Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Sasha, Iseria, Kaelin, Cecil

The dragon's giving me more Final Fantasy vibes, myself.

Also fun fact, re: lizardmen as party members, there was a scrapped dragon/lizardman playable race, called "Horun". Seems like they got collapsed into Therians, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results:

quote:

Sasha: 10
Kaelin: 9
Iseria: 6
Dosen: 5
Magda: 5

Raven: 3
Mio: 3
Cecil: 3
Jana: 2
Gram: 2
Heaven's Wrath Mio: 1
Alexis: 1

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Looks like a Yugioh dragon to me.

Sasha, Kaelin, Isera, Cecil

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tyty posted:

Looks like a Yugioh dragon to me.

Stop, you're unleashing my Evil Eye.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed!

quote:

Sasha: 12
Kaelin: 11
Iseria: 8
Dosen: 5
Magda: 5

Mio: 4
Cecil: 4
Raven: 3
Jana: 2
Gram: 2
Heaven's Wrath Mio: 1
Alexis: 1

I hope you like another Chain party.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Update:

It already exists

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! It's been a bit since we had an overworld puzzle to solve before we fought a boss. That's a pretty nice arena for a puzzle too. Very large. Plenty of space to maneuver.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Golem has a little thing where you had to hit switch to block off his reinforcements, but otherwise yes. Although I'm not sure if it's clear from what Ragnar's shown you what the puzzle actually is.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 32. We continue the card games, but we also have beloved characters from both a previous EO game and a previous LP. Also there's a boss fight somewhere.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 25, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I see MEGAQUEEN is now the queen of games. :v:

Also, the 5th Stratum is probably my favorite Stratum in the entire series.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The crystal gimmick before engaging the boss was neat.
:lol: at the dragon's midlife crisis there.

:perfect:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
"You made a major, potentially mindblowing discovery?
Well, that is all nice and good - but you made it to the 5th Stratum.
Five... That's a bigger number than four. Really, though - five... Wow."

Where is Cass when you need someone to monologue about your exploration being actually interesting?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

"You made a major, potentially mindblowing discovery?
Well, that is all nice and good - but you made it to the 5th Stratum.
Five... That's a bigger number than four. Really, though - five... Wow."

Where is Cass when you need someone to monologue about your exploration being actually interesting?

To be fair, it's not like any of them have seen it. I get the impression that you're very bad at describing exactly what it is you've found. Ragnar's made the decision that the characters are from a world that's relatively modern, scientifically, but the impression I got when I played was that you're all medieval peasants being flabbergasted by something beyond your understanding. Like, I don't think my characters would've known what space is, and the concept of "above the sky" is just kind of nonsensical when they try to explain it to others.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 25, 2017

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Clarste posted:

the impression I got when I played was that you're all medieval peasants being flabbergasted by something beyond your understanding.

That... is entirely fair.
A flying ship is easier to explain (especially when there were already legends about it) as are flying islands slightly above that.
So the most your characters would get out of the 5th Stratum is "a forest that always has a night sky even if it is bright daylight".
Which while strange is not too outstanding when compared to halls haunted by the undead or even a beautiful crystal cave in a tree.

Somewhat a revival of the spirit of the 5th Stratum of the original EO - a stratum that is pretty mindblowing for the player (even if you never heard of Shinjuku before you would recognize what the stratum is) but almost par for the course for the characters.
All Strata are strange - even the obligatory stacked forest in the beginning. So for them and the rest of the town it's not all that special.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Alcharagia, you are such a Yugioh nerd. But even though I'm not a fan of the show, you manage to make those jokes and I still laugh. That deserves some props!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
MEGAQUEEN wielding an army of food-soldiers seems completely perfect.

