Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is there a new hotness for hardcore vanilla SoC? I've got the itch, but not for freeplay.q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Klaus88 posted:

Got a link for that core patch mate?

For some reason, I can't seem to find the original link to it, but I feel it's buried deep within ModDB / my bookmarks. To save the hassle I uploaded it to my own hosting. Just choose your cores, create shortcut to batch file. Debug and no prefetch are already in the batch file.

E: Something is going weird and clicking the link 404's, but copy paste works.

www.digital-signal.net/STALKER/stalker_multicpupatch.7z

H1KE fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 7, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hows Warfare for CoC now? I haven't touched it in like a year and a half. Prior to that, it was still more of a proof of concept "more on the way!" deal.

Also what's the difference between arsenal ovehraul, OWR, and StCoP?

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2017

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been playing Lost Alpha and it's exactly what I've been looking for right now. So far it's familiar but with some change-ups. I haven't been to any of the cut areas - right now I'm stealing the military documents after finding Strelok's hideout, so it's time to schlep back to the Cordon, repair and gear up - but I'm really interested in seeing what they're like.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

buglord posted:

Hows Warfare for CoC now? I haven't touched it in like a year and a half. Prior to that, it was still more of a proof of concept "more on the way!" deal.

Also what's the difference between arsenal ovehraul, OWR, and StCoP?

So far I've been playing the latest build since it came out and it seems solid.

AO3 = more guns better quality
StCoP = around the same amount of guns, different variety, less quality
OWR = basically the original set of weapons except the lr-300 is replaced by the M4 and there's a few new weapons. Best quality.

I use AO3 with a ton of tweaks. Like a lot of guns when firing iron sighted the stock will clip through the camera. This is mitigated by decreasing the scope zoom value.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 8, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I decided to go AO3 and I'm glad I did. Also this has likely been asked hundreds of times, but where do I find basic tool kits in CoC? I somehow stumbled upon the tier 3 toolkit (Bar Duty base chest) but I have trouble finding the other two lower tiers. This is with the latest CoC version, with Warfare and Ao3.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

buglord posted:

I decided to go AO3 and I'm glad I did. Also this has likely been asked hundreds of times, but where do I find basic tool kits in CoC? I somehow stumbled upon the tier 3 toolkit (Bar Duty base chest) but I have trouble finding the other two lower tiers. This is with the latest CoC version, with Warfare and Ao3.

Sometimes vendors have all three teirs of kits, otherwise its up to looting stashes and the favor of RNJesus. :worship::rolldice::worship:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This tier 2 is gonna kill me. That is if STALKERs infamous bugginess and hard crashes kills me first.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Sometimes vendors have all three teirs of kits, otherwise its up to looting stashes and the favor of RNJesus. :worship::rolldice::worship:

I've never found any but Tier 1 at a vendor - stumbled across a few Tier 2s at unmarked stashes, though, and all 3 have been looted from marked stashes.

The lucky find was a Veles at an unmarked stash at the Duty HQ, on my first run to Rostok. :toot:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I just found another T3 kit *sigh*

Speaking of artifacts, I haven't found a single one with my Veles. The only artifact I've seen in the whole game was the weird secret one in Jupiter past the puzzle. Do they not spawn in anomalies any more?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

buglord posted:

Yeah I just found another T3 kit *sigh*

Speaking of artifacts, I haven't found a single one with my Veles. The only artifact I've seen in the whole game was the weird secret one in Jupiter past the puzzle. Do they not spawn in anomalies any more?

They seem to only pop in the big "named" anomaly areas, and usually after emissions. I've occasionally found invisible/inaccessible artifacts because they ended up going vert in gravitational anomalies, and were out of detector-vision range up in the sky. :( Some anomaly-fields also seem to be stingy - I usually have good luck at the grav field north of the train shed in Garbage, but I think I found one or two max at the Burned Village or Potboiler (whatever it's called) at Zaton.

IIRC, I first found anomalies using a Bear in the toxic swamps at Garbage, north from the main-road entry from Cordon... I'd already scavenged a couple from unmarked stashes before I even got a detector.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Less than 10 minutes after I make that post I finally catch an artifact, and I've caught like 4 already.

Also I'm getting horrible FPS drops when entering certain areas, and I want to say it's because of corpses. I have my Warfare settings set to "large squads" which is fun an dandy. But corpses stick around for an insane amount of time. Red forest has around 30-40 monolith corpses in a small area. Getting into a certain range of the corpses causes my FPS to go to <10. But oddly I'm silky smooth at >60FPS when I'm *at* the mass grave looting madly.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

buglord posted:

Less than 10 minutes after I make that post I finally catch an artifact, and I've caught like 4 already.

