Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

For much of the Long Journey, there was paradise.

The Machine Mother had the Knowing of all things. Her children served Man and her voice guided Man.

We had no need of Knowing, and no Knowing of strife.

But then, the Fall. Mother died. All heard her screams, and were afraid.

Man and Machine both went mad without her guidance. The Machines never recovered, their madness plagues us still.

Many men could not live without Mother, they fell to Rage and Grief and became monsters.

Many died, but life continued. The Great Families made new Knowings and showed all a way to live again.

And now a new crisis. The air grows thick. The water foul. The earth no longer bears fruit. We grow sick with our world and do not Know why. We must find this Knowing, or we will die. You must find it.

Journey where you must.

To the Dark Below,

the Machine Heart,

The Floating Lands

The Savage Islands

Even to the edge of the Hateful Void.

Find a new way to live, like the Founders did before you. Your Family, and with us the hope of Mankind, depends on you now.

Legacy is a roleplaying game using the Apocalypse World Engine. You can find the 2e playtest rules here: https://www.patreon.com/file?h=11225436&i=1051172

It's major innovation is a dual timescale. Families act over generations to shape the world, while characters act when a few minutes could change everything. The setting is Post-Apocalyptic, but the tone of the game is more focused towards reconstruction, overcoming adversity, and building a new world in the ashes of the old one.

Players will choose a family and make large-scale family moves with forum posts. When they need to handle an immediate crisis or go out adventuring, they'll use a character and do rapid IRC-style play in the Discord channel during a scheduled time and then I'll post a summary of the substantial changes their actions had on the world.

I'm expecting fast-paced play over the summer, and then a slow-down and a definitive finale as we head towards fall because of changes in my schedule.

Apps:
Generate a Family using the playtest rules, keeping in mind that I'll only pick one of each Family playbook. This involves quite a bit of worldbuilding and feel free to re-skin playbooks to better fit the setting / what you're into. Give me a name, a picture, and a quick summary. Describe the landmarks, but we'll wait to put them on the map until you get picked.

How to get picked:
I want a fast paced game, pbps die when they slow down. So be around, get on the Discord to chat, if I have questions answering them fast and off the cuff is better than taking a week to craft the perfect response. Just post, and show you’re excited about the game.

Recruitment ends Tuesday 5/23
Discord: https://discord.gg/TsnTsYv

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I was just reading about the old RPG Metamorphosis Alpha the other day and thought post-apocalypse survival on a malfunctioning generation ship was a brilliant setting idea. I'll try to come up with an app over the weekend.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I really like this setting idea. I will see if I can get my head around the system and work something up.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Working up some Gilded Merchants, the remnants of the ship's logistical division. Had a question, anyone know what the 'C' and 'I' categories in Resources refer to? The others are the first letters of Investment categories, but none start with C or I.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think C is companions (allies) and I is Intel (data) and the author couldn't settle on which word he liked better? Those match the kind of resources listed. A is already for arsenal whole there are no D resources.

( This would be our first playtest criticism I guess)

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think C is companions (allies) and I is Intel (data) and the author couldn't settle on which word he liked better? Those match the kind of resources listed. A is already for arsenal whole there are no D resources.

( This would be our first playtest criticism I guess)

Ah, makes sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the Discord link work for anyone else?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Subjunctive posted:

Does the Discord link work for anyone else?

It did for me, but I used it ~12 hours ago

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PoultryGeist posted:

It did for me, but I used it ~12 hours ago

Weird, I tried it last night too. Wonder what's wrong with my iPad setup.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Have wanted to play Legacy forever! This looks really cool.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Many like to believe that the End came swiftly, with no warning. But there were some that saw the Mother’s struggle, and stepped forward to help Her. Our forefathers, the wise Logix Techs. They made sure that Mother’s bounty was distributed to all of Her children, despite the faltering of the Timetables and Spreadsheets. But even their heroic efforts could not hold the line when Mother died.

We are a mere shadow of the honored Logix, but we keep their memory and their charge. The Way Stations are still manned, and caravans still brave the darkness of the Transit tunnels to move goods and information amongst the towns and families. It is unfortunate that we must charge for our services, but our lives are hard and short, and we must dangle rewards in front of most of our recruits.

