Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I'm going to get this one.

I like For Honor's P2P thing. It works more often than not for me, and when it works it feels perfect. Here's to living just outside NYC and having great internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ashrik posted:

I'm going to get this one.

I like For Honor's P2P thing. It works more often than not for me, and when it works it feels perfect. Here's to living just outside NYC and having great internet.

Enjoy playing with your game hosted by someone in Croatia playing on an etch-a-sketch.

(Though I assume your post is sarcastic.)

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I have great internet, but as recently as Mass Effect Andromeda's MP I have had really poo poo P2P connections. I'm thiiiiis close to cancelling my preorder and sucking it up until this game actually releases.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I was actually not being sarcastic.

Though all the PCGamer article states is that there will be "some form of peer to peer". So not necessarily like For Honor (all connections co-hosting, don't ask me to explain it further than that), it might instead be the way regular P2P games (with a single host) work. Of course I'd take dedicated servers over it, I just don't see it as an terrible thing though I realize why others would :shobon: don't hate

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This article says uncapped fps/4k/fov slider/21:9/text chat will be things but also that a PC release date hasn't been confirmed.

http://www.glixel.com/news/bungie-embraces-pc-with-destiny-2-w483017

Edit: wrong link

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 19, 2017

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

treiz01 posted:

This is by far the most confusing thing. If you're already using Blizzard's game client to handle your PC services, why not have the same dedicated servers used for LITERALLY ALL BLIZZARD GAMES

Jesus christ can you imagine the servers go down, the masses wwould cry that destiny is the reason they can't play overwatch/wow/hearthstone

I'm somewhat excited for this, but I'll reserve judgement until I see more of it in action. I played the Destiny 2 demo aka Destiny up until around the time they got rid of dinklebot - by which point I'd already lost all hope for that dumpster fire of a game. Raiding in an FPS was pretty awesome though and was the only thing I really enjoyed

Linx fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 19, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Whooo finally destiny on pc!!!

Plus i get for free!!!! (i still have like $250 completely stuck on my bnet account from my d3 auction baron days)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

P2P really needs to go away now.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Zo posted:

Whooo finally destiny on pc!!!

Plus i get for free!!!! (i still have like $250 completely stuck on my bnet account from my d3 auction baron days)

and here I am happy enough that I made back my money on that game, holy poo poo

Zo posted:

I actually earned around $20k from it, paid taxes and everything.. it was a wild summer. only thing is near the start, my main account with all my blizzard games got banned and locked from d3 with like $500 on it so I was never able to cash that money out (since the only way to cash out bnet balance was through d3 -> paypal and I was banned)

but on the positive side, now I get blizzard games for free! destiny 2 is gonna own!!!

:captainpop:

Linx fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 19, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Linx posted:

and here I am happy enough that I made back my money on that game, holy poo poo

I actually earned around $20k from it, paid taxes and everything.. it was a wild summer. only thing is near the start, my main account with all my blizzard games got banned and locked from d3 with like $500 on it so I was never able to cash that money out (since the only way to cash out bnet balance was through d3 -> paypal and I was banned)

but on the positive side, now I get blizzard games for free! destiny 2 is gonna own!!!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
^^ lol are you the dude that bought like 500 D3 avatars paid for by d3 gold

So I never played Destiny 1, but I had a friend who played it and was sad that he never got to play it with friends b/c we're all PC gamers. What was/were the problems with it?

All I know about the game is that it seems like Borderlands 2 without the lovely memes, and that people felt ripped off by the expansions it got later. It seems like a game that would be super fun if you have enough friends to fill out an Overwatch stack.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Minrad posted:

So I never played Destiny 1, but I had a friend who played it and was sad that he never got to play it with friends b/c we're all PC gamers. What was/were the problems with it?

All I know about the game is that it seems like Borderlands 2 without the lovely memes, and that people felt ripped off by the expansions it got later.

The more difficult (best) content was no-matchmaking and relied on 3rd party LFG sites if you wanted to play them. The droprates of items were and absolute joke to begin with, I think that was mostly addressed by the time I bailed. The universe has great lore but they decided that the best way to deliver it was through some weird grimoire system, and the main "story" was incredibly barebones.

