Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The bareknuckle argument is definitely a good argument against concussions, but it would mean a lot less boxing style striking which TBH is the most entertaining part of MMA for most people. Makes me feel like a horrible person. :smith: (Though I suppose there's always potential for Muay Thai dominance!)

I would definitely like to see them trial new rules every now and then.

And thanks for the answers on the takedown thing! Curious about the origin of TDs, I always associate it with wrestlers but I dunno if it comes from a specific discipline or if it was a general thing that got refined...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont see how dropping the gloves is gonna make a headkick feel any less like being cracked across the skull with a baseball bat. or being dropped on the canvas head first etc. headgear would seem like a better idea. but i think the best solution to concussions in contact sports is to improve the post competition medical care as well as the research and technology involved as much as possible. or to outlaw contact sports but 6000+ years of cultural significance and provenance will make things difficult in that case

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont see how dropping the gloves is gonna make a headkick feel any less like being cracked across the skull with a baseball bat. or being dropped on the canvas head first etc. the best solution to concussions in contact sports is to improve the post competition medical care as well as the research and technology involved as much as possible. or to outlaw contact sports but 6000+ years of cultural significance and provenance will make things difficult in that case

Yeah removing gloves just means people are going to favor different techniques to cause concussions not that there will be less concussions.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont see how dropping the gloves is gonna make a headkick feel any less like being cracked across the skull with a baseball bat. or being dropped on the canvas head first etc. headgear would seem like a better idea. but i think the best solution to concussions in contact sports is to improve the post competition medical care as well as the research and technology involved as much as possible. or to outlaw contact sports but 6000+ years of cultural significance and provenance will make things difficult in that case

Last I checked there was also a lot of talk about how headgear in combat sports might actually make poo poo worse somehow

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

DeimosRising posted:

Didn't old bare knuckle fights feature a lot more body shots and a lot fewer punches to the head?

Current bare knuckle fights are like this, too. They mostly just jab and hunt for the body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfEDqOBTKV0

vainman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 20, 2017

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Lethwei is kind of what you're proposing except they wrap their hands

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If you want to relive memories of PRIDE there's going to be a Rizin show in October with the second round of a GP with Kyoji Horiguchi, and whatever other dumb poo poo they put on it.

I'm down for that. I'll plan for Rizin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Novum posted:

Last I checked there was also a lot of talk about how headgear in combat sports might actually make poo poo worse somehow

It's extremely hard to normalize the chaos of everything that can go on in sparring and fighting, but I could see one explanation being that having a slightly improved chin will keep you hanging in longer and maybe take 5 subconcussive shots instead of going down on 4.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Novum posted:

this is just my guess but i bet itd be becos thered be less knockouts, but still a lot of impacts to the head. and the stuff they use in amateur combat sports, that leather BS, its bad protection.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's the combination of overconfidence and more blind angles

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You can't make make the sport of "hurt people" safe and at some point them's just the breaks. But jacked up hands have definitely ended careers so I bet there'd be a lot less overhands and other punches with a decent chance of going straight to the dome

Edit to be clear I don't think that wlike reduce concussions or make the sport safer, I was just spitballing about how it would be different

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

It's the combination of overconfidence and more blind angles

I don't find my headgear to be confining, visually.
I do take plenty of punches that make me think, hmm, that would have been worse without headgear, better get in there now instead of taking a break.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Headgear is pretty well-designed in terms of sightlines. I think the little bit of padding is probably a good thing for your brain in the long term but I don't know if there have been any long term studies about it

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
What I've heard is the headgear is bad in the same way that thicker gloves are bad for you, in the sense that both allow you to take far more blows to the head than you normally would and over time it adds up. Makes sense to me.

Rogan does have a hard-on for complaining about MMA gloves in general though. So far I don't think anybody's discovered a better alternative.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think gloves are necessary or dudes are gonna break their hands like crazy

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Joanna broke her hand on a couple of faces (and still went the full rounds), right?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Headgear is really really bad to wear. It turns the shock of getting hit from a local one to one that sort of spreads throughout the whole headgear. I much prefer getting hit in the head without it. It kind of makes you go bwoooong whenever you get hit and dudes get knocked out with it on anyway. It protects from cuts but I would be willing to bet it is worse for your brain.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

Headgear is really really bad to wear. It turns the shock of getting hit from a local one to one that sort of spreads throughout the whole headgear. I much prefer getting hit in the head without it. It kind of makes you go bwoooong whenever you get hit and dudes get knocked out with it on anyway. It protects from cuts but I would be willing to bet it is worse for your brain.

The brain gets hurt when it's accelerated into the cranium. Rotational acceleration is especially bad. More mass on your head and more deformation of that mass both decrease acceleration. So on an individual blow basis, headgear is good.

