Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Naples die shot (32C/64T?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm so glad that AMD's marketing department turned into a parody of itself

So cringey, it went off the deep end and looped right back around to awesome

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NewFatMike posted:

Hugethreads.jpg

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

So cringey, it went off the deep end and looped right back around to awesome
That's it. It's a response to whateverlake +5% / year.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 16, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Rastor posted:

Today as part of their Financial Analyst Day 2017 AMD has shown off Naples chips, which will be marketed as EPYC.

http://wccftech.com/amd-unveils-epyc-cpus-32-cores-64-threads-datacenter/
I didn't watch the stream; since Ryzen is pronounced Rye-zen is this pronounced episs or something?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
They should have called it i10 to gently caress with intel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
:siren: WARNING: VENDOR-SUPPLIED BENCHMARK AHEAD. :siren:

Apparently that's a linux kernel compile bench, head-to-head, no word on the setups.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://ark.intel.com/products/96899/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699A-v4-55M-Cache-2_40-GHz for the Intel part for the lazy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I felt a single, sharp pain in my groin when I saw the $4938 MSRP on that Xeon.

I have no intention of ever buying one of those, and I think Intel *still* just exacted the price of my hypothetical future firstborn from me just to look at the spec sheet.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

they showed slides before the benchmark, iirc 2S/64C/128T, fully populated with DDR4 16GB modules resulting in 256GB RAM (=16 channel?) but no frequencies.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I didn't watch the stream; since Ryzen is pronounced Rye-zen is this pronounced episs or something?

Eh-pike

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

taqueso posted:

They should have called it i10 to gently caress with intel.

i16, i32 etc

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So basing this off of R7 1800x prices, are we going to see Threadripper at $1000? For the R9 lineup you're obviously going to have a 4 CCX setup with 2 CCXs per die on chip(Epyc having 8 CCXs and 4 dies). This means we could also see some weird CCX core arrangements. Like the 10 core going with like a 2+3+2+3 approach or 1+1+4+4 or any other combination.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, because that would be a *logical* price for it. Probably somewhere around $800-$900, because AMD is absolutely hell-bent on leaving money on the table.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
$1200-1300 I bet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, combined CCX and EMIB latencies are going to be hell of an annoying thing? The idea of a 16C/32T CPU tickles my fancy, if it's sub-1000bux.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the Linux Build benchmarks have all shown to be pretty quick on current Ryzen chips, a 16C part should absolutely fly. Hope their HEDT platform has some server grade storage controllers or something to keep up.

God I can see them having similar issues to the X79 platfrom when it launched and had all sorts of issues with its Storage controllers, like not supporting Trim, slowness, the Enterprise drivers actually being worse across the board than the consumer ones. Ugh

Thank god it only took them like 2 years to get bios/driver updates to make it suck immensely less.

Still. These AMD leaks and announcements seriously have me considering one down the road. It is fantastic to see AMD coming at Intel face first after 10 years of nipping at their toes. They may not be on even ground yet, but at least they are playing in the same ballpark once again.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

AMD CPU platform: Maybe consider something down the road, they are in the ballpark

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The only reason I say down the road is because I have a X79 with 6 cores already that still makes me happy.

If I was in the market for a new rig relatively soon, then making the decision between Intel/AMD would be a lot harder right now.

I would actually reallllly like to get my hands on a Ryzen build just to mess with it and learn all I can about the new platfrom hands on.

Maybe I can swing one of the tiny Ryzens for my Plex Transcoder server since for whatever the hell reason Plex refuses to just send raw audio for any of my newest content anymore and the NAS just can't handle it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Same ballpark? That's maybe a bit generous. Same league, different conferences, and it looks like both teams are going to be seeing eachother in the finals.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe I can swing one of the tiny Ryzens for my Plex Transcoder server since for whatever the hell reason Plex refuses to just send raw audio for any of my newest content anymore and the NAS just can't handle it.

