Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Area 4

Seeing double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Area 5

What is Goldar thinking in-universe?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Area 6/7

The final boss alone is much better than Mega Battle.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well that brought back unpleasant memories of the lava chase stage in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Well that brought back unpleasant memories of the lava chase stage in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse.

You should go record that stage and show it off for the amusement of the folks at home.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Extra Rangers

Also known as "Not-Jason".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Final Fight 2

Final Fight 2 is -you guessed it- the sequel to the original Final Fight. Unlike the original game, this one is a console exclusive. That may not seem like a big deal at first, but there are vastly different sensibilities at play. Having no arcade predecessor has lent this game a more reasonable difficulty, for starters. In spite of the noticeable design shift, the biggest complaint toward the game is that it's too similar. It features the same three character archetypes with the same three strategies, similar enemies, and so on. This is valid criticism, but having a slightly improved and significantly less brutal version of the original game was good enough for me.

Videos

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 19, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Something about Carlos and his stance makes me think of Kenshiro.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Something about Carlos and his stance makes me think of Kenshiro.

I can't LP Ken's Rage twice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stage 2

Maybe Freddie is an estranged cousin.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And random Guile cameo in the background of the Freddie fight

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I wanted to point that out, but I wasn't sure if it was him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DeathChicken posted:

Chun-Li was in stage 1.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Hey, they did the censorship thing again. Those enemies that jump in from the side are women in the Japanese game. The 90s were a hell of a time, huh?

Also, "I skipped ahead because the stage was too long and repetitive" sums up this particular game better than anything else you could possibly say.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Man, this thread has been a doozy to binge on.

I do not think I've ever seen a game as aggressively mediocre as Mega Battle. I did find it really odd that the Tengu dissolved into puddles of slime, despite Ivan Ooze not making an appearance. Using the theme song from Power Rangers Samurai to represent a classic-series Power Rangers game was also kind of a strange choice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Using the theme song from Power Rangers Samurai to represent a classic-series Power Rangers game was also kind of a strange choice.

That's where it's from? I wonder how much else of the music is taken from the shows.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You should go record that stage and show it off for the amusement of the folks at home.

Well sure.

...why yes, Wolverine is easy mode for that stage. And nearly every other stage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Well sure.

...why yes, Wolverine is easy mode for that stage. And nearly every other stage.

How spammable are those special moves?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You can do them as much as you like, but they all have different commands and delays. Wolverine's dive claw is just a matter of jumping, holding Down and attacking. Cyclops and his beam are a Hadoken input. Which led me to hitting the first one okay, then comically flubbing my inputs until the lava got me :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

You can do them as much as you like, but they all have different commands and delays. Wolverine's dive claw is just a matter of jumping, holding Down and attacking.

Good, good.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stage 3

I'd play action figures with Bratken.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'd play action figures with Bratken.

Every game should have the collectible action figures from Brave Fencer Musashi.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Every game should have the collectible action figures from Brave Fencer Musashi.

Can you battle with them?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sadly, no. :(

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stage 4

Go away Philippe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So eager to fight you he couldn't even be bothered to not destroy the door of his own train car.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

So eager to fight you he couldn't even be bothered to not destroy the door of his own train car.

That's probably just how he starts each performance.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stage 5

This is the best level you can go home now

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Stage 6

I guess Retu wasn't as strong as Rolento said.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm not going to lie, my respect for Master is pretty diminished if he got captured by Pink Hops there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not going to lie, my respect for Master is pretty diminished if he got captured by Pink Hops there.

Surely he knew the ancient Jump-Kick technique.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I like to think that Retu is just Belger in heavy, heavy costume, and that's why he's so ineffective. I mean, Belger had terrific ups.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

I like to think that Retu is just Belger in heavy, heavy costume, and that's why he's so ineffective. I mean, Belger had terrific ups.

The dude forgot his crossbow.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'd almost think you didn't care for that final fight :v:

I might do a runthrough of X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, if the captain doesn't mind. Entirely a 2D beat em up, but close enough

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I'd almost think you didn't care for that final fight :v:

I might do a runthrough of X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, if the captain doesn't mind. Entirely a 2D beat em up, but close enough

The game as a whole is fine on Normal mode, I like it.

And I'd actually enjoy seeing that yeah, I'd be honored if you posted it here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Avengers: United Battle Force

Avengers: UBF is a beat 'em up fan project heavily inspired by Captain America and The Avengers. Well, it's supposed to be, apparently. In reality, UBF is such a massive upward leap in quality and variety that it's almost an insult to associate it with its inspiration. And I really liked Captain America and The Avengers. This game isn't perfect, but it's one of the most impressive and fun side-scrolling beat 'em ups I've played.

What's so neat about it?

The variety of playable characters, the presentation, the enemy types, and the bosses. It's pretty good all-around. Still, there are weak links, and those are usually balance related. Some are particularly, offensively game-breaking, but it's fun enough that the positives outweigh the flaws.

Videos

Part 1 - Quicksilver

Part 2 - Beast

Part 3 - Thor

Part 4 - Sub-Mariner

Part 5 - Captain America

Part 6 - Hulk

Part 7 - Abigail Brand

Part 8 - Red Hulk

Part 9 - War Machine

Part 10 - Sub-Mariner Redux

Part Final - Wolverine

Extra

Avengers Assemble!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 27, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Interesting, the boss is a recolor of an enemy from the absolutely brutal Ninja Warriors Again.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm impressed that the Fast character is really genuinely super super fast, as opposed to the mild sub-jog that you get in most beat 'em ups. I know Maki was faster than Haggar, but if you aren't used to beat 'em up game conventions I doubt you'd be impressed with the pace of her stroll.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Interesting, the boss is a recolor of an enemy from the absolutely brutal Ninja Warriors Again.

Maybe the game is really that good. I should get around to it sometime.

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm impressed that the Fast character is really genuinely super super fast, as opposed to the mild sub-jog that you get in most beat 'em ups. I know Maki was faster than Haggar, but if you aren't used to beat 'em up game conventions I doubt you'd be impressed with the pace of her stroll.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that much, so it's good to be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Aw, they used the portrait art from the Facebook Marvel Alliance game. Which I sorely miss and am still mad they canceled

• Locked thread