Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Raxivace posted:

The correct order to view Twin Peaks in is actually Blue Velvet > Fire Walk With Me > The International Version of the Pilot > Any given Let's Play of Silent Hill 2 > Deadly Premonition (Xbox 360 version) > Eraserhead > Inland Empire

This will provide the best viewing experience IMO.

Uh huh, and where do I put my feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

nopants posted:

Uh huh, and where do I put my feet?
Through a pair of pants might be a good start.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so psyched but why the 8pm timeslot :(. we already have like 5 shows that dvr in that slot so we have to do the "find a later time" dance every week to get it all recorded. sunday at 8 is a popular slot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jimbot posted:

Oh rad, PS4 has a Showtime App I can get and since I'm a PS+ member I get a small discount (two bucks off). Not bad!
Oh yeah? I was wondering which app I should go with. I was gonna subscribe tomorrow. The iPhone app gives you a 30 day free trial though, and I think the PS4 app only gives you a 7 day free trial. Although I guess after I activate my 30 day free trial, I could just watch it through the PS4 app using the same login, right?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Raxivace posted:

TV Donna and Movie Donna are essentially different characters but I feel like they both fit in the kind of faux-50's postmodern genre blob that is this series.

Like movie Donna is essentially a secondary love interest from any old Hollywood of the 40's and 50's (She wouldn't be out of place in something like It's a Wonderful Life), and equally as naieve as a lot of those characters are. She just happens to waltz into a Blue Velvet-esque movie with its drugs and orgies and is completely out of place.

TV Donna, on the other hand, is essentially the teenaged version of a Hitchcock blonde (Despite not having the hair to match) but because she's a dorky teenager she can't make it work and is frustrated and angry and jealous of others as a result. The guy she's trying to lead around isn't some suave Cary Grant type either, but an unsexy version of James Dean's character from Rebel Without a Cause.

Isn't the idea that the death of Laura changes her forever, and she almost like incorporates bits and pieces of Laura into her personality after that point?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The "Just You and I" scene is absolutely fantastic - the perfect culmination of the Mandy-James-Donna storyline. And then what happens after? Loved it on my first run, and love it in isolation, too. I've never understood why it gets trashed so regularly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWWM began with a television being broken. I hope season 3 begins with a television being fixed or something similar.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Isn't the idea that the death of Laura changes her forever, and she almost like incorporates bits and pieces of Laura into her personality after that point?
It is, but I get the feeling that it would have been more noticeable in the TV series had Moira Kelly been playing Donna from the beginning.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
FWWM was a bad movie, an uneven mess that not even Lee's performance could salvage it. Re-watching it again recently only made me feel even more hostile towards it. There's some good scenes and I like that it was explored further with Leland being tormented by his demons (BOB) and the suffering Laura had to endure. The bad "spirits" from the Black Lodge make more metaphorical sense than what was suggested from the TV show. I know the film had to be cut down from 5 or 6 hours worth, but the editing was poorly done. Oh and Donna was a total miscast.

Overall it was a terrible misfire from Lynch, who is pretty inconsistent in my world (Mulholland Dr is like in my top 3 favorite films, that being said).

Love the original series except of course that disastrously awful run of S2 episodes up to and including the Windom Earle arc.

The new series probably is not going to be anything like the original, for better or worse. As long as Lynch/Frost have much more creative control over the project it'll be pretty drat good, but I'm not exactly expecting a total nostalgic revisit of the original series (a good thing). I'm glad Angelo is back to scoring the new series.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 20, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
FWWM is a great and gruelling movie about sexual abuse. It's also sort of a mess, but I could never dislike it.

It's also not the fault of the movie, but I can only ever see Moira Kelly as Mandy in THE WEST WING, and remember how that show just shipped her away and literally never mentioned her again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

God, I really hope that Lynch finds a way to bring back 'Invitation To Love'.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I'm sure it's been recently rebooted and everyone thinks it's a lame cash-in and that the actors are too old to reprise their roles.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

business hammocks posted:

I'm sure it's been recently rebooted and everyone thinks it's a lame cash-in and that the actors are too old to reprise their roles.

:perfect:

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Unlikely. That was all Frost's baby and I believe that Lynch's uncertainty about them is why they didn't come back for the second season.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slum Village posted:

Unlikely. That was all Frost's baby and I believe that Lynch's uncertainty about them is why they didn't come back for the second season.

That's actually fairly surprising. Given Lynch's love of duality, I would've thought it was down to him.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

business hammocks posted:

Holy poo poo.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Confounding Factor posted:

FWWM was a bad movie, an uneven mess that not even Lee's performance could salvage it. Re-watching it again recently only made me feel even more hostile towards it. There's some good scenes and I like that it was explored further with Leland being tormented by his demons (BOB) and the suffering Laura had to endure. The bad "spirits" from the Black Lodge make more metaphorical sense than what was suggested from the TV show. I know the film had to be cut down from 5 or 6 hours worth, but the editing was poorly done. Oh and Donna was a total miscast.

