Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that anything like Drive Girls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjNRWAjYWQ

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

working girls but with driving

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A1BptKRZpc

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Herbotron posted:

holy poo poo car boys

Beam Nick Griffin Drive

What a twist

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Holy poo poo why did I wait so long to start reading this.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 19, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

okay wow i finished the yatterman nights finale lol

the first couple of minutes i was like 'yknow this isnt that bad, no shading but they're doing their best' and then the whole loving second half of the episode!!!!!!!!!!

also why does the blind girl randomly get her sight back what the gently caress!!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big Gobbie

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
homura did NOTHING wrong you FUCKSS

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
kyubey straight up told her they were gonna destroy madoka and restart the lovely magical girl cycle. she was just trying to protect the girl she loves :qq:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Homura was only doing what she had to

Just like Hitler

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
homura could have simply crushed kyuubey and left it at that but no she had to separate the divine spark from madoka and take it unto herself

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
homura did everything wrong but rebellion is still a masterpiece and i have an appreciation for characters that sow the seeds of their own destruction

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Phobophilia posted:

homura could have simply crushed kyuubey and left it at that but no she had to separate the divine spark from madoka and take it unto herself

she didn't have any power to crush kyubey before she got god powers she was just a witch

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't relate to characters who do things out of love because I myself am incapable of love. This makes Rebellion a very bad movie.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

I can't relate to characters who do things out of love because I myself am incapable of love. This makes Rebellion a very bad movie.

Hell,

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

rec me shows where the characters are driven by spite so i can finally feel empathy for an anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

rec me shows where the characters are driven by spite so i can finally feel empathy for an anime

sabagebu

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I can't relate to Madoka because I'm gay but perpetually single

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

at least if total disregard for others is close enough to spite, i guess

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

I can't relate to Madoka because I'm gay but perpetually single

you haven't time-looped enough

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

kyubey straight up told her they were gonna destroy madoka and restart the lovely magical girl cycle. she was just trying to protect the girl she loves :qq:

homura told kyubey about madoka lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

at least if total disregard for others is close enough to spite, i guess

apathy isnt spite

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

apathy isnt spite

in this case, the character's disregard for others is usually malicious enough that apathetic doesn't really describe her imo. but she's not motivated by loving people over, it's just a thing she does consistently en route to whatever she wants.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

basically it's super high level selfishness, and is just the closest example to a spiteful character i had off the top​ of my head. plus sabagebu is a good show worth recommending

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

Zeta Gundam

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Blank Construct posted:

she needed someone who would believe her to talk to about it or she'd be even crazier I can't really blame her for not thinking he'd be able to do anything with the info

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
surely her magical friends would have believed her

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Most of them don't have the best track record with dealing with the truth, at least the bunny thing doesn't have any emotions that can go outta whack.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

a cartoon duck posted:

Most of them don't have the best track record with dealing with the truth, at least the bunny thing doesn't have any emotions that can go outta whack.

I think Kyoko is probably the only one who could have handled it but her and Homura didn't really get close until rebellion

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blank Construct posted:

Just fuckin wish for no more incubators sheesh. "I wish Incubators weren't such assholes" there problem solved.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Troposphere posted:

I think Kyoko is probably the only one who could have handled it but her and Homura didn't really get close until rebellion

She's the one that went all "nothing matters, murder everyone for profit".

Granted she's also the only one who actually managed to get pulled out that mindset rather than just dying or witching out, so there's that.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

okay... the next thing behind the overgrown container is even more overgrown disassembled shelving. there is a 6m beech tree that has grown through and fused to it. im gonna have to tell them it has returned to gaia now

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I don't think it ever gets mentioned how close the universe dying from entropy is in Madoda. Is it 10 years off or a couple trillion? We also never see who profits from the magical girl cycle other than kyubey or who else is involved. It might be an interesting thing to go into if they ever do make another Madoka movie.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Blank Construct posted:

it was anyone's best guess that madoka became an conceptual entity imperceptible by kyubeys. the only reason she wasn't, is specifically because of her special connection w/ homura that was established during the naked space hug. homura was the weak point. without her nothing could be done to madoka. that's why she intended to go down with the ship in rebellion, so to speak.

this and more is elaborated on in the Wraith Arc manga that no one but me read. they also explain the wings at the end of episode 12, which is a setup for her immense power as a witch and afterward

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The thing with Homura's decision at the end of Rebellion is that it isn't really about just being with Madoka, it's about something closer to owning her. If all she wanted was to be together with Madoka, well, Madoka was literally seconds away from arranging that for eternity before Homura did her thing. But that wasn't enough for Homura, she wanted to be with Madoka on her own terms, and only those terms - Madoka's own wishes be damned.

The strongest argument in favor of her decision is of course that Madoka's supposed to be in a state akin to death, battling with the suffering of humanity for all eternity and such, but like I said the other day, I feel like the movie really shoots itself in the foot on that front by using the sort of end-of-days "Christ's return"-style imagery it does. Madoka doesn't come across like she's suffering or wrestling with death, she looks like she's conquered it and is about to help Homura conquer it. A lot of that might be my own background affecting what I read into it, of course.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Spiritus Nox posted:

The thing with Homura's decision at the end of Rebellion is that it isn't really about just being with Madoka, it's about something closer to owning her. If all she wanted was to be together with Madoka, well, Madoka was literally seconds away from arranging that for eternity before Homura did her thing. But that wasn't enough for Homura, she wanted to be with Madoka on her own terms, and only those terms - Madoka's own wishes be damned.

The strongest argument in favor of her decision is of course that Madoka's supposed to be in a state akin to death, battling with the suffering of humanity for all eternity and such, but like I said the other day, I feel like the movie really shoots itself in the foot on that front by using the sort of end-of-days "Christ's return"-style imagery it does. Madoka doesn't come across like she's suffering or wrestling with death, she looks like she's conquered it and is about to help Homura conquer it. A lot of that might be my own background affecting what I read into it, of course.

except if she just gave up and went with madoka the kyubeys as a race were planning on capturing her themselves

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Troposphere posted:

except if she just gave up and went with madoka the kyubeys as a race were planning on capturing her themselves

How? I thought they could only get at Madoka through Homura. If Homura leaves then Kyubey can't observe Madoka. Thought that was the entire point of putting Homura in her witch prison.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Space Flower posted:

it was anyone's best guess that madoka became an conceptual entity imperceptible by kyubeys. the only reason she wasn't, is specifically because of her special connection w/ homura that was established during the naked space hug. homura was the weak point. without her nothing could be done to madoka. that's why she intended to go down with the ship in rebellion, so to speak.

this and more is elaborated on in the Wraith Arc manga that no one but me read. they also explain the wings at the end of episode 12, which is a setup for her immense power as a witch and afterward

Huh! Thanks for the information!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Homura doesn't want a divine personification of a universal law, she wants the schoolgirl that looked out for her and became her friend.

• Locked thread