Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

C) Tinder and Instagram changed the loving game, literally

I need to hear more of this theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Metapod posted:

Easier to bring the ladies to you, less energy expended on road bangin

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

You used to have to go out to the clubs, throw money around, find girls or have them found by some weirdo local power broker, show them a good time and go back to your hotel room. Now you just go on Tinder or Instagram a few days before and you've already got a date coming to your room before your plane even lands. Probably turns two hours of music and drinking into two extra hours of sleep.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wade is the worst complainer because he will actually complain while the other team is playing 5 on 4 on the other end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wade and Draymond are way worse than LeBron.

LeBron did complain more with the Heat, though. Which I just blame on Wade's influence.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Patrick Spens posted:

Home teams win 60 percent of NBA games. Dismissing the crowd as a factor is dumb.

There are lots of reasons for this beyond crowds having magic abilities that make their players play better and as noted it's become much less dramatic recently

LeBron doesn't care and can't hear you, sorry

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's more fun to believe it's true though. Sports are about joy, idk why people try to suck the joy out of them sometimes tbh.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

you guys somehow this didn't work

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
lol the celtics just couldn't score on a 4 on 2 fast break

e: Wrong thread but gently caress the Celtics anyway

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MourningView posted:

you guys somehow this didn't work

I'm not paying attention to the game. what's the sco....:stonk:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is because NBA refs exert more direct influence on games than in any other sport, not because basketball fans are magical

So what influences the refs?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

General Dog posted:

So what influences the refs?

Gambling profits?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This is the best Tebow related writing you'll ever see
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/866111351156092928

quote:

The fan was distracted at the time and didn’t notice the ball heading for his, shall we say, man zone. Which is where the ball hit him. In the man zone.

Can you say, Teb-OW?

“I hear this guy behind me yell, ‘Watch out,’” the fan, Doug Brustman, told the New York Post. “And as he’s yelling, the ball comes right through the railing and hits me right in the nuts. It was a direct hit.”

While doubled over in pain, Brustman was able to ask for the identity of his assailant. “It was literally like a Seinfeld episode,” he said. “The guy behind me shouts, ‘It was Tebow.’

“It reminded me of his days with the Jets, when he couldn’t complete a pass. This guy is so inaccurate, even with a baseball.”

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Before you click on this link, guess how 538 described Manu Ginobli in the title of a career reflection on him.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

trem_two posted:

This is the best Tebow related writing you'll ever see
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/866111351156092928

Seems like he was potentially incredibly accurate/precise

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Coco13 posted:

Before you click on this link, guess how 538 described Manu Ginobli in the title of a career reflection on him.

I got it. Turns out all i win is a 3 hour podcast of Bill Simmons debating whether Vin Diesel and Kobe are overrated or properly rated, and 20 minutes of him constructing falls equivalencies about airplane restrictions/accommodations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BWV posted:

I got it. Turns out all i win is a 3 hour podcast of Bill Simmons debating whether Vin Diesel and Kobe are overrated or properly rated, and 20 minutes of him constructing falls equivalencies about airplane restrictions/accommodations.

I thought you would've gotten the Unicorn Play-In Bracket, which decides a few spots for The Ringer's Unicorn of Unicorns Bracket.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
lol

https://twitter.com/MedensEdens/status/867448672816173056

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahaha :thurman:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Some real hindsight gold there, like when he shits on Memphis for the Pau Gasol trade, then ALSO says he would never bring in Zach Randolph or Vince Carter. If the Bucks had the Grizzlies' roster they'd have been in like 4 or 5 straight ECFs and maybe won in 2015.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/869248594783633408

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, a Japanese driver won the Indy 500 last night.

This was one a columnist in Denver's response:
https://twitter.com/erikmal/status/868960962014924800

He got fired

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

He got fired

His apology was incredible

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

His apology was incredible

:airquote: Apology :airquote:

He'll have fun times looking for a job now. As said elsewhere, hopefully he doesn't have a family to raise!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If only he'd thrown in the "No offense to orientals" preamble

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

http://grantland.com/features/the-greatest-paper-ever-died/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/869521304172605441
looking forward to his smug tweets about how his great content always wins out

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

trem_two posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/869521304172605441
looking forward to his smug tweets about how his great content always wins out

