Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Reminded me of this for some reason.

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/864668545870966784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I remember when I was in high school Huckabee took away our soda machines because he had just lost a lot of weight and thought that kids shouldn't be allowed sugary drinks, the meltdown that followed was pretty ugly. A couple of weeks later we got our sodas back without comment. That's my Huckabee story, thanks for listening.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CainsDescendant posted:

I remember when I was in high school Huckabee took away our soda machines because he had just lost a lot of weight and thought that kids shouldn't be allowed sugary drinks, the meltdown that followed was pretty ugly. A couple of weeks later we got our sodas back without comment. That's my Huckabee story, thanks for listening.

Coke and / or Pepsi probably threatened him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alter Ego posted:

He actually used to be kind of funny. 8 years of Obama positively destroyed every visible member of the GOP.

How to be a Baptist Preacher:
1. Read the newspaper.
2. Find something the kids are interested in.
3. Declare it sinful and a sign of moral degeneracy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CainsDescendant posted:

Where did you go to school?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

He actually used to be kind of funny. 8 years of Obama positively destroyed every visible member of the GOP.

Positively destroyed into control of all three branches of government.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CainsDescendant posted:

He was right.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

I only really heard about the guy within the last few years, where he spouted ugly transphobic poo poo and fearmongered over refugees. And his daughter fills in for Sean Spicer when he's in the bushes.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Here's some funny pictures

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My sister was in his marathon training group and apparently it was a complete pain in the rear end for everyone.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

loving hell, I looked fine in the mirror this morning.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

I only really heard about the guy within the last few years, where he spouted ugly transphobic poo poo and fearmongered over refugees.

Honesty can be scary to liars.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Those are some incredibly wonky eyes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I really relate to this animal

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cash crab posted:

I really relate to this animal

Who run Produce Town?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who run Produce Town?

Lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Can confirm weapons on full display in poor country markets.

The one I used to shop at in South America, had guards with shotguns and pistols in it, and they were parked at the end of every aisle. That is, when they were feeling up to the job. Most of the time they were sauntering around the store swinging their shotguns around like they were an umbrella they brought in from the rain. Can you tell me where the fruit section is? Over there *points with shotgun*. Oh sir, you dropped this item! *puts pistol down on shelf, walks away from it*. Oh, what a cute baby you have, m'am! *shows gun to baby*.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can confirm weapons on full display in poor country markets.

The one I used to shop at in South America, had guards with shotguns and pistols in it, and they were parked at the end of every aisle. That is, when they were feeling up to the job. Most of the time they were sauntering around the store swinging their shotguns around like they were an umbrella they brought in from the rain. Can you tell me where the fruit section is? Over there *points with shotgun*. Oh sir, you dropped this item! *puts pistol down on shelf, walks away from it*. Oh, what a cute baby you have, m'am! *shows gun to baby*.

Im being serious when i say, that is quite the funny picture. Lol

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

In Central America you get a lot of old armed mans outside one 100% of banks and 50% or convenience stores.

Once stayed in El Salvador at a Comfort Suites. And there were camoed soldiers with addualt rifles around the perimeter. The buffet was delicious.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Bombadilillo posted:

In Central America you get a lot of old armed mans outside one 100% of banks and 50% or convenience stores.

Once stayed in El Salvador at a Comfort Suites. And there were camoed soldiers with addualt rifles around the perimeter. The buffet was delicious.

I never got that. Shouldn't you want your armed guards REALLY NOTICEABLE? Like, fluorescent orange and cyan blue shock and awe colours?

Inversely, I sometimes see members of the UK army in their forest camo in the city center. I'm like, dude there's no forest here! If you wanna blend in, try jeans and a t shirt.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The bank I used to use had a shotgun guard out front, and he was permanently standing in a "shotgun half raised" stance. So every time you walk up the steps he'd turn to you with shotgun half raised and stare you down until you got inside the bank.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I never got that. Shouldn't you want your armed guards REALLY NOTICEABLE? Like, fluorescent orange and cyan blue shock and awe colours?

Inversely, I sometimes see members of the UK army in their forest camo in the city center. I'm like, dude there's no forest here! If you wanna blend in, try jeans and a t shirt.