The raids I played (1st and 2nd) were legitimately some of the best FPS experiences I've had though, and they seem to have learned their lesson from the mistakes of the last game so who knows, it could be good :shrug:.

On another note, did they ever fire that dumb loving community manager they had? DeeJ was it? Guy seemed a bit out of touch with the playerbase, unless it was because he could only work with what the higher ups were telling him

Linx fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 19, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

but was the actual content good? thanks to OW I know a dozen people that are more or less good at FPS games now and would be on board for Destiny 2 thanks to being on battle.net. that part seems like a smart move on Blizzard's part; they've spent the better part of the last ten years trying to make everyone be friends and create a social media network for co-op games like overwatch and hots and now, destiny.

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 19, 2017

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Minrad posted:

but was the actual content good? thanks to OW I know a dozen people that are more or less good at FPS games now and would be on board for Destiny 2 thanks to being on battle.net. that part seems like a smart move on Blizzard's part; they've spent the better part of the last ten years trying to make everyone be friends and create a social media network for co-op games like overwatch and hots and now, destiny.

I mean the content was good for sure, but even after the first expansion dropped I felt that it was spread way too thin. Honestly the game should have shipped with all of the content it ended up with, but I'd probably still have gotten bored of it. Once you had your weekly content done it was garbage unless you wanted to play the PvP mode which I personally hated

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

How much of that content is being ported to Destiny 2? People seemed upset with the lack of new content but hell, it's all new to me.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Minrad posted:

How much of that content is being ported to Destiny 2? People seemed upset with the lack of new content but hell, it's all new to me.

None afaik

Not at all trying to put you off the game btw, I actually think it will be good. I'm a bit bitter about the first one because I actually bought my PS4 to play it. Massive props to those that could stick it out til the last content but I just couldn't do it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Nah, that's fair. I've played my share of busted rear end games at/near launch. I think everyone here remembers Diablo 3 and probably most of them tried Warlords of Draenor.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Destiny definatley suffered from really good content (Bungie know how to make gun shooting good and making fun fights) but not enough, none of the raids are Duds it's just you do each raid 1/week / character in about an hour-two

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I had three near max level chars and I was still bored out of my mind about 3 days after each reset

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Linx posted:

I had three near max level chars and I was still bored out of my mind about 3 days after each reset

To be fair to destiny, it does mean you can enter a rhythm and do other things, it's not like keeping up the mythic grind in WoW. Also Pc reports for this game are super solid which I am happy about

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Why the gently caress is this non-Blizzard game buried in here?

Why the gently caress is it P2P? Didn't The Division make that same mistake? Enjoy the h4x!

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Why the gently caress is it P2P? Didn't The Division make that same mistake? Enjoy the h4x!

Well I mean, Activision-Blizzard is publishing Destiny 2... so why let 3rd party marketplaces sell your product when you already have a complete system inside your own company. I don't know why this logic didn't extend to SERVERS but...

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Linx posted:

The more difficult (best) content was no-matchmaking and relied on 3rd party LFG sites if you wanted to play them. The droprates of items were and absolute joke to begin with, I think that was mostly addressed by the time I bailed. The universe has great lore but they decided that the best way to deliver it was through some weird grimoire system, and the main "story" was incredibly barebones.

The raids I played (1st and 2nd) were legitimately some of the best FPS experiences I've had though, and they seem to have learned their lesson from the mistakes of the last game so who knows, it could be good :shrug:.

On another note, did they ever fire that dumb loving community manager they had? DeeJ was it? Guy seemed a bit out of touch with the playerbase, unless it was because he could only work with what the higher ups were telling him

DeeJ is still there being old and bad, but at least I've owned him at a bungie event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gToaGPeimyQ

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

DeeJ is still there being old and bad, but at least I've owned him at a bungie event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gToaGPeimyQ

Ha, you can see he's upset about his name change.

treiz01 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 19, 2017

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm having a hard time reconciling how I'm going to play this game on 2 platforms with no drat cross saves. I have a such a solid raid crew on PS4 that I'm willing to double dip and even pay for sonys online, but I also just built a pretty nice system and there's no way I'm not going to buy this on PC. Especially after hearing about how much smoother it runs at 60 fps, not to mention that it'll be uncapped. But where the hell am I going to find the time?

