Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Billy Gunn being there makes me wonder if they're actually doing Billy Gunn vs Tanahashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Billy Gunn being there makes me wonder if they're actually doing Billy Gunn vs Tanahashi.

You know, one of the odd things about seeing Gunn in In NJPW was just how huge he was. WWE's habit of hiring massive fuckers all the time just ends up making everyone look average next to each other.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oh man Naito just wrecked the IC belt today. Please be okay IC Belt.....

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Oh man Naito just wrecked the IC belt today. Please be okay IC Belt.....

The young lions hammering it back out with the bell hammer was hilarious.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

If Tanahashi is banged up and unable to travel, I hope they replace him in Long Beach with Kojima. I want to see a BREAD CLUB chant get going.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cody's being advertised for a show in Texas on August 5th. Would that point to him not actually being in the G1 despite what he said?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Ospreay v Ricochet 2 is so different so far. I like the nods to last year's match.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

sigmachiev posted:

Thinking it through a bit, the CMLL relationship becomes even more important in 2018 if they're going to run the subsidiary mostly out of LA. It's a smart move for both to always have some visibility of those guys going forward.

this is true, but I wonder if they have anyone capable of marketing to the Latino community out there. I understand that lucha shows regularly draw well in that area but your typical indie wrestling fan barely even knows about them, so I'd imagine the inverse is likely also true.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

Cody's being advertised for a show in Texas on August 5th. Would that point to him not actually being in the G1 despite what he said?

Dave said "it's up in the air" but didn't explain why

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why isn't Billy Gunn in the Bullet Club? He should get an automatic in for being in DX.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Why isn't Billy Gunn in the Bullet Club? He should get an automatic in for being in DX.

there is a better timeline out there where the BONE SOLDIER was Billy Gunn turning on Yoshitatsu.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

TAILBONE SOLDIER.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i started watching njpw and it's very cool. it makes me feel like i felt when i watched wwe when i was 10, or when i was watching ufc and cared about who won.

wrestle kingdom was very good. kushida/bushi was also very good. there's too many good matches to watch. i like shibata a lot so it sucks that he died.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Thauros posted:

Dave said "it's up in the air" but didn't explain why

its probably something to do with the fact he's going for the ROH title and ROH don't want him losing too much in the G1

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer's story is false. The Omega has Visa issues thing all over again.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We're starting to think seriously about going to WK12 this year and would love any advice/feedback from goons who have gone in the past. Best way to buy tickets, best places to stay (thinking an Airbnb with a guide, potentially?), places to check out during the trip and, of course, any extra wrestling junk to do/see.

It may be a bit too early to really start planning but wanted to put it out there!

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Phenix Rising posted:

We're starting to think seriously about going to WK12 this year and would love any advice/feedback from goons who have gone in the past. Best way to buy tickets, best places to stay (thinking an Airbnb with a guide, potentially?), places to check out during the trip and, of course, any extra wrestling junk to do/see.

It may be a bit too early to really start planning but wanted to put it out there!

WARNING: I know no Japanese. I probably violated so many social taboos during my trips to Japan. I am a big goof and just do poo poo without research. So this might be more of a What Not To Do Guide/Travelogue, and maybe someone else will write a more helpful one. If anyone has any corrections to any of this please, please correct me. This is very long, and maybe overly specific, but it's a lotta poo poo I wish I'd known so maybe it'll help somebody out.

I went to Japan for the first time this year. I didn't plan anything beyond going to NJPW on 1/4. Figured I'd just wander around, see the sights.

But Tokyo shuts down around New Year's, so I couldn't do anything like go to museums or nice restaurants. There were shows at Korakuen every day though, so I ended up seeing wrestling every day drat day. I thought this would kill my love of graps but it only strengthened it. I ended up going back a few months later, saw tons more wrestling, and still haven't OD'd. I'd fuckin' kill to go back for the G1. And for WK 12.

So I say if you have the means and the desire you have to go. You will not regret it. Do it as soon as possible. Who knows how much longer this poo poo's gonna be good; at the rate the roster's getting injured WK13 might be headlined by BONE SOLDIER vs. YOSHITATSU.