God I hate facing Madolches.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat, chains don't gently caress around. They might not be as flashy as some of the big individual hit attacks, but that poo poo adds up quick.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think this is around the point where all the dps classes start to shine. I mean, Chains aren't weak, but I don't find that level of damage especially impressive this far in the game. I mean, even discounting the obviously broken strategies. Especially since it required Dosen to do nothing but proc it every turn. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to bring someone else who does more than 500 damage.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 25, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

I think this is around the point where all the dps classes start to shine. I mean, Chains aren't weak, but I don't find that level of damage especially impressive this far in the game. I mean, even discounting the obviously broken strategies. Especially since it required Dosen to do nothing but proc it every turn. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to bring someone else who does more than 500 damage.

Well, let's say you put a Hound or something in Dosen's spot. They've got stab attacks that do significantly more damage than Dosen's piddly little basic attacks. If you were to put a Shaman in Magda's spot then every other turn you could proc a chain with Oracle: Dance, too, which would also do more damage than a bow shot from Magda and simultaneously make any chain hits after that do more damage by lowering the target's resistance. Depending on how often Chain Double activates, you're looking at, what, 1500-2000 damage per turn? Maybe 2500 if you get lucky and proc Chain Double on two of those?

But I also don't really have a ton of context for if that's actually a decent amount of damage per turn from one character at this stage in EO5. I'm sure Sanzu puts chains to shame, at least.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

That was nice. I like Madga's voice.

I'm actually happy that I watched the video, this was great, simply for Madga's voice.

Also, a space EO stratum!

Niiiice.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Official EO Characters Rating

Council Members:
1. Margherita
2. Remus
3. Outland Count
4. Dubois
5. That guy whose name I always forget
6. Flowdia because gently caress Flowdia

Guildmasters:
1. Marion
2. Edgar
3. The Guy From EO4
4. The Guy From EO3
5. YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

Innkeepers:
1. Genetta
2. Darla
3. Hanna
4. Quona
5. That kid from EO3
6. Angie
7. Fuckin Carlos or whatever his name was

Shopkeepers
1. Edie or Cool Edie
2. Wynne
3. Ceric
4. Shilleka
5. Abigail

Thank you for listening

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I cried when I reached the fifth stratum in my game.
i was playing with the FM music and it reminded me how far Etrian Odyssey has come.
It's an exact mirror of lost shinjuku, except humany went foward, instead of losing their civilization, they've made a one.
also when you find a squirrel

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

alcharagia posted:

Official EO Characters Rating

Council Members:
1. Margherita
2. Remus
3. Outland Count
4. Dubois
5. That guy whose name I always forget
6. Flowdia because gently caress Flowdia

Guildmasters:
1. Marion
2. Edgar
3. The Guy From EO4
4. The Guy From EO3
5. YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

Innkeepers:
1. Genetta
2. Darla
3. Hanna
4. Quona
5. That kid from EO3
6. Angie
7. Fuckin Carlos or whatever his name was

Shopkeepers
1. Edie or Cool Edie
2. Wynne
3. Ceric
4. Shilleka
5. Abigail

Thank you for listening

You forgot barkeepers. Lemme fix that for you:

1. Cass.
2. Missy.
3. Cass.
4. Cass.
5. Cass.
6. Cass.
7 through ∞: Cass.

Disputing this list is tantamount to treason. Unless you want to swap Missy's and Cass's places, in which case I will allow it.

Jokes aside, I legitimately don't remember a thing about the barkeepers in EOU or EO4, except that one of them called your group "kiddos" I think. I don't feel much for Melina, but my opinion might change a bit if I were actually playing through the game. Cass and Missy, on the other hands, have personalities.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Valerie said "kiddos." Kirtida talked about kismet. Melina is #1 on the Himukai Titty Wildness scale. Other than these facts they are all the same character. As such, creating a list with three entries would be purposeless.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ironically, Valerie was probably the character with the most amount of personality in the original release of EO1. Mainly because the NPCs in EO1 only had 1 line per stratum instead of per floor like in all the other games. (Aside from the Guildkeeper, who only had 1 line period outside of quests. And Untold took out a questline in the original game giving her a bit of characterization.)