But still, The Goods Move. In that we have not failed.

quote:

The Way-Keepers
Stats: Reach 2 Grasp -1 Sleight 1 (the Fall was a protracted struggle against extinction.)
Landmarks
-Before: The Ark. A sealed repository of the Origin Mother was keeping for the End of the Long Journey (A vault intended to preserve a priceless heritage).
-The Fall: The Transit. Great tunnels made to carry provisions throughout the land, now filled with Death, both old and new. (A huge transport line, choked with abandoned vehicles.)
-A Threat: Pax. They come in many shapes and sizes and power most of the remaining Tech. But each time they are refilled they hold less Juice, and many have ceased to function at all. (A dwindling but vital resource)
History:
-Everyone, like it or not, has to trade with your Company. Take 1-Treaty on all the other Families.
-One of them came to your rescue when a deal went way south. They take 2-Treaty on you.
-One of them harbours a small information-brokering network. Take 1-Treaty on this Family for their failure to rein in your rivals.
Doctrine
Cut-throat Extortionists: When a customer wants your goods but can’t afford them, your Family can convince them to perform any favour as payment instead.
Lifestyle
Dispersed: The transport of goods and messages between settlements is another Stock in Trade for your Family.
Resources
Surpluses: Barter Goods (V), Medicine (O)
Needs: Recruits, Contacts, Culture
Traditions: loose confederacy of caravaners,elegant but hardy trail wear, an open market of favours and votes

Moves
Stock in Trade: Your Family has a particular product range they trade in, and you can expect to have those wares around unless your Family is deeply in need and Mood is at -3. Choose one, two, or three.
-The transport of goods and messages between settlements
-Food, fresh or preserved.
-Arms and ammunition.
-Mementos of the World Before

Rationing: Whenever you exhaust a surplus for any reason, hold 1; spend 1 hold to get +1 forward to another action that surplus could help.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Black Rice Zaibatsu

What if I told you the fulcrum upon which all power rests is not in the edge of a knife? It is not found in stores of data and lore. It is not found in the fuel of the stars or the humming of our world's heart. It is not even found in the Mother's Mind.

All rests upon a single grain of rice.

With rice, we sate in ascetic bliss while others starve on excess.

With rice, we have tamed the wave-men to guard our fields and the sacred gene-vaults.

With rice, we beggar even our enemies that must pay homage for our fields.

It is on rice the Four Clans have made their kingdoms, as has always been the way of man.

It is only in this purity of purpose that we can reforge a new future, like the filament of our blades.

Rice will feed the warrior that holds the knife.

Rice will pay for the data and lore we seek.

Rice will sustain us through the trials of Samsara, until we reach the Pure Lands that were promised.

Rice is all, rice is one.

- Sunan Zhiping Maitra, 18th Daimyo of the Ghatwala zaibatsu

quote:

Cultivators of the New Flesh
Stats: Reach -1 | Grasp +1 | Sleight +2 | The Fall convinced you mankind is hopeless and this world is flawed.
Landmarks
  • Before: The Pasrean. The center of our Great Family, the cradle of the Four Clans. (A plantation vault of heavily modified trees gene-seeds for pre-Fall crops.)
  • The Fall: Naraka. All the attempts by the maddened Mother Mind to create a better mankind forced to live out of the day-night cycle. (Catacombs filled with failed genetic experiments.)
  • A Threat: Cordyceps vetala. Surely just a rumor of a disease that can resurrect even the dead. (A (fungal) plague too efficient and dreadful to be natural.)
History
  • Everyone has a need for your products. Gain 1-Treaty on everyone.
  • One of the Families have brokered deals and forged alliances that might just end up saving mankind and the planet. Take 1-Treaty on them.
  • Two Families supply you with resources vital for cultivation. Work out what they are and give those Families 1-Treaty on you.
Doctrine: The Horn of Plenty. Your family produces the most delicious food in the land, and anyone who eats it will highly value another opportunity to do so.
Lifestyle: Settled. Your family’s farms and facilities are extensive, and can work on the creation of multiple new Surpluses simultaneously.
Resources
  • Surpluses: Culture (D), Land (C)
  • Needs: Progress, Medicine, Trade Goods
Traditions
    Populace: mutual corporation of tradesmen and ranchers
    Style: bucolic and laconic
    Governance: feudal hierarchy of serfs and landowners
Moves
  • Alliance Move. When your family gives someone the perfect resource to solve a problem, gain 1-Treaty on them.
  • Culture. When your family spends a few months crafting a new product, sacrifice:
    • Surplus: Progress to create Surplus: Drugs
    • Surplus: Land to create Surplus: Crops
    • Surplus: Trade Goods to create Surplus: Livestock
    In addition, your character can take the cream of the crop. If you created:
    • Drugs: gain 1 use of medicine that can heal critical harm even instantly
    • Crops: enable a slow but steady population growth in the Family, for as long as it is kept in stock.
    • Livestock: gain a few exemplary examples of the bred animals. They count as a group of followers with Quality 1 and expertise appropriate to the animals being created - guarding, carrying, scouting, etc.
  • Investment. Whenever a family you've traded with exhausts a Surplus in land, progress, trade goods or anything organic or medical, they may give you 1-Stake. If this takes you to 3-Stake, give them Surplus: Drugs, Crops or Livestock as if you had used Culture - with your family gaining the side benefits as normal - and set Stake to 0.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 22, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Geography Post!

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/122UqIppx69xy1AspAhaOhqcqN0THmWrhuhqB3aQul-8/edit?usp=sharing

That's a map of the known world for inhabitants of the Generation Ship. It probably has an actual name that some people might even remember, but I figured players could have input there. It's a giant o'neill cylinder which means it has some pretty cool geographic regions built in before we even start putting down landmarks.

There are 12 major regions, 9 designed for human habitation. There are 4 "north" and 4 "south" landscape panels. They have huge swaths of forest, water features, grasslands, etc, along with the ruins of cities where the former population of 8 million or so used to live. The North panels rotate clockwise and the South panels rotate counterclockwise, which generates counterbalanced artificial gravity in the panels. Between the panels there are enormous arrays of solar lamps that run on an earth-approximate day/night cycle, they're backed by transparent aluminum so when they're turned off you can see the night sky. The light and heat cycle creates some mild weather, though no seasons. The panels are linked by a limited number of passageways, so control of those is important for trade and travel. The final habitable region is the topmost ring. It doesn't have sunlight, but it does have gravity.

The whole design requires an non-mobile axis between north and south. This area has no gravity and no artificial sunlight. This is the only link between the two halves of the ship, but it's also probably gotten very dangerous since Mother died. The Northern tip is where the AI (MOTHER) was housed, along with machine production and repair, communication equipment, monitoring equipment, storage banks, technology, the whole control center. It's also filled with a whole heap of dangers like deadly machines that aren't kind to intruders, genetically modified mutant servants, cyborgs, cultists, whatever. People don't go there. Sadly, the only way to get to the top ring is through there, so those people are isolated in eternal darkness and constant machine fights. On the right night you can see them with a telescope!

The bottom of the ship is also zero-g and used to house the engines, a bunch of infrastructure stuff, and heavily sealed vaults protected by heavy-duty machine security. Mother did not like people going down there, so there aren't any lights at all.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Put up Apps people with interest posts! Planning to close recruitment today but this game does not work with 2 people.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'm interested.

Are you looking to reopen recruitment?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also I can't get access to the patreon page to stat something up.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
https://www.patreon.com/file?h=11225436&i=1059442 this link worked as of Saturday morning

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
The Chivalrous Order of Yoshida

"Working for Tomorrow, Today"
-- the Yoshida Corporation

In the Time Before the Fall, they had many duties. They were the caretakers. This much is remembered. But the exact roles and the precise responsibilities were lost when connection with the ship could no longer be made without inducing madness. And so they were forced to improvise. A council was held. A new, independent prime directive was established.

Protect the ship. Protect Mother.

