Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

the good fax machine posted:

Reminder you can also pre-order with Amazon and then just cancel when you get the code or before the game comes out if you want to buy direct from battle.net, as they don't charge you anything until it ships.

Exactly what I did to get my beta access :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
So am I getting this right, the PC version has an unknown release date, no dedicated servers, unknown tickrate that's possibly 10Hz like the first game, and the PC port is outsourced to some company with no PC development experience?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I know, it's pretty exciting

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

koolkal posted:

So am I getting this right, the PC version has an unknown release date, no dedicated servers, unknown tickrate that's possibly 10Hz like the first game, and the PC port is outsourced to some company with no PC development experience?

Sounds like a Kickstarter campaign, doesn't it?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

koolkal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByYId6P8-KA

They developed Spy Muppets: License to Croak.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

koolkal posted:

But we can finally play $60 worth of shootman content spread over multiple years and $150+ of season passes on PC!

In 4K!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I paid 400$ for a PS4 and Destiny made it worth it. Is just that a good a game if you have friends to do raids*. On the PC there are a million other MMO games to compete it. The interesting thing Destiny do with raids is you can complete a raid in 1 hour (if you know what you are doing) so is sort of compatible with adult life (90%, guarantee!).

* I installed Destiny, and of course my friend list was empty. Because I had never played a console before. In a few week it was playing with other people, making new friends, joking. And I am bad at making new friends.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I played Destiny a ton on PS4, and while I never really ended up liking Bungie for it, it was an undeniably gorgeous game, so if you want a good-looking game with decent mechanics, it's a nice game to take you rig for a spin with.

Assuming their port partners aren't useless, of course.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

koolkal posted:

people already played a bunch of strikes on the pc in a demo version and it's snappy and beautiful as hell soooo

no way I'm going back for another round of 30 fps console hell (destiny was fun in spite of the console environment, not because of it)

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-bungie-plans-to-make-destiny-2-on-pc-legit-on-day-one/

The Bungie rep slips like a greased eel around questions. Some okay news but the company handling the port, "Vicarious Visions" has mostly done Skylanders and doesn't have a PC credit to its name.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to play and enjoy this

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Vicarious Visions did the Guitar Hero 3 port for Wii. The one that was down mixed to mono? Destiny 2 on PC will only have the audio from the left headphone.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
No dedicated servers is such a baffling decision to me. Surely there has to be more to it than just penny-pinching.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Bardeh posted:

No dedicated servers is such a baffling decision to me. Surely there has to be more to it than just penny-pinching.

This is Activision we're talking about..

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ufarn posted:

I played Destiny a ton on PS4, and while I never really ended up liking Bungie for it, it was an undeniably gorgeous game,

It was passable for an early PS4 game but far from amazing and it looks like they haven't improved the visuals at all for 2. It won't impress anyone with a good PC.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It was passable for an early PS4 game but far from amazing and it looks like they haven't improved the visuals at all for 2. It won't impress anyone with a good PC.

Destiny 2 will have some amazing design. Is not the number of polygons, but what you do with it. Incredible skybox and areas like the Vault of Glass that in essence are supersimple, but the first time your visit look like places that can hold entire worlds of mystery.

In the videos I have seen some of that. In the assault theres this part where the boss attack you from outside the arena, walking on some sort of white infinite plane of bits, it just looks cool.

Design > # polygons.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 20, 2017

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Probably carried over some of the networking stuff from the first game to save time on development, a few of the reload animations were carried over from what people saw.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

165Hz and G-Sync makes games of all graphical fidelity look good, trust me :D

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Higher resolution textures instantly make games look much better. If the artist have not deleted the original files, is kind of easy to pack the game with the higher resolution version of the same textures.

The same can be applied to other stuff, like sound (less) and models (maybe?). Then you have better rendering and subtle effects.

So yea, the PC version can be the better looking version by a fat factor, if they want to.

Like.... the best version of Supermario 3D Worlds was the one running in 1080p in Dolphin... (sorry for this :files: reference).

---

There can be a bit of a timing problem if VV progress porting the game is too delayed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I moved this back to Games main because of the amount of vitriol I saw against PC gamers in the other Destiny thread.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I moved this back to Games main because of the amount of vitriol I saw against PC gamers in the other Destiny thread.

Yeah it got vicious pretty fast. Those guys sure are protective of their outdated hardware!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Just some silly banter, pc guardians... Don't forget to check back with the main thread for the latest in top notch meta chat, and previews of exclusive ps4 content! :woop:

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Man, I was really looking forward to Destiny on PC but that recent interview has so many red lights. I mean peer-to-peer is horrible but I guess I'll take it over nothing at all. Heres to hoping the port isn't a total loss.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tei posted:

Higher resolution textures instantly make games look much better. If the artist have not deleted the original files, is kind of easy to pack the game with the higher resolution version of the same textures.

