Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's the squirrels!

And we've seen fire and volt squirrels, so does that mean an evil ice squirrel exists?

Squirrels are evil. Evil.

Deny it pets forever.

Also, Futaba is a really great character. I was a member of the lonely hearts club though :P

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh my loving god that was a hilarious update. I could -feel- the hate for the squirrels from the screen and that ending was absolutely adorable. Also Kawakami is best P5 waifu and all your other waifus are trash I mean what?

Joeaverage
Aug 1, 2014
Somehow the stick insect was funnier than the squirrels to me. Speaking of that you write that grass shield cannot miss and then 4 screenshots later show it missing twice on Alexis. Does "cannot miss" just mean a 100 accuracy value?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Joeaverage posted:

Somehow the stick insect was funnier than the squirrels to me. Speaking of that you write that grass shield cannot miss and then 4 screenshots later show it missing twice on Alexis. Does "cannot miss" just mean a 100 accuracy value?

...That somehow failed to occur to me. Lemme check Grass Shield's data again...

e: Okay I don't know how I even did that since Grass Shield has an accuracy value defined in the second drat header. Fixed it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Ragnar Homsar: Representing a waifu so good, the game doesn't let you romance him.

Also I love every part of how spiteful this squirrel poo poo is. I normally hate memes, but this one is absurd enough even I have to smile.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Ragnar Homsar: Representing a waifu so good, the game doesn't let you romance him.

Futaba may be my favorite female character (it's just a coincidence that I thought Raven would pick her too), but Yusuke is my overall favorite character.

Was using him right up until the absolute last fight, long after the point where Ryuji started mechanically outclassing him.

InvincibleIII
Sep 4, 2015
Those squirrels were... an experience to deal with.

I didn't know that they only used Wick when they were the last living enemy so I just stacked multiple element resistance buffs and brought around 10 threads with me whenever I went back into that area.

(Also, hello everyone! Been lurking here since the EO2U playthrough)

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

quote:

Wick: Used when the Blaze Squirrel is the last enemy left alive. Uses the legs. Deals 150% ranged INT-based fire damage to all party members. Burns one Ariadne Thread in the party's inventory, if there is one. Has an 80% speed modifier and a base accuracy of 120%.

Ah, the things that happen when EO2 is fresh on the devs' minds.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Of all the memes to become real, killer death squirrels that burn your threads are pretty fitting.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Do chains have a 100% follow up? Is it possible to get unlucky with follow ups?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Do chains have a 100% follow up? Is it possible to get unlucky with follow ups?

The first one is 100%, but the chance goes down with each chain hit. Leveling up the chain skill lowers how much it decreases by (22% per hit at first, down to 10% per hit after that) and the Chain Plus skill gives you a buff that increases the base chance so much that you're probably not going to do enough chains to fall under 100%. Level 10 chain skills go down by 10% chance with each hit, and level 10 Chain Plus increases your base chance by 80%--and you're definitely not going to do more than eight chains in one round.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 15, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 29. Atlus varying up the teleporting gimmick? Color me surprised.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Angry Bird is great. That name is on-point, and it's just an off-coloured turkey.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I'm getting from watching Alexis work that dodge tanks are significantly better than I would expect them to be in an Etrian game. What's the downside of a dodge-tank Fencer that might lead to someone using a Dragoon instead?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Harrow posted:

So I'm getting from watching Alexis work that dodge tanks are significantly better than I would expect them to be in an Etrian game. What's the downside of a dodge-tank Fencer that might lead to someone using a Dragoon instead?

They have absolutely no answers to AOE attacks which do get more common as the game goes on. Also they're kind of all or nothing, which is usually the case when it comes to dodgetanks in general.

I did like this teleportation gimmick. Reminded me of the gates in EO3. And they're more engaging than completely random teleportation destinations.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They have absolutely no answers to AOE attacks which do get more common as the game goes on.