Medium killed off their ad services earlier this year and cut a lot of sales/support jobs earlier this year so The Ringer moving to a different platform was an inevitability. I imagine they probably get some ad revenue, but not nearly as much as when they were hosting direct to Medium. Seems like a pretty good deal since Vox isn't getting a piece of the company, just the ability to add it to their portfolio of bad sports sites. I've seen some really good video and long form content on Vox but it's not some place I go out of my way to visit. They're better than Buzzfeed so that's something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

They're better than Buzzfeed so that's something.

that bar is buried far beneath the earth

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Akileese posted:

Medium killed off their ad services earlier this year and cut a lot of sales/support jobs earlier this year so The Ringer moving to a different platform was an inevitability. I imagine they probably get some ad revenue, but not nearly as much as when they were hosting direct to Medium. Seems like a pretty good deal since Vox isn't getting a piece of the company, just the ability to add it to their portfolio of bad sports sites. I've seen some really good video and long form content on Vox but it's not some place I go out of my way to visit. They're better than Buzzfeed so that's something.

Are you saying SB Nation is bad? Because it's pretty good, at least the mothership is.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

General Dog posted:

Are you saying SB Nation is bad? Because it's pretty good, at least the mothership is.

Quite the opposite. Their separate entities are pretty awesome but the main Vox content I can take or leave. I thought it's a good move for The Ringer (and Simmons specifically) because he maintains ownership and they get to run as a separate entity. With Medium shutting down their ad services, they didn't have a lot of leverage. I was pretty shocked he managed to keep the whole company and not have to offer even a small piece of it for a good ad rate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah SBN on the whole is fine. Vox is awful though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Akileese posted:

Quite the opposite. Their separate entities are pretty awesome but the main Vox content I can take or leave. I thought it's a good move for The Ringer (and Simmons specifically) because he maintains ownership and they get to run as a separate entity. With Medium shutting down their ad services, they didn't have a lot of leverage. I was pretty shocked he managed to keep the whole company and not have to offer even a small piece of it for a good ad rate.

So what does Vox get in the deal, just a cut of the ad revenue?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

General Dog posted:

So what does Vox get in the deal, just a cut of the ad revenue?

That appears to be the case from what I read in the article. Like I said, I'm pretty loving shocked. The Ringer's platform literally discontinued their ad service division, which means they had virtually no leverage over Vox. That leads me to believe they're getting a pretty big chunk of that sweet ad revenue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

He got fired

Is Frei at all a respectable journalist/author? The book he plugs hardest seems to be historical fiction with a pro-Leni Reifenstahl bent.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Inspector_666 posted:

Is Frei at all a respectable journalist/author? The book he plugs hardest seems to be historical fiction with a pro-Leni Reifenstahl bent.

Toronto's very own hot-dog conspiracy theorist Steve Simmons thinks he is one of the best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Captain Internet posted:

Toronto's very own hot-dog conspiracy theorist Steve Simmons thinks he is one of the best.

So no, then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

No, not really. His writing is incredibly heavy on bootstrapping themes and anytime he's writing about actual, real history, it's incredibly slanted. The book he co-wrote about Patrick Roy's return to the Avalanche was nearly unreadable.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm a bit confused about the whole Ringer thing/ad service/platforms. This is my understanding. Please correct.
The Ringer was running on Medium. Medium let them keep all the ad revenue in exchange for The Ringer showing people that Medium was a legit good site to use as a website platform? Medium then then discontinued letting them keep the ad revenue? Or Medium stopped wanting to share ad revenue? Or Medium did something? And then they switched to Vox's platform, which will they will now share ad revenue on?
And just to fill in all my ignorance, the reason they want to be using these platforms and not build their own (like with Grantland) is that it's really expensive/annoying/difficult to build one from scratch?
Help a geezer out fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BWV posted:

I'm a bit confused about the whole Ringer thing/ad service/platforms. This is my understanding. Please correct.
The Ringer was running on Medium. Medium let them keep all the ad revenue in exchange for The Ringer showing people that Medium was a legit good site to use as a website platform? Medium then then discontinued letting them keep the ad revenue? Or Medium stopped wanting to share ad revenue? Or Medium did something? And then they switched to Vox's platform, which will they will now share ad revenue on?
And just to fill in all my ignorance, the reason they want to be using these platforms and not build their own (like with Grantland) is that it's really expensive/annoying/difficult to build one from scratch?
Help a geezer out fam.

Medium flat-out stopped selling ads, which left The Ringer responsible for developing its own sales force to get ads on the site. This prompted The Ringer to look for a new home.