TICKETS:

I bought my WK ticket from https://ticket.tickebo.jp/pc/en/index.html. I don't think you can pick your seat -- you just choose a pricing tier and they assign you a seat at a later date. If you wanna be on the floor I recommend splurging on the most expensive ticket, if you can get one. I bought a second tier ticket at 10,000 yen, which put me on the floor but the view was garbage. Second to last row, comprised entirely of gaijin. We were all way bigger than all the poor Japanese folk in the row behind us, but not big enough to have a clear view of the ring, and the 'tron was also partially obscured. The show was still amazing, but that was because I got to freak out with English speakers. I probably woulda been slightly disappointed without the company of those fine guys and gals.

I think WK tickets go on sale in October, and I think fan club members get first crack at 'em. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you do buy from tickebo you can get a digital ticket. For some reason there are separate lines for tickebo digital ticket holders. I didn't know this, so I got in the wrong line. I missed Scott Norton's entrance for the Rumble. I'm still bummed about that.

As far as I know you you can't buy New Years Dash tickets if you're overseas, and it sells out real fast. If someone knows a way to get Dash tickets please share.

http://en.puwota.com has a list of upcoming shows, along with links to promotion websites and google maps. I dunno when most promotions usually announce dates, but if you're going during New Years chances are you will be able to see all the major promotions -- I think NOAH's the only one that didn't run Korakuen while I was there, and nothing was sold out way in advance aside from NYD. I went to everything I could. They were all fun in some way. Even Zero One. Even the joshi shows with the real creepy crowds.

For most non-NJPW shows I went to tickets started at 3,000 yen and went up to 5,000-8,000. I think buying tickets at the box office the day of the show tacks an extra 500-1,000 yen to the price so it's good to buy in advance. Web sites should have ticket prices.

For some shows you can buy tickets from the Loppi machines you'll find at some Lawson convenience stores. You enter a code, pick your seat, machine prints out a receipt, you bring it up to the counter, pay, and they print out your ticket. I don't know any Japanese so I spent a lot of time futzing around with the machine before successfully printing a receipt. There are a few Loppi guides online but most of them are about buying tickets for the Ghibli Museum. I think this is the one non-Ghibli guide that helped me the most: https://allabout-japan.com/en/article/2701/

If you check a card on a promotion's website and see that poo poo it means you can go down to Lawson's, punch in that code, and buy a ticket.

If you wanna see Dragon Gate you can email info@iheartdg.com. They set aside some standing room tickets for me in April, which I picked up from a table inside Korakuen. Was kinda ticked off when I saw they had actual seats available at the box office, but I think puro has some weird ticket poo poo going on, where different wrestlers/vendors are allocated blocks of tickets. Maybe the iheartdg dude just gets standing room cuz foreigners tend to no-show. I dunno!

I was told stardom@friend.ocn.ne.jp is the email address for Stardom ticket inquiries but when I wrote them I never got a reply.

There's a store not far from Tokyo Dome city called Champions. It's on the second floor of a building near the NJPW shop. Small, mostly videos and t-shirts. Also sells tickets. Owner/employee I always saw there knew enough English that I was able to ask about upcoming shows and to buy tickets for the ones he had. Helped to have the show's card open on my phone.

Korakuen box office is weird. If you wanna buy a ticket a few hours before bell you're fine. Went there the morning of one show and they wouldn't sell me a ticket, told me to come back later. Maybe it's related to the ticket allocation poo poo, I dunno, I don't speak Japanese, and the box office peeps don't seem to speak much English. My requests stressed them out, and I still feel kinda bad for that. If you take the elevator up to the 5th floor during the day you can buy advance tickets for shows there. Or at least I did. They didn't seem too distressed and they took my money so it probably wasn't too big a faux pas.

You can also buy tickets at some shows -- I went to a noon Ice Ribbon show and got a ticket for that night's DDT show, for example. Which was great cuz i thought DDT was sold out. It was the New Year's show. I rang in 2017 watching half the indie talent rushing to ringside and take topes. If you are there on New Years go to the fuckin' DDT show. It is funny as gently caress.

ATTENDING A SHOW:

Always take the stairs in Korakuen. The graffiti is great. You will see something new every time.