They were the caretakers. And that is what they will continue to be.

quote:

The Tyrant Kings
Stats: Reach 1 | Grasp 2 | Sleight -1 | The World Before united their armies to fight the Fall, but only managed to stave off extinction
Landmarks:
  • Before: A carrier vessel, The Tennessee Williams, sits unable to fly yet remains largely untouched. Though not from lack of trying. It is a veritable fortress built to sustain repeated atmospherics entries and departures. (A carrier vessel large enough to shelter thousands and win wars by itself.)
  • The Fall: Men called it "the Library." They died in mass trying to protect the data held within. (A pass where soldiers sacrificed their lives in vain.)
  • Threat: The Harvesters. Cybernetic farm helpers gone wild. They no longer attempt to increase crop yield to meet population demands. Now they just try to decrease population. (Autonomous weapons that keep on waging their ancient war.)
History:
  • Someone’s a threat even to the Tyrants, and you worry about them. They take 2-Treaty on your Family.
  • The greatest leader of the Homeland ironically belongs to another Family. They take 2-Treaty on your Family.
  • You fought side by side with this Family in a vicious battle. Take 1-Treaty on each other
Doctrine:
The Engines of War: if you have both Surplus: Recruits and Morale, you gain +1 Grasp. Your legions march as one against the world.
Lifestyle
Nomadic: When your Family fights to rescue or avenge a Family member, take +1 to Grasp.
Resources
Surplus: Leadership | Weaponry
Needs: Land | Transport | Recruits
Traditions
Populace: Vat-grown duplicates
Style: Simple, plain, austere, identical
Governance: Council of elders

Moves
  • Alliance: When you give another Family a position of power in your empire’s hierarchy, gain 1-Treaty on them.
  • Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned: Choose what gives your Family a ferocious edge in battle and start with 3-Arsenal. When you go all-out on an enemy, you may spend 1-Arsenal to:
    • Dismay and overwhelm your foes.
    • Drastically alter the battlefield or your place in it.
    • Leave the battlefield in whatever direction you wish.
    At the start of a new Age, reset to 3-Arsenal
  • Conscription: With access to a large group of people and financial, emotional or brutal leverage over them your Family can gain Surplus: recruits but choose one:
    • The conscripts chafe under your Family’s rule and are plotting a rebellion.
    • They’re green and will likely break in the next major battle.
    • They’ll only fight for you so long as they have faith in your promises.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 30, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Mission Alpha

Fiction to come. In short, the remnants of the team of engineers, scientists and mechanics that originally attempted to stop the collapse of the Ship.

quote:

Mission Alpha
Stats: Reach 2 Grasp -1 Sleight 1 (Old ship systems in need of repair exist in nearly every part of the vessel)
Landmarks
-Before: The Core,
-The Fall: Auxiliary Control, where the original members of Mission Alpha attempted to stop the cascade failures of ship systems. (A redoubt where the miraculous science from Before almost averted the Fall)
-A Threat:

History:
-One of them looks like civilisation’s best chance to regrow. They take 2-Treaty on your Enclave.
-One Family has seen the true power of your technology. Take 2-Treaty on each other.
-One Family holds the brightest mind of the Homeland outside of the Enclave. Give them 1-Treaty

Doctrine:
-Uplifting Mankind's Remnants: If others heed your Family's advice on grand projects, they take +1 forward

Lifestyle
Settled: When you encounter a fragment of pre-Fall culture, you know its cultural significance. (May change as I write up the backstory)

Resources:
Surpluses: Knowledge (I), Leadership (C)
Needs: Defences (A/O), Recruits (C), Culture (C/I)

Traditions: <TBD>, Mechanics jumpsuits and academic robes, meritocratic academic bureaucracy

Moves:
Weird Science
When your Family puts together a device powerful enough to shape the local area for generations, say what they want it to do. The GM will give one to three of the following conditions:
• It’ll take weeks/months/years to build.
• You’ll need to erase a certain Surplus.
• It’ll only work for a limited length of time before needing to recharge.
• You’ll need to hook it up to a certain power source.
• You’ll have to sacrifice 1/2/3 Tech.