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 19, 2017

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

the good fax machine posted:

I'm having a hard time reconciling how I'm going to play this game on 2 platforms with no drat cross saves. I have a such a solid raid crew on PS4 that I'm willing to double dip and even pay for sonys online, but I also just built a pretty nice system and there's no way I'm not going to buy this on PC. Especially after hearing about how much smoother it runs at 60 fps, not to mention that it'll be uncapped. But where the hell am I going to find the time?

Quit your job, problem solved!

Also, lol, we're officially in the Blizzard subforum now.

treiz01 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 19, 2017

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jokes on you, I'm a stay at home parent! Which actually does give me some good opportunities for playtime, but I also try my best not to play unless she's napping. I'm actually not concerned about the level grind at all, it has been infinitely improved since the days of vanilla Destiny. My wife bought me an Xbone last summer and I decided to get a copy so I could have an account on both systems. I was almost to max level in less than a week of admittedly fairly heavy grinding, but that's relative to me. At least a few hours every day but certainly not more than 8 in a day. Anyway, the problem there was that I was able to hit max level, but I had jack poo poo for gear, no currency, no resources. So while I was certainly able to do high level content, it was under less than ideal circumstances. Trying to do Iron Banner with poo poo garbage guns wasn't very fun. And if D2 is as content rich as The Taken King expansion was, that's where I just start to think to myself that there aren't enough hours in the day.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

P2P is basically Ubisoft's default choice.

Netcode (and anti-cheat) ain't their strong suit.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ufarn posted:

P2P is basically Ubisoft's default choice.

Netcode (and anti-cheat) ain't their strong suit.

Exactly, which is why it is so mystifying that a company not as crappy as Ubisoft elected to go that route.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Exactly, which is why it is so mystifying that a company not as crappy as Ubisoft elected to go that route.

Yeah, it's not as if Blizzard has any experience doing servers and matchmaking on the PC

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

PC thread? suscribed. I don't give a poo poo about platform differences. I hope the PC people enjoy Destiny 2 has much I enjoyed Destiny 1.

And now, to wait for the demo :D

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Eh, if anything, Bungie have proven that they can make infuriating decisions and still make money hand over fist.

They don't seem to optimize for this sort of stuff, I'm still really happy people managed to get Blizzard to implement 60 tick (and more for events).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

treiz01 posted:

Also, lol, we're officially in the Blizzard subforum now.

:D

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

it's a good meme but it'll probably confuse people looking for a pc thread in games and just finding a thread making GBS threads on pc

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Minrad posted:

it's a good meme but it'll probably confuse people looking for a pc thread in games and just finding a thread making GBS threads on pc

That's the reason I made this in the first place. The old Destiny thread was cool and good.

Tei posted:

And now, to wait for the demo :D

I've already preordered through amazon.ca, gotten my beta access code and registered it on bungie.net :D

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
How quick did you get a code? I think I'm gonna hold off on pre-ordering until we know when the PC beta happens. The actual release date would be nice to know too, hopefully they don't take too long to produce one.

Also to anyone on the fence, they made the beta available to everyone for D1 after a couple days.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

tbh I'm just waiting til it shows up on the battle.net shop

is it 90 bucks for base game + season pass? that's fairly pricey but it's not like blizzard has released anything worth turning wow gold into except cosmetic bullshit in every other game

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Minrad posted:

tbh I'm just waiting til it shows up on the battle.net shop

is it 90 bucks for base game + season pass?

With Amazon Prime in Canada it was $63, down from $79.99 for the regular version.

the good fax machine posted:

How quick did you get a code?

Pretty quickly and it was weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reminder you can also pre-order with Amazon and then just cancel when you get the code or before the game comes out if you want to buy direct from battle.net, as they don't charge you anything until it ships.

• Locked thread