Overall it was a terrible misfire from Lynch, who is pretty inconsistent in my world (Mulholland Dr is like in my top 3 favorite films, that being said).

Love the original series except of course that disastrously awful run of S2 episodes up to and including the Windom Earle arc.

The new series probably is not going to be anything like the original, for better or worse. As long as Lynch/Frost have much more creative control over the project it'll be pretty drat good, but I'm not exactly expecting a total nostalgic revisit of the original series (a good thing). I'm glad Angelo is back to scoring the new series.

nah

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's funny how in the minutes that pass between S1 ending and S2 starting, Blackie (The woman at One Eyed Jacks) is suddenly a heroin addict. And in the few hours that have passed, Donna has turned into a femme fatale.

Don't get me wrong, I get why it happens. Its an extension of how Laura impacts their lives that even in death Donna is trying to emulate her (She's also slowly losing James). It makes sense that she would play dress up as this ridiculous character, and has this amazing exchange with James about her smoking:

Donna: Helps relieve tension.
James: When did you get so tense?
Donna: When I started smoking.

The only problem is that it comes so suddenly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
FWWM is Lynch's best film.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Got only the final episode left to watch and FWWM. Looks like I'll be done in time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Chev posted:

Got only the final episode left to watch and FWWM. Looks like I'll be done in time.

I'm not sure if The Missing Pieces will play any sort of part, but if you can that's worth watching as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Missing Pieces are definitely worth watching.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Looks like I'll be watching FWWM and the Missing Pieces tonight, then. Probably FWWM first for the rewatch, it has been a few years.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Missing Pieces are definitely worth watching.

Holy poo poo yes. I think "I've been to one of their meetings" is the scariest scene Lynch has ever done and to get an extended version was mindblowing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there a "best" way to subscribe to Showtime? The iOS app has a 30 day free trial while the Amazon add-on and PS4 apps only have 7 day free trials, but if I sign up using the iOS app, can I only watch through there or can I use my login across all devices? I mean I guess not with Amazon because that would be tied to my Amazon account...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know I posted it in the previous thread, but for any and all Canadians, CraveTV will be airing this alongside Showtime, on the same date and time, so you won't be missing out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If anyone has Sling TV, they're doing a free Showtime weekend, so you can put off subscribing for a couple days.

I love Twin Peaks. I discovered it Halloween 2002 when Bravo aired the pilot. I have all the books. I even named my dog Cooper. Coincidentally, the vet estimated that he was born on February 24, the day Laura was discovered in the water. That tripped me out when she told me.

Here's Cooper, the pup. Let's hope the dude he's named after turns out OK in the end.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there a "best" way to subscribe to Showtime? The iOS app has a 30 day free trial while the Amazon add-on and PS4 apps only have 7 day free trials, but if I sign up using the iOS app, can I only watch through there or can I use my login across all devices? I mean I guess not with Amazon because that would be tied to my Amazon account...

Try using a credit card.

edit: A credit card is a plastic rectangle with numbers on it. It is used to make purchases in lieu of cash or personal cheque. You put the numbers on the rectangle into the appropriate box on Showtime's website.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

I know the film had to be cut down from 5 or 6 hours worth, but the editing was poorly done.

First of all, you're wrong because FWWM is one of Lynch's best films, and the pivotal moment in his filmography, with incredible performances.

But specifically, the longest cut was a 4h15m assembly. Which isn't as long as it sounds. It's not at all uncommon for the first cut of a film to be twice its final running time.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The fan-edit of FWWM with deleted scenes added back in is good. All the extra Chett Desmond is a lot of fun.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just want to say I have been waiting (I can't believe I can literally say this) nearly decades for this, and I can hardly contain my elation that it is happening again!! I was too young to appreciate the show when it came out, but when I watched it at age 15 or so in... 2001 I think, it made a huge impression on me.

I loved Fire Walk With Me even more than a lot of the show, because it had a more concentrated dose of that.... terrifying, mysterious, intriguing, dreamlike and mythic atmosphere that Lynch is somehow able to create almost out of nowhere in every day places. That was what made Twin Peaks so great to me, originally... That dreamlike Lynchian quality combined with Frost's ability to create serialized TV that is fun and watchable. And it's so great and awesome that both Frost and Lynch were involved in this from the start because as far as I'm concerned it simply wouldn't have been Twin Peaks, otherwise.

I still remember when Lynch tried to pull out of this, insisting that he sincerely thought there were better directors out there to do the show. And the whole cast practically made a video essentially saying "It's not Twin Peaks without Lynch" and that they'd only be doing the project if HE was doing the project. So sweet.