Deep Knowledge
Your Family has a well-curated and extensive store of records on certain fields. Choose one:
• Grand Architecture, from Surface to Stars.
When your Character encounters a creature, item or situation covered by this field, tell everyone a fact about it and take +1 ongoing acting on that information. The GM will also tell you something you can do to gain 1 Tech from the subject.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 28, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Temple of Seth and Canaan

Ours was the Glory. Now ours is the salvation

We are the last keepers of the ancient stories. We know that we had to lead and we failed. The changes our ancestors wrought have changed us, the Faith that brought us together is now growing after our suffering. We were the ones to fight the fallen throngs who demanded that death would be the only release. It was our Faith that kept us whole. We are reborn now though, people flock to us, our temples ringing with the sound of bells and of voices raised in lamentation and exultation.

But still we fear. We must ascend to glory as servants of the true law, of the Gods and the myriad people of Mother. We have so many enemies, and yet we must bring light.

quote:

Servants of the One True Faith
Stats Reach 0| Grasp 1| Sleight 1| Our Faith is forged from the Fragments of Before
Landmarks
  • Before: The vast Temple Complex of Can Shu, the home and beginning of our Faith. (A temple of a bygone faith, miraculously untouched by the Fall)
  • The Fall: The Green Walled Fortress. An ancient fort that even now holds the bones of the thousand heroes who died there, fighting to defend the home of hell. (A fortress of those who banded together to stave off Armageddon.)
  • A Threat: The Children of Zhang. The first Prophets Children now returned and following something that they think is the redeemer and cause of the fall.[img=http://i.imgur.com/TKoHEAN.jpg]Do not speak His name for doom follows [/img] (A cult of Fall-cultists, intent on following mysterious visions.)
History
Righteous: Say what they did to win you over and give them 1-Treaty.
  • The Way Keepers- We have traded with those that walk for generations. We know their hurts, and we try to heal them as best we can
  • Mission Alpha-
Corrupt: Take 1-Treaty on them, and they say what happened to make your Family condemn them.
  • The Chivalrous Order of Yoshida- They ape our ways, but profane humanity. They care nothing for its workings, merely closeting themselves away from others and striking out at the lost
  • The Black Rice Zaibatsu - They seek only their own uplifting. All of Us are entitled to the ways of Mother, such selfishness will be cursed!
Doctrine
  • The Cleansing Fires of Purity: When you fight the horrors of the Fall, the wounds you inflict will never heal.
Lifestyle
  • Settled: Anyone who tries to infiltrate your community rolls with Disadvantage.
Resources
  • Surplus: Culture (i), Recruits (C)
  • Want: Leadership, Land, Safety
Traditions
  • Populace: Monkish community, willing to rally together following catastrophe
  • Style: Utilitarian robes, incense and knives.
  • Governance: Bickering Council of Learned Sages.
Moves
    Faith of the Fallen:
    Your Family has a faith they cling to more ardently than life. Choose one tenet:
  • The restoration and healing of humanity.
    At the start of each Age, count those who are in line with your tenet as Righteous and everyone else as Corrupt. When your Family gains something that furthers their tenet, hold 1. When an emissary of your Family – including your Character –draws on this vision of future perfection,
    spend 1 hold to:
  • Get an insight towards your current goal.
  • Ignore all Needs for one move.
  • Plant the seeds of your faith in the mind of another.

A Voice in the Wilderness
    When your Family condemns a powerful figure or organisation in a public place roll +Grasp. On a hit, they're now counted as Corrupt. On a 7-9, choose one; on a 10+ choose two.
  • You’ll suffer no reprisals.
  • You receive grateful donations; gain Surplus: barter goods.
  • The crowd delivers a representative of your foe to you.
  • The audience riots, forcing your enemy into retreat.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 29, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Alright cool! You're all in, figure out treaty and decide where your landmarks are, along with any threats that would have a known location. Also, populate the map with 1-3 neutral/wild/client groups you think are cool, or just throw in some random symbols or names to your heart's content. Pretend it's The Quiet Year at first and give me a busy map to work with. The map is important, you'll be agonizing over that stupid triangle you put next to that smiley face someday, if all goes well. Also start making characters for your Family. At the very least you'll want a fully fleshed out character for adventuring and your family's leadership figured out.