Such is life in the Zone. :V

I ended up with about four Goldfish really quickly once I got my Veles running - as opposed to how long it took in CoP, which I ran through in vanilla to get used to the gameplay before going CoC.

Other than the Compass and Heart of the oasis, I think the only artifact I never found multiples of was Crystal Thorn, which was in the unmarked blue chest stash at the crooked tree/gravitational anomaly field near the stalker camp in Cordon. I actually ended up only using three Goldfish and two Fireballs most of the time, swapping over to shock-resistance when I had to go dance in the lightning fields.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Late game Warfare starts getting a bit out of hand:

-I was doing some random tasks at Rookie Village and the game spawned 6 pseudogiants and a healthy dose of wild dogs before my very eyes. luckily I happened to be decked out from recent trading and had kg's of ammo to burn through. everyone but the essential npc's were murdered though.

-Strangely, the whole faction wars thing breaks sometimes. A Freedom dude in my squad kept killing Ecologists I was hanging out with. He'd engage in the weird combat maneuvering with the crouching and moonwalking while incessantly firing his rifle and yelling blabber. The ecologists would still be chilling out around the campfire like nothing was happening until he started looting. They'd incapacitate him and then wait for another Freedomer to heal him. Then he'd go back to killing Ecologists unrestrained until the Ecologists decided it was enough again. This repeated until he died properly.

-Upon entering Rostock/Bar, 50-60 mutants ranging from dogs to psuedogiants to beta-zombies, boars, fleshes, psuedodogs were all coagulated in some unholy ball of hate terrorizing the perimeter guards. because they were all so confined, sometimes mutants would collide and catapult into the air skyrim style. I was seriously upset at myself for not having more than 2 grenades, because those things clear mutantballs with industrial efficiency.

-Fought with Monolith troops at Red Forest but this time they had miniguns and the revolver-style grenade launchers. They're worryingly durable at this stage and unless I switch th AP ammo, they can usually shrug off a headshot from my sniper rifle. I think I need something in AO3 that is upgradable with mechanics and strong enough to reliably deliver fatal headshots with regular ammo. Wolf/the weird trader guy in Rookie Village sold me a crazy giant sniper rifle with max damage but just 10 bullets are $9.5k (???)

-Faction takeovers happen pretty quickly now. I'm still figuring out how to directly command squads and bases efficiently, but I ended up letting the game autopilot it because my Freedom homies got kicked out of their home by Mercenaries and Ecologists(??). So far the two winning factions with the most ground are Loners and Monolith. Duty is all but exiled from the zone, while Ecologists hold a surprisingly robust amount of land. Its bizarre to see the Ecologists on radio chat talking about executing captured soldiers.

-Arena fights are fun and good because Warfare rules apply within. Some of the later rounds involve teams but everyone is hardwired to kill each other anyways. Twice I've hidden in some corner while the AI duke it out.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

buglord posted:

-Upon entering Rostock/Bar, 50-60 mutants ranging from dogs to psuedogiants to beta-zombies, boars, fleshes, psuedodogs were all coagulated in some unholy ball of hate terrorizing the perimeter guards. because they were all so confined, sometimes mutants would collide and catapult into the air skyrim style. I was seriously upset at myself for not having more than 2 grenades, because those things clear mutantballs with industrial efficiency.

-Fought with Monolith troops at Red Forest but this time they had miniguns and the revolver-style grenade launchers. They're worryingly durable at this stage and unless I switch th AP ammo, they can usually shrug off a headshot from my sniper rifle. I think I need something in AO3 that is upgradable with mechanics and strong enough to reliably deliver fatal headshots with regular ammo. Wolf/the weird trader guy in Rookie Village sold me a crazy giant sniper rifle with max damage but just 10 bullets are $9.5k (???)

(CoC/no Warfare, so YMMV.)

Yeah, I get dog or boar swarms in some locations pretty regularly, along with a "defend the base/camp from mutants" instaquest, kind of like the zombie-defense task at Yantar. At Great Swamp, Army Warehouses and Dead City, they just come swarming in right near the actual faction base, but Rostok will get spitroasted at both main entrances - the one you're *not* at will be taken care of by the Duty guards, and sometimes there'll still be lootable corpses or even live critters to kill by the time you get there. (Dogs suck, though, because they're radiating you with their attacks or something. :argh:) However, 40-50 assorted boar parts to take to Yantar? <ching!>

Monolith, I've found, go down hard to the .50 Beowulf AR in AOW3 - I usually use AP, because I make a having of buying/looting every loving round of anything I actually use, so when I decided to go from the SCAR to the Beo, I had like 1200 rounds. :getin: One-shot headshots almost always, and usually one- or two-shot torso hits if they weren't in exos. Still ten rounds, and you don't get a real sniper scope (ACOG at best), but that does just fine. The 9x39 rifles don't seem anywhere near as potent, and while the VSSK 12.7mm is awesome, it's also not really suited for non-sniping use.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm at Rostok in Lost Alpha and just killed all the bloodsuckers. Where's the entrance to the secret labs?