It's usually DTS audio that causes a huge problem with this. Re-rip and transcode the audio to AC3 for a much better experience. Plex is really finicky as to which devices it'll direct stream DTS to. Heck even AC3 can be a PITA as well.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I recently upgraded from an i7-4770 workstation to a Ryzen 1700. At the same 3.6GHz all-core clocks and RAM running at DDR4-3200, the Ryzen is +/- twice the throughput for x264 encoding tasks at about the same cost as I paid for the i7 setup in 2014. It's pretty much two Haswell/Broadwell i7s in a single socket, and it rules for both heavily multithreaded throughput tasks and general multitasking.

The HEDT platfroms look less appealing now that we're not limited to 4 cores on regular-rear end desktops.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What mobo/RAM kit are you using? I haven't had to pay much attention to RAM for builds before and I want to make sure I've got my eye on the correct kit.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AFAIK, Samsung B-die is still the thing to get. which means G.Skill and some Corsair.

(Not all G.Skill are Samsung, though. Venn diagrams and all that, but there's a lot less of it in Corsair's product stack.)

But the new AGESA update might change that.

More details on that Linux kernel compile test, c/o TR:

quote:

To illustrate the point, AMD offered a demonstration of a 2S Epyc system going against two high-end Xeon E5-2699A v4 CPUs, each with 22 cores and 55 MB of cache. AMD's machine had 256 GB of RAM thanks to its eight channels, while the Intel-powered server was rolling with 128 GB. The Epyc box finished a Linux kernel compilation in 15.7 seconds, around 43% faster than the 22.5 seconds it took the Intel system.

So, it's the memory bandwidth that was giving it the extra oomph needed, right?

quote:

Those figures may raise a couple eyebrows on their own, but AMD proceeded to point out that not a whole lot of systems are shipped with the mighty Xeon E5-2699A v4 onboard. According to the company, servers powered by Intel's Xeon offerings between the ES-262x and ES-265x series make up the bulk of shipments, and among those, the ES-264x series is the best seller among them. AMD proceeded to offer another demonstration, then: a single-socket Epyc system with 128 GB of RAM going up against a 2S box with Xeon ES-2650 v4 CPUs (12 cores each). For a Linux kernel compile, the Epyc system took 33.7 seconds, while the Xeon box did its work in 37.2 seconds. While this is but a single benchmark, it's nonetheless impressive and lends some credence to AMD's plan of going after two-socket systems with single-socket Epyc offerings.

Not the same top-flight Xeon as before. Even if they DID have a logical justification for running the test, they probably did their benchmark and just kept downgrading the Intel chip until they got one where the one Epyc chip beat two Xeons, and then back-justified it. =P

Either way, compelling, and cause for optimism. http://techreport.com/news/31927/amd-throws-some-epyc-shade-on-xeon-powered-servers

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 17, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They will also be upping SoC voltage to +0.2v from +0.1v with the new bios releases to help reach 3200, not to mention running at 1.4v on the memory. If you are having issues hitting the speed, these are things you can try now with AGESA 1004.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

None of these product names are as bad as the AsRock "Fatal One Thank You" IMO

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AFAIK, Samsung B-die is still the thing to get. which means G.Skill and some Corsair.

(Not all G.Skill are Samsung, though. Venn diagrams and all that, but there's a lot less of it in Corsair's product stack.)

On that note, this reddit (sorry) thread is the least useless thing I found after clicking around some Google results and it's apparently still missing a bunch of > 8 gig sticks, which would be kinda useful if you're running a lot of VMs and also want fast memory, from what I understand.*

* the memory controller has problems driving four modules at over ~2800 (or so?) so you'd want two big ones instead of four small

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 17, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

What mobo/RAM kit are you using? I haven't had to pay much attention to RAM for builds before and I want to make sure I've got my eye on the correct kit.