You can bring food and drinks into Korakuen. I believe the limit is two drinks and maybe two food items, but from what I can tell no one checks and people regularly bring whatever. You can bring in booze. I recommend Strong Zero. It gives me heart palpitations and hot flashes, but I love it. I dunno if there's a ban on hard liquor but I brought in a bottle of Beefeater I got at 7-11 for 500 yen and no one kicked me out so...if it is prohibited maybe they just let foreigners slide.

You can also bring food and drinks into Sumo Hall. The family I sat with brought their entire loving kitchen, it was insane. I had a bottle of booze in my coat and again, no one hassled me, or, like, frisked me. It is a different world. You can probably sneak to another seat within your section if the venue isn't sold out, and no one will stop you, because a Japanese person might not do such a thing. I'm an honorary Japanese now, because I believe in honor. Also: I'm chicken. But the other foreigners I met said they'd done it, maybe you could do it, and risk bringing shame to your family and nation. Sumo Hall is a great venue, but if you get a box seat you have to take your shoes off. Also it's probably nice if you go with people you know -- again, that family brought enough food to stock a Family Mart and poo poo was cramped.

Tokyo Dome has more security. I think you can bring food. I know you can bring 2 drinks, but they require you to open the drinks and pour them into a big cup. So I had two Strong Zero tallboys in this plastic cup and I kinda downed it before the opening match was over and spent most of WK real hosed up. During the show they have girls running around, kinda cosplaying like Arale, with kegs on their back. They sell booze. Maybe they sell food too. I just bought booze. They got whiskey highballs and chuhi and beer.

Take a piss break during the Cody match, cuz that's what everyone else in the venue did. Sorry, Juice. I love you, but I didn't watch that match. I'm sure you won though.

If you have a standing room ticket at Korakuen try and get there early and stand against the wall behind the orange seats. Better view. The upper tier where they hang the banners from sucks; unless you're dangling off the side it's hard to see anything.

There's a coin locker in the lobby of Korakuen, and you'll also find them at train stations. They're expensive, 300-500yen I think, but gently caress are they convenient if you're carrying around a ton of poo poo. Recommend storing stuff there if you can, cuz if you're larger than the average Japanese person you'll probably be crowding them enough without all your bags all up in their area. This is less of an issue if you get the bleacher seats. They offer plenty of room, are pretty comfortable, and worth the extra price. Ringside's also probably amazing but I never got seats there, but there's always a chance some guy doing a Bruiser Brody act will wander into the crowd and stomp on your junk. The orange seats can be a bit tight if you are on the larger side, but better than the ones at fuckin' Hammerstein. Can't believe Japan's got bigger seats than the USA. Shameful.

You hang around the Dome enough you will see a ton of wrestlers. The first few times I was just like "oh, it's so and so, that's neat" and just went about my business. But after awhile I just got over myself and started saying "hi, really enjoyed your match" and such to guys I (often literally) bumped into, and they were all incredibly nice and seemed to appreciate it. So maybe take a second to say nice things to people if they aren't busy! People love hearing nice things.

BUYING/DOING WRESTLING-RELATED poo poo:

Most of the good shops are near Tokyo Dome City. Champions has shirts. It is right near the NJ shop, which is also small but has great graffiti in the stairway and a good selection of current merchandise. The merch lines at WK were super brutal, so if you see something you want at the NJ shop I'd just buy it there.

YTR's bar is right down the street from the NJ shop. http://ebrietas.jp/ I was told they show NJ shows there, but uh...that's not true, cuz I went during New Year's Dash and busted in on a dude prepping the place for the afterparty. Sorry, Japan, I don't know what I'm doing. You take an elevator to get there, it's on the second floor I think. After NYD they were having an all you can eat/drink deal, but I didn't get to go -- started feeling real sick and I was leaving the next day so I went home early. I bet it was a real blast.

http://www.toudoukan.com/ is a few blocks away from the NJ Shop and is the place to go for wrestling stuff. It is overwhelming. I spent a ton of time there just looking at t-shirts and masks and records. The t-shirt selection is amazing, but sadly short on Zeus shirts. Lots of foreigners up in there around 1/4. I'm usually a shy guy but I ended up talking to a ton of wrestling fans while I was there and most of them were cool.