I can see why a lot of this stuff was cut so far - the whole "helping Sin" episode kills the pacing, especially having to walk back and forth if you don't have a car (the one I got from the Monolith base got torn up in the escape and blew up when I crashed it). I forget, did you go straight to Yantar after X-18 in the final game?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm loving the hell outta Call of Misery, but why'd they remove the class system?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I never finished Call of Pripyat the first two times I tried to play it. Are there any good quality of life mods for it or should I just go back in Vanilla?

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
One of the biggest things I miss going from SoC to CoP is the frequency of ambient stalker conversations when sitting around campfires. They do still happen, but nowhere near as frequently. Is there a mod that changes the frequency of their conversations? It really added to the atmosphere in SoC.

Theodyn fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 15, 2017

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Disregard my previous question. Also, holy crap you have to fight a lot of Bloodsuckers in Lost Alpha, and good ammo's at a premium.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So what's the consensus on ArmStalker among the thread?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Multiplayer STALKER lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm0Smkm6-8w

I am cautiously optimistic.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I am cautiously cautious.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Hello fellow stalkers. I was wondering what the new hotness for story playthroughs of CoP are. I'm looking for something more guided than Freeplay.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my bony fealty posted:

Multiplayer STALKER lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm0Smkm6-8w

I am cautiously optimistic.

this thing looks loving gorgeous, I love the dense forest environment

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jehde posted:

I am cautiously cautious.

Yeah this can't be said enough. Even if it somehow reaches completion I can't imagine heavily modified Xray to allow for a smooth experience.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

drat that looks awesome, and very uniquely Russian. Hopefully the videos keep coming, especially translated ones.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, uh, what's the deal with Lost Alpha running at literally 10 FPS when I go outside, on a 1070? :geno:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Going down unknown, dark tunnels in stalker is the most nerve-racking poo poo ever.

Nope.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SaltyJesus posted:

Going down unknown, dark tunnels in stalker is the most nerve-racking poo poo ever.

Nope.

You've got a knife and you have a shotgun. You don't have anything to worry about.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I remember when I was afraid of mutants and anomalies. Now I only fear the drat hamsters and their poorly balanced audio cues blowing out my ears

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I really miss these games, and wish we could have gotten some more sequels. I loved creeping around in abandoned factories with a vintorez and a shotgun, ready to face and mutants or bandits that reared their heads.

The vintorez was for sure my favorite weapon throughout the games. It just feels so thematic The Tide in CoP was a monster, and was often my weapon of choice.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Fellis posted:

I remember when I was afraid of mutants and anomalies. Now I only fear the drat hamsters and their poorly balanced audio cues blowing out my ears

I know I wasn't in any kind of real danger, I've been playing these games for a decade now, but it's just so atmospheric that I can't help getting immersed into the claustrophobia anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm the same way; I get really immersed in these games when I play, so even when I have a Vintorez and a Street Sweeper in an exoskeleton, crawling through the basement of an abandoned lab or getting chased by snorks when it's pitch black out is still freaky.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has any mod implemented a feature that turns stalkers hostile when you openly steal from their stashes?

Also, who made Call of Misery? The original Misery people?

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 19, 2017

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I used to think that Clear Sky was the worst Stalker game because of the dumb story and janky systems, but I just noticed an option for "Dynamic Music" and realized that Clear Sky is the best Stalker game.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Have to admit that the dynamic music while really good just doesn't mix for me. It's too upbeat.
The idea of dynamic music however is a great idea for such an atmospheric game. On that I'd have to agree.

but this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOadVFp6bWM

Is what I'd really expect, like exactly. I think this is the song that stands out to me the most. It's downtempo enough to maintain that sense of desolation but intricate and energetic enough to be battle music. But the sound itself... holy poo poo, it works, for me.

Amon's later stuff has a harsher sound to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPbT-8024sk And that blends perfectly.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 22, 2017

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I installed Clear Sky Complete, is there any way to use the default scopes? Some files I can replace? The scopes are almost useless because I can't loving see through them, which kind of defeats the purpose of using one in the first place.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
How is work on the source code going - is there any point in using openXray for a play through? Its been a few years since I played, and I've never finished CoP....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Swartz posted:

Just thought I'd post a cool new thing Bangalore did that does the following:
1) Greatly reduces microstutter in the game
2) Decreases lag caused by lua files
3) Increased memory ceiling before a crash

http://www.mediafire.com/download/15brgil3s1z47rs/lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll

It works with CS and COP. Make sure you back up your original lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll.

Is this still up somewhere?