo deathadder mouse but this stick is fantastic.

I don't like to recommend horis to new players because you can get better hardware for a similar price with the Panthera. but ive been seeing the horis on sale for sub 150...

speaking of sales, there's sales very frequently, usually around tournaments, check out a tourney stream on a weekend, see Twitter accounts for razer/markman/hori/qanba/eightarc/whoever else

Now that I've been reminded about Eightarc, I'm leaning towards the Obsidian. I'm kinda hesitant about Razer because of my experience with their mice in the past and headsets but I am willing to give them a try.

Divine Blob fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 18, 2017

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

It's okay to be bad at fighting games. Just don't be an annoying sour grapes baby about it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

That and be willing to learn. You are now on par with most of the scene.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Look, I'm willing to learn if you'll just stop spamming fireballs and throw loops and oki bullshit and actually play the game instead of resorting to cheap poo poo to win. My yomi* actually has a lot of potential, I outguess real opponents all the time; I'd do even better if I didn't have to bother with that finger puzzle crap. If you're some freak of nature who can flawlessly input shoyrukens 20 times in a row, well good for you, but you could just buy a special controller that does that for you and what would be the difference? That's not what fighting is about, I want to learn the real skills.

*reading the mind of the opponent

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

Worth pointing out along with this that Combo Breaker is next weekend which is probably the biggest Midwest tourney and undoubtedly there will be various hardware and software sales going on online

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Its not ok to be bad at fighting game. Git good scrubs

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Japanese word for reading the mind of an opponent

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sleeptalker posted:

Look, I'm willing to learn if you'll just stop spamming fireballs and throw loops and oki bullshit and actually play the game instead of resorting to cheap poo poo to win. My yomi* actually has a lot of potential, I outguess real opponents all the time; I'd do even better if I didn't have to bother with that finger puzzle crap. If you're some freak of nature who can flawlessly input shoyrukens 20 times in a row, well good for you, but you could just buy a special controller that does that for you and what would be the difference? That's not what fighting is about, I want to learn the real skills.

Leave Sirlin out of this, You monster

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sleeptalker posted:

As a poo poo FG player, I've come to realize that actually I should just pick the character with the stupid mixup and run that. It's easier to learn the fingerpuzzles than to actually learn how to play and I hope other scrubs can have this moment of realization too.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My yomi is so good that I don't even have to play because in my mind I have already won

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My yomi is so good that I don't even have to play because in my mind I have already won

I'm Krillin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7hcx3zZ4BA

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The only winning move is not to play

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hippopo
Apr 2, 2017

*sigh*
Eightarc/Qanba sticks are my recommended stick, though I've heard very good things about the Pantera.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Divine Blob posted:

Hi, so I'm new to the whole fightstick thing. I'm planning on making GG XRD2 my first PC game and I'm planning on getting a stick for it too. Now that Madcatz is gone, is there a new best or should I just go with the Hori RAP4 for now and switch out the buttons at a later date?

(This isn't my first fighting game, I've played BlazBlue forever on my xbox but the community on it is kinda dead, and none of my friends play xbox fighters)

You can just plug in your Xbox360 stick

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play
marvel
https://my.mixtape.moe/gykiwa.webm

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Post a fight stick tier list

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Elephunk posted:

You can just plug in your Xbox360 stick

Yeah, I meant I played xbox fighting games so I don't look like an idiot saying hey guys i want to get into fighting games whats the best stick i can buy\

So I'm between the Razor one and the obsidian. Is extra ms of input lag going to really make a huge difference online?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

i dont think they matter in league either. i dont believe in tiers.

The thing I dont believe about league and other dota games is that ppl willingly play them

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

quote:

LEV-LEV-LEV-LEV-MAX-

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

As a poo poo FG player, I've come to realize that actually I should just pick the character with the stupid mixup and run that. It's easier to learn the fingerpuzzles than to actually learn how to play and I hope other scrubs can have this moment of realization too.

As a poo poo FG player, I've come to realize that actually I should just pick the prettiest girl character and taunt every whiff and knockdown

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

absolutely anything posted:

it's a 1v1 top down-ish game where you're both shmup robots with psychic force style special inputs except you can start from wherever as long as you just do the motion, so a quarter circle could go from down to right or left to up or whatever and doing it in different directions will actually alter the move a bit. also your supers turn you into bullet hell bosses. the first game came out on xbox 360 a million years ago and it ruled, then the sequel never left japan and was region locked. now they're remaking it (the sequel) and putting it on steam and ps4. i am very excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEJ0hyYJFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8kKi04KyEs

this looks dope

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there's a touhou clone called genso rondo that actually got a release in the states

it's a terrible game though so if anybody speaks well of it you know they're full of poo poo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

dragon enthusiast posted:

there's a touhou clone called genso rondo that actually got a release in the states

it's a terrible game though so if anybody speaks well of it you know they're full of poo poo

yeah i bought it because i was desperate for more snr but it's not what i wanted. very slow and clunky and way more focused on long-range because it's touhou. avoid

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Saint Freak posted:

https://twitter.com/mowtendoo/status/754431371137855489

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Dualshock 4 is provably god tier.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

As a poo poo FG player, I've come to realize that actually I should just pick the prettiest girl character and taunt every whiff and knockdown

My process when I choose a FG character:

Does she have a cute dress?
Do I need to make an effort?