Somewhere in that neighborhood is a shop that I think sells nothing but masks. I never went into it. They had a sign on the sidewalk covered with photos of Tiger Mask. It looked like it might be super pricey, the kinda place where they buzz you in.

There's a wrestling shop called Backdrop in Akihabara, but it's mostly Western poo poo. I bought a CMLL sticker there. Maybe the place to go if you wanna pay a lotta yen for old Jakks WWF figures? I think it was closed around the holidays though.

Nakano Broadway is this massive, multistory mall that is filled with manga and toy shops. It also has one store that's all about deathmatch wrestling, Kinnikuman, metal, and old horror manga. I think it's called Chojin Graveyard. It's very cool. https://twitter.com/chojinhakaba29 I dunno if there are any other wrestling stores in there, but if you're on SA chances are there's at least half a dozen shops in this joint that will make you swoon. Sadly none of them had the Stan Hansen or Vader Meidcom Sofubis I was looking for, but there is a ton of Inoki and Tiger Mask merch there if that's your thing.

ACCOMMODATIONS:

I did an airbnb on my first trip. It was in a less crowded, more residential neighborhood, about a 15 minute train ride to Korakuen/the Dome. Think it was Arakawa? Very glad I stayed there and not one of the more touristy areas. Place was small but comfortable, the host was very nice and helpful, and the streets were never overwhelmingly crowded. I think it cost $35ish a night. Included PocketWifi, which I'll get into later. Recommend this if you need lots of "me" time.

Second time I stayed in a capsule hotel in Ginza. It was $20ish a night. I was worried it might be total hell but it was pretty great and a price like that is hard to beat. Place was way more plush than most American hotels I've been to. Capsule wasn't bad at all. I'm 6' and, at times, kinda big, and I was never uncomfortable in mine. I brought ear plugs but only wore them the first night. Only woke up twice by drunk salarymen checking in late, which is better than my experience in American hotels. A hostel is probably a better choice but I'd do a capsule hotel again if I couldn't book one and wasn't traveling with someone I'm, like, sleeping with.

AIRPLANES

I'm an American. I flew from New York. I dunno if any of this advice will help people outside the USA, but:

I dunno much about flying. I think I paid $1100ish for my holiday flight which from what I'm told isn't the best price but isn't the worst. The second flight in April was a little over half that, which I think may be an insane deal and is the entire reason I went back so soon. I don't know how likely it is to get a price like that after Christmas. I haven't flown a ton, but Japan Airlines is the best airline I've ever been on. Pretty decent seats in coach, you can watch old NJPW matches, food and drinks and booze are free, the meals aren't good but y'know...I've had worse, and they have this little SKY OASIS by the bathrooms where you can stock up on snacks and drinks. Gotta pay for wifi though.

MONEY AND TRANSPORATION
Again, I'm an American. Dunno what to do if you're from outside the US.

Do not go to a currency exchange. Instead go to a Jpost Bank ATM at the airport and withdraw money there. ATMs at 7-11s are good too if you need more money during your stay. You will pay a withdrawal fee and probably fees from your bank but it's way, way cheaper and easier than doing a currency exchange. Japan doesn't really do credit cards, though I saw some touristy shops in Akiba that took 'em. For the most part you will need cash.

Get a Suica or a Pasmo card. Pretty sure you can get them from any of the ticket dispensers at Tokyo train stations. You pay like a 500 yen deposit for your card that you'll get back when you return it at the end of your trip. Greatly simplifies taking the train, and you can use them at certain vending machines, convenience stores, coin lockers. Just tap the reader and bam, you got your poo poo. You can also recharge them at the same machines you get them from.

The Skyliner is the express train from Narita Airport to Tokyo. It costs around $20, and I think the trip is half as short as the regular train. About an hour, maybe? Regular train is $10. I've never taken it. I assume it's fine. But the Skyliner is very fast, has assigned seats, and has space for your luggage, which you won't need to worry about anyone stealing because it's Japan. I can't believe how many times people would just leave their poo poo lying by me, a big scary American, while they went to the bathroom or whatever. It is a different world, believe it.