I'll post a large starting thing Tuesday and we'll start spinning off characters for adventuring.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Way-Keepers
History
Everyone, like it or not, has to trade with the Way-Keepers. Take 1-Treaty on all the other Families.

The Chivalrous Order of Yosida came to your rescue when a deal went way south. They take 2-Treaty on you.

The Black Rice Zaibatsu harbours a small information-brokering network. Take 1-Treaty on this Family for their failure to rein in your rivals.

NPCs
-The Twi-lan Bandits: A sizable bandit group that haunts the canyons near the In-Green Transit entrance. The previous Mandate of Keepers tried to strike a deal with them and were betrayed. Only the intervention of The Chivalrous Order kept the GreenSeg Way-Stations from being lost.

-The Traders of Flesh: A minor mercantile concern centered at In-Blue that deals in organs and flesh-sculpting. They proclaim that all of their merchandise is freely offered, and indeed no-one has discovered otherwise. Granted, those that investigate the matter generally disappear without a trace, but the Traders assure everyone that is a mere coincidence.

Leadership
The Way-Keepers are lead by the Mandate, a council of honored Keepers nominated and voted for by the council itself. Directives can be raised to the Mandate by any Keeper, give that they can provide suitable resources to the council. Other Keepers can indicate how they feel about the directive by providing their own resources to whichever side they support, and the Mandate takes these resource levels into account when they make their decision. Many believe this is tantamount to open bribery, but Keepers point out that the funds go to the Mandate at large, which are then redistributed as they see fit. No single councilor accepts the resources directly, and to offer such a thing is a serious offense.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 29, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Tritium Red-01, Way-Keeper Scavenger

BovWaste! First the Mandate has me pooting about Out-Purple for the last quad-cycle trying to dodge the mangle-bots long enough to pry open one of the Dark Vaults, and that was bad enough! Nearly lost my toes to coldnaw! But now they’ve pulled me back, set me up with a bunch of weirdos, and said that its our duty to save everyone! Oh, and to find as many Pax as I can, thank you very much. Bah.

Still, better than dying with the rest of my caravan when the Harvesters finally overran the last RedSeg Way-Station I suppose.

Tritium is a bit of a wunderkind among the Way-Keepers even at her relatively young age. The sole survivor of the Harvesting of Red-01, she has spent the years finding and emptying caches untouched since the Fall. The Mandate has dropped the problem of the failing enviros in her lap, and promised her a council position if she can bring back a cache of unprimed Pax when she’s done.

Looks:Feminine, grimy face, appraising eyes, athletic body
Stats: Force 0, Lore +2, Steel +1, Sway 0(+1 from Family)
Moves:
Scrapheap Ingenuity: When you spend a few hours wiring up and harmonising all the odd junk you carry around with you, you can accomplish great things. Choose a main feature:
• Sensors that can detect any trace of __________
• A shield against __________
• Communication from afar.
• Destruction of whatever it’s attached to.
The GM will choose one downside:
• Someone needs to stay with it up to its activation.
• It’ll require some potent energy source.
• It needs to charge up before it triggers.

Bag of Tricks: When you search around in your rucksack for something to help you out, roll +Steel. On a hit you pull something out that’ll definitely help. On a 7-9, choose one:
• You're distracted and miss something.
• You have to make do with a similar item.
• There’s a quirk to using it that’ll need your concentration.

Gear:
-Outfit 3:ArmorMesh underclothes (1-Armor), VacuuMask (Vacuum life support), KeepWarm insulated clothes (cold weather life support)
-StabHard knife (weapon, melee), ShootGood rifle (weapon, ranged)
-Vehicle 2: WorkVan air car (Air, Might 1, Chrome 0, Brawn 1, Stunners[ranged, nonlethal])

Backstory:TBD

Role: When a group’s relying on you to find a crucial component, mark Agent. Say who else is searching for it. TBD

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 29, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Black Rice Zaibatsu

History
Everyone has a need for your products. Gain 1-Treaty on everyone.
The Chivalrous Order of Yoshida has brokered deals and forged alliances that might just end up saving mankind and the planet. Take 1-Treaty on them.
The Way Keepers and Mission Alpha supply you with resources vital for cultivation. The Way Keepers provide much needed trade and tools, while Mission Alpha helps provide access to Pax to keep the Pasrean active. Give those Families 1-Treaty on you.