Well, they do have Divine Gust, but that's only good for 3 dodges at max rank, and is only "guaranteed" on the first dodge.

Also Wind Curtain but effectively using it is kinda cheesy, as seen in the Hippogriff fight, and only works on phys stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Fencers are extremely good against multi-hit attacks but bad against aoe or piercing attacks. Remember those archers from the 3rd stratum? It doesn't matter if the tank dodges if the squishy warlock behind him gets hit.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 15, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

So monsters actually chase you through teleporters?

The F.O.Es are improving their tactics.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Teleporter mazes are kind of the expected thing in an Etrian game but it's nice to see them keepin' it fresh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that Herbalists are the ones who get the Nightseeker-style "do huge damage if the enemy has literally any ailment" skill with Smoke Bomb. I'm guessing a Reaper/Herbalist/Cestus combo could do terrible things together, helping each other land ailments/binds then capitalizing on bonus damage.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They have absolutely no answers to AOE attacks which do get more common as the game goes on. Also they're kind of all or nothing, which is usually the case when it comes to dodgetanks in general.

Clarste posted:

Fencers are extremely good against multi-hit attacks but bad against aoe or piercing attacks. Remember those archer from the 3rd stratum? It doesn't matter if the tank dodges if the squishy warlock behind him gets hit.

That all makes sense. I'm always skeptical of dodge-tanks in just about any game so I'm always a little bit fascinated when they actually work.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It's worth noting that Smoke Bomb also requires both an ailment and a debuff to use--not specifically a Smoke debuff, at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd guess a Smoke debuff is probably the easiest way to set it up, though. And it removes the debuff on use, right? So it's not spammable like War Magus's Ailing Slash or Nightstalker's Shadow Bite. It's cool on the "healer" class, though, and I feel like I'm more likely to use one because of it. I'm usually more drawn to the indirect healers, like EO4 Arcanists.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Correct on all counts re: Smoke Bomb.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 30. I admire Thaddeus's determination but not his decision making.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Of course, in a game with different races there just has to be some form of racism, you know.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Of course, in a game with different races there just has to be some form of racism, you know.

It's why Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games got a T rating!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 31. That thing looks like it came out of 7th Dragon, really.

Oh, yeah, speaking of "that thing..."

Crystal Dragon voting is open. Go read the update, then read this, then vote.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Lets see... Iseria, Kaelin, Dosen, Sasha

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wanna see a dragon that's already made of crystal get petrified, so:

Sasha, Raven, Kaelin, Magda

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sasha, Iseria, Magda, and then Dosen because Dosen is god.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sasha, Kaelin, Mio, Dosen

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Update 31. That thing looks like it came out of 7th Dragon, really.

Huh, I never really thought about it, but it certainly wouldn't be out of place as a High/Imperial Dragon.

And yeah, Crystal Dragon isn't a particularly interesting boss. Undead King already played the whole 2 different skillsets card and it was more in line with what he could pull off in battle. I guess Prism Ray is kind of interesting in that it's the only attack in the series that changes elements in the middle of an attack, but that's honestly kind of meaningless in a game without the elemental walls. Crystal Dragon already has access to all 7 damage types, so protecting yourself against just one is already meaningless.

Sasha, Kaelin, Magda, and Dosen.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Dosen SMASH!
I think with his new-found bloodlust it is better for him to sit this one out.
Nothing worse than a White Mage that has gone mad with power.

Sasha, Kaelin, Jana, Magda

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Sasha, Iseria, Jana, Mio

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Magda, Heaven Wrath Mio, Kaelin, Sasha

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Sasha, Kaelin, Gram, Dosen

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For such a classy dragon, we have to make it a couple's night. Send Alexis, Iseria, Raven, and Mio.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Voting for Sasha and Iseria.

I have to admit, I beat the game without ever seeing this guy do anything.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Cecil, Raven, Kaelin, Madga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Cecil, Gram, Kaelin, Dosen

• Locked thread