In my experience the Tokyo train system is pretty easy to navigate. All the signs and announcements are in English. The trains are incredibly punctual. If they're a minute late there will be an announcement. I still recommend having a phone for GPS, but I bought this Tokyo handbook in case I was ever in a deadzone and never needed it.

During the holidays I think the trains run later than usual. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I spent like $5-10 on train fare ever day, but I also did a ton of walking, and rarely ventured too far from where I was staying. I think you can buy some unlimited train pass for tourists that costs like $300, which might be a good idea if you're traveling outside Tokyo, but poo poo, that was way outside my budget. If you're lost ask employees for help, maybe have a map on your phone to point to-- most of the train people I met knew some English and were always very helpful.

From what I hear cabs are expensive. I never took one.

FOOD

Most fancy or family restaurants close down during New Years. Fast food does not. I am not a fast food guy in the USA, but in Japan I was all over that poo poo and it was all good enough and never made me feel sick. Except for the KFC in Tokyo Dome city. That sucked so bad I threw it out. When I went in April I was able to eat at all sorts of fancy joints, some real cozy coffee shops, lots of great noodle shops and I recommended doing so if you can, but if I go back in January I'll be pinching pennies and eating my meals at Family Mart for $10 a day and I'll love it.

Many restaurants have English menus and will advertise it in the window. Even if they don't they likely have a picture menu, or replica food in the window. Just point at what you want, or maybe take a photo of the replica you wanna eat for real and show it to the staff. Some restaurants have ticket machines by the entrance. You punch in what you want, enter the money, then hand the ticket to a person behind the counter. I think at every non-burger chain/ticket machine shop I went to you pay up front at the register after you finish eating.

ONLINE/CELL PHONE

A lotta airbnb hosts advertise free Pocket Wifi, which will let you stay on-line in Japan. They're ok but it's more poo poo you have to carry around and charge. But if it's free...hey, why not. I used that + my slow rear end international T-Mobile coverage during my trip in January and it was good. In April I got a disposable sim card, which was like $20ish per 1GB, I think? Not the best price. Japan is weird and if you want to rent your own Pocket Wifi you will have to reserve it at least a few days in advance and pick it up at the airport or a handful of department stores. Same with many sim cards. I didn't know this, so when I first arrived I had to hoof it down to Akihabara to buy a sim that was probably overpriced. Don't be like me: figure out how you're gonna do online way in advance.

NON-WRESTLING PLACES I LOVED
If you're there on New Year's Day go to a shrine. I went to two; a small one near my airbnb, which was very pretty. I did the little prayer ritual with the handwashing and bell ringing. It was nice. Then I went to the biggest shrine, the name of which I can't recall right now. I think it was near in the Emperor's old palace. The walk to the palace is long and breathtakingly beautiful. Wide road surrounded by all these gorgeous trees. Had me feeling a whole lotta emotions. They have food stands about halfway through, and they are good. Pig out on food. Then maybe leave, because you'll walk a bit more, and you'll start getting all weepy eyed again, but then you'll hit a flatbed truck with a jumbotron on it blasting commercials. That's when the whole experience goes downhill. After that I waited in an hour to do the whole handwashing/bell thing again, but when I got to the end of the line it turned out all you do is throw a coin into a giant a tarp-covered pit and say a prayer. It is a ripoff. Everything prior to that is amazing though.

Akihabara is not what it used to be. It's a lotta moé garbage now. There are still some top tier video game places though. TAITO HEY! is an amazing arcade. Great selection of retro stuff, along with amazing shooters and fighting games. You can play Super Turbo for 10 yen. I was too intimidated to do that. I got bopped playing Guilty Gear Xrd and Tekken 7 instead. If you are into console games...Super Potato is overrated and overpriced, but maybe worth a look. Most stores in Akihabara are overrated and overpriced, except for Friends, which is nice, cozy, very mom and pop. Had a good selection of old game books, prices didn't seem insane. If you want to see old J-PC stuff head over to BEEP!. They have all these old computers on display and it is so hot, as long as you get hot off old computers.

