Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Can anybody reccomend a refresher of the series, like a youtube video or something? It's been a couple of years since I last saw both the series and FWWM and, while I remember most of it outside of the bullshit sections of season two, I would like to make sure I didn't forget anything important. Like the ring stuff I had completely forgotten about before watching RedLetterMedia's recent video on FWWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
What are the good and cool twin peaks books? I read the diary in high school, but not any other ones.

I was in grade 8 I think when I watched it when it was airing in tv. Bob still scared the bejeebus out of me. Him climbing over the couch, him kind of couching beside the bed. So good. I remember one night I was home alone watching an episode, and my parents came home and we had nachos and really it was kind of a way for me to have some semblance of normalcy before going to bed. We talked about reincarnation did some reason, and then I went to bed, but kept my light on because, you know, gently caress Bob. My mom grunted the light off which instantly woke me up and I stated freaking out. The next day she wondered if it was the reincarnation discussion and I agreed, because I didn't want her to not let me watch twin peaks away.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skeematic posted:

What are the good and cool twin peaks books? I read the diary in high school, but not any other ones.

I was in grade 8 I think when I watched it when it was airing in tv. Bob still scared the bejeebus out of me. Him climbing over the couch, him kind of couching beside the bed. So good. I remember one night I was home alone watching an episode, and my parents came home and we had nachos and really it was kind of a way for me to have some semblance of normalcy before going to bed. We talked about reincarnation did some reason, and then I went to bed, but kept my light on because, you know, gently caress Bob. My mom grunted the light off which instantly woke me up and I stated freaking out. The next day she wondered if it was the reincarnation discussion and I agreed, because I didn't want her to not let me watch twin peaks away.

I LOVED The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes. I got into Twin Peaks in 2009, and I was thrilled that the public library had it, since it has been long out of print, and I've never found a used copy for a decent price. I'm really surprised it hasn't come back into print, since The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer was rereleased recently.

pricklytoast
Oct 22, 2016
I am STOKED. Really can't believe it's tomorrow. Almost finished re watching season two. Really Hoping S3 is not edgy grim dark and still retains the humor and earnestness of the original. But at the same time I'm kind of wanting Lynch to completely subvert any and all expectations I have and go wild.

No matter what I'm gonna be up late Sunday watching all four (!) episodes.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I still can't believe this is actually happening, with Lynch, Frost and pretty much every living cast member back on board. And that we are getting 18 (18!) episodes directed by Lynch. I have no idea what to expect and I'm getting chills just thinking about tomorrow night.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is new music by Angelo Badalamenti. His work on the original series and FWWM is so, so good. His music is critical to establishing the show's atmosphere - there are literally no other songs even in the world of Twin Peaks except for his, with characters in the show listening to him on the jukebox and radios. So excited to hear new stuff from him.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

el oso posted:

I still can't believe this is actually happening, with Lynch, Frost and pretty much every living cast member back on board. And that we are getting 18 (18!) episodes directed by Lynch. I have no idea what to expect and I'm getting chills just thinking about tomorrow night.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is new music by Angelo Badalamenti. His work on the original series and FWWM is so, so good. His music is critical to establishing the show's atmosphere - there are literally no other songs even in the world of Twin Peaks except for his, with characters in the show listening to him on the jukebox and radios. So excited to hear new stuff from him.

I think you forgot about the masterpiece from the James Hurley Trio.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Can anybody reccomend a refresher of the series, like a youtube video or something? It's been a couple of years since I last saw both the series and FWWM and, while I remember most of it outside of the bullshit sections of season two, I would like to make sure I didn't forget anything important. Like the ring stuff I had completely forgotten about before watching RedLetterMedia's recent video on FWWM.

If you have an hour to burn, this one is really well done. Got me all the way in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUC8QH8miU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched both Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive for the first time in years today to get ready for new Twin Peaks. Man, those make little to no sense while watching them, but they're fascinating when you fit all the pieces together in your mind afterwards. They go from seemingly making no sense to making complete sense, it just takes some thought to get there.

Except Mulholland Drive which becomes abundantly clear in like the last 10 or 15 minutes of the movie.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

It's funny how in the minutes that pass between S1 ending and S2 starting, Blackie (The woman at One Eyed Jacks) is suddenly a heroin addict. And in the few hours that have passed, Donna has turned into a femme fatale.

The only problem is that it comes so suddenly.

Blackie is a heroin addict from the start. In her very first scene she complains that Ben is holding out on her, and Jerry taunts her with a baggie of heroin.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Blackie is a heroin addict from the start. In her very first scene she complains that Ben is holding out on her, and Jerry taunts her with a baggie of heroin.