And with the original Twin Peaks, it was like.... ONLY the Lynch-directed episodes felt 'right' to me, in this weird way. They were ALWAYS the best episodes and always had something interesting, intense, spooky, creative, or awesome going on. Again, probably why I loved FWWM so much. I mean I *loved* that move, I think I watched it at least *20 freaking times* just trying to figure it all out. And I feel like I have a unique understanding and relationship with that film and with this series in general because of, well, the subject matter. I also survived hosed-up abuse as a child, and at the very heart of this show is the fact that Laura Palmer is a survivor of unspeakable child abuse which, in my eyes, has always had a huge amount to do with the tenor and tone of the mythological landscape that Cooper is exploring while investigating her death.

Anyway, I'm just beyond excited. Especially when the head of Showtime is like, "This Twin Peaks series is the Lynchian equivalent of mainlining heroin" or whatever it was. Sounds great to me! I mean, Lynch directing ALL of the loving episodes (and SOO many of them) makes me ridiculously and absurdly excited but I do hp[e Frost helped to make it flow together coherently as he did the first time 'round.

Good god this is gonna be awesome :much: I am looking forward to these first four hours of the show, uh, a lot.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 21, 2017

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Same. I remember seeing a bit about Twin Peaks on some culture review show here in the UK when I was 14 and thinking, "that sounds interesting". The show blew my little teenage mind. Up til then all the art I'd seen was trying to be a popular and that was that. Every song in the charts wanted to be number one, every film wanted to be the next Star Wars, every TV show wanted to top the ratings. Twin Peaks was the first thing I saw that was expressive and seemed to talk about human emotion. What gets lost with the years is exactly what the impact of the pilot was and why. The first half hour give or take focuses on the grief of family and friends and whoever else after this murder. That part of it has been forgotten about, and probably doesn't even register with younger viewers who've gone back to it as TV has grown up a lot since. The show is focused mostly on good, honest people trying to cope with horrible things. I've just finished a re-watch and it's really striking how there are very few "evil" characters, and even some of them are either redeemed or given a plausible reason for acting the way they do. Even Jean Renault gives a thoughtful speech about why he is like he is, even Ben Horne repents in his own way.

That said, then was then and now is now. I'm hoping Mark Frost works in some sort of parody or homage to current TV just like the original did and we get riffs on the whole post-HBO era of TV. There's been a little bit of leakage from the premiere and it sounds like it's going to be fun and scary and might just hark back to other Lynch stuff other than the original series, which sounds great. I'm just stupidly hyped and amazed this is happening again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I had always heard Twin Peaks was good, and while I was in a used DVD store many years ago I saw they had a copy of the golden boxset with seasons 1 and 2 available. I picked it up for a whim, looked at the cool postcards it came with, and then it sat on my shelf for a while.

At some point later I saw and liked Blue Velvet, remembered I had that Twin Peaks set, and then a few nights later I camped down in my dark basement with the large screen TV and put it on. Been hooked on Lynch ever since.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The fan-edit of FWWM with deleted scenes added back in is good. All the extra Chett Desmond is a lot of fun.

it changes the movie too much. fwwm is maybe the most emotionally real exploration of domestic abuse in film. the cut stuff was cut for good reason.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This thread is going to be more entertaining than the show.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I remember watching the show as a child, had the scariest nightmares from it.
Couldn't really get into it when trying to rewatch it as an adult though.
Maybe this will give me an incentive to try again.
But in the case I don't, is it okay to start watching the new season without much prior knowledge of the first seasons?
Like, I know the outline of the story, but the characters, I probably wouldn't be able to recognize.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monglo posted:

I remember watching the show as a child, had the scariest nightmares from it.
Couldn't really get into it when trying to rewatch it as an adult though.
Maybe this will give me an incentive to try again.
But in the case I don't, is it okay to start watching the new season without much prior knowledge of the first seasons?
Like, I know the outline of the story, but the characters, I probably wouldn't be able to recognize.

I don't think anybody knows yet. Given the huge amount of returning cast, and the fact that Laura Palmer's murder seems like it will still be a main plot point, I'd be inclined to say no.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
poo poo, this starts tomorrow? ALREADY?

Nice. Also, FWWM is a fantastic film and I don't know how anyone could disagree :colbert:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Monglo posted:

Early reports say the new season, at least what was previewed so far for critics etc., mostly follows new characters and a new storyline but relies heavily on the audience remembering references to past seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Two Worlds posted:

First of all, you're wrong because FWWM is one of Lynch's best films, and the pivotal moment in his filmography, with incredible performances.

But specifically, the longest cut was a 4h15m assembly. Which isn't as long as it sounds. It's not at all uncommon for the first cut of a film to be twice its final running time.

I like it, but for me it's his 5th best movie. I have a poster for it too, just saying.

Very very pumped for this by the way!