The aforementioned Nakano Broadway has a store that specializes in old krautrock and synth records, and one of the best art comic stores I've ever seen -- I held off on buying anything for myself during the trip until I ended up in that store, where I bought a ton of artsy fartsy poo poo I can't read but is gorgeous as hell. Lots of rubber monster poo poo in that mall. Lots of stores that could double as museums. If you are at all into manga you might pass out if you enter any of the Mandarake shops in Tokyo.

The Snoopy Museum is good if you like Charles Schulz and viewing original comic art. That is my thing and I found viewing his originals incredibly moving and inspiring.

All the museums I went to were good, though I wish I'd skipped the old timey pottery exhibit at the National Museum of Modern Art. poo poo cost like 1,500 yen and it was just a bunch old rear end pots. If you're into pots and that exhibit's still on, yeah, go check out those pots. Rest of the museum was cool though. Edo Tokyo Museum is good. Near Sumo Hall. The National Art Center is good. Lots of things are good. If the museums are open when you go I recommend just going to whatever you can.

I went to a rock show in Shinjuku and it was fun, but shows start early. Around 6PM, ending before 10. I think it's so people can get home before the trains stop. Go to a show. If they ask what band you're there to see and you don't know any of 'em just pick the one with the best name. They get a cut of your ticket price then. When I went my money went to "TEENAGER KICK rear end", which is a good name.

This is way longer than I expected but I hope there's some good info buried in all these words. Please go to Japan. You will have a great time.

SLUM KING fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 28, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tokyo loving rules and you can spend your entire trip there and still not run out of things to see and do (even on New Years holidays I spent a ton of time just wandering about/sitting in parks - Ueno Park is awesome - plus I got to see the Emperor!), but the unlimited JR Pass ticket for tourists is a Godsend for getting around by train, and I forced myself to leave Tokyo to head down for a daytrip to Kyoto, and I wish I'd done a bit more travel outside of Tokyo.

I avoided the really touristy areas as well as Roppongi which didn't sound like my type of place, so I can't speak for those areas but everywhere else I went I felt incredibly safe and at ease. Everybody is extremely friendly, there are English language signs EVERYWHERE and English announcements follow the Japanese ones on all the trains. There are heaps of little stalls selling delicious food but also plenty of restaurants (the most packed place I saw was a TGI Fridays, which cracked me up, it must be exotic), and it seems like there is a convenience store on every block if you feel like just grabbing an easy snack. Tokyo Train Station is like a little mall packed with stores too so if you're on a budget it's pretty easy to get by just grabbing lunch from there on the way in and then picking up dinner on the way back.

I set aside a spending budget and brought that money with me in my wallet, I was determined not to spend any more than that (especially after a disaster with my original hotel booking saw me pay close to a $1000 for a last minute emergency hotel replacement) so I got by entirely on cash the whole time I was there. The Suica cards are supposed to make life pretty easy though if you don't want to be carrying around cash. Like I said though, I always felt pretty safe wherever I went.

SLUM KING posted:

Please go to Japan. You will have a great time.

:agreed:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I still have a guide drafted up, it's not as heavy on Japan tourism as much as locations/details for wrestling. The one missing part is tickets, because it's hard to say "learn how to use the Loppi machine or ask somebody else to," but that's really it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAvs_u0pdQ

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

NJPW has posted a match between a former WWE champ and a former 2-time NXT champ to their YT channel that was a pretty big deal last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtNTRC0kz0

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Here's a thing, what's with the incessant hate of Taichi?

Sure he's not great, but he's no more boring than a lot of the other lower card guys who get flung in multi man's

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Thrifting Day! posted:

Sure he's not great, but he's no more boring than a lot of the other lower card guys who get flung in multi man's

Taichi cheated on his wife and made that his gimmick. For this reason, he sucks and he should go home.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Thrifting Day! posted:

He's just poo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Venomous posted:

Taichi cheated on his wife and made that his gimmick. For this reason, he sucks and he should go home.

That's actually a great idea for a gimmick. He is just a really lovely wrestler.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

It's about the same as small change..' Naito says that Dominion will be his last match as champion- if he wins, the IC belt is gone.