Consider this. The navy has blue water camo. Now you are never going to blend into water on your grey boat to hide from your enemies. So the only thing you are going to do is obscure yourself if you accidentally go overboard off a ship and make it harder for rescuers to find you. They realized this and the Navy is going away from pointless blue camo. Coast Guard wears dark blue solid color though, same problem.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ehh if guards wore bright uniforms it would be more obvious when they're on break / didn't show up to work / weren't employed at a particular location. Better to have the possibility of a ninja guard looming over the heads of criminals :v:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Bombadilillo posted:

Consider this. The navy has blue water camo. Now you are never going to blend into water on your grey boat to hide from your enemies. So the only thing you are going to do is obscure yourself if you accidentally go overboard off a ship and make it harder for rescuers to find you. They realized this and the Navy is going away from pointless blue camo. Coast Guard wears dark blue solid color though, same problem.

The navy's pointless blue camo actually consists of coverall blue, black, switchboard grey, and seafoam green, so that when we get paint all over ourselves our uniforms aren't ruined.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArcMage posted:

The navy's pointless blue camo actually consists of coverall blue, black, switchboard grey, and seafoam green, so that when we get paint all over ourselves our uniforms aren't ruined.

So sailors really get that much arts & crafts time?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ArcMage posted:

No rust brown, doesnt check out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What is it with germans that they have words for everything weird?

I'm pretty sure it's just that you can combine words without spaces or hyphens in German so it looks like one word in English, but a German would just read it as a compound word. Like how in English someone who throws apples could be referred to as an "apple-thrower", but that doesn't mean we have a specific word for "person who throws apples" like as though that's a common thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah, new compound words can be created in most Germanic languages by just cramming words together.

English kinda does it too, they're just called open compounds because they contain a space but they're still one unit, cf. German Videokamera vs. English video camera.

Most dictionaries only include compounds that have some specific or additional meaning that cannot be sussed out from the parts.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

MizPiz posted:

Interesting to see Anarcho-Doggo's origin story.

I fundamentally do not understand why people enjoy this stuff. It's the same thing as lolcats but with an anti-establishment bent. Animals talking in funny voices, which is what you would say that humans find humorous if aliens were asking and you were pressed for time.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poop dood posted:

I fundamentally do not understand why people enjoy this stuff. It's the same thing as lolcats but with an anti-establishment bent. Animals talking in funny voices, which is what you would say that humans find humorous if aliens were asking and you were pressed for time.

:sad:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

poop dood posted:

Let me try and break it down for you.

Layer 1.) The image. This is funny because a dog is holding it's own leash. This is funny because normally a human would be holding that leash!

Layer 2.) The overlaying of text. This is funny because it reveals an inner monologue for an animal incapable of vocalizing speech!

Layer 3.) The content of the text. This is funny because we exist in a capitalist society where the majority of the population serves as the working proletariat, that must sell its labor to live. In the process profit is created for the capitalists and workers are alienated from the fruits of their labor!

Layer 4.) The content of your post. This is funny because a dog understands that we have nothing to loose but our chains, while you toil in ignorance of your situation!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Greatbacon posted:

Let me try and break it down for you.

Layer 1.) The image. This is funny because a dog is holding it's own leash. This is funny because normally a human would be holding that leash!

Layer 2.) The overlaying of text. This is funny because it reveals an inner monologue for an animal incapable of vocalizing speech!

Layer 3.) The content of the text. This is funny because we exist in a capitalist society where the majority of the population serves as the working proletariat, that must sell its labor to live. In the process profit is created for the capitalists and workers are alienated from the fruits of their labor!

Layer 4.) The content of your post. This is funny because a dog understands that we have nothing to loose but our chains, while you toil in ignorance of your situation!

I like layer number 2 the best.

Hehe, I said number 2.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Quote from the article:

quote:

"I have seen young people order smashed avocado with crumbled feta on five-grain toasted bread at $22 a pop and more,"

Millennial or not, if you are paying $22 for avocado and feta on toast you are a goddamn idiot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is this a case of the Spelling Bee people making up a fake account to do that joke, or a cake of Kyle Chapman getting owned on twitter so hard he deleted his account?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

m2pt5 posted:

Quote from the article:

Millennial or not, if you are paying $22 for avocado and feta on toast you are a goddamn idiot.

Hi, welcome to Australia. We have universal healthcare and a minimum wage that you can (almost) live off. $20 for avo on toast and a coffee is on the expensive end of things in the rich areas but totally believable. When the view from your cafe is something like this you maybe don't care that you could get it cheaper elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cheap diners probably don't even serve avocado and feta on 5 grain toast. That's the most pretentious toast ever.