Another argument is that you get clipped on the headgear for strikes that would have otherwise missed you entirely. I get that, but it seems pretty minor. Sometimes a guy's headgear will get rotated on their head of a grazing punch, which would require a ref to correct in competition.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Apparently Cody is off 213.

He's only 25 and his back is already a mess. TJ vs. DJ would be awesome.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Gay Horney posted:

you obviously don't wear enough headgear if you think this

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I wear a gamer headset 20 hours a day and have brain damage

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

handsome only face posted:

I wear a gamer headset 20 hours a day and have brain damage

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm just recalling what the "AIBA ditching headgear" articles were saying when they made the change. The research showed that fighters in headgear feel as if they can take bigger punches while having it on, and the peripheral vision is impaired a little, but enough to make a difference.

Admittedly I'm recalling from two years ago. I'm 100% sure on point #1, and like 60% on point #2.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was always just a fuckin mook but I hated wearing headgear sparring and stopped altogether pretty quickly. I really don't like the idea of it because I Don't think it makes anything safer at all in combat sports. Harm reduction is fine, but I don't think it actually serves that purpose.

Opal posted:

What I've heard is the headgear is bad in the same way that thicker gloves are bad for you, in the sense that both allow you to take far more blows to the head than you normally would and over time it adds up. Makes sense to me.

Rogan does have a hard-on for complaining about MMA gloves in general though. So far I don't think anybody's discovered a better alternative.

Rogans a weird purist who wants to see no time limits on rounds again during a fight on a basketball sized arena with no gloves and minimal rules. He goes deep into that sort of stuff at times, but I think the UFC and other MMA competitions gives us the best ruleset to maintain a basic level of safety while forcing a relatively "fair" outcome in fights.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
They really need to get rid of the ban on knees to a grounded opponent though. gently caress all this half-assed two hands down bullshit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Olympics dropped head guards in boxing because they received data and research showing concussions are reduced when the fighters don't wear them.

They still had women wear them though because ???????????.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They really need to get rid of the ban on knees to a grounded opponent though. gently caress all this half-assed two hands down bullshit.

Even the most extreme example of this, Coleman vs. Goes from Pride, doesn't dissuade me from agreeing with you. The damage was done there by poo poo refereeing - Coleman landed the first knee, Goes went limp, he then hits three more knees to an increasingly hosed up opponent while the ref gets into position to see what's going on to stop the fight.

Of course then Goes decides the fight isn't over, possibly caused by the pressure on his brain from the bleed it just acquired.

Edit: found a decent version of it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm surprised the reffing in Pride never got anyone killed

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

chaleski posted:

I'm surprised the reffing in Pride never got anyone killed

Yoshida vs Thompson may have been the closest one

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
some days fujita's face twitches towards what might be a smile when he's wheeled in front of the window and the sun is out. those are good days.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Neurosis posted:

some days fujita's face twitches towards what might be a smile when he's wheeled in front of the window and the sun is out. those are good days.

:[

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

TheCool69 posted:

Yoshida vs Thompson may have been the closest one

Pretty sure Vovchanchyn/Inoue has that one beat. You could tell Enson's brain was swelling by looking at his head.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Having headgear was good for me. I disliked wearing it because my pair was sold to me by my then head coach and it sucked and wasn't fitted properly for a teenager whose going to go up a couple sizes :(

My old boxing instructor always told me headgear only helped decrease the number of ugly cuts and doctor stoppages in competition. I've​ probably taken shots which would have broken bones on my face has we not been wearing headgear and using big gloves

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Id rather have some broken bones than a concussion personally .. even putting aside the long term damage a concussion can cause, you can be back to doing cardio in a week with say a broken collar but a concussion is like 2 months off

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Broken bones in your face is probably a concussion.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Broken bones in your face is probably a concussion.

maybe but not necessarily. if a bone breaks then its absorbing some or a lot of the shock that would otherwise rattle your brain, its the same principle as bike helmets which are designed to take an impact and then be replaced. if someone is pummeling your face and a bone breaks as a result of constant stress then its probably a concussion but 1 hard shot that breaks like your orbital or something it might save you from the brunt of a brain impact

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 21, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I bet Stefan Struve wishes his jaw had broken in the first against Hunt rather than the third should his jaw have to break during the fight.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I recall hearing that the best data on concussions has come from doctors studying head injuries from Iraq and Afghanistan. It has lead them to redesigning the helmet a few times. Which makes football even more depressing when you consider that an NFL player has a brain that looks like it has been blown up by an IED.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

They get well compensated for sacrificing their brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

https://streamable.com/7pfe

• Locked thread