Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My favorite part of the 2013 Tomb Raider was how the enemies started off trying to taunt and scare Lara but ended up completely frightened of this woman that was mowing people down by the dozens with a machine gun and caving in people's skulls with climbing axes. The enemies in Rise of the Tomb Raider are all generic fanatics so unfortunately there's none of that there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My favorite part of the 2013 Tomb Raider was how the enemies started off trying to taunt and scare Lara but ended up completely frightened of this woman that was mowing people down by the dozens with a machine gun and caving in people's skulls with climbing axes. The enemies in Rise of the Tomb Raider are all generic fanatics so unfortunately there's none of that there
Mechanically they're both the same though since they will fight to the death either way. I hope future games, if they present enemies as being scared, make it possible to actually scare them away.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 21, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think a lot of it has to do with the narrative progression as well. I mean, 2013 Tomb Raider did get pretty gross with the early part of Lara's journey and how she's in peril and manhandled by those cultist troopers, but it also felt like a cathartic turning point when she kicks down the door and one of the guys screams, "Oh poo poo, she's got a machine gun!"

Lara's conflict in Rise is very one-note from moment one until the very end, I couldn't really give a poo poo about anything that happened

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

What is the story with everyone in Persona 5 pronouncing the name 'Ann' in a really weird way?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

spudsbuckley posted:

What is the story with everyone in Persona 5 pronouncing the name 'Ann' in a really weird way?
Despite how it's spelled in the English It's Japanese name so it's gonna have a canonical /a/ vowel sound. Or did you mean something else?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

spudsbuckley posted:

Seemingly, Atlus JP staff demanded various pronunciations for names. Takamaki and Sakamoto are also..not right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean they're right in they're how a Japanese person would pronounce them.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Despite how it's spelled in the English It's Japanese name so it's gonna have a canonical /a/ vowel sound. Or did you mean something else?

i thought she was supposed to be half finnish or something and that's where it came from. would explain the /a/ sound.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Attitude Indicator posted:

i thought she was supposed to be half finnish or something and that's where it came from. would explain the /a/ sound.
She's half white as HELL to have blue eyes and blond hair despite being half Japanese.

But hey, that's anime.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Side effect of her progression, really. They're taking her seriously from the beginning after all - you can hear the big gruff bad guy dude getting berated for thinking a couple of dudes with guns could stop Lara - which doesn't leave that much to go from. It's fantastic to hear enemies freaking out, but the game's already recycling enough.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I bought divinity yesterday but it is really stretching my patience. Is there any way to turn up the autosave frequency? I just lost an hour because I dug up a dirt pile that was a hidden bomb and instant killed my entire party. Then I played for another 40 minutes but lost a game of rock paper scissors which makes me miss out on 2 quests that had opened up the first time. Movement speed is glacial too, takes forever to get around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. I forgot how saves work. I thought you could manually save? Maybe not though I remember losing an hour or more at times.

But yeah that game will test your patience. I quit after 20 hours because it moved at such a snails pace, it was kind of insane. Worst inventory management in the history of video games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's designed to be played with a m+kb and shows unfortunately

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Alien: Isolation- The collection.

Worth $15.99?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Alien: Isolation- The collection.

Worth $15.99?

If you loved the movies, especially the first 2, you'll have like 40 hours of content all of it handcrafted for maximum fan enjoyment.
If you're a casual fan or just looking for a slower paced horror title you'll probably only care for the main campaign of the base game.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

OxMan posted:

If you loved the movies, especially the first 2, you'll have like 40 hours of content all of it handcrafted for maximum fan enjoyment.
If you're a casual fan or just looking for a slower paced horror title you'll probably only care for the main campaign of the base game.

Cool, thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alien isolation is great.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I stopped playing Undertake after two hours, but I couldn't stop playing Lisa until I finished it. The sequel was pretty bad though.

That's my story.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alien: Isolation is basically a reskinned Amnesia: The Dark Descent with relatively unfun gameplay. It goes from mildly tense to frustrating after you die playing hide and seek with the alien a few dozen times, and most of the actual gameplay is finding keys to unlock doors

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really. The Aliens AI is actually pretty good and I found the hide and seek better than any other game. It's broken up nicely with some shooting segments. Nice simple enjoyable narrative. Overall good game. maybe a hair too long.

And Amnesia was a good game anyways so I don't know why that's a slight against it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alien Isolation is awesome.

One thing to note, hiding under tables on the harder modes will get you sniffed out and killed because the Alien is so active. On Hard difficulty the Alien is constantly walking out in the open so you'll need to be walking swiftly rather than hiding, but it definitely kills some of the tension.

