Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

That does make me wonder something. Since RK mentioned he doesn't like the Fiesta mod, how is Chaos supposed to work if your first job is from the Earth Crystal, but subsequent ones aren't. Say you get Samurai/Black Mage. Are you supposed to make everyone a Black Mage at the Water Crystal? Or at the Wind Crystal? Or go with a mix of Freelancers and Black Mages? Or not use the Black Mage at all until you've unlocked Samurai?
I figure you just used all of whatever's available. So all black mages at the Water Crystal when you unlock it, Samurai comes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like cheating to me. I thought the whole point of the Fiesta was to make things more challenging by limiting your options, so why are we encouraging people to circumvent that?

Then you'd really hate the fact that the OP also links to the Balance Mod.

Having all jobs unlocked at the start isn't really as game-breaking at it seems, especially since the game doesn't expect those jobs to be around. Bards are useless, Chemists take awhile to get their usual broken selves due to item placement, Dragoons are meh without spears (and meh with), etc.

Maybe I could go over each boss and how extra jobs would affect those later.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That does make me wonder something. Since RK mentioned he doesn't like the Fiesta mod, how is Chaos supposed to work if your first job is from the Earth Crystal, but subsequent ones aren't. Say you get Samurai/Black Mage. Are you supposed to make everyone a Black Mage at the Water Crystal? Or at the Wind Crystal? Or go with a mix of Freelancers and Black Mages? Or not use the Black Mage at all until you've unlocked Samurai?

If Wind is Samurai and Water is Black Mage, then everyone stays Freelancers until Water. Then everyone is Black Mages. Then once you hit Earth you'll have Black Mage/Samurai/Other 2 jobs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
If I didn't have the Fiesta mod I wouldn't do the Fiesta. Last year I managed to raise £20 for charity with the Rush challenge.

So logically as long as the mod means more people run and makes them more likely to donate, complaints that you're taking money away from charity fall flat.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I was wondering why there were so many new posts. Charity is good. Mods are also good. They can coexist peacefully imo.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to do this last year but I ended up getting busy and forgetting. I would like to try again this year, it sounds fun.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I figure you just used all of whatever's available. So all black mages at the Water Crystal when you unlock it, Samurai comes later.

This is how I always did it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mega64 posted:

Having all jobs unlocked at the start isn't really as game-breaking at it seems, especially since the game doesn't expect those jobs to be around. Bards are useless, Chemists take awhile to get their usual broken selves due to item placement, Dragoons are meh without spears (and meh with), etc.

I think the only two classes that heavily break the early game are Beastmaster and Samurai. The former because most bosses in World 1 aren't immune to the shenanigans they can pull off with Release, and the latter because of the way Zeninage's scaling works.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wanted to do this last year but I ended up getting busy and forgetting. I would like to try again this year, it sounds fun.

I hope you do, it's a whole lot of fun and if you get stuck there are usually ten people to answer all questions in the IRC, where you should be anyways to tell us about your first fiesta.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

I hope you do, it's a whole lot of fun and if you get stuck there are usually ten people to answer all questions in the IRC, where you should be anyways to tell us about your first fiesta.

Can confirm this, the advice from this thread and irc is really great.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would hop into a Discord chat as it's installed on my phone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fister Roboto posted:

My problem isn't that people cheat, it's that cheating is being encouraged ITT.

I mean you're welcome to make your own, no-"cheating" thread if this bothers you so much.

Dragonatrix posted:

Except cheating is not encouraged within this thread. If you draw, say, White Mage for your Wind crystal then how does the patch help you there? The patch, if anything, makes the game harder, not easier.

Four Bards on Garula. :shepicide:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I intended to hop into the IRC to say this without making GBS threads up the thread but it's the end of my day and I didn't get around to it - the Discord API is pretty easy to use, has libraries in whichever language you'd want. Porting Carby shouldn't be too difficult a task, and I'd even offer to help in any way I can (though you probably don't want me touching actual code :v:).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Add my vote up for a discord!!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AlphaKretin posted:

I intended to hop into the IRC to say this without making GBS threads up the thread but it's the end of my day and I didn't get around to it - the Discord API is pretty easy to use, has libraries in whichever language you'd want. Porting Carby shouldn't be too difficult a task, and I'd even offer to help in any way I can (though you probably don't want me touching actual code :v:).

