Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you know the drill: a bunch of dudes assembles a nonsense paper and submits it to an academic journal in a field that everybody already knows to be trash which proceeds to eat that poo poo right up

this time it's gender studies, the paper is about dicks, and the journal is open access

https://twitter.com/peterboghossian/status/865678045369085952

quote:

We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations. The conceptual penis presents significant problems for gender identity and reproductive identity within social and family dynamics, is exclusionary to disenfranchised communities based upon gender or reproductive identity, is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
more like Gender Suckies haha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you know the drill: a bunch of dudes assembles a nonsense paper and submits it to an academic journal in a field that everybody already knows to be trash which proceeds to eat that poo poo right up

this time it's gender studies, the paper is about dicks, and the journal is open access

https://twitter.com/peterboghossian/status/865678045369085952

I disagree with nothing in that conclusion.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
of course this is getting a few people very worked up

https://twitter.com/teresawymore/status/865694816436445184

https://twitter.com/mithicalraven/status/865698346698231808

especially if dick dorkins tweets about it

https://twitter.com/mesosuchus/status/865685478246428674

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I like dick dorkins a little bit more. But he is still a pompous oval office.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Cogent Series isn't all that different from self-publishing an ebook on Amazon

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My HONEYYYY

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stinky_Pete posted:

Cogent Series isn't all that different from self-publishing an ebook on Amazon

wait until the entire field springs to the journals defence in like a day or two lol

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Hmmm

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey, turns out if you write a pseudo-academic paper that adds nothing new to a field of study (usually humanities) but checks off the right buzzwords, a bunch of idiots will eat that poo poo up

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

get that OUT of my face posted:

hey, turns out if you write a pseudo-academic paper that adds nothing new to a field of study (usually humanities) but checks off the right buzzwords, a bunch of idiots will eat that poo poo up

Welcome to postmodernism.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
my penis is literally responsible for the Armenian genocide I'm sorry everyone

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
lmao

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Les Os posted:

my penis is literally responsible for the Armenian genocide I'm sorry everyone

do turkish women pretend your penis doesnt exist or do they just all do that regardless

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
please stop calling me dick dorkins

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
OP's penis is so small they classify it as conceptual lol

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Destructive, unsustainable hegemonically male approaches to pressing environmental policy and action are the predictable results of a raping of nature by a male-dominated mindset. This mindset is best captured by recognizing the role of the conceptual penis holds over masculine psychology. When it is applied to our natural environment, especially virgin environments that can be cheaply despoiled for their material resources and left dilapidated and diminished when our patriarchal approaches to economic gain have stolen their inherent worth, the extrapolation of the rape culture inherent in the conceptual penis becomes clear.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
Anything that trolls the right wing of good in my book.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
On her deathbed, Judith Butler will announce that her entire career was a hoax.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Somebody needs to get laid...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Destructive, unsustainable hegemonically male approaches to pressing environmental policy and action are the predictable results of a raping of nature by a male-dominated mindset. This mindset is best captured by recognizing the role of the conceptual penis holds over masculine psychology. When it is applied to our natural environment, especially virgin environments that can be cheaply despoiled for their material resources and left dilapidated and diminished when our patriarchal approaches to economic gain have stolen their inherent worth, the extrapolation of the rape culture inherent in the conceptual penis becomes clear.

Still seems legit to me.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gender studies is usually like a 100 level course where can skip 90% of the classes and still get a C+. :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Gender studies is usually like a 100 level course where can skip 90% of the classes and still get a C+. :shrug:

So like most 100 level courses.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, this doesn't really mean anything OP. what was the journal? you realize there are lots of journals that will publish anything, including those in the "legitimate" sciences?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mods perma op pls

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
Unfortunately, this isn't a hoax:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

So like most 100 level courses.

Nah why not go to half the classes and swap notes and get an A? :shrug:

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
"Sokal exposed an infatuation with academic puffery that characterizes the entire project of academic postmodernism. Our aim was smaller yet more pointed. We intended to test the hypothesis that flattery of the academic Left’s moral architecture in general, and of the moral orthodoxy in gender studies in particular, is the overwhelming determiner of publication in an academic journal in the field. That is, we sought to demonstrate that a desire for a certain moral view of the world to be validated could overcome the critical assessment required for legitimate scholarship. Particularly, we suspected that gender studies is crippled academically by an overriding almost-religious belief that maleness is the root of all evil. On the evidence, our suspicion was justified."

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Repo Man posted:

"Sokal exposed an infatuation with academic puffery that characterizes the entire project of academic postmodernism. Our aim was smaller yet more pointed. We intended to test the hypothesis that flattery of the academic Left’s moral architecture in general, and of the moral orthodoxy in gender studies in particular, is the overwhelming determiner of publication in an academic journal in the field. That is, we sought to demonstrate that a desire for a certain moral view of the world to be validated could overcome the critical assessment required for legitimate scholarship. Particularly, we suspected that gender studies is crippled academically by an overriding almost-religious belief that maleness is the root of all evil. On the evidence, our suspicion was justified."

Scientists don't know how to test a hypothesis, more at 11

edit: nevermind he's not even a scientist he's an atheist advocate :hmbol:

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 20, 2017

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
wow an article was published in an open access journal so insignificant that it doesn't even have an impact factor

not that any of you will care since you all gotta rush in here to do risky move of insulting gender studies on the internet

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
This is good, but stuff like the real peer review Twitter is better because you can just see sincere articles.

Parody is fine but unnecessary.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gender Studies is so weird. They spend all that time, money, and effort to get a piece of paper that tells employers "I will cause trouble don't hire me".

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

jon joe posted:

edit: nevermind he's not even a scientist he's an atheist advocate :hmbol:

I love gbs because every 2 years they become what they were mocking

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ArtIsResistance posted:

wow an article was published in an open access journal so insignificant that it doesn't even have an impact factor

not that any of you will care since you all gotta rush in here to do risky move of insulting gender studies on the internet

Lol if you think gender studies is real, the people doing all the work are the mentally ill people who claim to be 12 genders at once.
What's next? A child abuse taskforce run by pedophiles?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rape in the 23rd century and the rise of the digital penis dimension.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theperminator posted:

Lol if you think gender studies is real, the people doing all the work are the mentally ill people who claim to be 12 genders at once.
What's next? A child abuse taskforce run by pedophiles?
U mad bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Nah, gender studies is the "the great race space" of the academic world.

• Locked thread