I preferred Normal difficulty because it made the Alien more random and less overtly aggressive, but hiding was still a viable strategy.

edit; still, that game has some of the best artistic direction of any game I've played. So many little cool doodads and machines, it really does make you feel like a trained mechanic.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 21, 2017

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

On one hand hard mode can lead to many frustrating reloads in the same section, but it's also where the Alien AI shines the most. It's up to you whether you prefer an easier, less frustrating but more easily "gamed" time, or if you want some genuine ohshitohshit hold breath moments at the expense of some frustrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst problem is probably its deliberately archaic save system

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's cool, actually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What was it. Terminals or something? I forgot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You had to save in real time at a terminal, with a long animation, so you could be attacked while doing it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

She's half white as HELL to have blue eyes and blond hair despite being half Japanese.

But hey, that's anime.

There are several characters who have bright red eyes which doesn't make sense no matter where they're from, so it's probably best not to think too much about it

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Please don't overthink anime.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Whoever decided that most of the ancillary text and worldbuilding in Horizon needed to take place in the form of an open world pixel hunt needs to be smacked.

I'd appreciate a transcript of all the World Datapoint content if anyone has one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You had to save in real time at a terminal, with a long animation, so you could be attacked while doing it

Never got attacked once and the animation takes 4 seconds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Whoever decided that most of the ancillary text and worldbuilding in Horizon needed to take place in the form of an open world pixel hunt needs to be smacked.

I'd appreciate a transcript of all the World Datapoint content if anyone has one.

The world datapoint stuff is pretty ridiculous I agree. I 100%ed the game and missed 75% of them. But most of the important world building stuff is in missions for the most part. All of the world datapoint stuff I found was just little slice of life things although I'm also curious as to if they form some sort of coherent body of work if you collect them all.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Finished the first palace in P5 with 10 days to spare.

This is a real good game.

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 21, 2017

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Sakurazuka posted:

It's designed to be played with a m+kb and shows unfortunately

I don't have a problem with this in theorey, but I already turned off voices so I could read the text without distraction as their vo is painfully drawn out & if the movement speed out of combat could be twice as fast I'd be so much more on board.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kirbysuperstar posted:

Takamaki and Sakamoto are also..not right.

That's the biggest reason why I went with JP and subs.

I think Ann is supposed to be 1/4 American, which makes no sense given her appearance, but that's anime genetics.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Her parents are swedish/japanese models/photographers that lived in LA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I took a course in anime genetics and red eyes are a birth defect that is caused during the initial stuffing. Specifically when the honkin hooter area is overstuffed with too much cotton.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The world datapoint stuff is pretty ridiculous I agree. I 100%ed the game and missed 75% of them. But most of the important world building stuff is in missions for the most part. All of the world datapoint stuff I found was just little slice of life things although I'm also curious as to if they form some sort of coherent body of work if you collect them all.

The world datapoints are pretty much your only window into how utterly poo poo the pre-collapse world was - just the first handful point out that over a billion people died in climate collapse events (and prominent political figures openly call for anyone wishing for remembrance of the dead to find the nearest ocean and drown themselves), and corporations are literally allowed to run for office via Supreme Court decisions.

All of the really noteworthy storytelling in Horizon is the pre-collapse text-only material. The actual "present day" storyline is mediocre at its best, and it's very rarely at its best.

edit: hahaha oh my god whoever wrote this stuff should have taken sword in hand and overthrown the tapioca dipshits in charge of the actual story:

quote:

t's a lonely world out there. Sometimes, you need a little high-tech help to find your one-and-only. After wading through the ocean of apps in the "Dating and Romance" category, we're confident we've found the coolest (if maybe also the nerdiest) one. RPGreet grafts the familiar mechanics of role playing games onto the messy, chaotic world of romance, and the result is a lot more fun than you might expect.

Users gain (or lose) experience by going on successful (or not so much) dates. After each date, users are invited to give their prospective partner one of many ratings, such as Orc (-25 XP), NPC (-10 XP), Starting Character (+10 XP), or Multiclass Wizard/Thief of Hearts (+25).

The app is a little intimidating for users in the early going (who wants to date a LVL 1?). But it doesn't take long to pick up a few levels and earn a little more attention. RPGreet's augmented reality interface is pretty fantastic as well. Activate your Focus, open the app, and suddenly, the stats of everyone in your vicinity with an RPGreet account are displayed right there next to them in real space.

So if you're looking to strengthen your flirt game at the caff-shop, RPGreet's got you covered. (Tech Breakfast is legally required to notify readers that the above content was paid for by RPGreet and does not necessarily reflect the actual opinions or experiences of Tech Breakfast or its contributors).

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The worst problem is probably its deliberately archaic save system

It's really bad.

I liked Isolation but it is WAY too long and there's some shocking UI decisions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

some of the difficulty in alien isolation actually really takes away from making the game scary since at some point you're just sick of getting killed and it sort of removes all the tension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The facehuggers should have never made it past playtesting. That section is awful.