Goodbye Naito's reign, you were Fun

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i think i prefer the IC title just going away rather than, say, unifying it with the dumb US one
i support you naitoo~

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Naito needs to melt down the title and make a real tranquilo chain out of it

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

SLUM KING posted:

I bought my WK ticket from https://ticket.tickebo.jp/pc/en/index.html. I don't think you can pick your seat -- you just choose a pricing tier and they assign you a seat at a later date. If you wanna be on the floor I recommend splurging on the most expensive ticket, if you can get one. I bought a second tier ticket at 10,000 yen, which put me on the floor but the view was garbage. Second to last row, comprised entirely of gaijin. We were all way bigger than all the poor Japanese folk in the row behind us, but not big enough to have a clear view of the ring, and the 'tron was also partially obscured. The show was still amazing, but that was because I got to freak out with English speakers. I probably woulda been slightly disappointed without the company of those fine guys and gals.

Hah! Hello gaijin row friend! I found it hilarious how they decided to do ticket distribution that was basically "gently caress it, toss all the foreigners together, they'll like that". I mean those seats were pretty cool for the Rumble entrances and the post match walk outs but they were a little far back. I also was part of the Great Cody Rhodes Pissbreak Line of '16.

This guide is perfect, can't think of much more to add to it other than I loved the experience so much I'm likely going back for the next WK show because it was just an awesome experience all around, plus I just love Tokyo as a city. As J-Ru said, there's just so much to do and see in the city, so I never actually got out. Might try and doing a bit more exploring this time around, I've previously been to Osaka and that was a great time too.

Edit: Oh, Pocket Wifi is something I will say, I've used Sakura https://www.sakuramobile.jp/mobile-router/ on my 3 visits to Japan and it gets delivered straight to my hotel. The first time I'd forgot and booked after I arrived and it was in the hotel lobby by lunchtime. They also run promotions quite often for extra data. It was like having LTE wherever I went and slid in easy to my inside jacket pocket, I was really satisfied with the service and the combination of that and really great Google Maps in Japan meant I managed to find the original Ribera Steakhouse pretty easily. You too could dine with a signed photo of Chris Benoit staring down upon you!

Raeg fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 30, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Naito needs to stop trying so hard to be as Ingobernable as Rush it's never going to happen. Either learn to take joy in beating up old fat men or steal another stable!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

checksin posted:

i think i prefer the IC title just going away rather than, say, unifying it with the dumb US one
i support you naitoo~

kinda hope Naito wins the US one and never defends or mentions it ever again.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

coconono posted:

Just show a video clip of him walking up to the TSA checkpoint and throwing it in the trash

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks so much for the feedback and advice! I'm gonna be saving that all and looking back at it repeatedly over the next few months as I psych myself up to actually do the trip.

I remember last year or the year before there was a livestream of someone exploring the city and they were in some insane wrestling store with old programs, records, etc. It sounds like one the places mentioned above (Toudoukan) and I will definitely want to hit that place up.

You're all great! If multiple goons are going, it'd be fun to meet up.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 31, 2017

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

coconono posted:

Great, another thing Naito can steal from Mexico.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phenix Rising posted:

I remember last year or the year before there was a livestream of someone exploring the city and they were in some insane wrestling store with old programs, records, etc. It sounds like one the places mentioned above (Toudoukan) and I will definitely want to hit that place up.

You're all great! If multiple goons are going, it'd be fun to meet up.

it's most likely Toudoukan.

and if I'm in Tokyo at the time I'll try to organize something.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I am shocked that the last match on both nights determined the winners of each bracket.

So I think that's 22 straight tournaments where that has happened.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Okada/Tanahashi tie that knocked both guys out of last year's G1 was cool for something a little different, but yeah you can generally suss things out by looking at the matchups scheduled for the last block days.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

What the gently caress happened to KUSHIDA? Guy goes from ace to jobber in 4 month span. Who did he piss off? I know he won the ROH TV title but I'm speaking specifically in NJPW.

Look at this guy being all over reactionary and poo poo

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I signed up for New Japan World last Wednesday and got charged 999 yen. Now today I got charged another 999 yen.

Do they just charge you at the beginning of every month regardless of when you sign up?

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

I signed up for New Japan World last Wednesday and got charged 999 yen. Now today I got charged another 999 yen.

Do they just charge you at the beginning of every month regardless of when you sign up?

Yes

• Locked thread