Yeah, I'd be willing to take any help or resources you can provide - I'd admittedly love to move to Discord, but yeah.

(Also for what it's worth, Carbybot is built on some lovely no-code-needed Windows chat bot system, because my coding chops basically vanished in the early 00s.)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

Some of these are just mechanically awful design choices, though.

Because it wasn't ENOUGH of a nightmare without a rod-snapping class!

Sucks if your Galuf is stuck as a naked white mage like in OFS's attempts.

So basically if you don't have Romeo's Ballad (!Calm doesn't work any more) you better be ready to eat constant Rocket Punches and Mustard Bombs.

Yeah, as the guy who's putting that list together, I had always considered myself a mobile apologist, but there are some pretty negative downsides in terms of the Fiesta. Beastmaster, Blue Mage, Chemist, Time Mage all get various levels of de-buffed (though if you were going to pick four classes...) thanks to all the exploit and glitch fixes. Arguably, Geomancer is de-buffed too, since the times where !Gaia is most effective are usually the times you want the lower level abilities. But the changes to the Omniscient and Omega fights are clearly the worst offenders here.

On the upside, Berserkers are a fair bit better (though good luck with quadzerker NED...) and Ninjas love the crap out of the Double Lance shenanigans you can pull off. But that's about it...

Personally, I've only stuck by it because it's super easy to play on my tablet, and virtual keypads drive me up the wall in a way that mobile-optimized controls don't. If I could buy FFVA from the eShop on my 3DS I would and never look back.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a Discord client that doesn't suck? I can IRC on Pidgin and it just does text chat without any drat "features". Get off my lawn, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm not sure how the base discord client "sucks", you can basically make it look like text-only chat. :shrug:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yes! My the most Berserkery time of the year! :black101:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Has someone here or on reddit made a full list of Matrix version differences? I offered to write one up last year but I never got around to it... and I think I might have forgotten some key things too. But I can try if it doesn't already exist.

Either way, looking forward to year three for me! I still have never had a Ranger after 10-ish runs in two years. It always gets echoed a lot in these threads, but for those of you who have never played FFV, don't be afraid to play it this way. I had never played my way through W2 in a bunch of different tries the regular way, I'd always get to the point of unlocking all the jobs and then get paralyzed by indecision and grinding. You will find freedom in the limitations of the Four Job Fiesta, I promise. You will find beauty in the balance. Yes, even in the Matrix versions, this is an incredibly well-balanced game.

And Thief is the best class in the game, let's talk about how great Thieves are.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

Has someone here or on reddit made a full list of Matrix version differences? I offered to write one up last year but I never got around to it... and I think I might have forgotten some key things too. But I can try if it doesn't already exist.

I'm working on a list here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/6bx2t2/compilation_of_changes_to_the_mobilesteam_version/

I've been editing to include any differences I've missed.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

I'm working on a list here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/6bx2t2/compilation_of_changes_to_the_mobilesteam_version/

I've been editing to include any differences I've missed.

Awesome! Looks great. One thing I'd add but I would need to test to make absolutely sure: although the Double Lance proc thing is beneficial in many cases, I'm pretty sure it also means you can't stop the Chicken Knife run proc if it's in the second hand.

Another thing about weapon procs: they can fire on misses. I honestly don't know if they fire on misses in the original versions, but I think someone once told me they don't. It's another thing that makes Berserkers a lot better in the Matrix versions: those Death Scythe procs happen all the time. Last year I blinded my Berserker when fighting the crystals so he wouldn't hurt them unless he was killing them.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

Awesome! Looks great. One thing I'd add but I would need to test to make absolutely sure: although the Double Lance proc thing is beneficial in many cases, I'm pretty sure it also means you can't stop the Chicken Knife run proc if it's in the second hand.