I have an AsRock AB350M Pro4 and this 2x8GB EVGA DDR-3000 kit. With the latest BIOS for my board, all I had to do was enable XMP and then override to DDR-3200. The CPU overclock was similarly simple by just bumping the frequency for P-state 0 to 3.6; no voltage bumps required for anything. It could probably go higher, but I'm using the stock cooler and don't need to squeeze every last MHz out of it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you very much thread! Home game stream server/render station/media machine build is going to be pretty dope.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

I recently upgraded from an i7-4770 workstation to a Ryzen 1700. At the same 3.6GHz all-core clocks and RAM running at DDR4-3200, the Ryzen is +/- twice the throughput for x264 encoding tasks at about the same cost as I paid for the i7 setup in 2014. It's pretty much two Haswell/Broadwell i7s in a single socket, and it rules for both heavily multithreaded throughput tasks and general multitasking.

The HEDT platfroms look less appealing now that we're not limited to 4 cores on regular-rear end desktops.

My old buildserver finally started to choke a few weeks ago, so I bit the bullet and replaced it before it died entirely. I gotta throw some more memory at it, and actually sort out the memory clocks (the current stuff absolutely refuses to post above 2133), but it's absolutely smoking what I'd have been able to afford for the same budget from Intel.

I finally got down to getting some actual comparison numbers yesterday using UE4 lighting builds. Something something non-scientific, single runs, same map, same quality settings. Default settings uses 6 threads for the Intel machine and 14 for the Ryzen. The 1700X machine was paging hard for most of it too, so I have no doubt another 16Gb would make this comparison even more ridiculous.

quote:

R7 1700X @ 3.9, 16Gb @ 2133
Lighting complete [Startup = 571 ms, Lighting = 28:33 min]

i7 4770K @ stock, 32Gb @ 1600
Lighting complete [Startup = 1.15 sec, Lighting = 1:10:55 hours]

Actual compile times for the engine got similarly destroyed; from ~90 minutes down to an average of ~20 for a fully clean build :aaaaa:

Impressions so far are pretty good. I've not had a chance to sit down and game on it yet to get a feel for it, but for sure it destroys heavy workloads at a fraction of the price. The only thing letting it down so far has been bios related; it'll occasionally start up and not detect any disks until it gets rebooted again, and it's strangely reluctant to run the memory any faster than 2133.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

MrBadidea posted:

My old buildserver finally started to choke a few weeks ago, so I bit the bullet and replaced it before it died entirely. I gotta throw some more memory at it, and actually sort out the memory clocks (the current stuff absolutely refuses to post above 2133), but it's absolutely smoking what I'd have been able to afford for the same budget from Intel.

I finally got down to getting some actual comparison numbers yesterday using UE4 lighting builds. Something something non-scientific, single runs, same map, same quality settings. Default settings uses 6 threads for the Intel machine and 14 for the Ryzen. The 1700X machine was paging hard for most of it too, so I have no doubt another 16Gb would make this comparison even more ridiculous.

Actual compile times for the engine got similarly destroyed; from ~90 minutes down to an average of ~20 for a fully clean build :aaaaa:

Impressions so far are pretty good. I've not had a chance to sit down and game on it yet to get a feel for it, but for sure it destroys heavy workloads at a fraction of the price. The only thing letting it down so far has been bios related; it'll occasionally start up and not detect any disks until it gets rebooted again, and it's strangely reluctant to run the memory any faster than 2133.

What mobo are you running? Maybe a beta bios/updated bios if you haven't might help.

For mem mine wouldn't go past 2933 and then a couple bios versions ago it started working at 3200 16/18/18/36.

Also I've found setting the Mem in Ryzen Master was more stable for me and also for upping the SoC (Went to 1.05v for mine, MSI calls the SOC -> NorthBridge).

B350M Mortar Arctic, GSkill TridentZ 3200 C16.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

VealCutlet posted:

What mobo are you running? Maybe a beta bios/updated bios if you haven't might help.

For mem mine wouldn't go past 2933 and then a couple bios versions ago it started working at 3200 16/18/18/36.