Sincerely I doubt you will see higher resolution textures on PC since the game will be 68 gigabytes already.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

sarr posted:

Man, I was really looking forward to Destiny on PC but that recent interview has so many red lights. I mean peer-to-peer is horrible but I guess I'll take it over nothing at all. Heres to hoping the port isn't a total loss.

The problem with Bungie is never about what they say because if it were about that you will pardon them (because the game played is ultra good).

The problem is what they omit: the changes to endgame economy and leveling they made for taken King made the game way worse for people with limited time to commit to raids and it took eight months and an advertisement campaign to fix that. And I am still not sure if it works, too tired about going to Mars to the billionth time to do the same missions for the vanguard.

The introduction of SBMM which made PvP playlists more depopulated and games harder to complete since if you are semi decent you will end up as top score in the losing team.

The fact Iron Banner gives out only a few kind of pieces of gear, so that you have only one week per month and you would still hit a ceiling for leveling up too soon and you still had to do aids Trials of Osiris and three hours raids to progress.

The fact that as soon as a new expansion hit you don't have anymore any kind of endgame activities if you don't pony up any money.

Now the new question up in the air is if the matchmaking features they promised are for all levels of difficulty or only for the easy mode (which will kill the usefulness of the feature three weeks in when nobody with an established clan will use it to seek for freshmeat, only play hard mode and just schedule raids on slack like they used to).

If anything two DLCs will make D2's first year way more tolerable than The Taken King and Rise of Iron. And maybe, I say Maybe, the fact areas are bigger than D1 areas will keep tedium at bay. But seriously peer to peer is the last of your concern if you want to find something to hate this franchise for (more than else I will be here waiting for you the Crowbcat video)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I guess Destiny one would be my 700 hours game with a big red thumb and dumb review on Steam.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The sequel is probably going to be hot garbage on consoles and PC so why are the console plebs so butthurt over losing exclusivity of what's probably going to be a lovely game?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

treiz01 posted:

This is by far the most confusing thing. If you're already using Blizzard's game client to handle your PC services, why not have the same dedicated servers used for LITERALLY ALL BLIZZARD GAMES

What I don't understand between this and For Honor is we've long had the issue of "dedicated servers are a big fixed cost and players go down over time" solved with THE CLOUD, which Ubisoft even uses for their other titles but $70 releases with loot boxes and season passes just aren't enough money for some games so save a buck and give the players NAT issues, higher ping, desynchs, host advantage and disconnections!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

spasticColon posted:

The sequel is probably going to be hot garbage on consoles and PC so why are the console plebs so butthurt over losing exclusivity of what's probably going to be a lovely game?

it's posts... just like this!!! they're outraged that you'd post this! before, they just posted about destiny, but now, they have to post about how destiny PC posters are ruining their thread. you've really hosed it up now!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can only assume Ubisoft's strategy is based on a sales graph with explosive growth the first two weeks and absolutely nothing after - when people realize there's no endgame and that the netcode makes any hardcore approach impossible.

Then they can always release DLC or whatever that promises to bring big changes and see if that drives sales.

I think Destiny has so many game modes that it's harder for people to zero in one a few big problems that hold them back; I just kept playing PvP back in the days when there was little PvE left to do, and then they started locking me out from regular game modes because I didn't get the new DLC.

I think, for better or worse, that Destiny 2 is going to feel exactly like Destiny 1. For the fans, this is a nice update with new content that gives everything a fresh look, and for those who hoped Destiny would grapple with some of the core issues, they shouldn't expect to see any major about faces.

It's going to see how the PC community react to the netcode in PvP, though; maybe they can be a louder voice that'll make Destiny do something about it.

Assuming the PC port doesn't give us other issues to talk about.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Welcome back to the second page of the games forum guys.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
in going to play and enjoy this

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
how loving dare you

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

eonwe posted:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

eonwe posted:

Purple elephant pc exclusive confirmed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
One great thing about Destiny 2 is they won't make you play loving Heroes of the Storm for dumb baubles and trinkets.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ufarn posted:

dumb baubles and trinkets.

Emblems and shaders?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ufarn posted:

One great thing about Destiny 2 is they won't make you play loving Heroes of the Storm for dumb baubles and trinkets.

Yeah

It'll be Overwatch instead

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Welcome back to the second page of the games forum guys.

You only know this because I came and poked that infected wound you call a console thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

treiz01 posted:

You only know this because I came and poked that infected wound you call a console thread

:wrong:

• Locked thread