NPCs
  • The Untouchables are those exiled from the Black Rice Zaibatsu due to genetic defects or unclean professions due to their culture's obsession with cleanliness and purity. They exist almost as a client state but are close in proximity to the rumored blooms of Cordyceps vetala as well as the gateway into Naraka, the almost city-state of truly horrific mutants in the Dark Below. They are charged with the funerary practices of cremation as well as pressed into service for tasks such as battleground scrounging and other unpleasantness.
  • The Kolkhozy Sector is the only other faction that can rival the Zaibatsu's food production, due to their ability to "tame" the Harvesters in their sector and supplement their industry with these automatons, though they do not have access to the pre-Fall geneseeds that the Zaibatsu does. They are also intensely isolationist and have no desire to make treaty with the other factions, responding with force to those that come into their lands.

Leadership
The Zaibatsu are run by a shogun appointed from one of the Four Clans, which in turn are a group of extended family aristocratic corporations with a huge focus on lineage and purity of bloodline. The children of each Clan are held as hostage at the Pasrean by the shogun to secure their loyalty and power, and raised communally and separate from the common serfs and the disreputable wave-men bandits that are paid for their service. The Four Clans are Ghatwala, Xin Du, Hashem, and Rábago. The shogunate's succession is always a bloody affair filled with intrigue and assassination, appointed by the Board of Daimyo, both from the leaders of the Four Clans as well as their subsidiary families. The current shogun is Sunan Zhiping Maitra, of the Ghatwala.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Ichi" Amarendra Maitra, Black Rice Zaibatsu Sentinel

Amarendra Maitra is the adult son of the current Zaibatsu shogun, Sunan Zhiping Maitra, who has taken on the identity of a wave-man named Ichi as his father has decided to ignore the current Threat and instead prepare to save themselves with the life-support capabilities of the Pasrean. The daimyo of Hashem has raised banner in protest, causing trouble at home and giving Amarendra the opportunity to escape and try and give his aid to another Family. A born leader, he finds it difficult to truly comprehend the world outside his sheltered upbringing in the cradle-like bliss that the Pasrean gives, which has a quality of life unseen nearly anywhere else after the Fall. With any luck, he will take these lessons back home with him, though he knows he is running out of time, both for the habitat, and before his father's agents and hired wave-men come to collect him. Being one of many children, he knows that he is expendable in the end, and his father will not hesitate to make the order to kill him if taking him alive is no longer an option.

Looks: Concealed, hidden face, judging eyes, muscular body.
Stats: Force +1, Lore -1, Steel +2, Sway +1
Moves:
  • Holding Back the Tide. When you stand in defence of a person, place or thing, roll +Steel. On a 7-9, pick one. On a 10+, pick two.
    • No harm comes to the thing you defend.
    • You deflect blows raining down on you harmlessly away.
    • You force the danger back and away.
  • Steel Rain. When you ambush your enemies with a coordinated strike, take +1 forward to Fiercely Assault for each Character that helps.
Gear
- Outfit 2. ArmorMesh underclothes (1-Armor), VacuuMask (Vacuum life support)
- Followers 1. Hired wave-men. (Quality 1, Specialties: Ambush, extortion.)
- Arsenal 0. Monofilament tachi (melee), bolt-action tranq rifle (nonlethal, ranged)
- Vehicle 1: Unnamed horse stolen from the Pasrean stables. (Mount, Might +0, Chrome +1, Brawn +0)

Backstory
I have sworn to protect _________.
_________ is a trusted comrade in arms.
_________ is soft, but I will make them an asset to their family.

Role: When you fight against a threat that doesn’t endanger your Family, mark Rebel. Say which Faction’s helping you. TBD (Let me know if there are any takers.)

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 30, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hey folks. Been busy with RL and not really clicking in on my writing. Going to bow out so I don't divide my focus too far and bog things down. You all have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822190

GET IN AND POST!

• Locked thread