No. that happens in season two.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I rewatched both Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive for the first time in years today to get ready for new Twin Peaks. Man, those make little to no sense while watching them, but they're fascinating when you fit all the pieces together in your mind afterwards. They go from seemingly making no sense to making complete sense, it just takes some thought to get there.

Except Mulholland Drive which becomes abundantly clear in like the last 10 or 15 minutes of the movie.

Yeah, great great movies. Nobody pulls off that kind of surreal dreamlike heightened reality like Lynch, he makes it all feel really natural and you go with the flow. Wherever he takes us.

I just rewatched Fire Walk With Me for preperation, man that's a relentless tense movie. David is a lot of things, a master of horror is one of them. I'm sure we'll see some fun stuff, and some crazy scary stuff over the coming weeks. Can't wait to see what they've cooked up for us.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't seen Mulholland Drive, but I have seen the diner/dumpster scene many times, and while that's a very small sampling, it still has that Lynchian dreamlike/nightmare quality.

Like, if I had a dream exactly like that scene (with the dude even talking about his own dream), I'd wake up upset, but I know I wouldn't be able to convey in words how awful and disturbing it was, it'd just be "and then some person popped out!" and it would sound lie any other jump scare.

The dumpster scene is the most intense jump scare I've ever experienced.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't seen Mulholland Drive, but I have seen the diner/dumpster scene many times, and while that's a very small sampling, it still has that Lynchian dreamlike/nightmare quality.

Like, if I had a dream exactly like that scene (with the dude even talking about his own dream), I'd wake up upset, but I know I wouldn't be able to convey in words how awful and disturbing it was, it'd just be "and then some person popped out!" and it would sound lie any other jump scare.

The dumpster scene is the most intense jump scare I've ever experienced.

same. watch the full movie

i just finished reqatching s1&2 and am watching FWWM for the first time now. keen for tomorrow

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I can't imagine what one would think Mulholland Dr is about if they've only seen the dumpster scene. I mean, most shots in that movie wouldn't make much sense out of context, but that scene hardly makes sense in context.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
Today is the day, gang. Christ, I am excited.

As far as logistics - do we know when it will be available via streaming? Is it going to go up online as soon as it begins airing on the premium cable channel?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I think you forgot about the masterpiece from the James Hurley Trio.

Also the Leland Palmer Song & Dance Revue

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Clap posted:

Today is the day, gang. Christ, I am excited.

As far as logistics - do we know when it will be available via streaming? Is it going to go up online as soon as it begins airing on the premium cable channel?

Well, I updated my Amazon subscription with a subscription to their Showtime channel for $8.99 a month, so I can just watch it on my noisy-as-hell-ps3 (soon to be replaced by a PS4 Pro I think yaaay)

But anyway, I'm actually curious about this too. Frankly, I'm expecting that they will make episodes 1+2 viewable online (on Amazon and whatever other streaming sites) at 9PM Eastern Time, when episode 1 airs. Then, at 11PM Eastern I would expect them to make episodes 3+4 available online. They might just make all 4 episodes accessible at once online, too... I mean, it's not like ANYONE is gonna be watching these out of sequence!

But I'm just guessing with that based on the usual protocol. I'm actually gonna pace myself - I won't be able to watch the episodes from Sunday night until Monday morning, and I'm gonna like... TRY and limit myself to 1 episode a day, so I can have a full week of fantastically awesome new Twin Peaks and time to digest it. Of course, the best laid plans, and so forth. It might be so enticing that I literally MUST see all 4 episodes in succession depending on how, like... intense and heavy they are to watch. It's been like, SO long since Lynch even directed anything remotely like this - actually he's never directed anything remotely like this, in point of fact, and I'm not sure anyone else has either, at least not in the modern television industry. 18 episodes is just a LOT for one guy to direct, but I always love it when TV shows stay with ONE director either entirely or almost entirely because it gives more... full structure and coherence to the over-arching themes - visual ones, stylistic ones, setting clues and laying groundwork early on for poo poo you plan on way down the road and you know some other director won't gently caress up the reveal, etc. True Detective comes to mind, which stuck with one excellent director in season 1 with great results (there was no season 2 far as I know :colbert:

But yeah I won't be making GBS threads up the thread too much for a while guys. Once we get into the rhythm of one episode a week I'll probably have more to say, these mega-premieres I often find overwhelming.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I am insanely excited for tonight.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Guess what?

There's no tomorrow...

Know why baby?

'Cause it'll never get here.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I did not have coffee and donuts nearby the first time I watched Twin peaks... This time I WILL have coffee and donuts nearby and ready. :coffee:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

I did not have coffee and donuts nearby the first time I watched Twin peaks... This time I WILL have coffee and donuts nearby and ready. :coffee:

No cherry pie?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Quote-Unquote posted:

No that's her first scene in S2. In her last scenes of S1, which takes place literally moments before, she's perfectly fine. It's just jarring enough if you go from one season straight to the next. But I suppose it's so they can do the whole 'Dose up Audrey and extort Ben out of money' plotline.