Another thing about weapon procs: they can fire on misses. I honestly don't know if they fire on misses in the original versions, but I think someone once told me they don't. It's another thing that makes Berserkers a lot better in the Matrix versions: those Death Scythe procs happen all the time. Last year I blinded my Berserker when fighting the crystals so he wouldn't hurt them unless he was killing them.

I can confirm that the Chicken Knife !Flee still procs in the off-hand even with a Double Lance. Forgot to mention that in the reddit post.

Seems like Mobile version is really the Berserker Edition. I just can't imagine how Quadzerkers deal with NED in that case...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I forget the details (can we get a link to last year's thread in the op Kyrosiris?) but I had a Good Geomancer Run last year and was very confused

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think the only two classes that heavily break the early game are Beastmaster and Samurai. The former because most bosses in World 1 aren't immune to the shenanigans they can pull off with Release, and the latter because of the way Zeninage's scaling works.

probably the best part of getting samurai so early is thats more ap earned towards !Iainuki

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Archenteron posted:

I forget the details (can we get a link to last year's thread in the op Kyrosiris?) but I had a Good Geomancer Run last year and was very confused

Yeah, I'll throw the 2014/15/16 threads next to their infographics. :)

E: Done!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/KASServerTF2/status/865556158739656704

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOxniYo7hA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

If anything it makes the charity more money to use the mod because someone who has to fight sandworm with four zerkers because all other jobs are from the earth crystal more than once ever will just stop playing the game and never return in a fit of rage.

(I'll still not use it though and end up having to kill thousands of Nakks)

You know, I hadn't considered that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEI2SzEYh4

Also, not necessarily fiesta related, but I always take this time of the year to pimp Sullla's site, mostly the final fantasy section (http://www.sullla.com/FF/finalfantasy.html). The man is a Final Fantasy V master, and proof that you can complete the fiesta with pretty much any class, given that he's solo-d the game with each class alone (Minus Mime and Berserker). He does really interesting write-ups on the challenges, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I know it's kind of old, but if it doesn';t get you in the mood for Fiesta, I don't know what will.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vernatio posted:

The man is a Final Fantasy V master, and proof that you can complete the fiesta with pretty much any class, given that he's solo-d the game with each class alone (Minus Mime and Berserker).

He got to the end with a solo berserker. That counts.

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. I know it's kind of old, but if it doesn';t get you in the mood for Fiesta, I don't know what will.

If you're looking for music to get you in the mood for the Fiesta, there's only one choice.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If I didn't have the Fiesta mod I wouldn't do the Fiesta. Last year I managed to raise £20 for charity with the Rush challenge.

So logically as long as the mod means more people run and makes them more likely to donate, complaints that you're taking money away from charity fall flat.

What's the Rush challenge?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What's the Rush challenge?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, so there's a week left in the Fiesta

I signed up but literally have not got round to doing my first run until now. As such I am in a:

In honour of all the lazy people here and Megaman's dog, I'll donate £1 to charity for everyone who completes a run in this last week with the name Rush to a limit of £40.

God speed and I hope you manage to finish up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why aren't there dates in the OP? I need to schedule my life around this dang it!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lurdiak posted:

Why aren't there dates in the OP? I need to schedule my life around this dang it!

Preregistration starts in June, the Fiesta proper starts roughly two weeks later, and it ends on September 1st.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Preregistration starts in June, the Fiesta proper starts roughly two weeks later, and it ends on September 1st.

Just in time for Stormblood :sigh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Huh, I was wondering where this year's thread was, didn't think to check if it got moved from the LP board until just now. Well, I found it in the end, so bully!

Dunno how many runs I'm going to get done this year. The past few years I've been too broke to really have much else to play during these times, and as a result got in victory counts of 7, 10, and 7 runs the past three years, but this year I have Persona 5, Tales of Berseria, and at some point I want to pick up Nier: Automata and Dragon Quest Heroes 2. It's going to be interesting to see if runs 25 and onward can manage to hold my attention.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

They've never been in LP. :shobon:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

They've never been in LP. :shobon:

No, though Mega tried to do the single class challenge thread around the time the last FJF happened, which was how a lot of new goons found last year's FJF thread.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ah right, the Omnizerker thread. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

:doh: I was even there for that. Thanks!

• Locked thread