Also I've found setting the Mem in Ryzen Master was more stable for me and also for upping the SoC (Went to 1.05v for mine, MSI calls the SOC -> NorthBridge).

B350M Mortar Arctic, GSkill TridentZ 3200 C16.

Asus Prime X370-Pro. I slammed the latest BIOS on it I could when I pieced everything together, and there's been nothing newer since. It definitely helped at least with the weird disks-not-being-detected thing; still happens, just nowhere near as often.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I felt a single, sharp pain in my groin when I saw the $4938 MSRP on that Xeon.

I have no intention of ever buying one of those, and I think Intel *still* just exacted the price of my hypothetical future firstborn from me just to look at the spec sheet.

Bezos will get them for cheap, those aren't for "us".

Alternatively, Strictly for my elastics.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

MrBadidea posted:

Asus Prime X370-Pro. I slammed the latest BIOS on it I could when I pieced everything together, and there's been nothing newer since. It definitely helped at least with the weird disks-not-being-detected thing; still happens, just nowhere near as often.

Running the 604 bios with the AGESA update?

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

Running the 604 bios with the AGESA update?

Yup.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MrBadidea posted:

I get that sometimes in my 5+ year old Asus mobo and, after the inevitable quick 'oh gently caress' moment where I assume the SSD died before I remember that this has happened before (and will happen again, I'm sure), I have to go into the BIOS and fix the boot order every loving time to get it to work again. Super annoying but also pretty rare. Maybe their BIOS authors just suck? Maybe I should stop buying Asus? Only time will tell.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MrBadidea posted:

Post like this make me want to get a zen machine up and find a cheap colo place to keep it at.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

wargames posted:

Post like this make me want to get a zen machine up and find a cheap colo place to keep it at.

Hell yeah, as soon as there's a "server/workstation" AM4 board out with things like onboard IPMI and explicit ECC support. Hopefully something like that is in the works at SuperMicro or AsRock for mATX 1U applications. Intel's E3 line would basically be worthless overnight.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
whatup peeps, just built a new rig with a 1700X and an MSI B350 Tomahawk (thanks for the cool bundle, microcenter)

of course, like everyone else memory has been an issue. the RAM I got ended up not being on the MSI's QVL and only seems to work at 2133 even though they're 2400 rated sticks. even after enabling XMP and switching it to 2400, which it reports successfully in the BIOS, checking things in CPU-Z returns that the RAM is still running at 2133. honestly, I'm not even worried right now, I'm sure I'm just loving up and forgetting some settings or something. made sure I flashed the latest BIOS as soon as I booted it for the first time, too. overall though, really liking the 1700X so far

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Turdsdown Tom posted:

whatup peeps, just built a new rig with a 1700X and an MSI B350 Tomahawk (thanks for the cool bundle, microcenter)

of course, like everyone else memory has been an issue. the RAM I got ended up not being on the MSI's QVL and only seems to work at 2133 even though they're 2400 rated sticks. even after enabling XMP and switching it to 2400, which it reports successfully in the BIOS, checking things in CPU-Z returns that the RAM is still running at 2133. honestly, I'm not even worried right now, I'm sure I'm just loving up and forgetting some settings or something. made sure I flashed the latest BIOS as soon as I booted it for the first time, too. overall though, really liking the 1700X so far

My MSI board was doing weird poo poo with the xmp profiles where I still had to manually put in the voltage for the RAM, try setting it to 1.35v and try again, if still no joy up the SoC to 1.05. If that still doesn't work you can push the SoC to 1.1 (on my MSI board it calls the SoC "NB" voltage which is terrifying and weird), you could also add more voltage to the RAM but I'm not 100% sure what is safe for 24/7 usage on DDR4.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I'm gonna buy me a Ryzen system in the fall when the teething troubles get sorted out. It's going to be really sweet, and I can't wait to put my old FX system to rest, I'm sick and tired of it already. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Why wait, old yeller that old machine.