I gather this gets really convoluted if you start to include the movie, but do we take it to be true when Leland says that he knows Bob from his childhood?

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 21, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DrVenkman posted:

No that's her first scene in S2. In her last scenes of S1, which takes place literally moments before, she's perfectly fine. It's just jarring enough if you go from one season straight to the next. But I suppose it's so they can do the whole 'Dose up Audrey and extort Ben out of money' plotline.

I gather this gets really convoluted if you start to include the movie, but do we take it to be true when Leland says that he knows Bob from his childhood?

Depends on how metaphorically your take on Bob is. It could be that the meaning is that Leland was sexually abused as a child himself. That's the interpretation that makes the most sense imo. Why else is a demon spirit just chilling by a lake 35 years ago.

It could be that Bob is speaking through Leland and just loving around with the investigation.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't god drat wait. Want to skip work just for it lol.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Empress Brosephine posted:

Can't god drat wait. Want to skip work just for it lol.

Yeah, I'm so tempted to take tomorrow morning off and just watch 4 hours of Twin Peaks, but I really can't justify it. Tomorrow evening it is.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty dang excited about this! This is going to be dark and beautiful. I watched Between Two Worlds again yesterday– Lynch and the actors have such love for the material. Wife bought a cherry pie and I unfollowed the twin peaks FB group to avoid spoilers. I am as ready as I'll ever be. Let's rock, bitches.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess we can stop spoilering seasons 1 and 2 now, since everyone who was rewatching/watching the show for the first time should be done by now.

Less than 12 hours to go until multiple hours of new David Lynch-directed material for the first time in years. This is crazy! :dance:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Where can one watch the Missing Pieces?

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, I'm so tempted to take tomorrow morning off and just watch 4 hours of Twin Peaks, but I really can't justify it. Tomorrow evening it is.

Isn't it just 2 hours tonite? I hope I'm wrong because getting 4 would be great.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Where can one watch the Missing Pieces?

Missing Pieces came with the huge Twin Peaks bluray pack from a few years back.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Skeematic posted:

Isn't it just 2 hours tonite? I hope I'm wrong because getting 4 would be great.

If you have ShowtimeAnytime you can watch episodes 3 and 4 instantly.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Don't know about the States, but as I understand it, here in the UK, there are the first two hours airing live at some ungodly time of the morning, and immediately when they finish the next two are available for streaming.

If that's right, I assume it must be the same across the Atlantic.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
That is fantastic!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Is showtime anytime down for anyone else? This app doesn't seem very user friendly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

You're both wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QYCqrWqJs

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CottonWolf posted:

Don't know about the States, but as I understand it, here in the UK, there are the first two hours airing live at some ungodly time of the morning, and immediately when they finish the next two are available for streaming.

If that's right, I assume it must be the same across the Atlantic.

Yeah we get it at 2am. And I think that Sky have said the next two will be on demand as well.

Also, gently caress me, but I didn't realise some of the rot sets into S2 so quickly. Even before they solve the mystery, you got the return of Josie Packard and that story, you got Audrey getting strung out and you got Catherine returning in...disguise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait so I signed up for the 30 day free trial through the Showtime iOS app but I went to download the PS4 app and I don't see it listed. Is it only available if you sign up for Vue and then sign up for Showtime through Vue? :negative:

e: Oh, well at least I can use my same login with Showtime Anytime on my PC. That works!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait so I signed up for the 30 day free trial through the Shotime iOS app but I went to download the PS4 app and I don't see it listed. Is it only available if you sign up for Vue and then sign up for Shotime through Vue? :negative:

Yeah, there's no showtime app. And even when you have Vue, you can't use on demand content. You can't even DVR Showtime on there.

You can use your Vue+showtime login to sign in to Showtime Anywhere on other devices, though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Oh it airs tonight, right? I knew it was pretty soon at least. Funnily enough I just watched FWWM for the first time. Wonder what kind of tone this new season is gunna have: Fire Walk With Me or season 2 Ben Horne antics.
Probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sout posted:

Oh it airs tonight, right? I knew it was pretty soon at least. Funnily enough I just watched FWWM for the first time. Wonder what kind of tone this new season is gunna have: Fire Walk With Me or season 2 Ben Horne antics.
Probably both.
I'd assume more FWWM and less weird Ben Horne poo poo because FWWM was all Lynch's doing and the weird Ben Horne poo poo was the writers trying to emulate Lynch's weirdness after Lynch had distanced himself from the show. The new season is 100% Lynch-directed.