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
If EOV ever gets localized I wanna use a party similar to that Crystal Dragon party. Probably swap a Herbalist for a hound for kicks.

Actually, how well do no herbalist party's work? After running a A/M in EO 4 I'm a bit more comfortable with no dedicated heals, it worked great there.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BrightWing posted:

If EOV ever gets localized I wanna use a party similar to that Crystal Dragon party. Probably swap a Herbalist for a hound for kicks.

Actually, how well do no herbalist party's work? After running a A/M in EO 4 I'm a bit more comfortable with no dedicated heals, it worked great there.

Clarste said he got through the game just fine with a Dog-Leading Hound for a primary healer and a Heaven's Love Shaman for passive healing.

I was doing a run without an Herbalist because my first runs of EO games always have the Medic character in them, and it went pretty well...up until I overwrote the save.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Clarste said he got through the game just fine with a Dog-Leading Hound for a primary healer and a Heaven's Love Shaman for passive healing.

I was doing a run without an Herbalist because my first runs of EO games always have the Medic character in them, and it went pretty well...up until I overwrote the save.

No, I didn't have a shaman in my Hound-healer run. The shaman healer was in another run entirely. The Hound works fine as a healer with no support at all.

Honestly I never use dedicated healers in any of these games, although I started with 4 so I don't know if that works in the earlier games. My assumption is that the game is balanced around using either a Herbalist, Hound, or Shaman as primary healer though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 27, 2017

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Running without a Medic in EO1 is absolute suicide (and completely pointless since early on the only other party member you could fill that slot with is a Troubadour), running without a War Magus in EO2 makes the game extremely difficult--same for EO3 but replace War Magus with Monk/Princess. EO4 is where running without someone that has dedicated healing started becoming viable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, my EO5 party was Fencer, Cestus, Masurao, Hound, and Necromancer.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm just going to use every class I can.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 33. I almost made a joke about Raven and Mio as Battler and Beatrice or something, and then I remembered the weird poo poo that goes on in Chiru and thought better of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please say robe girl's wish isn't, like, "to die" or something boring like that.

Maybe it can be "give us a push"? A SPACE push?!

I want to be excited about space.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Something that I don't think was conveyed well by the screenshots is just freaky it is to see these cute, chubby birds suddenly pop out a bunch of spikes. Personally I took that as the first sign that something was deeply wrong with this place.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 27, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Personally, I read クレイドル as clay doll, another way to say golem(VLR trivia)

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

That's an interesting gimmick.

Reminds me of the 2nd stratum in EO4, except on a much proper scale.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

That's an interesting gimmick.

That's not the gimmick. That's just a weird quirk. The gimmick is way better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

juicedup posted:

Personally, I read クレイドル as clay doll, another way to say golem(VLR trivia)

Wouldn't doll be ドール?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Clarste posted:

That's not the gimmick. That's just a weird quirk. The gimmick is way better.

I'm looking forward to seeing it then.

By the way, I still haven't gotten the handle on the plot? I guess plot happened in the 3rd stratum, but the 5th stratum boss has always been plot important in some way, in every EO game before, being the final boss and all. The 4th and 5th stratum is also where the plot usually kicks into high gear, but it hasn't happened yet? Or maybe it has and died down, like 3rd stratum.

I mean, finding space biodome is a pretty great thing, but then again, making any discovery is pretty great thing.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
So now people are getting interested in us being above the sky.
Maybe it just took some time for it to sink in.

Or maybe our group is just really bad at explaining stuff and it took other adventurers following in out footsteps (at least that's what I always imagine what happens once we open the way by defeating the boss) to properly explain to the town people what is going on in the 5th Stratum.
It would not be the first time a EO party is not good at explaining something - we kind of forgot to mention the... other... properties of the Grail of Kings to Gradriel back in EOII.

• Locked thread