Sometimes I have to give up on the cute dress (sorry, Karin), but it is what it is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dias posted:

My process when I choose a FG character:

Does she have a cute dress?
Do I need to make an effort?

Sometimes I have to give up on the cute dress (sorry, Karin), but it is what it is.

1) Who does the most damage with a single input?
2) That's it it's just the first thing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Booyah- posted:

if you could give me an effort post that explains wtf this means i would appreciate it

I'll break it down:
Virtual On is a 3D arena fighting game series made by SEGA's AM2 division which is now named Hitmaker. There are 4 games in the series: Virtual On Cybertroopers (aka Operation Moongate/OMG), Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (aka OraTan or VOOT), Virtual On Marz (with the A looking like a 3), and Virtual On Force (with a big 4 behind the logo). OMG was a cult hit in international arcades (with the sequels never leaving Japanese arcades), although hardcore fans are split between it and OraTan as series favorite. It was basically the prototype for the Gundam Versus series of games, starting as a 1-on-1 game where you picked a character out of a cast of 8, each with their own movelists, movement options, defensive abilities, and so on. The games are traditionally controlled by a pair of twin joysticks with 2 buttons each which you use to execute all your motions, normals, and specials. OraTan is on 360 XBLA and PS3 PSN, which is the closest to available you'll get for this series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GMwF8aMMUE

Psychic Force is a 2D arcade fighting game series by Taito from around the turn of the century. It's the closest game to Senko no Ronde available, being a zoning-focused game with complete freedom of X and Y axis movement-- in PF characters fly Dragonball-style and in SnR the camera is placed overhead. It was ported to PS1, then had a sequel which was ported to Dreamcast/PS1/PS2/PS3 in that order. The series had a lot of aesthetic similarities with the manga/OVA/eventual anime X, so the devs were licensed to make an X fighting game for PS1 that was almost an exact reskin of Psychic Force, down to the movelists. 2012 makes a lot of improvements upon the first game, using a meter-based comeback mechanic that's pretty good, fleshing out the universal mechanics, and running at 480p 60fps. They also had fantastic soundtracks, being composed by Taito's Zuntata, and a Puzzle Bobble spinoff called Psychic Force Puzzle Taisen. This series isn't easy to find nowadays, although it IS playable on NesicaXLive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-KQgT_JgY

Twinkle Star Sprites is a vs shmup. There are 2 games in the series, but the first is on Fightcade (with a botched Steam release) and the second one sucks. It plays like a shmup fighting game-- each player picks a character and then plays a split screen scrolling vertical shooting game where doing tricks can send attacks at your opponent. The primary trick is using the game's explosion combo system but there's also meter and parry mechanics and a tiny grim reaper who acts as the round timer. The game's version of super moves send bosses to the opponent's screen (specific to which character you chose) which must be defeated or avoided all while still trying to kill your opponent before Death comes after you. We also have tournaments for this game in this thread occasionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkHvwkygyqI

I love all of these games and highly recommend you play them. Senko no Ronde 2 on Steam is going to rule so hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Same

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://store.steampowered.com/app/571260/THE_KING_OF_FIGHTERS_XIV_STEAM_EDITION/

buy to get closed beta access

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Countblanc posted:

1) Who does the most damage with a single input?
2) That's it it's just the first thing.

Why yes I also play Zangief. Why do you ask?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I always go with the character with the largest variety of projectiles. That way I don't have to learn any finger puzzles, and can annoy people that do. *PINEAPPLE SURPRISE PINEAPPLE SURPRISE PINEAPPLE SUPRISE*

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

I always go with the character with the largest variety of projectiles. That way I don't have to learn any finger puzzles, and can annoy people that do. *PINEAPPLE SURPRISE PINEAPPLE SURPRISE PINEAPPLE SUPRISE*

Ummm the projectiles require finger puzzles tho.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

Ummm the projectiles require finger puzzles tho.

my brother lemme tell you about simple mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Is that where you pick Mega Man and press fierce a lot?